A Song of Ice and Fire: Tourney at Ashford Previews

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire: Tourney at Ashford Previews

Postby Kakita Nanami on Wed May 10, 2017 3:32 pm

Otaku Imane wrote:This all sounds really interesting! Will there be faction limits in place?

Five per house to start with; if we reach that cap, Jasper and I will have some discussion about raising it across all houses (and likely will need another GM at that point <_<).
Crane Clan • Agasha Trained • Shugenja • Small • Description
Status: 1.0 | Glory: 1.0 | Honor: What is Expected | Courtship Points: 2
Carried: Wakizashi, Tanto, Straw Hat, Cricket in a Cage
Kakita Nanami

Postby Kakita Nanami on Wed May 10, 2017 4:33 pm

Two quick NPCs: our host and his daughter.

Lord Darryn Ashford
A once strong and handsome man growing portly with his years, Darryn Ashford is head of House Ashford and a staunch supporter of both the Tyrells, his direct lords, and the Targaryens in general. During his youth, Darryn was a well-known tourney knight that eventually drew the eye of Lord Leo Tyrell, serving with him during the Blackfyre Rebellion and routing traitorous houses in the south.

In his advancing age, Lord Ashford has retreated more to his home, preferring to oversee the well-being of his lands as opposed to traipsing off across the Seven Kingdoms, leaving that to the younger knights. He has become a serious man, focused on ensuring that his line continues, though it’s clear beyond a doubt that he has a soft spot for his daughter, Ashlyn, and has so far refused anyone who has come to negotiate for her hand in marriage.

Ashlyn Ashford
The nameday girl, Ashlyn stands on the boundaries between childhood and being an adult. While understanding that her duty to her house it to one day marry into another family, Ashlyn has never thought about how close that day might truly be. Her father seems content to allow that day to remain far away.

In the meantime, the young girl has taken an interest in horses and can often be found at the stables in the stable of Ashford Hold watching after the house’s horses. Although recognizing she is not bound for that world, she adores the training her older brothers undergoes and has a strong fondness for jousting – thus the tournament her father called for her nameday.

(Yes, yes, I know these aren't too detailed. Expect the NPCs attached to your houses to be more detailed, though.)
Kakita Nanami

Postby Shinjo Liu Yue on Wed May 10, 2017 6:55 pm

Heh, you're fine. I didn't go super into detail about revealing who and what my NPCs do. That's to be discovered more in the game itself xD
Unicorn - Bushi - Horrible Burns - Missing Left Arm - Damaged Eye - Rather Tall - Unfamiliar (Gaijin) Name - Dauntless
Status 1.0 - Glory 2.0 / Infamy 0.2 - Honour: Untrustworthy - Courtship: 5
Languages: Mekhem, Yobanjin

Typically Carries: Sturdy Clothing, Daisho, Fan, Small Hand Mirror, Finger of Jade, Coin Purse, Small Knife, Medicine Kit, Sake Cup

Riding Horse: Hikazume, Puppy: Gon
Shinjo Liu Yue

Postby Otaku Imane on Wed May 10, 2017 9:14 pm

The houses all sound cool, I'm looking forward to finding out more about them :) Does the Lord's status reflect a Max cap for characters from those houses (seems logical)? Also would having a status equal to the max for the house mean you are related to the lord/part of the ruling family? Just curious :)

I was also wondering if the "Blood of the... " options are restricted to certain houses or available to any house with an appropriate back story?
Unicorn • Shiotome • Prodigy • Musical • Honest • Gaijin Name • Archer • Lancer • Singer
Status: 2.0 | Glory: 0.0 | Infamy: 0.1 | Honor: A Soul Above Question | Courtship Points: 9
Languages: Mekhem
Carries: Sturdy Clothing, Daisho, Flute, Light armour (where appropriate)
Carried by: Almatar (Otaku warhorse, where appropriate)
Otaku Imane

Postby Kakita Nanami on Wed May 10, 2017 9:30 pm

Otaku Imane wrote:The houses all sound cool, I'm looking forward to finding out more about them :) Does the Lord's status reflect a Max cap for characters from those houses (seems logical)? Also would having a status equal to the max for the house mean you are related to the lord/part of the ruling family? Just curious :)

The Lord Status is the maximum status anyone in the House can have (Wards are exempted from this because they use their own House's max status). Only a few characters will have equivalent status - the Lord, his heir, maybe his wife, and sometimes the maester and/or septa. Generally, this are pregens or NPCs.

Otaku Imane wrote:I was also wondering if the "Blood of the... " options are restricted to certain houses or available to any house with an appropriate back story?

