[D4 EE] Shelter In Place

Re: [D4 EE] Shelter In Place

Postby Seppun Hideo on Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:21 am

"I would have assumed no less than those of a more gaijin background that would marry Unicorn would become kin. Forgive me if my questions are invasive, I am a scholar and I find the history of the Unicorn something I wish to learn more in detail. There is much that you and your kin experienced that we in the Empire would have no idea even existed, and I approach all situations with an open mind. Much as I have done to your quite delightful foods" Hideo smiled "as this is a miai, it has made me more curious about the marriages of the Unicorn in the hundreds of years before your return. As for my own marriage...I came here knowing that there would of course be a chance of marrying into the Unicorn, and if such a thing were to come to pass I would welcome this, just as much as I would welcome one of your own into the Seppun family."
Imperial * Shugenja * Scholarly * Description
Courtiship Points: 7
Always carries: Robes/Kimono, Amaya's Fan, Wakizashi, School Satchel, Calligraphy kit, Paper, Chopsticks, Medicine Kit
Seppun Hideo

Postby Iuchi Saksaha on Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:29 pm

Phew! Saksaha nods to signal understanding of this.

"My people were strangers in the lands of others, and some of them were generous and welcoming to us," she says, shifting a little to get another layer of wool skirt between her backside and the slightly uncomfortable rim around the bucket's foot. "We held to who we are. But we did not hold ourselves separate to the point of weakness." She gives the Seppun a somewhat curious look. "I had thought the members of your families were very few and of high rank. But I suppose if you choose someone who is also of high birth...?"
Unicorn Clan • Priestess • Spiritwalker • Gives Love A Bad Name (Infamy)• Future Togashi???
Honor: What is Expected • Glory: 0 • Infamy: 0.2 • Status: 1 • Courtship Points: -1 • Description
"I'm not good, I'm not nice, I'm just right/I'm the Witch/You're the world."

Speaks Mekhem (with an Ujik-hai accent) and Rokugani.
On her person: embroidered wool robes, various dangling meishodo charms, belt pouch, kiseru, tanto, wakizashi.
Iuchi Saksaha

Postby Seppun Hideo on Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:17 pm

Hideo pretends not to notice the shifting woman, instead focusing on her words. "It's good to hear that there are peoples in the lands beyond Rokugan that are welcoming, and I would imagine some of their customs became intermingled with your own even as you held your traditions close. It would make tracing your lineage a little more interesting though, neh? While I can trace my lineage eventually back to Lady Seppun, my lineage will always be centered around Otosan Uchi. I imagine your lineage could further than travelling the whole of Rokugan."

He smiled.

"The Imperial Families do not number as many as the great clans, and we are all of high rank. However, so are your Shitome maidens for example. There are many among your kin of importance, and while it is more likely that one of your kin would marry into the Imperial Families, I am prepared if one of your prestigious kin decides to marry me to become part of the Unicorn clan, and continue both my learning of your histories and my sharing of stories and the ways of Rokugan."
Always carries: Robes/Kimono, Amaya's Fan, Wakizashi, School Satchel, Calligraphy kit, Paper, Chopsticks, Medicine Kit
Seppun Hideo

Postby Iuchi Saksaha on Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:01 pm

It would be good to have some local priests join us. But this one seems too delicate to be the choice of those important shiotome, Saksaha thinks. Not that she expects to be consulted on the matter. She shrugs.

"To be accepting like this is a good way of thinking. It is one I should learn also." She glances again at his scroll satchel, to which her curious eyes have wandered a few times throughout this conversation. "It is said those born to be priests here are few. Your family are willing to give you away?"
Unicorn Clan • Priestess • Spiritwalker • Gives Love A Bad Name (Infamy)• Future Togashi???
Honor: What is Expected • Glory: 0 • Infamy: 0.2 • Status: 1 • Courtship Points: -1 • Description

On her person: embroidered wool robes, various dangling meishodo charms, belt pouch, kiseru, tanto, wakizashi.
Iuchi Saksaha

Postby Seppun Hideo on Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:40 am

"Shugenja are not as numerous as bushi" Hideo nodded in confirmation "the Phoenix clan number the highest as far as priests are concerned. However, we have no oath or code to say we should not marry out, although it should still be considered an honour as it would mean that the children of the couple would have a higher chance of being able to commune with the kami. I don't know if such a thing would cause issues with your magics though, Iuchi-san? From what I understand after speaking to one of your kin, you and your kin cannot hear the voice of the kami."
Seppun Hideo

Postby Iuchi Saksaha on Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:11 pm

"It is not that we cannot hear," she says hastily, and then backtracks a bit. "Well, to some of us the voices are returning already, now that we are back, and to others they may return later. Iuchi-shiryo was a student of Isawa, so such things are also in our bloodline still." However diluted. "But it is true, our way of commanding the elements is different from yours. Our ancestors learned it when the Clan rode far from Rokugan and found the voices of the spirits growing fainter with each day's journey, until at last they could be heard no more."

