[Day 1 - Late Evening] Campfire Stories

Re: [Day 1 - Late Evening] Campfire Stories

Postby Otomo Tenzo on Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:09 pm

My, how inquisitive they all are!, Tenzo thought to himself as he leaned out to hand back the kumis-skin to Khulun. "My thanks, Moto-san. Perhaps one day you very well might, Moto-san, but such cannot be guaranteed as you might understand that the Son of Heaven is a very, very busy ruler, moreso than than the family and even clan daimyo for He has the whole of the realm for which matters administrative, judicial, religious, and military must be decided, even when there are many assistants and His most trusted subordinates to help. Those assigned to or invited to appear before the Imperial Court in the Capital and those with invitation to the Winter Court are most likely to meet Him, and on some occasion does the Son of Heaven travel the realm for highly important events, though outside of Winter Court such is rare."

With the skin out of his hand, he removed from one of his kimono sleeves his short little kiseru, pre-packed with very fine kizami, and with a quick dip into the fire he soon took a couple puffs from it before looking to Khulun - "you are more than welcome to share in some if you wish, Moto-san, some of the finest that I could fine for such a momentous occasion" - before turning to Baatar and his lingering question. How to put this gently...

"The Otomo are... more like the Ide of your clan: diplomats, ambassadors, emissaries, and scholars. And the Miya as well, I might add. Such dates back to the appearance of the Kami, in fact: one of Seppun-dono's sons trained with the strongest and most renowned warriors of the day while another trained with the wisest and most learned shugenja, and it is from the two that the Seppun came to defend the Son of Heaven and his family from threats both physical and spiritual in nature." Another puff from the kiseru.

"Otomo-dono, meanwhile, was a gifted negotiator and orator, working to keep the peace in the early Empire, and Miya-dono as well with skill in riding horse and running to bring messages to every far-flung part of the land. All of their followers trained in their techniques, honed and practiced them over the years, refined and perfected them over the centuries, and that is how the Seppun became like the Emperor's Blade and the Otomo and Miya like the Emperor's Voice. Not all train as such, however: those Otomo and Miya that speak with the kami train in the schools of the Seppun, and those with Seppun mothers might train as Miharu if they so choose. On more than one occasion did a Hantei taking up the Otomo name pursue the martial arts - Otomo Tsurichi-dono was said to have been a noted duelist, for instance. Many that have entered the family through marriage hold many martial accomplishments as well: Otomo Jotomon-sama is known throughout the Empire for many such things, most recently in the march through the Shinomen against the Naga." Yet another puff.

"... perhaps this has trended more toward history lecture than story, but this one hopes it was found enjoyable nonetheless." He drew a couple more puffs from the kiseru, this time exhaling forth a smoky ring over the fire, as he glanced over to Khulun and back to Baatar. "As Shinjo-san shared in the tale of the esteemed Akil-sama, it has left me to wonder: whom among the Moto would one say I must know the tale of?"
Imperial | Seiyaku | Archivist | Wealthy | Blessed | Fortunate... or not so much?
Honor: What is expected | Glory: 1.0 | Status: 2.5 | Courtship Points: 8

Carries: personal chop, chopsticks, kiseru, sake cup, fan, and pleeeenty of paper

Description!
Otomo Tenzo

Postby Moto Khulun on Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:14 pm

She listens again and accepts the kiseru as offered and takes a deep drag before returning it. She holds it in for a moment then lets it go with a satisfying smile and says, “You have my thanks Otomo-sama.”

She listens more and nods with understanding at his description of the Imperial families. When he speaks of who he should know she laughs and says, “Moto have ten-thousand heroes, Empire should know of them all but if I must choose surely any Moto here is worthy of knowing. Sayyed Baatar is young but brave and rides to battle when called, he will make strong husband for any samurai!”

“Ah you should seek Sayyed Butaj, he is good voice and strong fighter. Challenge him to ba-ri-qu! He too would be strong husband with strong seed, Moto seed is strong! He challenges a Scorpion tomorrow in wrestling match, see his strength for yourself!”

She then pounds her chest and adds, “I am niece of Moto daimyo, child of heroes and descended from many strong Moto and wield strong blade in battle, surely I am worthy of your attentions!”
Bushi | Tough | Barbaric | Wealthy | Kuge | Strange Name | Description
Status: 1.0 | Glory: 0.0 | Infamy: 0 | Honor: Untrustworthy | Theme | Courtship Points: 4
Possessions: Daisho, Sturdy Clothes (Furs and Leather), Riding Armor, Unicorn Horse, Red Steel Katana "Massacre", Nintoku's Fan
Moto Khulun

Postby Otomo Tenzo on Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:00 pm

"It will take quite some time for the Empire to remember ten-thousand names, but in due time I am sure they will," Tenzo answered, puffing away on the kiseru as he heard more of the Moto of note and nodded as the various names and proclamations made. "Most certainly, Moto-san. And I hope to meet many of your heroes here in the village - and the esteemed ones that I have met already, well, perhaps time might also be found to know them better." A more obvious smile he allowed this time before taking long draw, and this time, a ring inside of a ring out above the fire.
Imperial | Seiyaku | Archivist | Wealthy | Blessed | Fortunate... or not so much?