If you're a direct member of the House (ie. blood related to the lord), you'll be slightly restricted to the family's background. Other members of the House (not directly related to the lord) will have a lot more leeway... but within reasonable limits (no "Blood of the Wildlings" from Dorne, all right?).
Kakita Nanami

Postby Kitsu Takashi on Wed May 10, 2017 11:04 pm

I'm so stoked about this game (fueled in part by GoT withdrawals) that waiting until August is driving me crazy. Let the cold world of drama commence!
Lion Clan * Bushi/Courtier * Sensational * The jolliest Kitsu
Status: 1.0 | Glory: 1.0 | Honor: As expected | Courtship points: 4
Always carries: Daisho, unremarkable clothing, and some writing supplies (calligraphy set if planning ahead, but always a bit of charcoal and parchment).
Kitsu Takashi

Postby Usagi Tsukimi on Wed May 10, 2017 11:06 pm

August gives us plenty of time to prep, for me to refamiliarize with the rules..... and for us to possibly move across town..... Yikes.
Bushi | Wary | Dancer | Tailor
Status 1.0 - Glory 1.0 - Honour: Untrustworthy - Infamy: 1.0 | Courtship: -1 | Profile

Equipment: Ashigaru armor, smoking pipe, sake cup
Accompanied by: Nagareboshi-san, a young sheep (D9)
Usagi Tsukimi

Postby Kakita Nanami on Thu May 11, 2017 1:37 pm

Two more NPCs, this time dragons~

Prince Baelor "Breakspear" Targaryen
Prince of Dragonstone, Baelor Targaryen – known as the Breakspear – is heir to the throne of the Seven Kingdoms and Hand of the King and will, without a doubt, one day take his place on the Iron Throne after his father, Daeron II, passes from this world. Unlike most Targaryens, Baelor is dark of hair and brown of eye and the normal Valyrian pale skin finds itself slightly darkened – features gained from his mother, Mariah Martell.

Considered one of the finest knights ever to grace the Seven Kingdoms, Baelor was instrumental during the Blackfyre Rebellion when he lead troops from Dorne and the Stormlands to Redgrass Field where they trapped the rebels against his brother Maekar’s army – an action commemorated in the song “The Hammer and Anvil.”

Despite him having all the makings of a fine king, Baelor is looked darkly upon by no small number of lords. His features mark him as more Martell than Targaryen and many believe that a “true” Targaryen should be the one to sit the throne, not some half-blood mongrel.

His wife is Jena, formerly of the House Dondarrion, and has given him two children: Valarr and Matarys. While Valarr has ridden to Ashford at his father’s side, Matarys remains in King’s Landing with his mother.

Prince Maekar Targaryen
Youngest brother to Baelor, Maekar is seventh in line for the Iron Throne; knowing it impossible that he might ever sit upon it, he has contented himself with his place as Prince of Summerhall. Unlike his oldest brother, the bearded Maekar is considered a perfect Targaryen – white hair, purple eyes, and pale skinned tanned by years of commanding in the field.

Where Baelor was always a better knight, Maekar was always considered the better warrior and commander and thus stands in charge of his a portion of his father’s armies. In the field, his army stood against the mad attacks of Aegor the Bittersteel and it was by his hand and commands the rebel army of the Blackfyres was finally destroyed – a feat he remembers in the form of a wicked scar across his face when he faced Aegor in battle.

Despite his prowess and his part in the downfall of Daemon Blackfyre, Maekar is jealous of his brother; history remembers more the role of Baelor Breakspear and the errors of Daemon Blackfyre than it does of Maekar’s part in the Battle of the Redgrass Field. Despite this jealousy, he serves for the good of the kingdom at his brother’s side.

Maekar is recently widowed, his wife Dyanna having died in childbirth. Together they had four sons – Aerion, Daeron, Aemon, and Aegon – and two daughters – Daella and Rhae, the youngest. Maekar is accompanied at Ashford by Aerion though Daeron and Aegon seem to have disappeared from the caravans. Maekar’s two daughters remain in King’s Landing while his remaining son, Aemon, studies at the Citadel.

====

Next preview will likely be tomorrow and will include a timeline of relatively recent events (the last approximately 20 years or so).
Kakita Nanami

Postby Kakita Nanami on Thu May 11, 2017 1:49 pm

Also, as an add-on for upcoming house previews:
Please vote!

