[Day 1 - Late Evening] Campfire Stories

Re: [Day 1 - Late Evening] Campfire Stories

Postby Shinjo Hanashi on Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:28 pm

"As long as the "all" are here for warmth and peace. A Unicorn's campfire is never the place for violence." Hanashi states, bowing a bit. "Ah, Fairuz-sama. I am certain that many in my clan would be curious about the path your Champion took to reach the Empire...there are many dangers between here and there, after all..."

"Depends on how much you think learning the ways a man can become a god is boring, I suppose, Baatar-san."

He does a quick count. "And we near enough people for stories to be shared. Have any of you had opportunity to speak with the hero Shinjo Akil yet this miai?"
Unicorn Clan • Marta Family • Teller of Tales • No Right Eye • Well-Voiced • Wounded
Status: 1.5 | Glory: 0.0 | Honor: What is Expected | Courtship points: 0
Generally Equipped: Daisho, Eyepatch, Sturdy Unicorn Clothing, Tanto, Chopsticks
When with Horse: Daikyu, Willowleaf arrows, Blanket

A voice to lighten the weight of those who travel.
Shinjo Hanashi

Postby Matsu Kogo on Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:40 pm

Shinjo Hanashi wrote:"As long as the "all" are here for warmth and peace. A Unicorn's campfire is never the place for violence." Hanashi states, bowing a bit. "Ah, Fairuz-sama. I am certain that many in my clan would be curious about the path your Champion took to reach the Empire...there are many dangers between here and there, after all..."

"Depends on how much you think learning the ways a man can become a god is boring, I suppose, Baatar-san."

He does a quick count. "And we near enough people for stories to be shared. Have any of you had opportunity to speak with the hero Shinjo Akil yet this miai?"

Kogo listens to the fast flying dialogue with interest, but concern. History is a vital part of the empire and honoring our ancestors. Perhaps when you must move constantly, keeping those sorts of histories in books is a burden. But I would never say it is boring.
Kogo hides the anger in her belly and breathes. Our ways are different. I must remember that. "Perhaps when it is presented more in the light of a story, you will find history more interesting Moto-san. It is a vital part of the empire and our stability."
Lion Clan • Beastmaster • Gullible • Idealistic • Paragon: Courtesy
Honor: What is expected l Status: 1 l Glory: 1 l Courtship : 1

Carries: Wakizashi, sweets, traveling game of Go, jade

internal thoughts
Accompanied by Warcat Noburu at most times.
Matsu Kogo

Postby Shinjo Hanashi on Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:42 pm

Hanashi looks to the Matsu with a small nod of thanks.
Unicorn Clan • Marta Family • Teller of Tales • No Right Eye • Well-Voiced • Wounded
Generally Equipped: Daisho, Eyepatch, Sturdy Unicorn Clothing, Tanto, Chopsticks

Shinjo Hanashi

Postby Fairuz Kaiya on Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:44 pm

Kaiya bowed at the Imperial's introduction. "Good evening Otomo-sama, I am Fairuz Kaiya.." and his introduction came to a halt there as a kumis skin was tossed.. which was just as well, because he didn't actually know the names of the others present.

"I will try to give Fairuz-sama's story justice, and hopefully it will answer these questions. But for myself, my parents were ronin who swore themselves to Fairuz-sama shortly after the founding of the family, just a few years ago. I have never personally set foot outside the Empire, of course..."
House Fairuz • Shugenja • Curious • Quantum Horsing
Status: 2.0 | Glory: 2.0 | Honor: What is Expected | Courtship Points: 3
Carried Items: Flute, journal, knife, miniature go set, scroll satchel, wakizashi, writing kit.
Languages: Mekhem
Fairuz Kaiya

Postby Otomo Tenzo on Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:53 pm

Tenzo caught the skin filled with kumis, offered the woman a nod of his head in thanks and appreciation, and took a small swig of it as he listened to the ongoing conversations in an attempt to understand what was under discussion. "Indeed, Matsu-san: though I have an appreciation for the study of historical records, a well-presented telling of what occurred and what lessons we might draw goes a long way in making those moments in our Empire's history truly memorable."

