Power Ballad Observation Thread (D7, EA & LA)

Re: Power Ballad Observation Thread (D7, EA & LA)

Postby Matsu Kogo on Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:56 pm

Shinjo Kemuri wrote:While he was watching the whispered conversation, Kemuri heard Kogo's voice. For the duration of her song, he was distracted, smiling in appreciation of the performance. He was surprised and pleased that she had chosen to sing, regardless of who the subject was.

As she joined the other observers, he gave her an encouraging smile and a nod. Then, his attention returned to the matter at hand.

She saw his smile. At least that is one friendship that has no thorn. He is a good man. She smiles back at him and watches him return to his observation.
Lion Clan • Beastmaster • Gullible • Idealistic • Paragon: Courtesy
Honor: What is expected l Status: 1 l Glory: 1 l Courtship : 1

Carries: Wakizashi, sweets, traveling game of Go, jade

internal thoughts
Accompanied by Warcat Noburu at most times.
Matsu Kogo

Postby Asako Hirase on Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:02 pm

Shinjo Liu Yue wrote:
Asako Hirase wrote:Yue blinked and looked at him with bemused eyes. "Are you certain that my song was sincere? I may have sung it because I did not want to choose a suitor so blatantly in front of the crowd."

" 'A samurai owns every word he speaks'." Hirase met her eyes squarely as he quoted a basic tenant of their caste. "You may be many things, but I do not think a liar is one of them. If you simply did not wish to choose, I think you would simply have sat and watched, the way several others are doing."
Phoenix Clan * Courtier * Widower * Single Father * Husband-elect of Shinjo Liu Yue
Glory: 1.0 Status: 1.0 Honor: What is Expected

Orange Text = Speaking Yobanjin * Description

Always Carries: Writing materials, healthy snacks, fan
Asako Hirase

Postby Moto Baatar on Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:03 pm

Yogo Mizuki wrote:"I'm curious, how do you see the Unicorn's role now that they have returned?" Honestly, Mizuki wasn't sure why she never asked anyone this yet.

"Well, hmm, good question." Baatar pondered this for a moment before speaking.

"You must know I'm not important enough to tell people what to do or anything, so what I think doesn't matter very much," he cautioned. "But it seems to me that we've seen a lot of stuff Way Out There where no one else in Rokugan has gone. That's gotta count for something, right?"

"We've met chiefs and merchants from a hundred barbarian tribes, a dozen big cities; a few kingdoms and empires, even. The Ide know just how to talk to them to get them to cooperate; and we Moto know just how to beat them into submission if they don't cooperate."

"So it seems to me that the Unicorn are, like, guarding the western gates of Rokugan," Baatar concluded. "If you're a trade expert, surely you must see how useful it is to have gates. Gates can let merchants and traders through, while shutting barbarians and bandits out."
Unicorn Clan • Samurai • Gaijin Name • Failure of Courtesy
Honor: Untrustworthy • Status: 1.0 • Glory: 0.0 • Courtship: 4
carries: scimitar, wakizashi, shochu, puppy. when appropriate: Unicorn horse, riding armor
Moto Baatar

Postby Shinjo Liu Yue on Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:05 pm

Asako Hirase wrote:" 'A samurai owns every word he speaks'." Hirase met her eyes squarely as he quoted a basic tenant of their caste. "You may be many things, but I do not think a liar is one of them. If you simply did not wish to choose, I think you would simply have sat and watched, the way several others are doing."

"You are quite wise, Hirase-san," she said with a smile behind her fan. "However, one more argument is that I needed to compete to rise in the rankings. I could not afford to sit idly by."
Unicorn - Bushi - Horrible Burns - Missing Left Arm - Damaged Eye - Rather Tall - Unfamiliar (Gaijin) Name - Dauntless
Status 1.0 - Glory 2.0 / Infamy 0.2 - Honour: Untrustworthy - Courtship: 5
Languages: Mekhem, Yobanjin

Typically Carries: Sturdy Clothing, Daisho, Fan, Small Hand Mirror, Finger of Jade, Coin Purse, Small Knife, Medicine Kit, Sake Cup

Riding Horse: Hikazume, Puppy: Gon
Shinjo Liu Yue

Postby Seppun Hideo on Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:16 pm

Otaku Kitakuhime wrote:"Quite a few have. But I don't understand: Wasn't the intention of the song to be a romantic interest –– any one romantic interest?"

