(D1, LA) Exchange Program

(D1, LA) Exchange Program

Postby Tonbo Misa on Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:14 pm

The day was quite warm, but it suited Misa well. She had made it a point to get out that afternoon and walk in the fields around the Village, just enjoying immensely the tactile sensation of the wind through her hair and the sun warm on her cheeks. Sanmi made certain they walked only the easiest of paths over the rather flat ground especially compared to back home.

Finally the Tonbo found a nice little rise that offered a place to sit. Too simple to have a tatami with her, she sat with her legs to the side and supported herself on a hand as she made certain she was facing the sun. Once she was comfortable, she started to sing softly to herself, not enough to carry far, but not so quiet it couldn't be heard.
Dragon Clan • Bushi • Advisor • Blind • Ascetic • Enlightened
Honor: What is Expected | Glory: 1.0 | Status: 4.0 | Courtship Points: 7
Carries: Traveling Pack, Daisho (where applicable), walking stick

Sanmi (Attendant)
Tonbo Misa

Re: (D1, LA) Exchange Program

Postby Moto Butaj on Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:44 pm

Her song gains a rhythm! Too-doo-doom. Too-doo-doom. It approaches... until it dies down and eventually stops, in accompaniment of neighing. After a moment of background silence the song is joined again, this time with the sound of something that sounds like good old shakuhachi and yet not.
Scorpion Clan | Bushi | Big Bad Keshig | Black Horse | Slacker | Soul of the Steppe | Honest
Profile | Expected Honor | Status 1 | Glory 0

Has: furs & leathers, daisho, knife, one of musical instruments, skin of kumis, keepsake, Yuki's fan
Sometimes also: bow, horse, light armor, other musical instruments, tent
Moto Butaj

Postby Tonbo Misa on Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:00 pm

Misa had slowed a bit for a moment, but only when the music had paused. In that silence her head tilted, the woman's eyes closed as she just seemed to listen to the softer sounds of adjustment. When the music started again, she gave a small smile before resuming her song. It wasn't the greatest song in the world, but it was likely a tribute.

footfalls of the sun
sifting through the cloud breaks
the light that falls between us
shines ever so bright

the wind repeatedly carries
the many feelings
from only a second ago
and again comes the same morning

into the distance that gets farther
the more and more i give chase
i'll take my tears far away

after the downpour lets up
the world is reflected in the rain puddles
at the back of my upside-down heart
my memories form a rainbow

someday
if there ever comes a day
when the gentle twinkle of midsummer
turns into fond memories
i will tell you

It seemed obvious when her song was ending as she trailed off, but the woman said nothing as she waited on the music and its maker.

Sanmi (Attendant)
Tonbo Misa

Postby Moto Butaj on Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:07 pm

The flute stops on a melancholic note and then the steps of a man and a horse can be heard.

"Butaj joined your song but it was so sad. Why so sad? Are you unhappy?"

The accent is heavy.
Scorpion Clan | Bushi | Big Bad Keshig | Black Horse | Slacker | Soul of the Steppe | Honest

Has: furs & leathers, daisho, knife, one of musical instruments, skin of kumis, keepsake, Yuki's fan
Moto Butaj

Postby Tonbo Misa on Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:33 pm

Rather than seeming troubled or curious at the accent, the woman just smiled faintly and shook her head. "On the contrary Butaj-san, the day is far too lovely and warm to be sad or unhappy. The song is one of the few I know well, and it reminds me of my departed mother."

She paused, standing carefully, Sanmi helping her up. She gave Butaj a bow after she was up. "I am Tonbo Misa of the Dragon clan. I would guess you are one of the Unicorn Butaj-san, yes?"

Sanmi (Attendant)
Tonbo Misa

Postby Moto Butaj on Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:40 pm

The big man dismounts to awkwardly return the bow. Still holding the reins of his horse, he tucks the flute away and offers a handshake.

"Ha, Butaj is Moto Butaj, indeed! He like Tonbo Misa lost his mom, so he understands the feeling. But like Tonbo Misa has good emotions today, friendly emotions and a lot of hope! Ide Dabo's speech still rattles in the mind of Butaj!"

Moto Butaj

Postby Tonbo Misa on Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:21 am

Helping her mistress with visual social graces was Sanmi's job, but she'd never seen a handshake before. She whispered into Misa's ear, and after some thought, the Tonbo held out her own. "It was a good speech indeed. And, if I may guess, you played and sang at that ceremony as well, didn't you?"