Carries: personal chop, chopsticks, kiseru, sake cup, fan, and pleeeenty of paper

Description!
Otomo Tenzo

Postby Shinjo Hanashi on Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:12 pm

"That's a neat trick there, Otomo-sama." Hanashi nods in appreciation.
Unicorn Clan • Marta Family • Teller of Tales • No Right Eye • Well-Voiced • Wounded
Status: 1.5 | Glory: 0.0 | Honor: What is Expected | Courtship points: 0
Generally Equipped: Daisho, Eyepatch, Sturdy Unicorn Clothing, Tanto, Chopsticks
When with Horse: Daikyu, Willowleaf arrows, Blanket

A voice to lighten the weight of those who travel.
Shinjo Hanashi

Postby Otomo Tenzo on Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:28 pm

"It is nothing at all, Shinjo-san, but the thought is appreciated: a bit of practice with the shape and it comes easily enough. Would you like to try some as well, Shinjo-san? It is quite fresh, one will find, and cut just perfectly so," the Otomo said, holding out the kiseru in offering.

Description!
Otomo Tenzo

Postby Moto Baatar on Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:32 pm

Moto Khulun wrote:“Ah you should seek Sayyed Butaj, he is good voice and strong fighter. Challenge him to ba-ri-qu! He too would be strong husband with strong seed, Moto seed is strong! He challenges a Scorpion tomorrow in wrestling match, see his strength for yourself!”

She then pounds her chest and adds, “I am niece of Moto daimyo, child of heroes and descended from many strong Moto and wield strong blade in battle, surely I am worthy of your attentions!”

"Khulun is a fierce warrior, she would make a fine wife for the Emperor's man," Baatar affirmed. "But don't seek out Butaj. He is a weak-minded idiot, hardly worthy of the Moto name."
Unicorn Clan • Samurai • Gaijin Name • Failure of Courtesy
Honor: Untrustworthy • Status: 1.0 • Glory: 0.0 • Courtship: 4
carries: scimitar, wakizashi, shochu, puppy. when appropriate: Unicorn horse, riding armor
Moto Baatar

Postby Moto Khulun on Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:38 pm

Khulun says, “Any other interesting tricks, Imperial?”
Status: 1.0 | Glory: 0.0 | Infamy: 0 | Honor: Untrustworthy | Theme | Courtship Points: 4
Possessions: Daisho, Sturdy Clothes (Furs and Leather), Riding Armor, Unicorn Horse, Red Steel Katana "Massacre", Nintoku's Fan
Moto Khulun

Postby Shinjo Hanashi on Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:46 pm

Otomo Tenzo wrote:"It is nothing at all, Shinjo-san, but the thought is appreciated: a bit of practice with the shape and it comes easily enough. Would you like to try some as well, Shinjo-san? It is quite fresh, one will find, and cut just perfectly so," the Otomo said, holding out the kiseru in offering.

Hanashi shakes his head, "Nah, the smoke scratches my throat and as its how I perform my duties, can't risk it. Honored though."
Unicorn Clan • Marta Family • Teller of Tales • No Right Eye • Well-Voiced • Wounded
Generally Equipped: Daisho, Eyepatch, Sturdy Unicorn Clothing, Tanto, Chopsticks

Shinjo Hanashi

Postby Matsu Kogo on Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:48 pm

Shinjo Hanashi wrote:
Otomo Tenzo wrote:"It is nothing at all, Shinjo-san, but the thought is appreciated: a bit of practice with the shape and it comes easily enough. Would you like to try some as well, Shinjo-san? It is quite fresh, one will find, and cut just perfectly so," the Otomo said, holding out the kiseru in offering.

Hanashi shakes his head, "Nah, the smoke scratches my throat and as its how I perform my duties, can't risk it. Honored though."

"Your voice is valuable, like a warrior's weapon. It is just that you keep it cared for and ready. It would be tragic for a story teller to be forced to silence."
Lion Clan • Beastmaster • Gullible • Idealistic • Paragon: Courtesy
Honor: What is expected l Status: 1 l Glory: 1 l Courtship : 1

Carries: Wakizashi, sweets, traveling game of Go, jade

internal thoughts
Accompanied by Warcat Noburu at most times.
Matsu Kogo

Postby Otomo Tenzo on Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:11 pm

"For another time, perhaps: one does not reveal all in but a single night," Tenzo noted to Khulun and then offered a nod to Hanashi. "All well and good, Shinjo-san: even I do not partake but upon special occasion for after enough time I find it drying and, as you point out, scratchy as well. I do think I start to feel it now, which is as good a sign as any..." he started but left the rest unsaid as he moved the kiseru close to his face to look into the bowl, took a look at the remaining contents, and unceremoniously overturned it into the fire before holding the kiseru off to his side for a time so the bowl would cool.

