[Day 1 - Late Evening] Campfire Stories

Re: [Day 1 - Late Evening] Campfire Stories

Postby Matsu Kogo on Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:30 pm

Otomo Tenzo wrote:"Nominally with a journey to the outskirts of Kyuden Seppun and permission of the Imperial Chancellor or one of the archivists, though such can be easy to arrange: there is much interest in collecting the histories and tales of the Unicorn as well as in sharing what has occurred in the time before the return as well, I can assure. If you, Shinjo-san, or another among you were truly interested in perusing the scrolls and blocks - and even contributing to them - then this one would be more than pleased to facilitate," the Otomo offered to Hanashi before turning to Khulun.

"Indeed I will share, Moto-san: to put ink to paper is to preserve for the future, but what is a great tale if it is not spoken and shared?" He paused for a time, giving thought to how best answer her second question.

"One does not 'tell' the Son of Heaven to do anything, Moto-san: we are but advisors and counselors to His divine wisdom and grace, and on the matter of the Minor Fortunes such is solely His purview and no others," he offered. "Elevation of one to Fortune does require one to have passed on into the Heavens, and Akil-sama still walks and breathes among us, no? A good thing too if, as Shinjo-san said in his introduction, there are still many, many stanzas left to be written."

Kogo takes a subtle breath of relief. If one day, I am half as able to speak so eloquently to such a question, I will count myself learned and fortunate. "And I look forward to hearing many more from honorable Shinjo-san in the years to come. New stories are a thing to be prized."
Lion Clan • Beastmaster • Gullible • Idealistic • Paragon: Courtesy
Honor: What is expected l Status: 1 l Glory: 1 l Courtship : 1

Carries: Wakizashi, sweets, traveling game of Go, jade

internal thoughts
Accompanied by Warcat Noburu at most times.
Matsu Kogo

Postby Moto Khulun on Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:52 pm

She frowns briefly and then shrugs and says, “Well then more time for Shinjo Akil to be more heroic and certainly not even the Emperor will deny he is great fortune indeed! Indeed that gives little Baatar time to be the Fortune of something as well!”

“So as guests, please share the tales and songs of your kin! We have been gone so long surely you and yours have many great stories to tell!” She says to the guests.

She then adds with a wink, “If Fairuz and Imperial looking for strong match, then you have come to the right fire. Moto women are strong like bulls, swift as the desert winds, and far more beautiful than a prick-flower bloom.”

She emphasize her words she stands and begins an undulating dance of swaying hips and movement of her arms along with a shrill ululation to entertain and encourage the others to join her. She cared little if it looked good, she was having fun with her kin. She lived in the moment.

OOC: Dance: 3d10 19
Bushi | Tough | Barbaric | Wealthy | Kuge | Strange Name | Description
Status: 1.0 | Glory: 0.0 | Infamy: 0 | Honor: Untrustworthy | Theme | Courtship Points: 4
Possessions: Daisho, Sturdy Clothes (Furs and Leather), Riding Armor, Unicorn Horse, Red Steel Katana "Massacre", Nintoku's Fan
Moto Khulun

Postby Otomo Tenzo on Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:20 pm

"So I am beginning to learn, Moto-san... slowly but surely, with more study required..." the Otomo responded as Khulun started her hip-swaying dance. He tried to keep his eyes toward the fire and to the others assembled around it but still stole more than the occasional glance at the Moto woman, at least for a few moments until a story that he could share dawned upon him.

"Poetic like Shinjo-san I am not - calligraphy is more my art of practice and interest - but a story I can still share. Ah, you may have heard about my dear cousins, the Seppun, and in particular the Miharu, those small number of Seppun charged with the highest Duty of the Son of Heaven and their immediate family's well-being. One of the great heroes among this small and honorable guards was Seppun Fijimira. Many, many, many moons ago - perhaps three hundred years or so at this point - Fijimira was charged with watching over one of the Hantei heirs on a day when, unbeknownst to all, a conspiracy was afoot to assassinate the young heir with an arrow drenched from tip to tail with the strongest of poisons known for the time. As the young one was passing through the gardens, a hidden figure with han-kyu in hand crouched on a nearby roof let loose the fated arrow. While there were others that stood watch over the gardens, none were close to the heir except Fijimira, and even Fijimira was not in position to put himself between him and the arrow nor to tackle the young Hantei out of the way." He paused for a moment, a crackle coming from the fire while he put his hands out to warm them.