Sanmi (Attendant)
Tonbo Misa

Postby Moto Butaj on Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:55 am

Butaj's hand closes around Misa's, forearm, but the man is remarkably gentle and sensible in his grasp, with his long fingers of an artist. He holds her this way just for a moment, waiting for her hand to grasp his thick limb.

"This was indeed Butaj! Tonbo Misa noriced! Did you like it?"

Moto Butaj

Postby Tonbo Misa on Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:58 am

Misa flushed at the grip. She didn't look disturbed, but as a woman who depended on touch to make up for her lost sight, it was all the stronger an impression for her. She tentatively returned the grip. Butaj would find her grip not particularly strong, but her hands were rough, and she had a surety that spoke of some sort of physical training.

"H-hai, I did. The sound of your joy carried over all the conversations like a bird over the wind. Were you not talking with others then?"

Sanmi (Attendant)
Tonbo Misa

Postby Moto Butaj on Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:55 pm

Butaj takes the facts of the handshake in consideration, because this is what handshakes are for, to know the honesty of the other side. To Butaj, Misa's way of handling it was quite honest, and he has appreciated the strength in the grip. To Butaj, the gesture is too casual to be considered anything else than a good greeting, so he releases the hold soon after and sits by the Dragon.

"A little. Butaj likes talking but now is a little afraid of their duplicity. How can he know they mean what they say?" He shrugs. "Honesty is important for Butaj. Butaj does not want a dishonest spouse." Then sighs. "But Butaj believes Tonbo Misa that she liked his music. Like she can believe Butaj that he liked hers."

Moto Butaj

Postby Seppun Hideo on Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:00 pm

Hideo's tour of the village had taken him to the archery fields. A safer option than the fighting circles, because while he had little interest in either, there was less expectation to be involved here.

It was always worth knowing who could serve as archers as well.

So he approached, expecting to hear the sounds of bowstrings, only to be surprised to see conversations. Still, he would not appear rude, and gave the samurai a polite bow.
Imperial * Shugenja * Scholarly * Description
Courtiship Points: 7
Always carries: Robes/Kimono, Amaya's Fan, Wakizashi, School Satchel, Calligraphy kit, Paper, Chopsticks, Medicine Kit
Seppun Hideo

Postby Tonbo Misa on Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:03 pm

Misa sat beside Butaj after he let go, hands folded into her lap. "A samurai is meant to be honest always Moto-san, but I suppose it's good to be wary. No one is perfect after all. Still, I'm glad that you see my sincerity, and I would be happy to sing a happier song."

She gave Butaj a smile. Unfortunately, she couldn't see a guest, but her servant whispered into Misa's ear. She turned in the direction she was directed and stood to give a bow towards Hideo before sitting again.

Sanmi (Attendant)
Tonbo Misa

Postby Moto Butaj on Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:39 pm

Butaj has no idea who the man is so he just rises and stares in anticipation until the man comes into the handshake distance. He could bow like all those easterners, but why just bow to a random person who has some flowers instead on his chest rather than an animal totem like most Clans. Still, something about the other man's poise gives him pause.

"There is a man before us but he doesn't speak up. He looks clanless but also important. Can Butaj count on Tonbo Misa to handle the start of talking if he talks or expects to talk?"

Moto Butaj

Postby Seppun Hideo on Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:21 pm

Hideo heard the Moto and held back a sigh. They really needed etiquette training.

"One waits to be invited to a conversation, Moto-san" Hideo said with a polite smile "good afternoon mina-sama. I hope you are well? Forgive me for my interruptions, I am Seppun Hideo."
Imperial * Shugenja * Scholarly * Description
Courtiship Points: 7
Always carries: Robes/Kimono, Amaya's Fan, Wakizashi, School Satchel, Calligraphy kit, Paper, Chopsticks, Medicine Kit
Seppun Hideo

Postby Tonbo Misa on Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:39 pm

There was a bit lost to not seeing faces and exact actions of course, but there was a lot to be known from breaths and smaller motions that one could hear. Misa spoke up in a calm, welcoming tone. "It is an honor to meet you Seppun-san. The Moto beside me is known as Moto Butaj, and I am Tonbo Misa, advisor to Tonbo Mariko. We are both well, arigato for your compassion. Moto-san, Seppun-san is a member of the Imperial families, those that have no clan but instead serve the Emperor more directly. His own family are known to be the Son of Heaven's most ardent protectors."

She had looked generally between the two before facing Hideo again, though it wouldn't take much to realize her eyes didn't see him, even if she didn't mention it directly. "We had been discussing music before Seppun-san arrived. Do you have any training in that area perchance?"

Sanmi (Attendant)
Tonbo Misa

Next

Return to Archery Field