Turning to to the Fairuz, he responded with a a bow to him - "a pleasure, Fairuz-san" - before turning attention back to Hanashi. "I am afraid I have not, Shinjo-san," he responded before partaking another sip of the kumis, momentarily counting himself among the lucky that did not suffer an adverse reaction to the new drink as the liquid went down.
Imperial | Seiyaku | Archivist | Wealthy | Blessed | Fortunate... or not so much?
Honor: What is expected | Glory: 1.0 | Status: 2.5 | Courtship Points: 8

Carries: personal chop, chopsticks, kiseru, sake cup, fan, and pleeeenty of paper

Description!
Otomo Tenzo

Postby Shinjo Hanashi on Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:04 pm

Hanashi smiles a bit. "Well then, know that you have an opportunity to meet a hero of the Unicorn, to whom no doubt the Fortune of Heroes himself rewards with a smiling face the deeds of one so courageous and dutiful. Hear you at this campfire of mine the beginning of the tale of Shinjo Akil; I say beginning for his feat is more then most can hope to accomplish should they live to see sixty summers; his action during the return to the Empire of such merit that all who dare call themselves samurai can only hope to emulate. My tale is told in the form passed to the Unicorn by Doji-kami herself and accepted by Shinjo-Kami as appropriate for epic, that of the renga stanza, though as Shinjo Akil-sama yet lives and breathes he will one day give us deeds enough for the full 100 stanzas."

Hanashi stands a bit, hands gesturing as he speaks. His voice is such that the tone and pace of it is easy on the ear; when he delves into the story itself it only becomes more so. Warm and inviting at times, and at others quick and sharp to accent the concern that must have been felt by those who had been present at the event. It adds layers that the mere written word has difficulty emulating.

"Any bushi will
draw their blade to serve their lord;
Any bushi kills
in pursuit of their duty.
Some rare few heroes do more.

Any bushi will
die contented in service
Any samurai
will meet Emma-O smiling
at having such a fine death.

Shinjo Akil is
not any samurai, no.
Rare among heroes
He flung aside destiny;
Favored among mortal men.

Otaku Lady
Shining bright against the dark
Leading hundredth charge.
Foul foes seized a chance to win
A deadly trap had been sprung.

The Battle Maidens
Shone bright, reflecting pure souls
fierce battle roaring
Great steeds trampling dozen foes
and then a few dozen more.

They the sharpest spear
At the forefront of the clan
Earth trembling beneath
Dark foes broke to flee, a hah!
But No! Saw Shinjo Akil!

Reinforcing charge
Was was coming over the hill!
With no time for doubt
Hard he rode through the chaos
Like lightning across the field.

As a dozen died
Beneath the Otaku's hooves
A hundred more move
To break the tip of the spear.
And one rides to save them all.

Yet Nimble Setem
never breaks stride despite pace
that could snap two legs
Should Setem misstep but once.
Warning yell lost in the roar.

A sword rising there
Against time and all hope
A sword falling there
Aiming to cut the Lady
Otaku's throat; a fierce cry!

The sword, it misses!
The foe is split; a blow
From second in line.
Blood pouring down Setem's flank.
A second brought victory.

Brave Shinjo Akil
Took blow meant for another
And lived despite it.
Only man to ride beside
the Otaku Daimyo.

Toast Shinjo Akil
No cup empty, but held high
Honor the deed done
For where would we be without
The Otaku's Guiding light?

But lost for longer
Amid the darkness and foul;
Such fate defeated
By Hero Shinjo Akil!
To him we will shout; "Kampai!""

Shinjo Hanashi

Postby Moto Khulun on Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:02 pm

The Moto princess gives a shrill ululation and then adds, “Handsome and heroic, truly a fine young samurai for any honored bride!”

“Well told Shinjo-sama, well told!”
Bushi | Tough | Barbaric | Wealthy | Kuge | Strange Name | Description
Status: 1.0 | Glory: 0.0 | Infamy: 0 | Honor: Untrustworthy | Theme | Courtship Points: 4
Possessions: Daisho, Sturdy Clothes (Furs and Leather), Riding Armor, Unicorn Horse, Red Steel Katana "Massacre", Nintoku's Fan
Moto Khulun

Postby Matsu Kogo on Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:21 pm

Shinjo Hanashi wrote:Hanashi smiles a bit. "Well then, know that you have an opportunity to meet a hero of the Unicorn, to whom no doubt the Fortune of Heroes himself rewards with a smiling face the deeds of one so courageous and dutiful. Hear you at this campfire of mine the beginning of the tale of Shinjo Akil; I say beginning for his feat is more then most can hope to accomplish should they live to see sixty summers; his action during the return to the Empire of such merit that all who dare call themselves samurai can only hope to emulate. My tale is told in the form passed to the Unicorn by Doji-kami herself and accepted by Shinjo-Kami as appropriate for epic, that of the renga stanza, though as Shinjo Akil-sama yet lives and breathes he will one day give us deeds enough for the full 100 stanzas."

