Trade Summit (D4 LA, outside Ide Samai's yurt)

Re: Trade Summit (D4 LA, outside Ide Samai's yurt)

Postby Ide Samai on Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:01 am

She accepted the cup with a smile, lowering her fan as she did so.

"Mhm, arigatou Yasuki-san. I am sure we can work out something within our families and clans... later." She finished lamely. It was her subject, but she wanted to quash it before it took over the conversation like a raging cold-headed hydra of supply and demand!!!

"To potential... for all parties." She smiled as she raised the cup to her mouth to take a sip.
Unicorn Emissary * Gaijin Rose * Storyteller
Honor: What is expected * Status: 2.0 * Glory: 0.0 * Courtship: 2
Carries: Wakizashi, Fan, perfume (rose), coin purse
Ide Samai

Postby Yasuki Tomonaga on Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:09 am

"Certainly." Tomonaga said agreeably. "That is a significant part of why I'm here, after all. My family hopes to make a connection with the Unicorn. Also, why I asked Moto Baatar-san for a recommendation." He lifted the cup to his lips. Just before taking a sip, he paused. "I'm quite glad he gave me your name." He said.

And, with that, he too took a sip. As usual, while drinking he kept an eye on his drinking partner, gauging her reaction.
Crab Clan • Courtier/Brewer • Benten's Blessing • Hero of the People (Golden Carp sake brand) • Gullible
Status: 2 | Glory: 1.0 | Honor: Untrustworthy | Courtship points: 6
Carries: Sake bottle, sake cups
Description
Final Drinking Count: 22/38 threads
Yasuki Tomonaga

Postby Ide Samai on Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:29 am

While keeping an eye on Samai, Todonaga might have noticed Samai's cheeks redden while her eyes were unfocused, taking in the depth of taste held within the sake.

She did not notice him looking at her, as she slowly removed the cup from her lips. "Mhm... excellent, Yasuki-san. I am not an expert on sake, I feel I can still find the art in this craft." She took a deep breath. "Your family must be quite renowned Yasuki-san. I am honored by this brew."

She smiled at him, a genuine an sincere smile wide as the sun.

"As we are newcomers, we are happy to make friends with anyone who is willing." She giggled. "Speaking of Bataar, I will have to thank him for the recommendation. I am quite grateful that he offered my name to you."
Ide Samai

Postby Yasuki Tomonaga on Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:45 am

Tomonaga smiled, pleased indeed at her response. And at the care with which she seemed to be tasting it. "Thank you, Ide-san." He said, bowing again. "Even if you're not an expert on sake, you clearly have refined taste. Your appreciation of my family's sake means a great deal."

He couldn't help but respond to her smile, grinning back at her. "Well, good!" He said. "I think you'll find the Yasuki to be good friends indeed. And I certainly think that you're very charming. The Unicorn, I mean." He said teasingly.

He took another slow sip of his cup, letting it linger on his tongue a moment. "So, you said you're a junior in matters of trade?" He asked, his eyebrows going up, interested.
Crab Clan • Courtier/Brewer • Benten's Blessing • Hero of the People (Golden Carp sake brand) • Gullible
Description
Yasuki Tomonaga

Postby Ide Samai on Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:29 am

Yasuki Tomonaga wrote:Tomonaga smiled, pleased indeed at her response. And at the care with which she seemed to be tasting it. "Thank you, Ide-san." He said, bowing again. "Even if you're not an expert on sake, you clearly have refined taste. Your appreciation of my family's sake means a great deal."

He couldn't help but respond to her smile, grinning back at her. "Well, good!" He said. "I think you'll find the Yasuki to be good friends indeed. And I certainly think that you're very charming. The Unicorn, I mean." He said teasingly.

He took another slow sip of his cup, letting it linger on his tongue a moment. "So, you said you're a junior in matters of trade?" He asked, his eyebrows going up, interested.

