IDE EVENT: Welcome Dinner (D1, Early Evening)

Re: IDE EVENT: Welcome Dinner (D1, Early Evening)

Postby Bayushi Hotaru on Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:22 pm

It seemed that the Unicorn hosts have prepared quite a feasts for both the guests and 'locals' alike to kick off the miai to a rather celebratory start. There was an assortment of various foods that were a delight to the eyes as they struck pleasant chords to Hotaru's senses in memory and others she wasn't too sure what to make of it. She had been briefed about the strange ways of the Unicorn and their rather specialized diets when it came to their food, making due with what they found in lands abroad and adopting from others. However, she didn't think that she would have such exotic cuisine placed before her so soon. There were alarm bells that rang in her mind when she saw some food that sported colours that she never thought could be possible. Apparently, that show of red was actually meat, one time a living animal and it was served rare. Despite that, she wore her best smile at the offerings and played a mantra in her head. Chew and swallow. Chew and swallow. How hard could it possibly be?

It was all the better that she prepared herself when she found herself flanked by two Unicorn women of the same age beside her at the table. She didn't panic and quickly introduced herself to them, complimenting them on some of their peculiar fashions, the Ide and Moto she sat with had their own style. The colourful beads that made up a bracelet that the Iuchi wore were rather fanciful, along with her own layered coat, and the intricate braids the Moto had seems to hint that the supposed barbarians had some fashion to speak of.

"So! I'm very curious as to what these Lords of Death are all about. Is it like a Fortune? We have many Fortunes but normally one belongs to each particular domain. Kind of weird to have many Lords for one thing, don't think Emma-O would have been for that. Do you think one day the Lords of Death would get all fed up with each other and demand a fight to the...death, shall we say?" Before she could read her respective audience she broke out into a practiced laugh. As she saw the morose in the Ide's eyes and the glare from the Moto girl. Her laugh slowly died off, then the frost of awkward silence set in. Something told her if she wore one of their fur coats right now, it would have done little to help her do anything against the cold she felt here.

"Bayushi-san," voiced the Moto girl demandingly for attention. "If you were listening, we were talking about Ide-sama's late grandfather. He passed recently and he a great man with great wisdom that will be forever honoured. Also, you know nothing of the Lords of Death but maybe you ought to pray to them right about now..."

At the very least, Hotaru managed to assuage their outrage with her sympathies given to the late Ide who they were talking about earlier, which stopped them from splashing milk on her face at the insult. It would have been a good waste of milk to do such a thing, anyway. However, they were quick to offer a dish of sliced treats that was favoured by both the guests and locals alike toward her. Hotaru happily took one, not wanting to further upset them and took a quick nibble.

"Mm, that's an interesting taste," said the young Scorpion as she was chewing on the treat. "The texture reminds me of a dessert made with bean. Is this some sort of adzuki?"

"Cheese made from mare's milk," replied the Ide with a soft smile, like it was something that was completely natural around here.

Hotaru's stomach made a noise and she set down the slide she had, unable to have anything more. "Thank you very much for the wonderful evening, minasama! So much wonderful things we learned from each other! It's been so fun meeting both of you, we have to trade fashions some day b-butIgottagetgoingnow..." She stammered as she sandwiched her words together, then slinked off into the night in great haste...

Special Bonus: (Successful)
1) I am Interesting and Fascinating - Lore: Theology/Intelligence TN 10 + 2 raises: (Failed) (-2)
2) I Can Speak Good - Etiquette (Conversation) / Awareness TN 10 + 2 raises: (Failed) (-2)
3) I Am Polite and Thoughful - Etiquette / Awareness TN10 + 2 raises: (Pass) (+3)
4) The Seven Thunders Are Fighting Ful Leng In My Stomach - Stamina TN 15: (Failed, Badly)

Dinner Points: -1
Scorpion Clan • Shrine Maiden • Diviner • Dangerously Cute • Slightly Short
Status: 1.0 • Glory: 1.0 • Honour: Untrustworthy • Courtship Points: 9

Description, Artist Details in Description
Personal Effects: Wakizashi (where appropriate), scroll satchel, fan, jade charm, mask, fortune sticks, kawaru coins

Mamoru, Protector of Shrines
Bayushi Hotaru

Postby Tonbo Misa on Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:01 pm

Misa had her servant help her to her seat, where she found a few interesting conversation partners. It seemed that she'd found a few Unicorn to discuss the intricacies of Rokugani theology with, and Misa went into a more in depth discussion about the Fortunes that were around back before Shinjo had left the Empire and how they had translated into stories over the centuries. It was all really quite wonderful.

