Revealing Winds (D9, LA, Expecting)

Re: Revealing Winds (D9, LA, Expecting)

Postby Shosuro Yawarakai on Wed May 03, 2017 9:06 pm

"Thank you for your clemency Otaku-sama," he said, bowing politely. He sighed softly and, wiping his hand across the chopsticks to clean them, deposited them on the blanket next to the small boxes of food.
Scorpion Clan • Courtier • Dangerously Beautiful • Blessed by Benten • Governor of the Painted City
Glory 1.0 • Status 2.0 • Honor: Untrustworthy • Courtship Points: 8
Always carried: Extravagant clothing, mask, wakizashi, bracelet, perfume(applied), calligraphy kit
Shosuro Yawarakai

Postby Otaku Kitakuhime on Wed May 03, 2017 9:42 pm

Kitakuhime stops chewing with the carrot in her mouth, noticing Yawarakai started to pack things up. "I don't wish for any impressions I have to become he source of enmity between our families. I thank you for your attitude, Shosuro-san. To err and apologize is noble, but to apologize in the name of others is even grander. It humbles me."
Unicorn Clan • Kuge • Shiotome • Heir • Benten's Blessing • Dangerous Beauty • Contrary • Gullible • Overconfident
Status: 4.0 | Glory: 0.2 | Honor: Strength of a Thousand Ancestors | Courtship Points: 6
Carries: Ornamented Choker, Sturdy Clothing, Daisho, Riding Armor + Daikyu + Quiver (when appropriate) • ProfileTheme
Carried by: Gekko (Otaku Battle Steed, where appropriate)

Otaku Kitakuhime

Postby Shosuro Yawarakai on Wed May 03, 2017 10:08 pm

"I don't think you have, Otaku-sama. And I don't want you to be. But if you'd like to be more than simply 'not the source of enmity between our families' then I think there is a clear course that leads to it," he offered appraisingly, sitting back slightly to take her in more fully. He lifted one hand to his lips and wiped them with his thumb gently, then traced the corner of his masked cheek with his index and middle fingers in thought while he studied her.

"I don't want you humbled either. I want what is best for my family and my clan. Given birth and circumstance, any consideration for myself is not possible. This is also an opportunity to do great things for your family and your clan. If it were not for the miai, then this union would be more complicated. There would be more politics involved, more Imperial interests involved. But for Unicorn and Scorpion, for Otaku and Shosuro, and for you and I, this is possible. Right here, right now. An honorable courtship, in example for those who have fallen to their lesser impulses, an action in defiance to the untruths laid against your feet by careless, anonymous lips. The two of us, together. It will not be easy, but in the spirit of one spouse being loyal to the other, I do not soften things because I think you too weak to bear them. It will be challenging at times, but I will do my best to support you through it and all you need do is the same."

His eyes peered intently and his warm smile melted into something more serious.

"Dare with me, for the sake of those we are sworn to serve. What say you Otaku-sama?"
Scorpion Clan • Courtier • Dangerously Beautiful • Blessed by Benten • Governor of the Painted City
Always carried: Extravagant clothing, mask, wakizashi, bracelet, perfume(applied), calligraphy kit
Shosuro Yawarakai

Postby Otaku Kitakuhime on Wed May 03, 2017 10:27 pm

"Make no mistake, Shosuro-san, duty comes first, my personal feelings last. The issue is: even if I may grow to appreciate more of just your presence, I cannot yet visualize how your offer can be specially beneficial to the Unicorn. There are other proposals I have been presented with, as you may know," she tilts her head slightly left, squinting her eyes to pay more attention.

Kitakuhime readjusts her choker –– that wasn't actually out of place, continuing, "Propose to me, and to my Clan. Please, be direct."
Unicorn Clan • Kuge • Shiotome • Heir • Benten's Blessing • Dangerous Beauty • Contrary • Gullible • Overconfident
Status: 4.0 | Glory: 0.2 | Honor: Strength of a Thousand Ancestors | Courtship Points: 6
Carries: Ornamented Choker, Sturdy Clothing, Daisho, Riding Armor + Daikyu + Quiver (when appropriate) • ProfileTheme

Otaku Kitakuhime

Postby Shosuro Yawarakai on Wed May 03, 2017 11:43 pm

"I did not know that for certain, but I would have been astounded to hear no one had made even a suggestion," he said with a laugh. He shook his head, caught her eyes once more, and began to explain with serious intention.