It'll help me get over the tough decision of which houses to preview first and might give me a rough idea of how popular each house idea is. ;)
Kakita Nanami

Postby Miya Mei on Thu May 11, 2017 1:52 pm

I need to see if I can track down a book.
Imperial | Duelist | Kakita Trained | Unmarriable
Honor: Exceptional | Glory: 1.0 |Infamy 1.0 | Status 1.5 | CP: -2

Description

Wielder of an elegantly decorated katana, Meng. D8+ carries Shinjo Kemuri's Fan
Miya Mei

Postby Kakita Nanami on Thu May 11, 2017 1:55 pm

Miya Mei wrote:I need to see if I can track down a book.

I don't usually personally do this, but there was an offer of book for perusal.

Ide Samai wrote:Just a heads up, I have the Game of Thrones version of the corebook as PDF, if interested, PM me an e-mail address and I'll share via dropbox.

Though I fully support buying the book - it's an awesome system, even if some kinks need worked out. I own the PDF (available from DriveThru RPG) but I've been considering buying the physical book (available from Green Ronin itself!) if I can find it because it's just that awesome.
Kakita Nanami

Postby Ide Samai on Thu May 11, 2017 2:20 pm

Ayup, I bought the PDF for Southron Ambitions actually xD

So if you can spare the money and am seriously interested, I do think it's pretty cool.

That said, offer still stands, so pm away!
Unicorn Emissary * Gaijin Rose * Storyteller
Honor: What is expected * Status: 2.0 * Glory: 0.0 * Courtship: 2
Carries: Wakizashi, Fan, perfume (rose), coin purse
Ide Samai

Postby Yogo Yuichi on Thu May 11, 2017 5:31 pm

Besides the joust, will there be archery and/or melee events, etc?
*Scorpion *Shugenja *Soul of Gold *Discoloured Eye *Oni Mask * Spirits, Spirits Everywhere
|Glory/Infamy: 1.0/0.0| Honor: Honorless Dog| Status: 1.0| Courtship Points: -2
Mon: Scorpion, Yogo
Carries: Wakizashi, Robes, Scroll Satchel, Paper Wards (15), Fan, Kawaru coins, Pearl, Incense, Jade fingers (1), Magical Wards (5)
description
New Theme!!
Yogo Yuichi

Postby Kakita Nanami on Thu May 11, 2017 10:35 pm

Yogo Yuichi wrote:Besides the joust, will there be archery and/or melee events, etc?

Yes and yes.

Kakita Nanami wrote:Also, as an add-on for upcoming house previews:
Please vote!

It'll help me get over the tough decision of which houses to preview first and might give me a rough idea of how popular each house idea is. ;)

And fate intervened! It has determined the first house preview will be...

You'll find out tomorrow night. ;)
Kakita Nanami

Postby Kakita Nanami on Fri May 12, 2017 1:16 pm

Well, the timeline has turned out to be a LOT longer than I intended it to be originally... I ended up wanting to explore the history of the Blackfyre Rebellion as it provides a lot of the backdrop for the setting and the older characters would very clearly remember it. So, what follows is a timeline leading up to the Blackfyre Rebellion. At some point in the near future, more of a timeline will follow detailing the years between the Rebellion and the Tourney at Ashford.

Keen eyed observers may note a few differences.

A Timeline of Events Leading to the Blackfyre Rebellion

153 AC: The Death of the Last Dragon; after the attempts to breed healthy dragons fails, the last dragon dies. All that is left are dragon eggs; while the Targaryens would attempt to hatch them in the decades to come, nothing ever comes of it.

158 AC: The Submission of Sunspear: after a two year campaign, King Daeron I – the Young King – conquers the capital of Dorne, leaving Lord Lyonell Tyrell in charge of the conquered nation while his armies move on to pacify the hinterlands. The full conquest will take another year.

160 AC: Lyonell Tyrell is killed by assassins, sparking uprisings within Dorne as news of his death spread quickly. When news of the uprising reaches King’s Landing, the Young King marches forth with his host. The battle to pacify Dorne is long and grueling and eventual Daeron I has the lords of Dorne agree to meet for a peace conference.

161 AC: The conference is a trap: Daeron is killed and his cousin Aemon captured. By the time the conquest is entirely called off, over forty thousand troops have been slain and the rest forced from Dorne. Daeron’s younger brother, Baelor, is crowned King Baelor I Targaryen. His first act is to walk the Boneway to Dorne barefoot to make peace; as part of the peace, the young Prince Daeron would marry the Prince of Dorne’s eldest daughter, Mariah, when they came of age and Aemon would be released.

When Baelor returned to claim Aemon, he found him suspended in a cage above a pit of vipers. Taking the key, Baelor entered the pit and was bitten multiple times as he brought the key to the cage. Freed, Aemon carried his king from the pit and bore him back to the lands of House Dondarrion and then to Storm’s End. While the king would remain unwell for half a year, these events would be the first steps to a lasting peace with Dorne.