Then the food hit her.

The meat itself wasn't something that truly bothered her. As a Dragon, and coming from a family that had been on hard times more than once, she had known the secret shame of mountain tuna after all. It seemed to be something with the drink the Unicorn kept giving her... some sort of fermented drink made from milk of all things. It was all she could do to keep her On and keep up the conversation. As soon as it seemed she had finished, and she had a way out, Misa excused herself and had her servant show her out.

--------
Lore Theology w/ 2 raises = Success (3 pt)*
Etiquette 1 w/ 2 raises = Success (6 pt)
Etiquette 2 w/ 2 raises = Fail (4 pt)
Raw Stamina Roll = Fail

Ending total 4
Minor Breach of Etiquette
Ill
Bad Fortune (Milk Allergy)

*Note: I noted the correct skill (Lore: Theology), but gave the wrong title (was I Am Interesting and Fascinating)
Dragon Clan • Bushi • Advisor • Blind • Ascetic • Enlightened
Honor: What is Expected | Glory: 1.0 | Status: 4.0 | Courtship Points: 7
Carries: Traveling Pack, Daisho (where applicable), walking stick

Sanmi (Attendant)
Tonbo Misa

Postby Moto Khulun on Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:07 pm

There was really only one subject, well two subjects, but one that was her favorite as a child was hearing the tales of her ancestors. She could recount Unicorn history, well Moto history… but to her they were one in the same.

She grabbed food and sat with other samurai and rambled on without preamble or even a greeting illuminating her unfortunate captive audience with the blood soaked stories of her mighty ancestor, Moto Yuguri the Eater of the Dead. The other samurai were not terrible receptive of the story which only emboldened Khulun more to add more details and violent sword chops simulated by her hands to emphasize the story.

Despite her poor way with words and her violent retelling she had somehow avoided giving offense, maybe because by now they were politely ignoring her. The other samurai gave a sigh of relief when she started in on the food and she was silent.

OOC:I am Interesting: Lore Untrained TN 10: 2d10 13 - Pass,
I can Speak Good: Etiquette Untrained TN 10: 2d10 2 - Fail, Ia m Polite: Etiquette Untrained TN 10: 2d10 12 - Pass, and Seven Thunders in my Stomach: Stamina + Void TN 15: 4d10o10 25 - Pass. For a total of 2 points.
Bushi | Tough | Barbaric | Wealthy | Kuge | Strange Name | Description
Status: 1.0 | Glory: 0.0 | Infamy: 0 | Honor: Untrustworthy | Theme | Courtship Points: 4
Possessions: Daisho, Sturdy Clothes (Furs and Leather), Riding Armor, Unicorn Horse, Red Steel Katana "Massacre", Nintoku's Fan
Moto Khulun

Postby Shosuro Chieri on Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:43 pm

Shosuro Chieri mingled with ease among the Unicorn. They had a fun way of pronouncing her name and a nice touch of humor. Such an earnest people with truly genuine courtiers. The poor things. They were going to be eaten alive here. No matter. She would help them understand. But first, a bit of charm.

History had taught her so much about the clans and their people. Now, it allowed her to find a common ground with her hosts. Tales of a time before Shinjo had rode out and tales of what had come after. The lines between reality and fiction blurred once or twice. Better to flatter than embitter when discussing over dinner. The sight of red meat was strange, forbidden, and ever so tantalizing. It took every fiber of the scorpion's being to suppress the excitement she felt with the first bite. Chieri savored the moment. A thousand lies rolling across her tongue.

Chieri relaxed her body and followed the motions of her Unicorn hosts. She dabbled it all that was presented before her as the meal went on. It would be far too late when she realized that the meal would not agree with her.

