Morning Has Broken (D9, EM, Dong-Ha's)

Re: Morning Has Broken (D9, EM, Dong-Ha's)

Postby Iuchi Dong-Ha on Mon May 01, 2017 5:32 pm

"I would like to have you.. wearing red and while." he admitted shyly as he scooped out a piece of cheese and took a bit of it, letting the rest fall back into his bowl. "Oh, and well done with the dog yesterday. You are finally catching up."
Unicorn Clan • Mystic
Honor: Expected • Status: 1.0 • Infamy: 0.3 • Courtship: 2

"Power is what you think it is."
Languages: Mekhem
Carries: Wakizashi, assorted shamanistic trinkets and baubles, woolen robes, knife
Gaijin riding horse: Poppy
Iuchi Dong-Ha

Postby Usagi Tomoe on Mon May 01, 2017 5:44 pm

Tomoe shyly pushed the contents of the bowl around as her thoughts were filled with all sorts of ideas, at least his change of topic gave a safer option.

"Thank you... it seems we placed equally high too, so congratulations."

She caught up more with the language-test the Ide sprung on them, as it had nudged her from 'completely ineligible' to 'about the same value as a lame but fertile mare'. At least now she was not considered a lame mare.

"I'm just sad I had to give up Chibi-Usa. She was adorable..."
Hare Clan • Sly Courtier • Sage • Soul of Tamamo-no-Mae • Herbalist • Fox-Child
ProfileMusic
Honor: Exceptional • Status: 1.0 • Glory: 1.0 • Courtship: 6!

Has: Wakizashi, pet tortoise (Ganko), fan, scroll or book, jade, stone, med-kit.
Usagi Tomoe

Postby Iuchi Dong-Ha on Mon May 01, 2017 5:51 pm

"Thank you. Unfortunately, your competition did.... also rather well." Dong-Ha muttered. He'd never thought that Hotaru would have been that good with animals. Especially when you considered what she'd done with Poppy. "Speaking of which, I talked to Seppun-sama yesterday." He paused for a moment to gobble down rest of the cheese. "I spoke my mind to her. She... she noted that the arrangement would be purely... eh.. practical to her. That she didn't expect anything from me. She even said that we'd both have... have .. lovers of our own." he looked positively crestfallen. "I didn't know that people as lowly as us... would do such things."

"I think I'm better without Doggo, don't think I did such a good job with him. I mean, I guess i could have kept him but... never been much of a dog person."
Unicorn Clan • Mystic

Carries: Wakizashi, assorted shamanistic trinkets and baubles, woolen robes, knife
Iuchi Dong-Ha

Postby Usagi Tomoe on Mon May 01, 2017 5:57 pm

Tomoe tried not to choke one the bite of cheese, so she managed a small polite cough instead. "Err... she said that?" she blinked in surprise. "I mean... it's not unusual in arranged marriages, that spouses agree for the other to take on a lover as long as discretion is observed, but... it seems rather counter-productive to a Miai, I'd say. I mean, if one cares so little for the match, they might as well had stayed home and asked the matchmaker to find them someone of appropriate rank."

"My own parents were set to marry out of convenience for their clans, as it's often common to cement trade agreements or exchanges with a joining of families, but I know that they were fond of eachother, from what I can remember. Many samurai marry for duty, but I like to think most do their best to make it work and to achieve harmony with their spouse."
ProfileMusic

Has: Wakizashi, pet tortoise (Ganko), fan, scroll or book, jade, stone, med-kit.
Usagi Tomoe

Postby Iuchi Dong-Ha on Mon May 01, 2017 6:08 pm

"She did say that." Dong-Ha confirmed with a sigh. "I told her that she should find someone who makes her happy. Someone who would fit her life back at the capital. I am not sure she understood." he shook his head. "I mean, she was honest, I give her that but... it sounds so sad to think an union merely as a duty. When it could be so much more." the young Iuchi turned to look at Tomoe, his eyes full of affection.

"It didn't sound like she was planning... or even willing to work on that." His gaze dropped on the ground. "I don't understand how she can live with herself. How she can find contentment with all those rules and restrictions."

"I don't want to be caged to a gilded house, Tomoe. I would rather live in a tent... than to..." he quietly swallowed the rest of the words.
Unicorn Clan • Mystic

Iuchi Dong-Ha

Postby Usagi Tomoe on Mon May 01, 2017 6:19 pm

Either the poor woman is a few swords short of a daisho, or she's suffered a rather horrible family-life.

Still, it didn't mean Tomoe wouldn't poke her nose into things and try to work things out with the Imperial. Maybe she just needed to be directed to a more suitable match for her... and if she's been playing matchmaker and advisor to so many others, why not help another.

"Even if you were to join my clan, if the circumstances made it so, I wouldn't force you to be caged in a gilded house. I mean... life among the Hare is anything but being in a gilded cage; it is hard work for everyone, even one like me. There is lots of the Shinomen Mori to explore and patrol, and many places to go on behalf of the Clan. There are many young samurai children who need teachers, and I'm sure Touei-sama would appriciate any help he could have with being the spiritual guide of our clan." There was a fond smile on her lips as she spoke of her clan. "Reichin-shiryo was a ronin before he founded our clan, and he always understood the need for some personal freedom in our daily lives."
ProfileMusic

Usagi Tomoe

Postby Iuchi Dong-Ha on Mon May 01, 2017 6:34 pm

"That is reassuring thing to hear. I don't think I could live in a city." He took a small sip from his cup, wiping off the milk stuck on his mustache with one of his sleeves. "So, how are the Hare doing now?" He recalled they had discussed the duties of her clan, but the details on the life among the Hare had not been addressed. "And how big your lands are? How many samurai serve your lord?"

