[D9 LM] the end is neigh

[D9 LM] the end is neigh

Postby Iuchi Dong-Ha on Mon May 01, 2017 12:03 pm

Having finished his breakfast with Tomoe, the smugly smiling Dong-Ha headed to the stables. He hadn't seen to his horse in few days and while he was sure the stable hands took good care of her, he wanted to make sure that everything was fine as well as prepare her for the ride the following day. Reaching to the stables, he sought out his horse, and spent a good while brushing her. He did feel a little guilty for not having done the same the previous two days.

Having finished grooming and saddling the largish brown mare that had carried him to the Empire, Dong-Ha led his horse to the north of the village, allowing her to stretch her limbs.
Unicorn Clan • Mystic
Honor: Expected • Status: 1.0 • Infamy: 0.3 • Courtship: 2

"Power is what you think it is."
Languages: Mekhem
Carries: Wakizashi, assorted shamanistic trinkets and baubles, woolen robes, knife
Gaijin riding horse: Poppy
Iuchi Dong-Ha

Re: [D9 LM] the end is neigh

Postby Matsu Kogo on Mon May 01, 2017 2:50 pm

Kogo walked out to the horsemanship field, needing to stretch her legs. Noburu followed behind her, periodically roaming to search for gophers or weasels to catch. "You are insatiable Noburu. One would think I never fed you."
Lion Clan • Beastmaster • Gullible • Idealistic • Paragon: Courtesy
Honor: What is expected l Status: 1 l Glory: 1 l Courtship : 1

Carries: Wakizashi, sweets, traveling game of Go, jade

internal thoughts
Accompanied by Warcat Noburu at most times.
Matsu Kogo

Postby Iuchi Dong-Ha on Mon May 01, 2017 2:58 pm

Whoa... that is a big cat. Dong-Ha noted to himself as he saw Noboru, reaching to pat Poppy's neck to ensure her that everything was fine. Having endured the horrors of the Dark Ride, the brown Mare had seen all kids of things and while she nervously shuffled to the side, she didn't bolt.

Figuring the situation would be best solved on foot, the young Iuchi dropped down from horseback and grabbed the reins of his steed. Horses were always more pliant when led, as opposed to being ridden. And so leading the way for Poppy, Dong-Ha approached Kogo, hailing her as he get within talking distance. "Good morning samurai-san."

"Big cat you have there."
Unicorn Clan • Mystic

Carries: Wakizashi, assorted shamanistic trinkets and baubles, woolen robes, knife
Iuchi Dong-Ha

Postby Matsu Kogo on Mon May 01, 2017 3:04 pm

Kogo turns, hearing the approaching hoofs and feet. "Good morning, Iuchi-sama. This one is Noburu." She says gesturing. "And this one is Matsu Kogo." She notes the nervousness of the steed. "I beg your pardon, noble one. Do not be concerned, Noburu is a polite cat, if mischevious. She will not harm you. " Kogo attempts to calm the nervousness, not wishing such a beautiful creature to be frightened.

Animal handling fluff 3: 4d10o10k2 22

Kogo's voice is quiet and softer as she lowers her body relative to the horse. She touches Noburu's side and brings her closer, having her lie down. The horse quiets and quits shifting her feet. Kogo smiles at the horse. "You are a brave steed. Many would not come so close to one such as Noburu."

internal thoughts
Matsu Kogo

Postby Iuchi Dong-Ha on Mon May 01, 2017 3:33 pm

"Iuchi Dong-Ha, son of Iuchi Dong-Suk." he offered the Lion a polite bow. "Well met, Matsu-san." Dong-Ha could finally recall where he had seen her family insignia before. The small cute Lion boy had worn the exactly same device. "And I am no noble." A soft laugh followed the statement as dark brown eyes settled on the war cat. "Poppy's see a fair bit." He patted her neck affectionately, lifting his eyes to regard Kogo.

"So Noboru is your pet... or?" the animal was too small to serve as steed, unless it actually belonged to Yurio.
Unicorn Clan • Mystic

Iuchi Dong-Ha

Postby Matsu Kogo on Mon May 01, 2017 3:39 pm

Kogo smiles. "She is my partner, one who will hopefully lead a pride of lions with me, by my side. She is a Matsu Warcat. They are famed for their ferocity, as well as their intelligence." Kogo realizes he did not realize she was speaking to the horse earlier. "Ahh, your horse's name is Poppy? That is a pleasant name." In the same voice as she used before, soft and quiet, she says "You are obviously well traveled, Poppy."

internal thoughts
Matsu Kogo

Postby Iuchi Dong-Ha on Mon May 01, 2017 4:04 pm

"She was named by my... now departed little sister." he admitted with a sigh. "Our journey here was not without its hardships." Dong-Ha muttered softly, his gaze dropping on the ground for a moment.

