A Song of Ice and Fire: Tourney at Ashford Previews

A Song of Ice and Fire: Tourney at Ashford Previews

Postby Kakita Nanami on Tue May 09, 2017 7:55 pm

Prologue I: Along the Roseroad
The wooden shovel, wet in his hands from the steady drizzle, chafed the man’s hands as he worked at the damp earth. Taking a deep breath, he hauled himself out the hole to sit on the edge, cool dampness pressing against his skin through light trousers. Yes, he decided, the hole was definitely deep enough now. A look of sadness on his face, he pushed to his feet and walked the few short feet to the tree where the old man’s body lay stretched out beneath it.

He wasn’t a big man by any means; even in the old man’s wasted state, it took him some effort to lift the body. Even for his old age – closer to sixty, than fifty, the man figured – the deceased knight was still heavy. He’d lived a long life, the man decided, and how many men can say that? Still, the man frowned as he lowered the body of his mentor into the grave.

The man stood over the hole in the ground, staring down at the body of the man who’d changed his life so much. He supposed that he thought this would be different but, in the end, Ser Arlan had died the way he lived – as a hedge knight. The man had rode at his side, his squire for years, from keep to keep, taking service with this lord and lord, fighting in their battles and feasting in their halls until the war was done before moving on.

There had always been tourneys from time to time as well – how Ser Arlan had loved the tourneys! Of course the old man hadn’t ridden in a tilt himself, not since the tourney at Storm’s End where he’d rode against the Prince of Dragonstone himself years before. Ser Arlan always told him they had seven times passed against each other but, in the end, the old man had been unseated by the Prince. It is not every man who can boast that he broke seven lances against the finest knight in the Seven Kingdoms, he had said.

“That was how I’d always thought you’d die, old man,” the man said, frowning. “On the battlefield, not on the side of some muddy road.” That brought something else the old man had always said to mind: Another day done and who knows what the morrow will bring us, eh?

One morrow had brought the rains – the same blasted rain he wiped from his face now. The one after that had brought gusts of wind. The next, a chill – it was, after all, hardly yet spring. By the fourth day, the old man had been too weak to ride.

“And now you’re gone.” The man rubbed the back of his head, “I’d leave your sword but it would only rust in the ground.” Maybe the gods would give the knight a new one; he’d done so much he only deserved it.

He reached for the shovel again and glanced back to the knight’s body, “I wish you didn’t die, ser. You were a true knight and you never beat me when I didn’t deserve it.” Well, except that one time at Harrenhal; he hadn’t touched that stable girl, no matter what she’d said – he wasn’t like that at all. But he guessed it didn’t matter now.

The shovel scooped up some dirt and the man looked down one last time, “The gods keep you, uncle.”

It took Ser Robert of Pennytree nearly an hour in the rain to bury his uncle. By the time he’d finished, the sun was already coming up; the horses needed to be seen to, he realized. But then what? As he patted down Sweetfoot, his uncle’s old rounsey, he considered his option. He’d only ever known the life of a hedge knight; there was little else he could do.

They had been headed to the tournament at Ashford, perhaps he could – no, Robert decided quickly, that would never do. He was no tournament knight, he had never been able to manage even the simplest of tilts; he’d never make it there – no, Ashford would be for other champions. He could always go to Highgarden or Lannisport and find himself work as a guard. Surely someone would take him on; he had served with Ser Arlan for the Lannisters before, after all.

Satisfied with his decision, he packed up his little camp and led the horses down the road, towards the city of Highgarden.

Sometime later, he passed a small inn by the side of the road. A young boy, no more than eight years old with a clean shaven pate, pulled himself from the river where bathed. The bald boy wrapped himself in his simple clothes, watching as the strange hedge knight rode by without a word or so much as glancing in his way.

The boy frowned internally as he padded into the inn; he’d been hoping that one would stop – then he might have been able to get away from here, away from –

“Aegon!” the drunken call came. “Aegon! I need you!”

The boy sighed and went to the source of the call, “Yes, brother?”

The drunk’s eyes were bloodshot from several days of drinking, his clothes reeking of whatever types of drink he could manage to find. He closed his eyes and shook his head, “Aegon… I-I had a dream, brother…”

“A dream?” the boy sat beside his brother, suddenly interested. “Tell me, brother.”