She puts both palms of her hands up. "Perhaps Seppun-san is making a bit of a confusion here. I do not need to show or have romantic feelings with my future husband. I am here at this miai to honor my clan, to marry and have healthy, honorable children to serve the Unicorn and the Emperor. That is my duty, and I intend to see it realized. My romantic preferences have nothing to do with duty."

Hideo took a moment to consider that. It was an interesting view to take, and he could certainly see the merit in it. He looked very thoughtful.

"So you have viewed the event not to be one based on declaring who you wish to marry, but instead to say that there is one you have romantic interest in that you do not - or in this case cannot - marry. Hm..." Hideo actually smiled "you have always been a very interesting woman Otaku-sama, and I applaud you for a more unique consideration for the events intent. I certainly did not read the event this way, and I'm unsure that most others have considered it like that."
Imperial * Shugenja * Scholarly * Description
Courtiship Points: 7
Always carries: Robes/Kimono, Amaya's Fan, Wakizashi, School Satchel, Calligraphy kit, Paper, Chopsticks, Medicine Kit
Seppun Hideo

Postby Otaku Kitakuhime on Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:24 pm

Seppun Hideo wrote:Hideo took a moment to consider that. It was an interesting view to take, and he could certainly see the merit in it. He looked very thoughtful.

"So you have viewed the event not to be one based on declaring who you wish to marry, but instead to say that there is one you have romantic interest in that you do not - or in this case cannot - marry. Hm..." Hideo actually smiled "you have always been a very interesting woman Otaku-sama, and I applaud you for a more unique consideration for the events intent. I certainly did not read the event this way, and I'm unsure that most others have considered it like that."

As if the weight of the whole Kaiu Wall had left her shoulders, Kitakuhime closes her eyes in relief. "Thank you. Thank you so much for understanding, Seppun-san."

The Otaku princess offers him a deep, long bow.

Returning with a brilliant smile, adds, "The light of Heavens surely light your path, Seppun-san. It is proven to me once more today."
Unicorn Clan • Kuge • Shiotome • Heir • Benten's Blessing • Dangerous Beauty • Contrary • Gullible • Overconfident
Status: 4.0 | Glory: 0.2 | Honor: Strength of a Thousand Ancestors | Courtship Points: 6
Carries: Ornamented Choker, Sturdy Clothing, Daisho, Riding Armor + Daikyu + Quiver (when appropriate) • ProfileTheme
Carried by: Gekko (Otaku Battle Steed, where appropriate)

Otaku Kitakuhime

Postby Asako Hirase on Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:30 pm

Shinjo Liu Yue wrote:"You are quite wise, Hirase-san," she said with a smile behind her fan. "However, one more argument is that I needed to compete to rise in the rankings. I could not afford to sit idly by."

"That is so." His nod acknowledged her point. "That is the reason I participated, overall. But you still could have taken the easy path and chosen a friend, as Khulun has done. Yet how you reacted and the beauty you chose to praise...forgive me, but that is not the reaction of a mere friend praising another."
Phoenix Clan * Courtier * Widower * Single Father * Husband-elect of Shinjo Liu Yue

Asako Hirase

Postby Shinjo Liu Yue on Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:36 pm

Asako Hirase wrote:
Shinjo Liu Yue wrote:"You are quite wise, Hirase-san," she said with a smile behind her fan. "However, one more argument is that I needed to compete to rise in the rankings. I could not afford to sit idly by."

"That is so." His nod acknowledged her point. "That is the reason I participated, overall. But you still could have taken the easy path and chosen a friend, as Khulun has done. Yet how you reacted and the beauty you chose to praise...forgive me, but that is not the reaction of a mere friend praising another."