"I'm sorry... I know it has nothing to do with you, I am just curious." he sounded slightly worried despite his smile.
Unicorn Clan • Mystic

Iuchi Dong-Ha

Postby Usagi Tomoe on Mon May 01, 2017 6:49 pm

"Oh no, it's perfectly alright to ask," she said with a reassuring nod.

"Our numbers are currently around 200,000... at least from what I recall of the last time I read over our records. About 13% of that are samurai, so 26,000 samurai. And... well, about a third of our samurai population are toddlers and infants. It's because our clan isn't very old, and our Daimyo have been very," she blushed, "actively encouraging us to marry and produce the first generation of true Hare."

Despite the blush, she had pride when she spoke of her clan.

"Our lands aren't very big yet, at least not the places with population and ricefields, but much of the Shinomen Mori, while not claimed by any clan, is our responsibility to watch. If I were to give you a number on the size of our official territory, I think according to one of the maps I've seen it would be about... a little less than 2000 square miles. Give or take."
ProfileMusic

Usagi Tomoe

Postby Iuchi Dong-Ha on Mon May 01, 2017 7:05 pm

"That many? In only... what, eight years?" he sounded impressed. "Reichi-dono must have been quite a man, to gather such a following in short time. There might be... what, two, three times of that number of us. Well, if you count everyone. I guess about half of us are samurai?" The Dark Ride has taken its toll. "We are almost like one of the smaller clans, in number at least. I hope we can grow, though." Dong-Ha looked at Tomoe.

"Uh..." hearing her talking about reproduction caused Dong-Ha to pause and take an another sip from his cup to steady his nerves. "I hope that goes well for... you."

"Oh, speaking of which, you mentioned that your own family was smallish.. would you... would you.." the poor man stammered. "...mind a larger family?" Now it was Dong-Ha's turn to blush.
Unicorn Clan • Mystic

Iuchi Dong-Ha

Postby Usagi Tomoe on Mon May 01, 2017 7:13 pm

"He was an inspiring figure," she chuckled. "And he had many friends who were ronin like him, who followed him because of their admiration of him."

As he brought up the question of family, she couldn't help blushing, even if it had been on her mind too earlier.

"Uhm... I think so, yes..." she nodded shyly. "A big happy family. I think I would like that."
ProfileMusic

Usagi Tomoe

Postby Iuchi Dong-Ha on Mon May 01, 2017 7:22 pm

Dong-Ha froze for a very visible moment. "Uh..." Yet, his eyes shimmered with joy. "Tomoe-san..." He inhaled deeply only to exhale slowly. "I know it's not a likely thing to happen. I know that chances are... what they are. But you..." the young Iuchi made sure to find Tomoe's eyes as he spoke. "... you make me think like we could have a common future. Together. With uh... children at our feet." the red that had risen to his cheeks was still there.
Unicorn Clan • Mystic

Iuchi Dong-Ha

Postby Usagi Tomoe on Mon May 01, 2017 10:00 pm

And that is why I don't want to give up. I believe I can be happy this way.

The violet-hued eyes met his gaze. "Hai... ishi-ouji, I feel that too. That we could have a good, harmonious marriage. I intend to do the best I can in your Family's tests today and tomorrow, so that I might prove I am worthy of it."

"The Fox, they have a saying: Fall down seven times, stand up eight. Even if I'm a Hare now, I intend to continue living by this philosophy. I won't let me defeats so far keep me down... I will stand up again, and try again and again. Sooner or later, I will manage something."
ProfileMusic

Usagi Tomoe

Postby Iuchi Dong-Ha on Tue May 02, 2017 3:22 am

"In my eyes, you are already worthy." Dong-Ha murmured sheepishly, leaning to his palm to hide his face from her. Conflicted as he was, the whole situation was bit overwhelming. Even if he had talked to Hitako, chances were that someone else would claim him just because he was, as Seppun had put it, a rare specimen. "Hai."

"Iuchi-shiryo has been noted telling us that the power is what you think it is. That... we make what is." He managed to look up again. "That we hold all the power within us to actualize what we could be. All we need to do, is to believe."
Unicorn Clan • Mystic

Iuchi Dong-Ha

Postby Usagi Tomoe on Tue May 02, 2017 9:02 am

"I'm flattered that you think so," she smiled, "but I understand I must prove such to the others as well."

And sure, the first test of the Iuchi would prove to be quite the surprise later that day, but at least it proved she'd do whatever it would take for them to see her worth too.

"That... sounds very interesting. It is different than what I have been taught before, that shugenja need to possess a special blessing for the kami to listen to them. Does that mean, if I could believe and find the power too, I could also learn your arts?" While she understood that the question might be rude to some, it was an intriguing idea to her, especially if she joined the Iuchi. Would that mean she would learn it too, as a member of their family?
ProfileMusic

Usagi Tomoe

Postby Iuchi Dong-Ha on Tue May 02, 2017 9:17 am

"Yes!" Dong-Ha exclaimed. "The power lies with the words themselves. Anyone holding my stones could command their magic." he added. "Well, as long as they could speak the right words at least." the young man laid his bowl on his lap as he spoke.

"It takes several years to learn to craft the amulets, and it's easier to use charms you have crafted yourself. Also, the intonation has to be correct for the magic to work, which again takes a while to figure out. The language of the Laramun doesn't really resemble Rokuganese.. or Menkehm, really."

"If we are to live together, I could teach you if you wanted."
Unicorn Clan • Mystic

Iuchi Dong-Ha

PreviousNext

Return to Northwestern Yurts