Arranged Marriage (day 11 early afternoon, Baatar's yurt)

Arranged Marriage (day 11 early afternoon, Baatar's yurt)

Postby Moto Baatar on Mon May 08, 2017 9:18 pm

Moto Baatar sat on a wooden stool in his yurt, polishing his gear as he thought about all that had happened during the miai so far. He had never expected to marry into the Phoenix, much less to a woman who he had never spoken to. But it was all arranged now, and he clearly understood what the clan expected of him. It was now up to him to make the best of it.
Unicorn Clan • Samurai • Gaijin Name • Failure of Courtesy
Honor: Untrustworthy • Status: 1.0 • Glory: 0.0 • Courtship: 4
carries: scimitar, wakizashi, shochu, puppy. when appropriate: Unicorn horse, riding armor
Moto Baatar

Re: Arranged Marriage (day 11 early afternoon, Baatar's yurt

Postby Asako Yuki on Mon May 08, 2017 9:31 pm

Yuki was back in the Yurts where the Unicorn had made their home. Her face was trying to be as stone, but cracks constantly shone through. Her intricate makeup had been washed off, leaving her plain of face for fear of tears that may make it run. Walking among these yurts it *still* felt like she should be heading to Butaj's. That was where she felt like she belonged. But she resisted, she didn't even look, because she knew that if she did she would be lost forever.

She stopped outside of Baatar's yurt and steeled herself momentarily before scratching on the door. "Moto-san? It's... It's Asako Yuki."

Maybe he wouldn't be home. Maybe he wouldn't want to see her after she had left him alone at the ceremony. That would be the best, she could walk away, never knowing.
Asako Yuki • Phoenix Clan • Bushi • Dangerously Beautiful • Gullible
Status: 1.0 | Glory: 1.0 | Honor: What is Expected | Courtship Points: 5

Carries: Daisho, Smoking Pipe, necklace
Languages: Mekhem, Yobanjin
Asako Yuki

Postby Moto Baatar on Mon May 08, 2017 9:38 pm

The flap swung open and Moto Baatar was revealed - a very young man with a wiry build and close cropped hair. His face was tanned from the sun, and his eyes were very wide at Yuki's unexpected arrival.

"Asako Yuki," Baatar said, sounding her name out carefully, as if saying it for the first time. He remembered to bow. "Welcome! Come in, come in!" he urged, stepping aside to allow her to enter.

"I'm Moto Baatar," he said, introducing himself. "But... I guess you must know that already, hmm?"
carries: scimitar, wakizashi, shochu, puppy. when appropriate: Unicorn horse, riding armor
Moto Baatar

Postby Asako Yuki on Mon May 08, 2017 9:50 pm

Yuki returned the bow, but couldn't bring herself to smile as she walked into the yurt, looking around it. "I am sorry that we have not met before. I..." She stopped for a long moment. "I hope that you did not have an intended that you wished to have speak your name." It hit close to home for her, but it was hard for her mind to go anywhere else.

Asako Yuki

Postby Moto Baatar on Mon May 08, 2017 10:01 pm

"You are my intended, and have been ever since you spoke my name," Baatar replied with as much gallantry as he could muster for this stranger who had chosen him. "I am...honored by your choosing me as your husband. I look forward to our life together in... umm... Asakostan? Is that where we live?"
Moto Baatar

Postby Asako Yuki on Mon May 08, 2017 10:07 pm

Yuki frowned. "Ano... well, Arigato for your thanks. I suppose." It wasn't like she had much in the way of options at the time. Still, Baatar seemed... fine.

"No, Kyuden Asako has been... it's complicated, but we will not be returning there. Likely we will be going to my family's home, until we are given an assignment, anyway." She says a little awkwardly. She was supposed to be talking about this with someone else. She'd had everything planned out! Yuki gritted her teeth a little in frustration.

