(D5 LM, Taira's Yurt) Benten is a Cruel Mistress

Re: (D5 LM, Taira's Yurt) Benten is a Cruel Mistress

Postby Shinjo Liu Yue on Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:31 pm

"I am not sure," she replied. "I have never harbored such feelings for a man. That day may come or it may never come."

Yue nodded. "We must both do our Duty, Taira-dono. I still believe you are the best match for me present at this miai." She let out a small chuckle. "You may be the best match in the Empire. The truth in that does not matter. What matters is that you are a dependable man with numerous talents. Most importantly, you are someone I trust."

I couldn't have overlooked all the signs. To say I never noticed would be a lie.

"I am not sure, Taira-dono." She let out a soft sigh. "I underestimated my own charm. I was unsure if your affections were," she trailed off, trying to find the right words, "I thought your affections were your natural personality. And that is why I believe I have been a fool."
Unicorn - Bushi - Horrible Burns - Missing Left Arm - Damaged Eye - Rather Tall - Unfamiliar (Gaijin) Name - Dauntless
Status 1.0 - Glory 2.0 / Infamy 0.2 - Honour: Untrustworthy - Courtship: 5
Languages: Mekhem, Yobanjin

Typically Carries: Sturdy Clothing, Daisho, Fan, Small Hand Mirror, Finger of Jade, Coin Purse, Small Knife, Medicine Kit, Sake Cup

Riding Horse: Hikazume, Puppy: Gon
Shinjo Liu Yue

Postby Soshi Taira on Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:59 pm

Taira snorted. "You would not be alone in being a fool, if you are."

Resting his head back against the tent pole, he added, "I admit... I was hoping a woman wanting to marry me might... think more of me. That I could be a comfort to them, and more than just... a duty."

He rubbed his eyes. "I guess you probably wish you could marry someone who would let you feel the same... the fortunes are cruel, are they not?"
Scorpion Clan :: Good Cop :: Doctor :: Paragon :: Pragmatic :: Spirit-Touched :: Cursed
Honor: Untrustworthy Status: 1.0 Glory: 3.0 CP: 2
Carries: Daisho, medical satchel, black and red kimono, tall collar 'mask', ink-splotched fan
Now treating: Patient No.18

Description:: Theme:: Struggle
Soshi Taira

Postby Shinjo Liu Yue on Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:07 pm

"I do think more of you. You are a friend of mine."

Like the usage of 'friend' helps there...

She took a deep breath. "I nearly died last night. You kept me safe. You nurtured my wounds. You allowed me to keep fighting." Her hand went for his shoulder as a small form of consolation. "The serpent may have struck me down instead of the Mantis. You covered my openings. I may not have been as fortunate as her."

Yue then nodded. "I do. I have wished I was born a man. I have wished I saw a man the way I see a woman." She let out a solemn laugh. "I have wished that I did not lose my arm. The only option is for me to press forward."
Unicorn - Bushi - Horrible Burns - Missing Left Arm - Damaged Eye - Rather Tall - Unfamiliar (Gaijin) Name - Dauntless

Typically Carries: Sturdy Clothing, Daisho, Fan, Small Hand Mirror, Finger of Jade, Coin Purse, Small Knife, Medicine Kit, Sake Cup

Shinjo Liu Yue

Postby Soshi Taira on Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:19 pm

He reached over, resting his hand on hers, studying her face. Wondering how uncomfortable it made her.

"Hai, we always press forward, no matter what."
Scorpion Clan :: Good Cop :: Doctor :: Paragon :: Pragmatic :: Spirit-Touched :: Cursed
Carries: Daisho, medical satchel, black and red kimono, tall collar 'mask', ink-splotched fan

Soshi Taira

Postby Shinjo Liu Yue on Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:28 pm

Yue smiled faintly at him as he gazed upon her. She had often wondered if her makeup was a wasted effort given her wretched scar. "My Clan has a saying: 'Bloodied, but unbroken.' All samurai embody this."

Shinjo Liu Yue

Postby Soshi Taira on Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:34 pm

He tightened his grip slightly, letting, for just one moment, the hand on his shoulder belong to someone who loved him, in his mind, before letting that thought go, and with it, her hand.