"The details are fluid, of course, but my idea is this. You and I marry. If you have a brother, then he marries my younger sister. If I become an Otaku, then he becomes a Shosuro. If you take my name, my sister takes yours. If you have no brother, then the next closest male in the Shosuro line marries your sister or the next closest female heir. We bind ourselves and our interests. If there are more who wish to marry? Shinjo, Moto, Ide, Bayushi, Soshi, all, we mix them. We facilitate them. We forge a powerful, lasting bond between our clans with bodies and minds. We support each other. We take these marriages in elevated positions and we negotiate trade to facilitate resources the other lacks. Silks, spices, medicines in the future. Before that, heimin, rice, iron and wood. The things you need to rebuild your strongholds in your returned image and plant roots anew. An alliance between Great Clans, with connections at the highest levels. And all of this is rational, logical, and attainable in the short term and in the long."
Shosuro Yawarakai

Postby Otaku Kitakuhime on Wed May 03, 2017 11:53 pm

The girl raises a hand gently, measuring benefits with her gestures. "Am I unsure if my family would find it adequate to form an alliance with the artisan family of a Clan that is known to antagonize the essential traditions that maintains our purity of purpose. As heir of the Otaku, the only benefit I see the Unicorn could be granted is complete and total access to the painted city and its provinces. Specially if, as you mentioned, if I am to become part of your Clan."

Kitakuhime shakes her head, "I am trying, Shosuro-san, but the more I analyze it, more parting points I see."

Otaku Kitakuhime

Postby Shosuro Yawarakai on Thu May 04, 2017 12:48 am

"My Clan serves the Empire loyally and with purpose," he said, his eyes narrowing slightly, "What cause have you to insult me so? Or reduce family to one of artisans with only a singular purpose when we are a political force as well as a military one. And though I have no doubt that travel can be arranged freely for representatives of your family and clan to visit the Kawa province or the Painted City, but such unrestricted access like you ask could only be possible if the Shosuro were allowed complete and total access to your family's lands and stables and plains on which you will raise your magnificent stallions."
Shosuro Yawarakai

Postby Otaku Kitakuhime on Thu May 04, 2017 1:27 am

"I have to ask for your forgiveness. I meant no disrespect for your Clan or the art your family so dutifully pursue to enrich and glorify the Empire. I meant the many values the Scorpion uphold may antagonize the values and traditions of my family, and, perhaps, to an extent, the Unicorn. Your Clan is as much part of the Empire as the Unicorn has become. Both are graced with a founding Kami, but our families differ in thoughts."

Kitakuhime bows again to apologize, and returns with serene eyes, realizing a common ground which they share.

"It seems we are often finding ourselves agreeing to disagree. Which, I believe, is a good final result."

Otaku Kitakuhime

Postby Shosuro Yawarakai on Thu May 04, 2017 1:47 am

"Even the Kami couldn't agree on everything Otaku-sama, so perhaps we are in good company," he offered conciliatorily.

"The important thing is working together for the sake of our families, Clans, and the Empire."
Shosuro Yawarakai

Postby Otaku Kitakuhime on Thu May 04, 2017 1:59 am

"Indeed. With that in mind –– now that I understand your goals –– if you provide me the honor: I would like to discuss with other potential candidates from my Clan which may be better aligned to your ideals. We don't have much time, but I hope to satisfy our duty to the Empire at this miai in the best of my abilities." She provides a relaxed smile, while laying hands over her legs again.

Otaku Kitakuhime

Postby Shosuro Yawarakai on Thu May 04, 2017 2:18 am

"Who did you have in mind Otaku-sama? And just in case any of the rumors are true and some have developed affections for others here, I add that nothing is so bad so long as they are discrete neh?" he said with a shrug, leaning backwards slightly while moving one hand behind him to lean on while they talked.
Shosuro Yawarakai

Postby Otaku Kitakuhime on Thu May 04, 2017 11:28 am

Her eyebrow twitches with his comment, but she adds in her –– or any others –– defense, "Many may see the relationship their developed fading away. Discretion is polite as loyalty is sure to come. Most of the participantes sang their songs clearly out in the open, after all."