"So what did Fijimira do? With all of his might and power in his feet, he dove as hard as he could forward, arms outstretched as far as he could, and THWACK!" the Otomo shouts and, with one of his arms, swings it across him and holds it still in the center of his chest, hand clenched as hard as he could. "He snatched the arrow right in the mid of the shaft and hit the ground. The would-be assassin fled, the guards summoned, the heir whisked to safety, and there on the ground, arrow in hand, did Fijimira see the poison dripped upon the arrow. His fellow Seppun picked him up to bring him to his room but still he clutched on the arrow, refusing all attempts to have it pried from him to ensure that none other would touch it." He put his clenched fist down by his side as he continued.

"From contact with the poison, Fijimira struggled and clung to life for three days in his chambers before passing into the Heavens on the fourth. There is much speculation regarding Fijimira: one rumor being that he had inkling of this ultimate destiny and practiced snatching objects out of the air quite often in his training knowing that one day he would be called to pull upon it, but not knowing how or when or even why; another rumor going that Fijimira kept himself alive by sheer will, only allowing himself to pass peacefully from this world only when his cousin, another among the Miharu, came to his bedside to let him know that they had hunted down all responsible for the attempt and that all was truly well with the Hantei."

"Regardless, when Fijimira passed to the Heavens on the fourth day and word of the the passing made it to the Son of Heaven's ears, the Hantei went to the chambers of the man that saved the life of his dear child. It is said that, when the Hantei laid eyes upon Fijimira in his bed, the arrow was even then still clutched in his hand. And seeing Fijimira's swords sitting in place upon the daisho stand in the room, the Hantei removed the sword from the stand, lifted it up into the air, and is said to have declared: 'This - this is the sword of the Seppun.' And it was thus that not only the story of Seppun Fijimira was born but that the ancestral katana of the Seppun Family, Fijimira's Glory, came into being." Again another pause before he continued.

"Why do I mention sword and man together? It is because, since Fijimira's great act, every single Seppun that has picked up Fijimira's Glory has fallen protecting the Hantei in some similarly extraordinary manner, almost all of them within three years after first draw. And whenever the wielder of Fijimira's Glory falls in the ultimate discharge of the Miharu's Duty, without thought, without care, without a spoken word to be had, with great Honor and Courage does one among the Seppun gathered before the fallen step forward, pick it up, and draw it. Though all know that the fate is one day to come, there is no special ceremony, no honors given, no special treatment among the Miharu for the wielder while they perform their guard duty besides the witnessing of this first draw: among this smallest and most honorable group of the Seppun family, it simply is," Tenzo finished as he clasped his hands together and gave a low nod of the head toward the roaring fire.
Imperial | Seiyaku | Archivist | Wealthy | Blessed | Fortunate... or not so much?
Honor: What is expected | Glory: 1.0 | Status: 2.5 | Courtship Points: 8

Carries: personal chop, chopsticks, kiseru, sake cup, fan, and pleeeenty of paper

Description!
Otomo Tenzo

Postby Moto Khulun on Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:11 pm

Khulun continues her dance and says to the Imperial, "That story... these Seppun are so brave! Are there any here?"
Status: 1.0 | Glory: 0.0 | Infamy: 0 | Honor: Untrustworthy | Theme | Courtship Points: 4
Possessions: Daisho, Sturdy Clothes (Furs and Leather), Riding Armor, Unicorn Horse, Red Steel Katana "Massacre", Nintoku's Fan
Moto Khulun

Postby Shinjo Hanashi on Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:24 pm

Hanashi nods a bit. He paid apt attention to every word said by the Otomo, saddened when the story ended.

"Many of my students would ask, how did the assassin put the arrow to bow, if it was covered fully with poison; but I know better then to let such small details distract from the worth of a good story! They are heroes indeed, to step forward and pick up such glory."

He pauses in thought a few moments. "Our Emperor, he has many enemies then? Who are they? We have some knowledge of forces outside the Empire and will of course seek to defend the Empire from them. It is what the Unicorn are meant to do."

He looks to the two Moto briefly, then nods, stating firmly. "But if there are enemies of the Hantei still within the Empire they will soon know true fear, for they have never seen a Shinjo hunt, the Moto's strength, the Otaku's honor, the Ide's wit nor the Iuchi's wisdom. The Emperor's enemies are the Unicorn's enemies, or else we do not belong!"
Unicorn Clan • Marta Family • Teller of Tales • No Right Eye • Well-Voiced • Wounded
Status: 1.5 | Glory: 0.0 | Honor: What is Expected | Courtship points: 0
Generally Equipped: Daisho, Eyepatch, Sturdy Unicorn Clothing, Tanto, Chopsticks
When with Horse: Daikyu, Willowleaf arrows, Blanket

A voice to lighten the weight of those who travel.
Shinjo Hanashi

Postby Moto Khulun on Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:30 pm

Shinjo Hanashi wrote:Hanashi nods a bit. He paid apt attention to every word said by the Otomo, saddened when the story ended.