Hanashi stands a bit, hands gesturing as he speaks. His voice is such that the tone and pace of it is easy on the ear; when he delves into the story itself it only becomes more so. Warm and inviting at times, and at others quick and sharp to accent the concern that must have been felt by those who had been present at the event. It adds layers that the mere written word has difficulty emulating.

"Any bushi will
draw their blade to serve their lord;
Any bushi kills
in pursuit of their duty.
Some rare few heroes do more.

Any bushi will
die contented in service
Any samurai
will meet Emma-O smiling
at having such a fine death.

Shinjo Akil is
not any samurai, no.
Rare among heroes
He flung aside destiny;
Favored among mortal men.

Otaku Lady
Shining bright against the dark
Leading hundredth charge.
Foul foes seized a chance to win
A deadly trap had been sprung.

The Battle Maidens
Shone bright, reflecting pure souls
fierce battle roaring
Great steeds trampling dozen foes
and then a few dozen more.

They the sharpest spear
At the forefront of the clan
Earth trembling beneath
Dark foes broke to flee, a hah!
But No! Saw Shinjo Akil!

Reinforcing charge
Was was coming over the hill!
With no time for doubt
Hard he rode through the chaos
Like lightning across the field.

As a dozen died
Beneath the Otaku's hooves
A hundred more move
To break the tip of the spear.
And one rides to save them all.

Yet Nimble Setem
never breaks stride despite pace
that could snap two legs
Should Setem misstep but once.
Warning yell lost in the roar.

A sword rising there
Against time and all hope
A sword falling there
Aiming to cut the Lady
Otaku's throat; a fierce cry!

The sword, it misses!
The foe is split; a blow
From second in line.
Blood pouring down Setem's flank.
A second brought victory.

Brave Shinjo Akil
Took blow meant for another
And lived despite it.
Only man to ride beside
the Otaku Daimyo.

Toast Shinjo Akil
No cup empty, but held high
Honor the deed done
For where would we be without
The Otaku's Guiding light?

But lost for longer
Amid the darkness and foul;
Such fate defeated
By Hero Shinjo Akil!
To him we will shout; "Kampai!""

Kogo listens with wonder in her heart, intent upon hearing every word. She starts slightly at the Moto's loud sound, but realizes it must be celebratory. "You are an accomplished story teller Shinjo-san. Such a moving story!"
Lion Clan • Beastmaster • Gullible • Idealistic • Paragon: Courtesy
Honor: What is expected l Status: 1 l Glory: 1 l Courtship : 1

Carries: Wakizashi, sweets, traveling game of Go, jade

internal thoughts
Accompanied by Warcat Noburu at most times.
Matsu Kogo

Postby Otomo Tenzo on Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:23 pm

Though by no means exuberant like the lady Moto near the fire, the tale did leave the Otomo nodding his head in warm agreement. "Indeed, a wondrous telling, Shinjo-san. A true and living exemplar of Courage, Duty, and Honor is Shinjo Akil-sama, such is certain, and as Moto-san says, fortunate be the bride to have such a protector at their side," Tenzo noted before raising the skin of kumis in the air slightly and taking another swig, this one just a hair more palatable than the last one.
Imperial | Seiyaku | Archivist | Wealthy | Blessed | Fortunate... or not so much?

Carries: personal chop, chopsticks, kiseru, sake cup, fan, and pleeeenty of paper

Description!
Otomo Tenzo

Postby Shinjo Hanashi on Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:52 pm

Hanashi bows a bit.

"I'm told the Otomo are historians. And you serve the Hantei. I am certain Akil-sama will be quite happy to hear such compliments from one such as you."