I Am Interesting and Fascinating: 13 (TN10, 0R,1DP)
I Can Speak Good: 23 (TN20, 2R, 3DP)
I Am Polite and Thoughtful: 30 (TN20, 2R, 3DP)
The Seven Thunders Are Fighting Fu Leng In My Stomach: 12 (TN15,VP, F-f-failure. -5 for the rest of the night and Day 2 because of sickness.)

Total DP: 7
Scorpion Clan • Courtier • Exquisite Beauty • Insensitive • Rumormonger
Honor: Untrustworthy | Glory: 1.0 | Status: 1.0 | Courtship Points: 1
Carries: ~as yet to be determined~

Shosuro Chieri

Postby Shinjo Kemuri on Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:48 am

Dinner seemed to go well. Kemuri told a few simple tales of the travels of the clan. He was polite and well behaved, even while choking down the strange sea creatures he had been offered. He doubted he had made a significant impression, but nothing disastrous had happened. That came later. He spent the night cursing the fishermen who had caught the vile shelled demons who rebelled against his stomach.

I Am Interesting and Fascinating: 1 Dinner Point
I Can Speak Good: 1 Dinner Point
I Am Polite and Thoughtful: 1 Dinner Point
3 Dinner Points Total
Allergy gained.
Unicorn Clan Marta Family Bushi Hunter Explorer Storyteller Completely Honest Rides Sarangerel
Honor: Expected • Status: .5 • Glory: 0.0 • Courtship: 4

Carries: Water, Knife, Sake Cup, Chopsticks, Dice
As Appropriate: Daisho, Light Armor, Daikyu, Quiver, Lantern, Cloak, Hat
Shinjo Kemuri

Postby Ichiro Daisuke on Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:13 am

A dinner party, Daisuke was rather certain we wasn't going to impress many people here, but as the sole Badger at this competition he would do his best to at least not embarrass himself. Which is why he chose the topic he did, surely these Unicorn wouldn't know too much about the various flora and fauna of the empire, so even If he was a little wrong he should be fine.

The talks after that went fine, apparently the bare minimum of etiquette the Crane had beat into him at school allowed him to speak well enough to not offend anyone. Which he though was a bit of a blessing it it's self.

There was only one problem, the vile food of the Unicorn. It had looked good enough and tasted fine too, but soon after he had had eaten his stomach started to feel a bit funny, and soon after that even worse. He'd have to find a way to excuse himself soon, or chance embarrassing himself.

((OOC))
I Am Interesting and Fascinating = 18 Pass + 1 point

I can speak good = 17 Pass +1 point

I am polite and thoughtful (surprisingly) = 20 Pass + 1 Point

The Seven Thunders Are Fighting Fu Leng In My Stomach = 10 Fu leng Won +5 to tn's tomorrow and Gain Fortune Allergic to Milk.
Badger Clan * Bushi * Scout * Archer * Tough * Engaged to the best Otaku

Courtship points: 3

Carries: daisho, sake cup, chopsticks

For combat: light armor, daisho, tanto, yumi and quiver, masakiri
Ichiro Daisuke

Postby Matsu Nintoku on Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:12 am

To say that Nintoku was not in his usual scenario was an understatement as his courtly experience was sparse at best. Yet just as if he were in an unfamiliar battleground the Matsu approached the opening ceremony with tact and carefulness, avoiding any sort of spotlight but at the same time being present enough as to be remembered.

"The Lion and the Ki-Rin used to have strong bonds through marriage." he casually commented to one of the Unicorns suitors, drawing the knowledge from some books he read before coming to the miai "I hope that they can once again come and reinforced to ages to come."

Having successfully maneuvered the first of obstacles with a few well placed niceties he moved onto the meal, steeling his resolve upon the seeing, and smelling, the strange delicacies that the Ki-Rin had placed. "This looks very much like Lion tofu," he mentioned as he took the smallest possible piece from the cheese without offending his hosts "and tastes similarly too. Saltier."

His stomach thankfully hadn't betrayed him. Riding the wave of his meager success he refrained from touching rokugani food and focused on eating frugally the delicacies provided by the Ki-Rin.