Description!
Otomo Tenzo

Postby Shinjo Hanashi on Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:19 pm

Matsu Kogo wrote:"Your voice is valuable, like a warrior's weapon. It is just that you keep it cared for and ready. It would be tragic for a story teller to be forced to silence."

Hanashi smiles a bit, skin crinkling at the corner of his eye. "Thank you Matsu-sama. If you treat storytellers this well, perhaps there is something to this rumor I have heard about the skill of an Ikoma."

Otomo Tenzo wrote:"For another time, perhaps: one does not reveal all in but a single night," Tenzo noted to Khulun and then offered a nod to Hanashi. "All well and good, Shinjo-san: even I do not partake but upon special occasion for after enough time I find it drying and, as you point out, scratchy as well. I do think I start to feel it now, which is as good a sign as any..." he started but left the rest unsaid as he moved the kiseru close to his face to look into the bowl, took a look at the remaining contents, and unceremoniously overturned it into the fire before holding the kiseru off to his side for a time so the bowl would cool.

"Pfffff only from time to time. Otomo-sama, if so, you must be highly skilled with that mouth of yours to make such pretty rings with hardly no practice. You'll make a wife quite happy some day soon." Hanashi grinned a bit at that, happy to have found strangers who understood the value of a good story.

Shinjo Hanashi

Postby Matsu Kogo on Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:23 pm

Shinjo Hanashi wrote:
Matsu Kogo wrote:"Your voice is valuable, like a warrior's weapon. It is just that you keep it cared for and ready. It would be tragic for a story teller to be forced to silence."

Hanashi smiles a bit, skin crinkling at the corner of his eye. "Thank you Matsu-sama. If you treat storytellers this well, perhaps there is something to this rumor I have heard about the skill of an Ikoma."

Otomo Tenzo wrote:"For another time, perhaps: one does not reveal all in but a single night," Tenzo noted to Khulun and then offered a nod to Hanashi. "All well and good, Shinjo-san: even I do not partake but upon special occasion for after enough time I find it drying and, as you point out, scratchy as well. I do think I start to feel it now, which is as good a sign as any..." he started but left the rest unsaid as he moved the kiseru close to his face to look into the bowl, took a look at the remaining contents, and unceremoniously overturned it into the fire before holding the kiseru off to his side for a time so the bowl would cool.

"Pfffff only from time to time. Otomo-sama, if so, you must be highly skilled with that mouth of yours to make such pretty rings with hardly no practice. You'll make a wife quite happy some day soon." Hanashi grinned a bit at that, happy to have found strangers who understood the value of a good story.

Kogo is caught off guard, once again. Did he....He did! Kogo's ears start to turn slightly red along with her cheeks, but she covers it by scooting close to the fire and warming her hands, hoping the color of the flames will cover the redness. With just a tinch of pause she says, "The Ikoma...are famed for their history and work. I suspect you would enjoy hearing one speak as you have tonight. It is a different style, but compelling."

/ooc never been so grateful i took balance
Lion Clan • Beastmaster • Gullible • Idealistic • Paragon: Courtesy
Honor: What is expected l Status: 1 l Glory: 1 l Courtship : 1

Carries: Wakizashi, sweets, traveling game of Go, jade

internal thoughts
Accompanied by Warcat Noburu at most times.
Matsu Kogo

Postby Moto Khulun on Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:27 pm

The Moto princess just listens and takes a seat enjoying the heat of the flames.
Moto Khulun

Postby Moto Baatar on Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:45 am

As the fire began to die down, Moto Baatar found himself yawning.

"Eh... time to head back to my tent," he said, in the middle of another yawn. "Good stories, thanks."

Standing up, he left the fireside.
Unicorn Clan • Samurai • Gaijin Name • Failure of Courtesy
Honor: Untrustworthy • Status: 1.0 • Glory: 0.0 • Courtship: 4
carries: scimitar, wakizashi, shochu, puppy. when appropriate: Unicorn horse, riding armor
Moto Baatar

Postby Otomo Tenzo on Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:43 pm

The Otomo simply offered a nod to Hanashi's comment. "Mmm, the hour does draw late, does it - a most pleasant evening to you, Moto-san," Tenzo said and offered a bow to Baatar as he left. Turning to the others still gathered at the fireside, he offered them all another bow as well. "It is time to withdraw to my quarters as well: a most pleasant rest of the evening to all of you and many thanks for the good stories, the kumis, and the entertainment. Perhaps another night and another campfire we might share in more tales of heroes and merriment." And with that, Tenzo departed the campfire and started the journey back to the yurt set up for him.

/exit

Description!
Otomo Tenzo

PreviousNext

Return to Northwestern Yurts