Shinjo Hanashi

Postby Otomo Tenzo on Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:35 pm

"This one certainly hopes to have the pleasure to meet the esteemed Akil-sama if the crossing of paths is allowed to be so," Tenzo responded with a nod.

"What you have heard is true to some extent, but in my particular case you are quite correct: I am not just a student of history but I am a recorder of it as one assigned to the Imperial Archives, my duty to document heroic deeds, outcomes of lawful matters, even records of the marriages that are to be arranged here. Such has allowed me some travel on back of horse to various places, but here in the village, I might say, is my first major journey to conduct a significant amount of archival works... that and participate in the miai, of course," he explained as he stepped a little closer to the fire to keep warm.

"I have heard much about the richness and vibrancy of the oral traditions of the Unicorn families, Shinjo-san, and the method by which you share the story of Akil-sama clearly says as much. It was my understanding that among your clan there is... not so much of the written record, though quite understandable given the circumstances of the great journey your clan has been through over many moons, many generations, and many lands. Part of why I am interested in hearing the stories and tales of your peoples, beyond my own fascinations and interests, is because I have been tasked to document such stories for official preservation and record in the Archives and ensure that they find their place among all the other storied histories and lessons from across the land and that all may better understand our dear cousins so that they may be distant no longer. There is no doubt that the story of Akil-sama will find a most prominent place among them, that much is assured."

Description!
Otomo Tenzo

Postby Shinjo Hanashi on Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:40 pm

"Ah, so it is so all can understand." Hanashi smiles a bit. "Then I am most pleased to share it. Tell me, how does one gain access to the archives so we story tellers of the Unicorn may learn the tales of the Empire and share them among the Unicorn, so we too may grow closer to our friends?"

Shinjo Hanashi

Postby Moto Khulun on Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:02 am

“You write stories down, but you will continue to tell the tales, yes? Stories of the past must not be forgotten, they are stories to be heard!” She does not seem as assured of this scholar as her kin but she does not make any other challenge to the request.

She does furrow her brow slightly, “Does this mean you will tell Emperor to make Shinjo Akil fortune for his bravery and deeds? That would make him prominent indeed!”
Bushi | Tough | Barbaric | Wealthy | Kuge | Strange Name | Description
Status: 1.0 | Glory: 0.0 | Infamy: 0 | Honor: Untrustworthy | Theme | Courtship Points: 4
Possessions: Daisho, Sturdy Clothes (Furs and Leather), Riding Armor, Unicorn Horse, Red Steel Katana "Massacre", Nintoku's Fan
Moto Khulun

Postby Fairuz Kaiya on Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:30 pm

Kaiya raised his cup and drank to the tale, otherwise keeping silent for the moment.. and suddenly glad that he wasn't the one who would have to answer an awkward question like that.

My, they're forward! Is that going to manifest in other ways at this miai?
House Fairuz • Shugenja • Curious • Quantum Horsing
Status: 2.0 | Glory: 2.0 | Honor: What is Expected | Courtship Points: 3
Carried Items: Flute, journal, knife, miniature go set, scroll satchel, wakizashi, writing kit.
Languages: Mekhem
Fairuz Kaiya

Postby Otomo Tenzo on Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:19 pm

"Nominally with a journey to the outskirts of Kyuden Seppun and permission of the Imperial Chancellor or one of the archivists, though such can be easy to arrange: there is much interest in collecting the histories and tales of the Unicorn as well as in sharing what has occurred in the time before the return as well, I can assure. If you, Shinjo-san, or another among you were truly interested in perusing the scrolls and blocks - and even contributing to them - then this one would be more than pleased to facilitate," the Otomo offered to Hanashi before turning to Khulun.

"Indeed I will share, Moto-san: to put ink to paper is to preserve for the future, but what is a great tale if it is not spoken and shared?" He paused for a time, giving thought to how best answer her second question.

"One does not 'tell' the Son of Heaven to do anything, Moto-san: we are but advisors and counselors to His divine wisdom and grace, and on the matter of the Minor Fortunes such is solely His purview and no others," he offered. "Elevation of one to Fortune does require one to have passed on into the Heavens, and Akil-sama still walks and breathes among us, no? A good thing too if, as Shinjo-san said in his introduction, there are still many, many stanzas left to be written."

Description!
Otomo Tenzo

PreviousNext

Return to Northwestern Yurts