“I had a dream of… two dragons, one red, one black…” He opened his eyes opened sleepily, “They stared at each other.” He smiled slightly, putting his head down on the table, “Funny… I could have sworn they were standing over Ashford Castle...” He was snoring almost before the words were done.

Aegon frowned; this did not bode well – his brother had dreams, true dreams, and that was the only time he’d ever mentioned dragons before. What did it mean? He tapped his fingers on the table and made a decision – he had to find some way to get to Ashford, with or without his drunken lout of a brother.

Welcome to the first of the previews for The Tourney at Ashford, a game set in the universe of George R.R. Martin’s A Song of Ice and Fire – better known to most people as Game of Thrones. The game will use the A Song of Ice and Fire Roleplaying (SIFRP) system from Green Ronin.

Almost ninety years before the death of Jon Arryn would set in motion the events of the novels, though, a time of peace had settled over the Seven Kingdoms. As a new spring dawned, Darryn Ashford, Lord of House Ashford, declares a tournament in honour of his daughter’s thirteenth name day. Early in the year 209 AC, would-be champions descended upon the fields of Ashford to vie for the right to name a queen of love and beauty.

The game is currently set to begin on August 24th, a short time after GenCon, and run until the end of September of this year with character selection/submission and pre-game stuffs beginning shortly before. Feel free to ask any questions of me either here or in the appropriate Ashford channel on Discord; I (or my co-GM Jasper) will get to them as soon as we can answer them.

Players will play as a member of one of six noble houses, each sworn under a different Great House in the Seven Kingdoms: House Algood, House Dunn, House Forrester, House Kellington, House Terrick, and House Wydman. Each house will come with a handful of pre-generated characters for those who wish to forgo the character creation system and hop right in with already connected characters - we will also be accepting player made characters into those houses and will be on hand to assist with character creation and with integrating them into the existing house; these characters will all be created using the rules from the SIFRP core book.
Crane Clan • Agasha Trained • Shugenja • Small • Description
Status: 1.0 | Glory: 1.0 | Honor: What is Expected | Courtship Points: 2
Carried: Wakizashi, Tanto, Straw Hat, Cricket in a Cage
Kakita Nanami

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire: Tourney at Ashford Previews

Postby Shinjo Liu Yue on Tue May 09, 2017 7:56 pm

Have they told you who I am?!

Many people already know the sort of character I aim to play for this >.>
Unicorn - Bushi - Horrible Burns - Missing Left Arm - Damaged Eye - Rather Tall - Unfamiliar (Gaijin) Name - Dauntless
Status 1.0 - Glory 2.0 / Infamy 0.2 - Honour: Untrustworthy - Courtship: 5
Languages: Mekhem, Yobanjin

Typically Carries: Sturdy Clothing, Daisho, Fan, Small Hand Mirror, Finger of Jade, Coin Purse, Small Knife, Medicine Kit, Sake Cup

Riding Horse: Hikazume, Puppy: Gon
Shinjo Liu Yue

Postby Usagi Tomoe on Tue May 09, 2017 8:05 pm

And who are you, the proud lord said...

*whistles innocently*
Hare Clan • Sly Courtier • Sage • Soul of Tamamo-no-Mae • Herbalist • Fox-Child
ProfileMusic
Honor: Exceptional • Status: 1.0 • Glory: 1.0 • Courtship: 6!

Has: Wakizashi, pet tortoise (Ganko), fan, scroll or book, jade, stone, med-kit.
Usagi Tomoe

Postby Otaku Imane on Tue May 09, 2017 8:17 pm

There was a previous pbp game using this rule set that was wonderful but only ran for a few game days. So I'm keen to play again, but I'll be away from the 1st to the 16th of September with no internet at all. Would you be able to fit me in if I'm going to miss 5 game days?
Unicorn • Shiotome • Prodigy • Musical • Honest • Gaijin Name • Archer • Lancer • Singer
Status: 2.0 | Glory: 0.0 | Infamy: 0.1 | Honor: A Soul Above Question | Courtship Points: 9
Languages: Mekhem
Carries: Sturdy Clothing, Daisho, Flute, Light armour (where appropriate)
Carried by: Almatar (Otaku warhorse, where appropriate)
Otaku Imane

Postby Kakita Nanami on Tue May 09, 2017 8:20 pm

Otaku Imane wrote:There was a previous pbp game using this rule set that was wonderful but only ran for a few game days. So I'm keen to play again, but I'll be away from the 1st to the 16th of September with no internet at all. Would you be able to fit me in if I'm going to miss 5 game days?