---

I Am Interesting And Fascinating - 13
I Can Speak Good - 18
I Am Polite And Thoughtful - 22
The Seven Thunders Are Fighting Fu Leng In My Stomach - 24

3 Dinner Points
Lion Clan • Bushi • Hero • Kuge • Sometimes Smiles • Cuter Than A Goat
Honor: Exceptional | Glory: 3.0 | Status: 1.0 | Courtship Points: 3
Carries: Daisho, Sturdy kimono, Travel pack, Khulun's EXQUISITE fan.
Description
Matsu Nintoku

Postby Shiba Kaizen on Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:04 am

Shiba Kaizen was trained a little in courtly affairs after all a yojimbo can find themselves in any situation and court was pretty common. So a formal dinner should not be all that bad. He managed to find a young Unicorn priestess to discuss various interesting details of the Fortunes and from her response she found the topic and delivery at least passably interesting. Her own insights during the conversation really did interest Kaizen as they were unlike any he had heard before.

Then things took a slight turn... the food. It was not that the food looked or smelled unappealing precisely. It was a matter of logistics. The nature of how exactly some of the items were expected to arrive at their destination in an undamaged and timely manner. Kaizen's chopsticks declared war on his sense of logic as he attempted to pick up some unidentifiable morsel and it slipped dropping into a bowl of soup or is that sauce? His conversation partner hid her laugh behind her sleeve though a very aged Ide set his right eyebrow to marching north to face the yobanjin hordes.

Feeling his face heat slightly Kaizen redoubled his efforts and once the food started finding its way to his mouth it proved to be rather tasty. Soon the social failing was forgotten, at least to Kaizen and he consumed a polite fill of what was offered taking tea over a harder beverage just to be on the safe side.

---------------------------------
Roll 1 Lore: Theology TN 10 = 13
Roll 2 Etiquette TN 10 = 17
Roll 3 Etiquette TN 15 = 13
Roll 4 Stamina TN 15 using vp = 15

Dinner points 1 and full stomach with no gastro intestinal issues
Phoenix Clan * Yojimbo * Previous Year Topaz Competitor of Renown * Crane are not Fans of.. * Short
Glory: 2.0 * Status: 1.0 * Honor: What is Expected * Courtship Points: 5
Carries: daisho, fan, samisen, and wears decent quality clothing with a haori and hakama
Shiba Kaizen

Postby Kitsu Takashi on Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:36 pm

Inspired by the welcoming words of their host earlier in the day, Takashi opts to start conversation around Bushido. It seems a safe topic, upon which everyone should have at least some positive feelings...

(More narrative to come)

OOC:
I'm interesting: success, with 1 raise.
I talk good: missed by 1. -2 points
I'm thoughtful: success, with 2 raises.
Total 3 dinner points
Stamina: success.
Lion Clan * Bushi/Courtier * Sensational * The jolliest Kitsu
Status: 1.0 | Glory: 1.0 | Honor: As expected | Courtship points: 4
Always carries: Daisho, unremarkable clothing, and some writing supplies (calligraphy set if planning ahead, but always a bit of charcoal and parchment).
Kitsu Takashi

Postby Otomo Tenzo on Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:37 pm

When it comes to his turn to speak, Tenzo brought up a piece of interesting history he came across in his studies of the time of the Shining Prince just after the Unicorn, then the Ki-Rin, had departed the borders of the Empire, and to his ears the short little history lesson was well-received and fit into the ebb and flow of the conversation going on around him. When the food is brought before them - red meat, how interesting... - the Imperial drew forth his best table manners as he took in the unfamiliar food items with a pair of black lacquered chopsticks, helped those around him to ensure the cups were always full, and waste not a drop upon the table before him. He did not know how he would react to the unfamiliar food, however, and after tasting from a variety tray of cheeses he felt his stomach rumble a bit, but soon the feeling dissipated and with that he continued to enjoy good food, good drink, and good company well into the evening hours.