Iuchi Saksaha

Postby Seppun Hideo on Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:22 am

Hideo nodded. "Forgive me for the misunderstanding, your kin Iuchi Batul-san said she couldn't hear the kami, so I had assumed it was something that all of the Iuchi faced. So the voices are coming back, but you are unable or unsure how to call upon the kami now you have returned to the Empire? I find your magic very curious, it looks quite beautiful in its execution and the creation of the trinkets I imagine is quite interesting."
Seppun Hideo

Postby Iuchi Saksaha on Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:19 pm

"Do you hear the spirits all the time, whatever you are doing?" Saksaha asks curiously. "I have 'heard' no such voices yet, but I do not know if they may come. Maybe I am already too old, or have not the right habits of mind. But I do not know how it should be if it does come," she admits.

"It is a very careful art." She touches one of the amulets that hangs at her breast. "Many generations of learning lie behind each of these. It must be that your written spells, the long speeches you read to the spirits, are no different in this way."

Iuchi Saksaha

Postby Seppun Hideo on Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:23 am

"You are most certainly not too old, Iuchi-san" Hideo shook his head "you are very much still young and in time you may hear the kami. Perhaps seeking a husband among the priests of the empire can help you hear them again? As for myself, I can certainly hear and feel them at all times when they are around, but the schooling of the empire attunes the priests so that they are not overwhelmed by the voices of the kami."

He considered that as he looked at the amulet.

"There are many that value the word as an art more important than more physical arts. While perhaps our spoken spells are no different, I would certainly say yours are much more beautiful to look upon i their uncast form" he chuckled "how are your kin selected to learn this art? Is it expected of all Iuchi or is there a specific gift that only some are able to call upon to create them?"
Seppun Hideo

Postby Iuchi Saksaha on Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:26 pm

"Teachers choose students and students choose teachers... well, it is a little of both." Saksaha shrugs slightly. "With you it must be very clear, I think? A child hears these voices, so they must learn, like you say, not to be overwhelmed? But even among us some have the patience and the aptitude and the will to command the elements, while others prefer other things, or even if they wished can find no teacher who thinks them worth teaching. I myself have three brothers, and all are bushi. But of the four of us my grandmother knew that I should find a meishodo teacher."

((Well, that's my head-canon, anyway. Possibly if Hideo asks Dong-Ha or Batul he'd get a slightly different answer. ;) ))

Iuchi Saksaha

Postby Seppun Hideo on Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:57 am

Hideo nodded thoughtfully at that. "So rather than being something akin to hearing the kami, it is only those with the will to create and the ability to gain access to a teacher? Interesting, thank you for explaining. It would explain why more of your kin cannot call upon it. Did you find the art difficult to learn?"
Seppun Hideo

Postby Iuchi Saksaha on Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:00 am

"It takes much time," Saksaha says, seeming to think seriously about the question. "Often I fail many times before succeeding. But I learn things also from failures. Lately I have tried to make some new charms, for example, and some were not good, but the next were better. So, for me, I do not think it is any harder than it is for my brothers to learn the sword and bow. But for others perhaps it would be harder, or easier." She pushes a drying wisp of hair behind her ear and asks, "How is it learning your way?"

Iuchi Saksaha

Postby Seppun Hideo on Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:20 am

"For myself, it was very...focused, but quiet. Learning to attune oneself to the elements, a lot of meditative moments and prayers. A priest needs to have much patience, as the kami are not always quick to answer prayers if they do at all, and more than once when I was learning I found myself being impatient as the Fire kami chose to dance in the flames of a torch instead of listen to my prayers."

He chuckled, smiling.

"I can look back fondly on those moments, although in recent years it has been less enjoyable. The kami have become much more distant."
Seppun Hideo

Postby Iuchi Saksaha on Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:50 pm

"Distant." Saksaha leans forward a bit, hands on her knees. "My cousin Batul also heard this from some shugenja, but we other Iuchi did not know what it means and could not explain it to her. When Iuchi and his tribe followed Shinjo out of Rokugan, as they crossed the Sands it is said the voices of the spirits became fainter and quieter, and responded less, until they would hardly answer at all."

"This is why Iuchi studied the secrets of the sorcerers--because Isawa's prayers, which he knew of old, often went unheard in the far west. Is this like what you mean? Or is it different from this?"

Iuchi Saksaha

Postby Seppun Hideo on Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:32 am

"She heard that from me, I informed her a few days ago" Hideo said with a chuckle "forgive me if this is not what you wished to learn? It is not quite like that, it is more...the kami are afraid, or something is causing them to be pushed away. It is a sickness that caused the priests to sometimes be overcome with sudden illness when calling upon them. I'm curious how much our different magics can intermingle, if the kami can be used to enhance your trinkets, or if the trinkets can be used to help call upon the kami... it would be an interesting experiment."
Seppun Hideo

PreviousNext

Return to The Stables