"You have proven to be wise once again, Hirase-san." Yue shrugged. "I have a question for you. I believe I know the answer. However, I am compelled to ask. Should I expect you to compete for my hand in marriage too?"
Unicorn - Bushi - Horrible Burns - Missing Left Arm - Damaged Eye - Rather Tall - Unfamiliar (Gaijin) Name - Dauntless

Typically Carries: Sturdy Clothing, Daisho, Fan, Small Hand Mirror, Finger of Jade, Coin Purse, Small Knife, Medicine Kit, Sake Cup

Shinjo Liu Yue

Postby Asako Yuki on Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:39 pm

Moto Butaj wrote:Butaj enters the fray, or whatever frayed fray has been left after all the indignation, angst and accusations of dishonor that rolled through when he was waiting for his turn to sing a song. He is mightily confused, and many thoughts fly across his head like drunk herons or sun-blinded bats, about the romantic inclinations between Kitaku and Misa and between Yue and Mizuki. And about Hanashi's song for Misa too. For the record, he knows exactly where Khulun's thoughts were coming from and doesn't see any flaw in them, understanding something for once. But in this floating mush of ambiguity there is one someone who shines bright in his eyes without it, and this is who his eyes set on when he enters the area. She is in a conversation so he doesn't rush, but he remains spellbound moving among people as if they were dim and grey, and only she has sharp contours and vivid colors he can perceive with accuracy and detail.

(Butaj can be approached)

Yuki had, perhaps obviously, turned a brilliant scarlet as Butaj sang, and with her fan in the hands of the man, and having not made or gotten possession of a new one yet, she had little choice but to hide her face in her sleeves. It took, at least in Yuki's mind, forever for her heart to stop pounding so obviously, and for her face to chill to a pleasant pink. Yuki feels the desire to approach, but knows that, after such performances, it would be perhaps unsightly to do so. Certainly not helped by her still rushing heart and the cacophony of thoughts going through her mind.
Asako Yuki • Phoenix Clan • Bushi • Dangerously Beautiful • Gullible
Status: 1.0 | Glory: 1.0 | Honor: What is Expected | Courtship Points: 5

Carries: Daisho, Smoking Pipe, necklace
Asako Yuki

Postby Asako Hirase on Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:49 pm

Shinjo Liu Yue wrote:"You have proven to be wise once again, Hirase-san." Yue shrugged. "I have a question for you. I believe I know the answer. However, I am compelled to ask. Should I expect you to compete for my hand in marriage too?"

"I am in no place to compete for anyone." For a moment, shame flickered over his features and he dropped his gaze. "I have failed to gain any ground here and, unless the Iuchi feature matters of religion and the Fortunes favor me highly, I do not expect to do so in the few days which remain. But, to the intent of your question? I would be pleased, if you chose me. I have liked you and considered you a friend since the first day we met. Your kindness in teaching, and your way with my son, have only increased my admiration. While I would have been happy to have a marriage that could grow into romantic love, I was perfectly content with a beloved friend before and would be happy to be so again. If you do not?"

He smiled, though it was smaller than before.

"I will pray to Hotei for you and whomever you do choose, with no ill will and gladness for my friend's happiness."

Asako Hirase

Postby Seppun Hideo on Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:53 pm

Otaku Kitakuhime wrote:As if the weight of the whole Kaiu Wall had left her shoulders, Kitakuhime closes her eyes in relief. "Thank you. Thank you so much for understanding, Seppun-san."

The Otaku princess offers him a deep, long bow.

Returning with a brilliant smile, adds, "The light of Heavens surely light your path, Seppun-san. It is proven to me once more today."

"Your words honour me Otakui-sama; I still mean what I said to you when we first met, I wish for the Imperial Families and the Unicorn to continue a close connection, and my counsel will continue to be offered. However..."

He took a moment to consider again.

"I am concerned that this relationship may be strained because of misunderstandings."
Imperial * Shugenja * Scholarly * Description
Courtiship Points: 7
Always carries: Robes/Kimono, Amaya's Fan, Wakizashi, School Satchel, Calligraphy kit, Paper, Chopsticks, Medicine Kit
Seppun Hideo

Postby Otaku Kitakuhime on Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:06 pm

She nods in agreement. "Likeminded. Yet, honor demands satisfaction for offenses given, even if by mistake. In such case, apologies are always accepted –– specially in the Unicorn."

Kitakuhime closes her fists, bringing them up. "I had hopes not to draw steel and blood, but I also cannot offend the ways of the Empire. It is a conundrum, see: if I am not granted victory, the Unicorn will be marred by Miya-san's words until someone else cleanses it. If Heavens see that I am victorious, I protect the honor of my Clan."