"Well, I would not say so, I have not tried many varieties of sake. But then, such treasure deserves to be appereciated with detail, paying attention to every detail, not just its strength." She smiled and gave a small nod to him.

"Oh? Even the Moto Yasuki-san?" She seemed to enjoy teasing him, whiel shr quickly raised her fan to hide her blush. The topic of trade calmed her down somewhat, though the fan didn't disappear just yet.

"Well, more of a novice than a junior. It is not my primary area of expertise. All trained by my family are taught the basics of proper commerce, but my focus was more on diplomatic efforts than commercial ones. The Yasuki are merchant... patrons, if I hear right?" From what little she gleaned, it seemed that Rokugani weren't appreciate of matters of trade all that much.
Ide Samai

Postby Yasuki Tomonaga on Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:24 am

"Ah, the Moto." Tomonaga smiled as Samai's fan went up once more. There was something very charming about the gesture. "Well, I've only spoken with Moto Baatar-san. I suppose I've seen Moto Khulun-san..." Furiously kissing a Matsu was how he'd seen her. "But yes, even them. The Crab as a whole really don't mind a bit of roughness around the edges."

He listened as she spoke, his expression politely interested. "Yes, often." He answered her question. "Although my family, and many others, take a more direct role. And others focus more on diplomacy, as it sounds like you do, Ide-san." He inclined his head to her. "Our focus on mercantilism is because the needs of the Crab are great. The standing army, especially the forces necessary to defend the wall-" he gave her a sidelong glance, "-uses a great many resources. It's the duty of the Yasuki to procure them."

He smiled at her. "I imagine it must have been similar with the Ide, yeah? It must have been difficult to... have enough, when you're constantly on the go. Seems like that's a good gap for trade to fill in."
Description
Yasuki Tomonaga

Postby Ide Samai on Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:04 pm

"Ah, hai, the wall and the army, very important." Truth be told, she knew there was a wall (apparently a big one!) but the details were fuzzy. The Lion didn't go into detail, though Samai was trying not to show her lack of understanding.. it wouldn't be fitting for her partner, after all!

"Yes, although the Moto and Shinjo insist they can hunt anything the Unicorn need... well, let's say they didn't manage to hunt good steal and wool. That was the Ide." She smiled at the thought, a proud expression shining through.

"I am not a great expert on matters of trade unfortunately, Yasuki-san, so I apologize if I bore you with my ignorance in the deeper topics of such."
Ide Samai

Postby Yasuki Tomonaga on Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:15 pm

Tomonaga just nodded, politely allowing discussion of the Wall to pass without further comment. And failing to notice that Samai wasn't sure what it was.

He joke made him chuckle again. "Yes, exactly!" He said, smiling at her. "I think it's sometimes difficult to remember how much goes into keeping an army supplied enough to function, if you're not involved in it. And... such things are often not talked about, among other clans." He said, confirming her earlier suspicion.

Tomonaga shook his head. "Not at all, Ide-san. This conversation with you has been very enjoyable." He smiled at her, once again noting her closeness. "Ummm... well, why don't you tell me a little about diplomacy, then. I'd guess that's probably a big part of why you're here, at the miai?" He gestured around with one hand.
Description
Yasuki Tomonaga

Postby Ide Samai on Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:59 pm

Yasuki Tomonaga wrote:Tomonaga just nodded, politely allowing discussion of the Wall to pass without further comment. And failing to notice that Samai wasn't sure what it was.

He joke made him chuckle again. "Yes, exactly!" He said, smiling at her. "I think it's sometimes difficult to remember how much goes into keeping an army supplied enough to function, if you're not involved in it. And... such things are often not talked about, among other clans." He said, confirming her earlier suspicion.

Tomonaga shook his head. "Not at all, Ide-san. This conversation with you has been very enjoyable." He smiled at her, once again noting her closeness. "Ummm... well, why don't you tell me a little about diplomacy, then. I'd guess that's probably a big part of why you're here, at the miai?" He gestured around with one hand.