169 AC: Mariah Martell finally comes of age and is wed to Prince Daeron.

170 AC: Mariah Martell gives birth to her first child with Prince Daeron. The child is named Baelor after the current king. Baelor’s sister Daena gives birth to a child – without husband, Daena gives him child the name Daemon Waters; it is believed the child is one of the growing number of bastards sired by Aegon Targaryen, Daeron’s father. After the birth of Daemon, Baelor I enters a fast.

171 AC: On the fourty-first day of his fast, King Baelor I collapses. Unable to be saved, he passes away. His uncle, Viserys, is crowned King Viserys II Targaryen.

172 AC: Lady Barba Bracken gives birth to a bastard child. Named Aegor Rivers, the child is believed to be one of Aegon Targaryen’s bastards – later in life he would become angered at his status as a bastard and be called the Bittersteel. Later in the year, King Viserys II grows sick; his condition rapidly deteriorates and he dies within a fortnight. Aegon is crowned King Aegon IV.

174 AC: Unable to accept that Dorne remains separate from his rule, Aegon IV sends a fleet to invade Dorne. The fleet is, however, caught in a storm and scattered. It is believed destroyed.

175 AC: Lady Melissa Blackwood gives birth to a bastard in King’s Landing. Believed to be yet another of Aegon IV’s illegitimate children, the child is given the name Brynden Rivers. In his older years, Brynden would become known as the Bloodraven for a wine-coloured birthmark the went from his chest and up his neck, said to resemble a raven drawn in blood.

182 AC: Aegon IV knights Daemon Waters and grants him the Valyrian steel blade Blackfyre, making him Daemon Blackfyre. He inverts the colours of the Targaryen coat of arms and takes it as his personal arms. This causes an uproar throughout Westeros; Blackfyre was the blade of Aegon the Conqueror and traditionally passed to the king’s heir, having been wielded by every Targaryen king. Some see this as Aegon appointing Daemon his heir as they would prefer a warrior king to the scholar that the true heir, Daeron, is.

184 AC: Aegon IV grows sick. On his deathbed, he makes orders that all his bastards be legitimized. Only a few of his councilors hear the command and are divided on the matter, knowing it would cause great strife in the kingdom. Daeron is crowned King Daeron II Targaryen. Daemon Blackfyre marries Rohanne of Tyrosh who, later that year, gives birth to twins – Aegon and Aemon Blackfyre.

187 AC: Daeron II marries his sister, Daenerys, to the Prince of Dorne, Maron Martell, in a ceremony in the Great Sept of Baelor in King’s Landing. As the ceremony concludes, Prince Maron travels to the Red Keep and kneels before the Iron Throne, swearing fealty to King Daeron II and the line of Targaryen kings, officially bringing Dorne into the realm. A great tournament was held afterwards on the fields outside of King’s Landing to celebrate the union.

188 AC: Contruction of Summerhall in the Dornish Marches is completed, marking the boundary between the Reach, the Stormlands, and Dorne.

196 AC: The refounding of House Forrester in the North. The Blackfyre Rebellion.

The Blackfyre Rebellion
With the rapid number of Dornish concessions and the rise of their influence, a number of lords in Westeros had been growing increasingly malcontent with the Targaryen line. Where Aegon IV had been willing to continue fighting the Dornish, other recent kings had continually pursued peace and allowed greater Dornish influence – their current queen was even Dornish, something which sat poorly with many. They pointed to Aegon IV granting Blackfyre to Daemon. These events, coupled with rumours of Daeron illegitimacy, planted the seeds for what would become the Blackfyre Rebellion.

Daemon, for his part, had grown to resent his status as a bastard. It was the arrival of Aegor Rivers and the other bastards of Aegon that finally tilted his discontent into open rebellion. Some years prior, on of Aegon IV’s advisors had come to Aegor and revealed that Aegon had legitimized his bastards upon his deathbed. With this news and knowing that he had the support of a number of lords, Daemon Blackfyre declared open rebellion against King Daeron II and the Iron Throne, claiming it for his own.

Before they could march, however, Daemon and Aegor found themselves confronted by the Kingsguard. Unknown to him, Daemon had been betrayed by Brynden Rivers, who had been granted a seat on Daeron’s small council in exchange for the information. While Daemon was able to escape the Red Keep with help from sympathizers, he had lost the initiative and word of his efforts soon spread through the lands.