"Warcats? The Lion breed and raise lions to wage war?" In his mind, Dong-Ha wondered if the Scorpion had a horde of small arachnids into war in their stead. "That is... interesting." And to a degree, scary. Though, he had never seen Lion catch a healthy horse, so the idea seemed ridiculous at first. Then he recalled the sorry excuses the natives called horses. Couldn't outrun anything on one of those runts.

Poppy neighed softly, shaking her mane as she did so.
Unicorn Clan • Mystic

Iuchi Dong-Ha

Postby Matsu Kogo on Mon May 01, 2017 4:34 pm

Kogo senses the sadness. "Loss is part of life but it is still loss. I am sorry for yours." She watches his surprise. "Yes, the Matsu do. We are one of the few to hunt so. The Lions have been bred for generations to be the size and intelligence they are. Matsu beastmasters are often the striking fist of an army, for the Lions inspire such...intense feeling in those they oppose."

internal thoughts
Matsu Kogo

Postby Iuchi Dong-Ha on Mon May 01, 2017 4:47 pm

"Thank you." the young man muttered a ever so slightly pained expression on his face. "But it is in the past now. Her and my brother's souls have surely moved on." He couldn't imagine Emma-O keeping the souls of the children in Meido for years. Souls of the innocent deserved a new chance on the karmic wheel. "Uh... I see. Do they wear armor... or something as well?" Arrows were a constant danger in a field of battle and a large animal made an appealing target. "I can... only imagine."

"I am not a bushi myself, so I would not know much of such things." he added bit sheepishly.
Unicorn Clan • Mystic

Iuchi Dong-Ha

Postby Matsu Kogo on Mon May 01, 2017 4:58 pm

Kogo shakes her head. "No, though it might be beneficial. I suspect a cat would be singularly uninterested in such a thing, despite its practicality. Their claws and teeth are their weapons and their hide, their armor." Her face is serious for a moment. "Sometimes, it is not sufficient. But they are valiant warriors, regardless."

internal thoughts
Matsu Kogo

Postby Iuchi Dong-Ha on Mon May 01, 2017 5:12 pm

Hmhm, that would make a lion skin coat a nice thing to have... If the hide was strong, surely the parched leathers the Unicorn wore would be even stronger. "Aye, horses can be much the same, defending their fallen riders. Well, at least the Otaku ones. Moto war horses... are more a mean breed. See, a war horse has to have a bad character. Your normal... err... normal horse is gentle as poppy here." Dong-Ha's calloused hand ran along Poppy's forehead. "They tend to run away from most things, including their own shadow. So, to get a horse suited for war, you need a mean animal. One that might kick or bite people out of spite."
Unicorn Clan • Mystic

Iuchi Dong-Ha

Postby Matsu Kogo on Mon May 01, 2017 5:13 pm

Kogo nods. "Many of the Otaku and Shinjo horses have been more comfortable than many around Noburu. I was surprised. But what you say makes a great deal of sense. Most horses would be fools to not run from a lion, especially one her size."

internal thoughts
Matsu Kogo

Postby Iuchi Dong-Ha on Mon May 01, 2017 5:23 pm

"Many would." He turned to look at Poppy, wondering if the poor animal has been scared to senseless during the Dark Ride. "So, prides of lion roam the Lion lands or... do you have large stables or the animals? How does it actually work, raising a warcat."
Unicorn Clan • Mystic

Iuchi Dong-Ha

Postby Matsu Kogo on Mon May 01, 2017 5:35 pm

Kogo smiled. "We have areas that are designated for them where they sleep. They do not openly roam largely, though there are wild groups. But those who are to be Warcats are trained and tamed, similar to how I suspect horses are raised. The Matsu are most comfortable with them, being used to them. But the Akodo court was definitely slightly surprised by her."

internal thoughts
Matsu Kogo

Postby Iuchi Dong-Ha on Mon May 01, 2017 5:42 pm

"So where in Lion lands they hail from, then?" Dong-Ha asked, curiosity creeping into his tone. "Or is the tradition more widespread?"
Unicorn Clan • Mystic

Iuchi Dong-Ha

Next

Return to Horsemanship Field