She leans forward to tell suggest, "I was thinking in someone that would be more artistic than I am. Someone more adapt to courtly environments. Ide Samai-san a prominent courtier, and has showed to be in the Governor's favor more than once. I am sure she'll be able to provide much of what you think I would, and more."

Kitakuhime lifts a finger, "Iuchi Sakhasa-san. She is a pool of knowledge and sharper in tough and mind than many blades. There is not a mystery she would leave unsolved, and her quest to be informed of the unknown is something to admire."

Otaku Kitakuhime

Postby Shosuro Yawarakai on Thu May 04, 2017 11:50 am

"Even those who hid their intentions with their songs, such as Shinjo Liu Yue did. She said that many who did like her were simply being clever, shrewd. All I can say in return is that though duty might prevent a marriage from being born out of discrete love, should the one I marry have someone closer in their heart that I... like her sister for example and Bayushi Suteichi, I would not seek to end that relationship just because of my marriage," he explained before his eyes widened slightly and he added, "though please do not mistake my use of her as an example for interest."

He inhaled softly and listened to her suggestions.

"Ide-san seems like she would be a worthy match for a courtier but she lacks your political capital. And Iuchi-san sounds like she would be better wed to a Soshi or a Yogo for there are mysteries and wonders aplenty there for her to spend her life untangling, but she sounds even less suited to my intentions than Ide-san.

"I wish to marry you Otaku-sama. Some of that is the person you were born to be, and I would seek to marry that person even if they were as plain as the earth beneath us and dull as a rock, for my duty alone, but I must admit I find you intriguing and I would very much have liked to get to know you sooner. Now all I can do is get to know you as well as I can and hope that we would be friends, truly friends. The rest of it will come, back in public and in front of people with duty and masks and words that sound of meaning and mean nothing. And I would be your friend in that world too, but I would also be your fiancee. Please. There are no others here for me but you, and I will do what I can to see that you are happy and fulfilled. Not just the Otaku's heir, but you."
Shosuro Yawarakai

Postby Otaku Kitakuhime on Thu May 04, 2017 1:04 pm

Strike.

Kitakuhime freezes. Her heart, instead, races as the silent charge of the battle maidens. Truth or lies, she is moved. Visibly.

The girl's eyes rapidly scan Yawarakai, trying to find further flaws while she asks herself, Benten! Why do you have to be so cruel? I can't stop staring at this... mischievous, villainous and –– oh Kami –– handsome boy. Enough!

It infuriates her even further: mind telling one thing and, now, her feelings betraying her plans. Kitakuhime lifts herself up, red with anger, embarrassment and something else.

"Desire is a sin!" Is the only reply she manages to return.

She bows to him for the last time this day, and turns to fetch Gekko.

Otaku Kitakuhime

Postby Shosuro Yawarakai on Thu May 04, 2017 2:02 pm

"You'll find I have not sinned," he said, rising quickly to follow her though he does not move as quickly as she, "I do not merely covet you like a merchant does coin, nor is there any trace of carnal longing in my voice. You and I are like earth and water - capable of blending on an elemental level to become something necessary and fertile upon which lives and generations can be built. Please do not dismiss me because you might fear me to be a love-sick puppy. I want what is best for my family and I believe that to be a great boon for your family as well. That is not desire, that is duty and loyalty. My intentions are honorable, I have been nothing but sincere. I have been candidly honest and want this to work the best for everyone involved which is the definition of compassion. This is firmly rooted in bushido and my intentions are pure."

He called after her, several feet of distance between them now. He raised his hands and spread them open to either side, hiding nothing.

"You'll find I am not afraid of what I am proposing nor the challenges that might raise, and I've done my best to address them again in earnest and head them off now, in our first meeting, and I regret nothing I have said, done, or pledged to do. Look at me, please. Look at me, and see my plain and pure truth," he asked before falling silent to let his words ring around the grassy knolls around them.

Fabric rustled as he raised one arm to the back of his head. His fingers curled and dragged through his immaculate hair, catching the silken string. He pulled up and over, and the metal patchwork which covered as much of his face as it hid slipped off and fell to the ground with a dull thud.

"Look at me... please?"
Shosuro Yawarakai

PreviousNext

Return to The Western Fields