"Many of my students would ask, how did the assassin put the arrow to bow, if it was covered fully with poison; but I know better then to let such small details distract from the worth of a good story! They are heroes indeed, to step forward and pick up such glory."

She smiles as she was thinking exactly the same thing.
Shinjo Hanashi wrote:He pauses in thought a few moments. "Our Emperor, he has many enemies then? Who are they? We have some knowledge of forces outside the Empire and will of course seek to defend the Empire from them. It is what the Unicorn are meant to do."

He looks to the two Moto briefly, then nods, stating firmly. "But if there are enemies of the Hantei still within the Empire they will soon know true fear, for they have never seen a Shinjo hunt, the Moto's strength, the Otaku's honor, the Ide's wit nor the Iuchi's wisdom. The Emperor's enemies are the Unicorn's enemies, or else we do not belong!"

Khulun emphasizes that statement with another ululation and more hip swaying.
Moto Khulun

Postby Moto Baatar on Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:56 pm

Moto Khulun wrote:
Shinjo Hanashi wrote:He looks to the two Moto briefly, then nods, stating firmly. "But if there are enemies of the Hantei still within the Empire they will soon know true fear, for they have never seen a Shinjo hunt, the Moto's strength, the Otaku's honor, the Ide's wit nor the Iuchi's wisdom. The Emperor's enemies are the Unicorn's enemies, or else we do not belong!"

Khulun emphasizes that statement with another ululation and more hip swaying.

Baatar leaped up and drew his scimitar, waving it above his head while shouting enthusiastically to support Hanashi's declaration.

"We will find these enemies and slay them!" the young rider vowed.
Unicorn Clan • Samurai • Gaijin Name • Failure of Courtesy
Honor: Untrustworthy • Status: 1.0 • Glory: 0.0 • Courtship: 4
carries: scimitar, wakizashi, shochu, puppy. when appropriate: Unicorn horse, riding armor
Moto Baatar

Postby Matsu Kogo on Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:50 am

Otomo Tenzo wrote:.

"Why do I mention sword and man together? It is because, since Fijimira's great act, every single Seppun that has picked up Fijimira's Glory has fallen protecting the Hantei in some similarly extraordinary manner, almost all of them within three years after first draw. And whenever the wielder of Fijimira's Glory falls in the ultimate discharge of the Miharu's Duty, without thought, without care, without a spoken word to be had, with great Honor and Courage does one among the Seppun gathered before the fallen step forward, pick it up, and draw it. Though all know that the fate is one day to come, there is no special ceremony, no honors given, no special treatment among the Miharu for the wielder while they perform their guard duty besides the witnessing of this first draw: among this smallest and most honorable group of the Seppun family, it simply is," Tenzo finished as he clasped his hands together and gave a low nod of the head toward the roaring fire.

Kogo sat by the fire, drawing all these words into her heart. Truly, this is what being a warrior is. The willingness to die in the performance of one's duties. This is what I must draw into myself and find strength from. Not doing things right nor approval from courts. This is where true honor and approval comes from.

"Otomo-sama, thank you for your gift of story. It is a rich story of the virtues and values of Bushido and I am glad and joyed to see our Unicorn clan allies respond so strongly to its call. I can see the fire of Bushido burns deeply in you all, to honor, to protect and serve our Emperor."

internal thoughts
Matsu Kogo

Postby Otomo Tenzo on Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:54 am

"I know not of the ways of assassins and poisons to elaborate on that detail, Shinjo-san, merely the record as far as I can recall it," Tenzo stated. "As to the enemies of the Empire... there are those outside the borders that occasionally wish to see the Empire harmed, always to no avail. While I am not one to speak of such things, you might wish to speak to the Crab about that which stirs beyond the Wall, perhaps the Dragon and the Badger for insight about those that lurk the northern reaches..." he trailed off for a moment before adding with a firm nod, "... but rest assured they have never experienced the strength of the Unicorn before them and, should the time come, will surely cower before your might."

Looking to the Lion, the Imperial gives him a nod of appreciation. "As am I, Matsu-san. Our cousins, long gone as they have been, are truly at home, and it was pleasing to see so many from the clans this day be part of that welcome." He looked around at all around the fire, perhaps lingering just a little longer at Khulun as she continued her dance, as he held his hands out for warmth.
Imperial | Seiyaku | Archivist | Wealthy | Blessed | Fortunate... or not so much?