Obstensibly, yes - I'm not going to turn away players necessarily and knowing in advance won't remove someone as inactive.

Also: I was in that game and it's part of the reason I even thought to run this. I had a blast during the part of it that ran.
Last edited by Kakita Nanami on Tue May 09, 2017 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kakita Nanami

Postby Soshi Bantu on Tue May 09, 2017 8:22 pm

Color me excited.

Now to refine concepts, tossing up between something Mountain-ish or more like Ser Loras...
Scorpion Clan * Duelist * Bushi * Smart Cookie * Dancer *
Honor: Untrustworthy * Glory: 1.0 * Status: 2.0 * Courtship: 2
Carries: Daisho, Smoking pipe, Go set, Mask, Yumi
Description
Soshi Bantu

Postby Kakita Nanami on Tue May 09, 2017 8:25 pm

First up, the Player Houses! Players familiar with the Southron Ambitions game of some years ago will understand and be familiar with how these work (but they are not the same houses of that game).

Each player will belong to either one of six houses, each sworn to one of the Lords Paramount of the Seven Kingdoms, or will be a hedge knight freerider. While we’ll look at each player house in more detail in the following previews, what follows is a brief summary of each house and the theme they’ll play towards.

House Algood
Vassals of House Lannister
Lord Status: 4
During the Blackfyre Rebellion, House Algood of Riverwatch stood with the Blackfyres under the promise of marriage. When the armies of the Targaryen allies rode, however, Algood found itself surrounded and occupied by the armies of House Lannister. House Algood was punished for its open loyalties to the Black Dragon and its lord executed. For thirteen years, the new Lord Algood has labored under the close watch of the Lannisters and their lackies, slowly trying to rebuild everything lost by his father without bringing further punishment down upon the family.

The theme of House Algood is rebuilding.

House Dunn
Vassals of House Tyrell
For centuries, House Dunn of the Silver Hills guarded their lands on the Dornish Marches from southron invaders. A family built around war against ancestral enemies to protect their own homeland, the Dunns have recently found themselves without purpose – with Dorne officially joined to the Seven Kingdoms, it seems the need for such defenders of the realm has passed into the fog of ages. While old enmities cannot be forgotten or forgiven so easily, House Dunn must find a new place for itself in a changing Westeros.

The theme of House Dunn is adaptation.

House Forrester
Vassals of House Stark
Once, during the earliest days of the Seven Kingdoms, House Forrester was created to protect and foster the groves of ironwoods found in the Wolfswood. In time, as peace settled on the Seven Kingdoms and the North became less involved with what the northerners soon called ‘southron ambitions,’ the need for ironwood dwindled and House Forrester faded away into nothingness. With the Blackfyre Rebellion, however, it became clear the North could not divorce itself from the conflicts of the south. Thus, House Forrester was reborn to shepherd the ironwoods once more… but others eye the valuable wood for their own purposes.

The theme of House Forrester is expansion.

House Kellington
Vassals of House Baratheon
Lord Status: 3
Formed after the victory of a daring bandit lord over invading Andals, House Kellington of Kellington has seen far better days. Lord Cedric Kellington rules from a near ruin of a castle perched among the crags of the Stormlands. Once a powerful house, Kellington’s influence has dwindled significantly to the point that even its banner house, the Cafferens, rival them for power. Whispers circulate about Lord Cedric’s lack of wife – could House Kellington soon find itself extinct?

The theme of House Kellington is survival.

House Terrick
Vassals of House Tully
Squeezed between the lands of House Frey and the cold shores of Ironman’s Bay, House Terrick is a house of mixed ancestry and torn loyalties. House Frey and House Mallister make constant demands as neighbours to the small house and the ironborn demand tributes lest they raid the weakened defenses of the Terricks. With a single male heir and a half dozen daughters, Lord Terrick seeks any way to dig his house out of the situation it’s been left in but still stands wary of the trap any other houses might draw them into.

