[D6 EA] Watching the lancers

Re: [D6 EA] Watching the lancers

Postby Doji Fukawa on Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:57 am

Fukawa looked slightly uncomfortable as the mystic decided public was a great place to discuss monsters as if they were real, and the death of a kinswoman, that Fukuoka didn't know.

The field did little to distract from this as the Unicorn princess of fail made a hot mess of the competition.

Maybe she fell off her horse and they explained the death away with monsters? she wondered.

"It is tragic that she met her end at a place of new beginnings." she said. "May her next turn on the wheel be more fortunate."
Crane Clane * Courtier * Pretty *Perfumed *Prized *Petite* Perfect Pitch

Glory: 1.0 Honor: Exceptional Status: 1.0 CP: 13

Carrying: Extravagant clothing, jewelry, money, (Day 6) Violet Fan with Horses Charging Forward (Day 8) Accompanied by Dog, Takahiro

Theme Song
Doji Fukawa

Postby Iuchi Dong-Ha on Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:23 pm

"Mayhaps. But she will be surely reborn." there was a hint of pride in Dong-Ha's voice. "It was as a good death. There is nothing unfortunate in a good death."
Unicorn Clan • Mystic
Honor: Expected • Status: 1.0 • Infamy: 0.3 • Courtship: 2

"Power is what you think it is."
Languages: Mekhem
Carries: Wakizashi, assorted shamanistic trinkets and baubles, woolen robes, knife
Gaijin riding horse: Poppy
Iuchi Dong-Ha

Postby Doji Fukawa on Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:16 am

Fukawa nods.

"Emma-O will surely judge her swiftly and fairly." she poses, hoping to put an end to the talk about death.

Her eyes were drawn to Matsu Nintoku competing at this lance event...but it seemed that the limitless military prowess of the Lion did indeed have limits.

Carrying: Extravagant clothing, jewelry, money, (Day 6) Violet Fan with Horses Charging Forward (Day 8) Accompanied by Dog, Takahiro

Theme Song
Doji Fukawa

Postby Iuchi Dong-Ha on Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:26 am

"We expect no less." Dong-Ha noted. "He is just as he is righteous." He turned to regard Fukawa.

"Pray tell me Doji-san, how are the Crane funerals? I have been told that your kin have best preserved the rituals of old..."
Unicorn Clan • Mystic

Carries: Wakizashi, assorted shamanistic trinkets and baubles, woolen robes, knife
Iuchi Dong-Ha

Postby Doji Fukawa on Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:54 pm

I bet you are just the life of the party at any gathering. Fukawa thought as the mystic stayed on his grim topic, just as Shinjo Kemuri kept the Unicorn in unimpressive performance in the lancing.

"Hmmm, perhaps, Iuchi-san. The practices are pretty standard Empire wide, though I think the Crab do a few things differently. The body is purified and given water and salt for it's last meal. It lies in state in it's bedroom for three days. On the fourth day, the body is cremated and the ashes will be stored in the family mausoleum or in a graveyard with a stone marker. A small ceremony is held for friends and family only, where a shugenja aids the spirit on it's way. Otoki is offered in the receiving room." she says, trying to think of anything special. "I believe that's it."

Theme Song
Doji Fukawa

Postby Iuchi Dong-Ha on Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:42 am

Funerals were an important ritual and the miai was organized so that the Unicorn could learn from the others. No-one had told Dong-Ha that the topic was somehow inappropriate.

"Otoki?" he had understood most of her explanation, though he wasn't quite sure why the body had to sit in a room three days before it could be burnt. "That sounds.. mostly familiar. I mean, we'd usually burn or bury the body the next day. Oh, and usually the whole group would be in attendance. Everyone who knew the deceased will be present at least, to say their words."
Unicorn Clan • Mystic

Iuchi Dong-Ha

Postby Doji Fukawa on Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:20 pm

Fukawa watched the Scorpion doctor ride back and forth without actually hitting anything.