Carries: personal chop, chopsticks, kiseru, sake cup, fan, and pleeeenty of paper

Description!
Otomo Tenzo

Postby Moto Khulun on Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:06 pm

For her part if she noticed the lingering glances she either did not mind or care as it felt good to move and be alive. For her this was normal, to gather round fires and tell tales, carouse, and end the day in the company of kin. It also allowed her to free herself from the demands of others, to be in her own place even among so many.

She catches his glance just as she ends her dance and gives a small smile and says, “Why do the Imperials not have clans like the other big and small clans?”
Last edited by Moto Khulun on Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moto Khulun

Postby Otomo Tenzo on Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:47 pm

He returned the smile with a muted one of his own. "A good question, Moto-san. When the great Kami came down from the Heavens and in the wake of the Tournament by which Hantei-no-Kami was proclaimed Emperor, one of the first orders given was for the others to gather followers in their names, and such became the Great Clans. The Son of Heaven needed no clan, for all were answerable to Him - and yet, in the Dawn, there were those that served and swore fealty to Him. Seppun-dono was the first to Seppun Hill where the Kami fell, swore fealty to them, and when the Kami departed in their directions, she remained and swore fealty to the Hantei. Otomo-dono, fostered by Seppun for a time, came to lead his people to what would become the Capital where he too swore fealty to the Hantei and was accepted. Seppun-dono and Otomo-dono were both at Hantei-no-Kami's side when He returned to the Heavens and the reign of the Shining Prince began. And when the War against the Dark Kami was won, Miya-dono, a follower of Otomo-dono, was entrusted by the Son of Heaven to announce to all the Empire the great victory, and so he became the Emperor's Herald. As he traveled the Empire, he worked tirelessly to rebuild villages ravaged by war, and thus the first Emperor's Blessing came to be. And it was upon his return that the Shining Prince gave Miya-dono a family." He paused for a moment to let the explanations sink in.

"And hence the three families - Seppun, Otomo, and Miya - have no clan as the Son of Heaven need not lead a clan of His own, and while all the Empire serves the Son of Heaven, my dear cousins and I do so directly as we have done since the Kami walked among us," Tenzo finished and, feeling a bit parched after the explanation, sipped some more from the skin of kumis.

Description!
Otomo Tenzo

Postby Moto Khulun on Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:43 pm

She holds out her hand for the skin and says, “I see, so you serve the Emperor directly and as the Emperor rules all he needs no clan for we are all his clans. Serving the Emperor is a great honor I see. Can I meet this Emperor?”
Moto Khulun

Postby Moto Baatar on Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:57 pm

Otomo Tenzo wrote:"And hence the three families - Seppun, Otomo, and Miya - have no clan as the Son of Heaven need not lead a clan of His own, and while all the Empire serves the Son of Heaven, my dear cousins and I do so directly as we have done since the Kami walked among us,"

"Huh! You Otomo must be mighty warriors if you serve the Emperor directly," Baatar commented. "Are there tales of the victories of the fearsome Otomo cavalry?"
Unicorn Clan • Samurai • Gaijin Name • Failure of Courtesy
Honor: Untrustworthy • Status: 1.0 • Glory: 0.0 • Courtship: 4
carries: scimitar, wakizashi, shochu, puppy. when appropriate: Unicorn horse, riding armor
Moto Baatar

Postby Shinjo Hanashi on Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:19 pm

Hanashi was starting to like this Otomo. Full of stories he was indeed!
Unicorn Clan • Marta Family • Teller of Tales • No Right Eye • Well-Voiced • Wounded
Status: 1.5 | Glory: 0.0 | Honor: What is Expected | Courtship points: 0
Generally Equipped: Daisho, Eyepatch, Sturdy Unicorn Clothing, Tanto, Chopsticks
When with Horse: Daikyu, Willowleaf arrows, Blanket

A voice to lighten the weight of those who travel.
Shinjo Hanashi

Postby Matsu Kogo on Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:30 pm

Moto Baatar wrote:
Otomo Tenzo wrote:"And hence the three families - Seppun, Otomo, and Miya - have no clan as the Son of Heaven need not lead a clan of His own, and while all the Empire serves the Son of Heaven, my dear cousins and I do so directly as we have done since the Kami walked among us,"

"Huh! You Otomo must be mighty warriors if you serve the Emperor directly," Baatar commented. "Are there tales of the victories of the fearsome Otomo cavalry?"

Kogo chokes quietly on a bit of her drink as Moto Battar speaks. She covers it well.

internal thoughts
Matsu Kogo

PreviousNext

Return to Northwestern Yurts