The theme of House Terrick is freedom.

House Wydman
Vassals of House Arryn
Though the Vale stands separate from many conflicts that ravage the rest of Westeros, it is not without its own share of hardships. House Wydman is a perfect example of those hardships; their lands, primarily contained within the Mountains of the Moon, are beset by the mountain clans of the Vale who long ago rejected the Andal kings. Although the family itself is safe within the walls of Highhome, the clansmen raid their territory and terrorize their peasantry. The house has resources to offer – if only it could find a way to protect them.

The theme of House Wydman is protection.
Kakita Nanami

Postby Ide Amaya on Tue May 09, 2017 8:50 pm

I need to speak with Mizuki, but pretty strong odds I'll be applying to join this!

Psst, Mizuki, Kellington yeah?
Last edited by Ide Amaya on Tue May 09, 2017 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
• Unicorn Courtier • [Profile - Updated 4/29]
• Small • Gullible • Voice • Inner Gift (Animal Ken) • Love Actuary •
• Honor: Expected • Status: 1.0 • Infamy: 0.2 • Glory: 0.0 • Courtship: 5 •
Carries: Wakazashi, Seppun Fan, Personal Chop, Book of Poetry, Hand Mirror, Wooden Hair Comb, Partial Makeup Kit, Satsujin - a weasel.

Image Tokma - a Gaijin riding horse
Ide Amaya

Postby Soshi Bantu on Tue May 09, 2017 8:56 pm

Might be a little early for questions, but would a missing eye be justification enough for a rating of 1 in marksmanship?
Description
Soshi Bantu

Postby Isawa Nonin on Tue May 09, 2017 9:45 pm

Looks fun but coincides with a week when I will be away from home and reliable internet access. Will ponder.
Isawa NoninPhoenix Clan • Shugenja • Animals Like Me
Status: 1.0 | Glory: 1.0 | Honor: What is Expected | Courtship Points: 5

Carries: Wakizashi, Medicine Kit, another Medicine Kit, Scroll Satchel
Sometimes accompanied by a puppy.
Isawa Nonin

Postby Soshi Bantu on Tue May 09, 2017 9:48 pm

Having trouble finding discord server...any help?
Description
Soshi Bantu

Postby Kakita Nanami on Tue May 09, 2017 9:52 pm

Soshi Bantu wrote:Having trouble finding discord server...any help?

https://discord.gg/dmX3p8S
That should give you access, as far as I know.

Also: still considering the question. Dropping stats down to 1 is usually a huge handicap.
Kakita Nanami

Postby Soshi Taira on Tue May 09, 2017 9:56 pm

I'm very confused about what this is, but the idea of knights in PbP intrigues me.
Scorpion Clan :: Good Cop :: Doctor :: Paragon :: Pragmatic :: Spirit-Touched :: Cursed
Honor: Untrustworthy Status: 1.0 Glory: 3.0 CP: 2
Carries: Daisho, medical satchel, black and red kimono, tall collar 'mask', ink-splotched fan
Now treating: Patient No.18

Description:: Theme:: Struggle
Soshi Taira

Postby Soshi Bantu on Tue May 09, 2017 9:58 pm

many thanks
Description
Soshi Bantu

Postby Ide Amaya on Tue May 09, 2017 10:01 pm

Soshi Taira wrote:...

I'm very confused about what this is, but the idea of knights in PbP intrigues me.

*glomps* Jooooooin ussssssss...
• Unicorn Courtier • [Profile - Updated 4/29]
• Small • Gullible • Voice • Inner Gift (Animal Ken) • Love Actuary •
• Honor: Expected • Status: 1.0 • Infamy: 0.2 • Glory: 0.0 • Courtship: 5 •
Carries: Wakazashi, Seppun Fan, Personal Chop, Book of Poetry, Hand Mirror, Wooden Hair Comb, Partial Makeup Kit, Satsujin - a weasel.

Image Tokma - a Gaijin riding horse
Ide Amaya

Next

Return to Out of Character Chat