"Otoki are vegetarian dishes only served at funerals. The word is a combination of Otogi 'to keep awake' and toki 'to purify and coordinate.' The ritual meal is intended to do both." she replied.

Unicorn cuisine was a dangerous topic, but surely it had to be better than funeral customs.

"In their travels, have the Unicorn come across any interesting vegetarian dishes?" she asked.

Theme Song
Doji Fukawa

Postby Iuchi Dong-Ha on Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:38 pm

"Ah, so grave offerings." he was familiar with the custom after all. "We do that too, though most of the time it's spirits or sweets." Dong-Ha explained. "Or whatever the grievers manage to scrounge up."

"Thank you for your explanation, Doji-san." the young Iuchi offered the Crane a modest bow. "Uh, that would depend what Doji-san would consider interesting? There are dried alltamarr, fruit from a certain kind of nakhlat that I am pretty sure you don't have in Rokugan. Sometimes the people of sands serve honeyed alltamarr. Then there are various kinds of spicy pasts made from peppers, oils and such that are eaten on khabaz, a... savory pastry of sorts."
Unicorn Clan • Mystic

Iuchi Dong-Ha

Postby Doji Fukawa on Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:51 am

Fukawa considered those.

"Could you describe what they look like?" she asked. "Since I'm unlikely to ever see them, I would be interested in hearing what it was like."

Theme Song
Doji Fukawa

Postby Iuchi Dong-Ha on Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:47 am

"Uh.. reddish brown little nuggets, bit damp." Dong-Ha spread his fingers, leaving about two inches between them. "About this size, more sweet than sour, but not too sweet." he tried his best to explain the concept of dates to the Crane. "Never seen a nakhlat here, though maybe they grow further south? Tall trees with all the leaves on the top. No branches."
Unicorn Clan • Mystic

Iuchi Dong-Ha

Postby Doji Fukawa on Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:00 am

Fukawa considered the description.

"It doesn't sound familiar, Iuchi-san." she admits. "Perhaps they can be found in the lands of the Mantis? Their weather, from what I understand, is unlike any part of the mainland."

Theme Song
Doji Fukawa

Postby Iuchi Dong-Ha on Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:04 am

"If they are warm enough, perhaps? There is one of the Mantis here, I think. Yuzuru-san or something like that?" he could not quit recall her name. "She has a cat she carried around." That ought to make it easier to pick her apart.

"Has Doji-san had many chances to travel then?"
Unicorn Clan • Mystic

Iuchi Dong-Ha

Postby Doji Fukawa on Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:18 pm

Fukawa shakes her head.

"No, this miai is the farthest I've been from my parents estates." she admits.

Looking out at the field, she sees Togashi Udo put in the best performance so far.

"Togashi-san is certainly a surprising individual." she offers. "Where does a mountain dwelling monk learn to lance?"

Theme Song
Doji Fukawa

Postby Iuchi Dong-Ha on Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:40 pm

"Oh.." Dong-Ha sounded a little surprised. For a nomad, the notion that someone could spend most of their lives in a single place seemed almost laughable. "I see. I hope you have enjoyed your journey so far, then."

He watched the monk perform admirably. "Uh, I wouldn't know much about Dragon monks." Then again, did anyone know much about them? "So, I would not know. They are still, samurai, right?"
Unicorn Clan • Mystic

Iuchi Dong-Ha

Postby Doji Fukawa on Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:52 pm

Fukawa nods.

"The Togashi family are a unique case in many respects." she offers. "They are both samurai and monks. While their champion is a Togashi, most of the daily business of leading the clan falls upon the Mirumoto family. They almost never marry. They seem to keep their numbers up by adoption, though there are tales of people being called to their mountains and chosen."

"I've spoken to Togashi-san, though, and he is an exception. He has come to this miai with the goal of not only marrying, but of falling in love." she offers.

Theme Song
Doji Fukawa

PreviousNext

Return to Horsemanship Field