Regardless, near on half the realm declared for Blackfyre. Although no one place was safe enough to declare his capital, Daemon began to produce his own coinage – and soon became known as the Black Dragon for his sigil.

Early on, the fighting went strongly in Daemon’s favour with Ser Quentyn Ball leading troops to the Westerlands and laying siege to Lannisport. The siege was soon lifted though when a force lead by Edmund Reyne came to the city and forced Ball’s forces to depart. While Lord Damon Lannister rallied his troops in the Westerlands, Quentyn Ball headed south to the Reach where he won a great victory at the crossing of the Mander, a battle which saw him slay all of the sons of Lord Penrose.

Finally, troops loyal to the Targaryens began to fight back; Lord Damon Lannister marched his rallied army eastward, conquering the seats of several rebel houses including House Algood before merging with the forces of Prince Maekar near the Trident. In the south, Quentyn Ball retreated to merge with the main army of Daemon Blackfyre and moved to attack King’s Landing – a move which drew Maekar’s army southward to stand in their way as they advanced on the capital.

In the south, meanwhile, mercenary companies from Essos in the employ of the Blackfyres had landed near Oldtown, forcing Leo Tyrell to choose between saving his people and fighting to protect his king. A raven from Prince Baelor, however, set him on the course he needed and he turned his army to Oldtown to meet the foreign invaders.

Ill omens sat on Daemon’s army from the beginning – the night before the forces would clash, a stray arrow struck Ser Quentyn Ball, now one of Blackfyre’s most trusted commanders, through the eye, killing him instantly. Regardless, the Blackfyre forces stood their ground and pushed against Maekar’s army – they needed only to break through as King’s Landing stood effectively defenseless beyond.

And it seemed that they would succeed – despite Maekar’s masterful commanding, his forces were near overwhelmed by the ferocity with which Blackfyre’s forces fought. All might have been lost and Blackfyre might very well have won had it not been for his duel with Ser Gwayne Corbray of the Kingsguard.

Despite his mistrust of the Kingsguard, Daemon was impressed with the duel – something that would for years be considered a sight to behold. The battle lasted for minutes and ended only with a lucky blow from Daemon blinding the KIngsguard and allowing the Blackfyre to end the duel by bringing the man down. So impressed was Daemon that he stopped to ensure that the Kingsguard was taken to safety so he could not be further injured.

That compassion would be his death.

During the duel, Brynden Rivers and his unit of archers, the Raven’s Teeth, had mounted a nearby ridge, allowing them high ground to see the battle and harass the enemy. It was the Bloodraven himself who saw the act of mercy by Daemon that left him defenseless. The first arrow did not strike Blackfyre – instead, it struck his eldest song, Aegon, who had been fighting at his side, killing him instantly. As Blackfyre turned to his dying son, Bloodraven unleashed arrow after arrow, striking Blackfyre unerringly with seven shafts. Enraged, Aegon’s twin Aemon picked up Blackfyre to continue fighting – only for the Bloodraven to strike him down as well.

Even with Blackfyre’s death the battle continued – and the war might have – as Aegor Rivers drove the army on. Bittersteel rode against the Bloodraven, fighting a duel that was outshone only by Daemon and Corbray’s duel. At the end, Bloodraven knelt defeated, one of his eyes missing, and might very well have died had it not been for the arrival of Prince Baelor.
While the war had been going on, Baelor had secretly sailed to Sunspear in Dorne to treat with Prince Maron Martell to send aid against Blackfyre. Maron quickly agreed and Baelor, in imitation of his namesake, marched across Dorne with the army, gathering troops from lords along the way as they marched first west and then north into the Stormlands. There he merged with the armies of Lord Orys Baratheon and headed north, coming up behind the rebel forces on the eve of battle.

With Daemon dead, Baelor charged into the enemy forces, throwing them into chaos. It was only his timely intervention that saved his uncle and drove Aegor Rivers away. Between the two armies, the remains of the Blackfyre forces were crushed.

However, Bittersteel had swooped in, taking the blade Blackfyre for himself and fleeing with his personal guard. He and a number of those loyal to the Blackfyres rode quickly from the battle, gathering up Blackfyre’s widow and children and fleeing with them across the Narrow Sea to the Free Cities.

In the aftermath of the rebellion, a number of rebel lords were severely punished depending upon their actions during the rebellion. Some King Daeron II had executed; others merely gave their children up as wards. Among the executed was Lord Karl Algood; his son, the now Lord Arryk Algood, gave his brother to the king as a hostage and his sister to the Lannisters as a hostage and meekly accepted the punishment as House Algood was stripped of most of its land.
Kakita Nanami

PreviousNext

Return to Out of Character Chat