So interesting! - PASS, 2 raises
So well-spoken! - PASS, 2 raises
So polite and thoughtful! - PASS, 2 raises
...but argh, my stomach! - PASS

9 Dinner Points, no illness!
Imperial | Seiyaku | Archivist | Wealthy | Blessed | Fortunate... or not so much?
Honor: What is expected | Glory: 1.0 | Status: 2.5 | Courtship Points: 8

Carries: personal chop, chopsticks, kiseru, sake cup, fan, and pleeeenty of paper

Description!
Otomo Tenzo

Postby Akodo Runno on Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:40 pm

Akodo Runno took a seat as the banquet begin. Social functions were not really here area of expertise. History, at least partially, was more in sphere of influence. And despite a...staggering level of recall in her chosen period, the Lion's stewardship of Unicorn lands after the Ki-rin's departure, Runno decided to keep it simple.

Lore: History - Lion - Passed 2 raises

Given the possibly inflammatory nature of the topic, Runno had to tread carefully. Given her disdain for social niceties and the laconic manner she usually conducted herself, the kami delivered a minor miracle. She wasn't exactly an example of etiquette, but the Lioness managed to not offend anyone.

Etiquette/AWA - Passed

The eating part turned out to be easier. Runno was politely declined most items and held her utensils without dropping them. More or less a good run, all told.

Etiquette/AWA - Passed

The problem came when a particularly gruff looking Moto smiled down at her, holding a bowl of milk in both hands. Runno accepted the bowl with a faint smile. Milk hadn't touched her lips since...well she wasn't walking much at the time. Still it was expected to take a drink, so down went the bowl. The Akodo's smile grew forced and she covered her mouth with a hand. The Moto returned the smile and offered more....Runno placed a hand over the bowl. "Excuse...me....for...a....moment..."

Retching could be heard behind one of the nearby yurts, preempting a somewhat worse for the wear Akodo.

Milk Vomit Comet Go - Stamina Failed

5 Diner points
Lion Clan • Samurai • Tactician
Status: 1.0 • Glory 1.0 • Honor: Exceptional • Courtship: 2
Carries: Things
Akodo Runno

Postby Seppun Hitako on Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:14 am

Just as other started eating, Hitako whispered a prayer to her ancestors, that they might guide her through this. With their guidance, she turned to her neighbor, one of the Unicorn, and after being introduced, asked "I have studied, do to my Master, a few things that we have learned from the far Burning Sands. I wonder, though, if you might be able to continue my education further? Particularly in regards to those cultures you faced that Rokugan should know of. We are not alone in the world, after all, and the Unicorn are the connection to all that is out there."

She listened carefully to the man's answer, and continued to ask careful questions. She was so concerned with what he was saying, and trying to learn all that she could, that she wasn't paying attention to what she was eating, only that she tried a little of everything.

Which, in the end caused her to carefully excuse herself from the meal, and calmly and sedately leave the tent. And find the latrines. And use them for entirely the wrong purpose, but one that she needed to. She then felt the Ancestor's heading off, as they left her to the physical world, before her stomach rebelled again. It wasn't fun, but at least she felt quite purged when it was over. And hoped she had made a good impression on her hosts.

Casting Never Alone, TN 16, VP: 26 for success. +3 to skill and trait rolls.

I Am Interesting and Fascinating: Lore: Burning Sands/Intelligence, prodigy, 2 CR, Never Alone, TN 20: 29 for 3 DP.

I Can Speak Good: Etiquette/Awareness, 2 CR, Never Alone, VP for 1k1, prodigy, TN 20: 25 for 3 more DP.

I Am Polite and Thoughtful: Etiquette/awareness, 1 CR, Never Along, prodigy, TN 15: 23 for 2 more DP.

The Seven Thunders Are Fighting Fu Leng In My Stomach: Stamina, Never Alone, TN 15: 13, sick, but no allergy.

Total: 8 Diner Points; illness, no allergy.
Seppun Hitako
Imperial • Shugenja • Sahir • Friendly Jinn
Honor: What is expected • Glory: 1 • Status: 1.5 • Courtship: 9
Mekhem
Seppun Hitako

Postby Isawa Nonin on Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:43 pm

Nonin is amazed by both the variety of foods and the variety of company here. He has never been much for social events but everyone here seems so welcoming, he cannot but help but be the same.