Asako Yuki

Postby Moto Baatar on Mon May 08, 2017 10:11 pm

"What is your... I mean... our home like, Yuki?" Baatar asked curiously. "I'm so sorry...I never thought to learn anything about the Phoenix Clan before. Do we live on a mountain, or in a valley? Do we live in a city, or the country? Is there a place for horses and dogs?"
Moto Baatar

Postby Asako Yuki on Mon May 08, 2017 10:23 pm

"Yuki-san." She corrected quietly but quickly. She'd wanted to tell him to only call her Asako-san, but... he was her intended after all. "We... My home is on a plain, though it can be a bit hilly. We do have two horses, but they are not like your horses are. It is out in the country though."

Asako Yuki

Postby Moto Baatar on Mon May 08, 2017 10:28 pm

"We will have three horses, Yuki-san," he promised her. "Maybe more, in time. And we will live in your home, on the plain, in the country. Even though it is a bit hilly, I am sure we will be very happy there. I... I want to be a good husband for you, Yuki-san."
Moto Baatar

Postby Asako Yuki on Tue May 09, 2017 4:43 am

Yuki nearly cracked as Baatar mentioned having more horses. We had wanted more horses, a quiet little place together.

"H-hai," she said, very distractedly. "I'm... sure you will do your best, Mo- Baatar-san." Why is he so nice? Why couldn't he be some villain?

She frowned a little. "As to being happy... Maybe, but," she paused for a long moment. "I am sure Baatar-san has guessed that he was not my first choice, as we had never met." She bit her lower lip slightly. "If we wed, my heart would belong to another."

Asako Yuki

Postby Moto Baatar on Tue May 09, 2017 8:42 am

He stiffened at Yuki's words, a hurt look crossing his face at last. "Yes... of course I know I wasn't your first choice," Baatar said heavily. "But the fact remains, you chose me."

"I... I don't know how the Phoenix think about these things," he continued. "But for me, the duty to my family didn't end with the choosing ceremony." Baatar gazed at her intently, in hopes that something in her face, something in her eyes would reveal what kind of person she truly was.
Moto Baatar

Postby Asako Yuki on Tue May 09, 2017 8:53 am

Yuki winced a little, taking no joy from hurting Baatar, but in the unlikely event this was going to work, they needed to be clear. Maybe he will be like Khulun, and not have his family's prejudice.

"I had intended to choose Moto Butaj." She said quietly, her eyes making it clear that it was Butaj who held her heart, and that she was watchful to see how Baatar would react.

Asako Yuki

Postby Moto Baatar on Tue May 09, 2017 9:02 am

"Ahh, Butaj," Baatar said bitterly. His nostrils flared and his mouth creased in distaste. His eyes dropped from hers. "One of his other women got to him first, as you saw. Did he tell you that he loved you the best?"

"You must forget him, Yuki-san. He is not worthy of you.”
Moto Baatar

Postby Asako Yuki on Tue May 09, 2017 9:45 am

Yuki showed backbone when it came to Butaj. So He is not like Khulun in this, I should have known worthy how well this day has gone. She thought bitterly.

"She was not. Butaj and I dedicated ourselves to each other after the singing event when our feelings became clear. And you are wrong, it is I that is not worthy of him."

Asako Yuki

Postby Moto Baatar on Tue May 09, 2017 10:11 am

He could not even look at her now. But Baatar had to keep speaking... he had to make her understand.

"Butaj 'dedicated' himself, is that right?" Baatar asked tightly. "You've known Butaj, what, a few days? I have known him all my life. The man has had more women than he's had horses. He will have forgotten you as soon as he's ridden over the next hill."

"You should know, at the campfire that week, the same week he 'dedicated' himself to you, Butaj proclaimed he would be taking home the Dragon lady over his saddle. Then, that very night, he slept with his own cousin. His cousin!"

"Do you imagine that his love for you is stronger than that for those other women?" he demanded cruelly. "Do you imagine he will cry out your name, when he lays with his little shrine maiden?" The image of Butaj covering Hotaru's delicate body sprang to his mind, and his whole body was filled with loathing. "Don't be a fool."

Baatar turned back to face her. "Was your choosing me your idea of a cruel joke?" he demanded. "Or do you mean to try to make a life together?"
Moto Baatar

Next

Return to Northwestern Yurts