Running his right hand through his hair, he said, softly, "We do. We scorpion do not give trust lightly... nor do we rescind it lightly. No matter what comes... no matter how this... no matter what I feel or decide... I want you to know you can still depend on me for what I can do."

Soshi Taira

Postby Shinjo Liu Yue on Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:50 pm

"Sou desu ka." The Shinjo was unsure of what he meant by the last part but she did not want to press him. She backed away from him slowly and gently as she assumed he wanted his space. "The Scorpion are known for two things. They wear masks and are loyal."

Shinjo Liu Yue

Postby Soshi Taira on Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:13 pm

"I would be your friend, no matter what end this miai holds." And now that end was much... murkier... in his mind. The path he had seen now gone, in a sudden pit of confusion and rubble.

"Yep. We are, indeed, people that wear masks, and loyal."

He managed a weak smile.

Soshi Taira

Postby Shinjo Liu Yue on Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:23 pm

Yue looked at his face and then perked her brow. "Your collar does not hide as much as the other masks. Why did you choose it, Taira-dono?"

A though then crossed her mind. "Do women who marry into the Scorpion begin wearing masks? Do men who marry out of the Scorpion cease wearing theirs?"

She scratched the back of her head. Best not to assume we're getting married... ugh.

Shinjo Liu Yue

Postby Soshi Taira on Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:31 pm

Taira raised an eyebrow.

Well, she identified his mask, at least...

Start with the second question.

"Hai, typically those who marry in wear masks. Almost always. They would choose one and accept it during the wedding, once they were reborn into their new family."

A soft sigh. "As for those that marry out, it depends on the individual, and their new family. Most stop, but some keep them."

Brushing his fingers along the edge of his collar, he nodded. "It is to deflect blood and other uncleanliness while I work."

Rolling his neck, he listened to it pop, then he went on, "It seems like a more open mask, but it is not. It is a wall between me and my patients. It is... more notable from below. It is functional. It does not interfere with my work. It lets others mistakenly forget that I am Scorpion."

He glanced at Yue. "It is a mask which shows how little it takes... to wear a mask. How easy it is to slip behind the mask and hide from what we do. It is a reminder to me, and a warning to others... their masks are on, every day that they put on their courtly attire and makeup... just like mine is, whenever I get dressed."

He waved a hand.

"I explain it better when I have my wits... I admit I'm not at my best..."

Soshi Taira

Postby Shinjo Liu Yue on Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:41 pm

Yue smirked for her own behalf. Would people think I was trying to hide my scar then? Well, I could always pick one that still show it.

She swallowed. I hope Mizuki gets to keep her mask. She seems to want to keep it, even if she is so... no, not now.

The Shinjo shook her head at the end of the explanation. "You did well, Taira-dono. I understand it." She let out a small chuckle. "I was correct about Scorpions having unique reasons for their masks. One told me," she paused, finding the right Rokugani words, "He expressed a duality in people. The mask and the true self. His represented that concept."

She shook her head. She believed that he had no interest in listening to her prattle on about others. "Do you think I forgot that you are a Scorpion, Taira-dono?"

Shinjo Liu Yue

Postby Soshi Taira on Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:42 pm

"No... but I think perhaps it will take time for all that being Scorpion means to become clear to you."

It was unclear even to many who lived in the empire, after all.

"We are a secretive people, and we give up part of the truth easily, so the rest is never requested."

Soshi Taira

Postby Shinjo Liu Yue on Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:00 pm

"Sou desu ka. I think I understand what you meant about the truth." After all, she had not told him everything there was to know. But with his last reaction, she was certain that telling him that she had bedded another woman would not help at all. "Do the Scorpion hold secrets from those they trust?"

Shinjo Liu Yue

Postby Soshi Taira on Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:34 pm

"Only if we think it would benefit them not to know.."

He sighed, and then added, softly, "And if they do not ask... it depends. It truly does."

Rolling his shoulder, he added, "Not that I have a great deal of experience, having those I closely trust... I've never been... close... to anyone in particular before."

Soshi Taira

Postby Shinjo Liu Yue on Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:41 pm

Right. It would benefit you to not know about Mizuki. It'd benefit all of us.

Yue took a deep breath and then gave the Soshi as solemn smile. "I have my sister. I would like to add you to that list, Taira-dono."

Shinjo Liu Yue

PreviousNext

Return to Northern Yurts