There's a deep sigh, and she smiles again, looking up to him with sparkling eyes.
Unicorn Clan • Kuge • Shiotome • Heir • Benten's Blessing • Dangerous Beauty • Contrary • Gullible • Overconfident
Status: 4.0 | Glory: 0.2 | Honor: Strength of a Thousand Ancestors | Courtship Points: 6
Carries: Ornamented Choker, Sturdy Clothing, Daisho, Riding Armor + Daikyu + Quiver (when appropriate) • ProfileTheme
Carried by: Gekko (Otaku Battle Steed, where appropriate)

Otaku Kitakuhime

Postby Shinjo Liu Yue on Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:18 pm

Asako Hirase wrote:"I am in no place to compete for anyone." For a moment, shame flickered over his features and he dropped his gaze. "I have failed to gain any ground here and, unless the Iuchi feature matters of religion and the Fortunes favor me highly, I do not expect to do so in the few days which remain. But, to the intent of your question? I would be pleased, if you chose me. I have liked you and considered you a friend since the first day we met. Your kindness in teaching, and your way with my son, have only increased my admiration. While I would have been happy to have a marriage that could grow into romantic love, I was perfectly content with a beloved friend before and would be happy to be so again. If you do not?"

He smiled, though it was smaller than before.

"I will pray to Hotei for you and whomever you do choose, with no ill will and gladness for my friend's happiness."

Yue sat there with her expression covered by her fan. She remembered when she had considered him highly in terms of suitors, perhaps even at the top. But much had changed over the last week. I wish for a warrior by my side. I'm sorry, Hirase-san.

She closed her fan and looked at him with her On completely intact. "Arigatou gozaimasu, Hirase-san. I do not know what I did to deserve such kindness." She nodded. "I too wish for a partnership in marriage with a dear friend. I believe I would also be happy to marry you." She took a deep breath. "However, I believe the likelihood that we are wed to be low. In addition, I plan on choosing another suitor if I have the chance."

The Shinjo gave him a bow. "Gomennasai. If you climb in standing, I will not dissuade you from selecting me."

Shinjo Liu Yue

Postby Usagi Tomoe on Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:20 pm

Moto Khulun wrote:“Strong name, good one to honor and bring more glory to. Good death defending others,” she says proudly.

“We have much to learn, from each other, yes. I am learning more and more that old and new ways will clash. It is our way to change with the wind, this will be no different.”

“Odd day, perhaps something in the milk? Livestock eat bad oats?” she says looking around.

"Odd day indeed," Tomoe agreed, her attention pulled to the performances. Kogo's attempt was rather adorable to the Hare, as she had such high hopes for her Matsu friend.

"We have some talented samurai here at least. Are songs of love, like this, really this common among the Unicorn?"
Hare Clan • Sly Courtier • Sage • Soul of Tamamo-no-Mae • Herbalist • Fox-Child
ProfileMusic
Honor: Exceptional • Status: 1.0 • Glory: 1.0 • Courtship: 6!

Has: Wakizashi, pet tortoise (Ganko), fan, scroll or book, jade, stone, med-kit.
Usagi Tomoe

Postby Yogo Mizuki on Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:22 pm

Moto Baatar wrote:
Yogo Mizuki wrote:"I'm curious, how do you see the Unicorn's role now that they have returned?" Honestly, Mizuki wasn't sure why she never asked anyone this yet.

"Well, hmm, good question." Baatar pondered this for a moment before speaking.

"You must know I'm not important enough to tell people what to do or anything, so what I think doesn't matter very much," he cautioned. "But it seems to me that we've seen a lot of stuff Way Out There where no one else in Rokugan has gone. That's gotta count for something, right?"

"We've met chiefs and merchants from a hundred barbarian tribes, a dozen big cities; a few kingdoms and empires, even. The Ide know just how to talk to them to get them to cooperate; and we Moto know just how to beat them into submission if they don't cooperate."

"So it seems to me that the Unicorn are, like, guarding the western gates of Rokugan," Baatar concluded. "If you're a trade expert, surely you must see how useful it is to have gates. Gates can let merchants and traders through, while shutting barbarians and bandits out."

Mizuki nods. "Hai. I am fascinated by many of the things I've heard about your Clan's travels. I see the value in the knowledge your Clan has gained. I would like to learn more."
Scorpion Merchant * Kuge * Blessed By Daikoku * Wealthy * Black Sheep

Honor: Untrustworthy * Status: 3.0 * Glory: 1.0 * Infamy: 0.2 Courtship Points: 6
Yogo Mizuki

PreviousNext

Return to The Dueling Fields