He soon finds himself in a conversation about the kami and why they are not found outside the Empire. Nonin adbances some points he has been pondering and soon the conversation is joined in earnest. He managed, in spire of his interest in the topic, to avoid being pushy or impolite in the discussion.

Stepping aside for a few minutes, he called upon the calming nature of the Void,before returning to finish the meal. While there were many weird (ew!) but tasty (yum!) things among the foods available, to his surprise, he found himself only full and not uncomfortable at the end of the meal.

OOC:
Part 1, Lore Theology, Success with Two Raises, 3 points
Part 2, Etiquette/Awareness, Success with one raise, 2 points
Part 3, Etiquette/Awareness, Success with one raise, 2 points
Casting Calling upon the Void
Food, it was good, not at all troublesome. Success,

Final Score: 7 Dinner Points, no trouble with food
Isawa NoninPhoenix Clan • Shugenja • Animals Like Me
Status: 1.0 | Glory: 1.0 | Honor: What is Expected | Courtship Points: 5

Carries: Wakizashi, Medicine Kit, another Medicine Kit, Scroll Satchel
Sometimes accompanied by a puppy.
Isawa Nonin

Postby Seppun Aramoro on Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:34 am

The tidy Seppun stepped into the dining room scouring the floor for an open seat. He straightened his kimono and briskly walked over the seat. He took a deep bow in apology, greets, then takes a seat and begins to discuss the buildings of the Dark Edge Village and how it compares to Unicorn standards.

Although he was late, he had expected conversation and had insisted the kami assist him in clearing his mind. And seeing the strange food presented he persuaded called the kami of endurance to bolster his resolve. They did not seem to care for his bossy demeanour, but he managed to coerce them the second time around.

Aramoro carried himself in a proper and polite manner through out, not because he sought favour, but because it is expected.

Quicken Mind Spell TN20 (2xCR): 29 succeed (forgot black scrolls so it is 23)
Earth's Touch(Stamina) Spell TN16: 14 Fail (Nauseated by Black Scrolls for 1 round, Vomit??)
Earth's Touch(Stamina) 2nd casting Spell TN16:19 succeed

Lore:Theology***/Intel TN 25 (3xCR): 33 succeed = 4 Dinner pt (Will change subject to Architecture if allowed, I forgot I posses Sage Advantage and would prefer a less serious subject)
Etiquette/Awa, 1 CR, TN 15: 29 succeed = 2 Dinner pts
Polite: Etiquette/Awa Void 1k1, 2 CR, TN 20: 31 = 3 Dinner pts
Stamina TN 15: 27 Not sick
= 9 Dinner pts
Imperial • Hazy Pupils • Shugenja • Knowledgeable • Conservative • Wealthy
Status: 1.5 | Glory: 1.0 | Honor: Expetional | Courtship Points: 9
Carries:Robes, Kimono, Wakizashi, Scroll Satchel, Fan, Sweets • Profile
Seppun Aramoro

Postby Shosuro Yawarakai on Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:27 pm

The Shosuro heir took a seat dressed in a scarlet kimono which clung to his upper torso quite intentionally. Tucking into the food, he smiled politely and spoke of the events of the long periods of time between the exodus and their apparent return. Despite his cursory knowledge, it still wasn't the most enthralling tale. Still, his manners were beyond reproach and his demeanor completely inoffensive. He helped himself to a few extra portions of this strange food. The flavor was quite odd, but the texture of this cheese was quite enjoyable.

----
Lore roll, one raise: failed, -2 dinner points
2x etiquette rolls, 2 raises: both pass, +6 dinner points
Stamina roll: passed, no further consequences.
4 dinner points total.
Scorpion Clan • Courtier • Dangerously Beautiful • Blessed by Benten • Governor of the Painted City
Glory 1.0 • Status 2.0 • Honor: Untrustworthy • Courtship Points: 8
Always carried: Extravagant clothing, mask, wakizashi, bracelet, perfume(applied), calligraphy kit
Shosuro Yawarakai

PreviousNext

Return to The Administrative Center