"It is a shame... while I do love delicate speech, certain situations require directness, regrettable it may be." She let out a small sigh at the thought of such sacrifices. She brightened in her reply." Arigatou Yasuki-san, I enjoy our conversation together as well. I am most happy that you visited me today."

She seemed pensive for a moment, lost in thought about her time as a diplomat. "Well... it is a delicate matter. While we can build on experience, we must also be sure to approach each situation with an open mind... while we might know that any given merchant house is known for appreciating opulence, that does not mean that all of its members do, for example. Besides that, we must also understand why are our conversation partners doing what they are doing, what it is that they want... similar to a merchant, but sometimes, even being polite and appreciative can go a long way."
Ide Samai

Postby Yasuki Tomonaga on Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:17 pm

"Both have their uses." Tomonaga nodded. "Speaking for myself... well, actually, speaking for my Clan... Crab tend to favor directness over delicate speech. Circumstances... sometimes mean that misunderstandings must be avoided at all costs. We Yasuki do have a little more leeway, though."

For a moment, Tomonaga blinked, his mouth opening and then closing again. "That is a very good point, Ide-san." He lifts his cup to her. "I think that we sometimes forget that not all Lion are the same, or all Crane are the same, and so on. Keeping an open mind... yeah, that seems like a really good idea."

"And I agree, there are some similarities in the skills. I guess that's why we Yasuki do both, and it sounds like the Ide as well. Knowing what a customer wants, and knowing what, uh, a potential ally wants, seems like they could be pretty similar. And being polite certainly matters in both cases." Tomonaga's brown eyes narrowed as he studied Samai, trying to put those very skills to use.

Yasuki technique! Commerce/perception, +1 FR, D4 LA: 5d10o10k3+5 37. Resisted with Etiquette/Awareness. If I win, PM me "some material object or service you desire". Mostly using this for learning more about Samai as a person, btw.
Description
Yasuki Tomonaga

Postby Ide Samai on Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:55 pm

Yasuki Tomonaga wrote:"Both have their uses." Tomonaga nodded. "Speaking for myself... well, actually, speaking for my Clan... Crab tend to favor directness over delicate speech. Circumstances... sometimes mean that misunderstandings must be avoided at all costs. We Yasuki do have a little more leeway, though."

For a moment, Tomonaga blinked, his mouth opening and then closing again. "That is a very good point, Ide-san." He lifts his cup to her. "I think that we sometimes forget that not all Lion are the same, or all Crane are the same, and so on. Keeping an open mind... yeah, that seems like a really good idea."

"And I agree, there are some similarities in the skills. I guess that's why we Yasuki do both, and it sounds like the Ide as well. Knowing what a customer wants, and knowing what, uh, a potential ally wants, seems like they could be pretty similar. And being polite certainly matters in both cases." Tomonaga's brown eyes narrowed as he studied Samai, trying to put those very skills to use.

Yasuki technique! Commerce/perception, +1 FR, D4 LA: 5d10o10k3+5 37. Resisted with Etiquette/Awareness. If I win, PM me "some material object or service you desire". Mostly using this for learning more about Samai as a person, btw.

"Hai, it seems that we are quite similar, our families." She beamed at the thought... Tobonaga was fun to talk to. "I am happy if I can provide some insights during our conversations." She titled her head to him. "What is it that you favor Yasuki-san? Directness, or.. discretion?" She giggled after asking, hiding the sound behind her fan.

"Hm... as a qualified merchant, would Yasuki-san know where could I get something? Like... a kimono of the latest fashions of the Empire?"
Ide Samai

Postby Yasuki Tomonaga on Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:12 pm

Once again, that giggle sent a little thrill through Tomonaga. "Well, Ide-san, I would have to say that while I certainly understand the need for discretion, and for being discreet-" He inclined his head to her, then, his brown eyes glinting appreciation. "When given the opportunity, I prefer to be direct."

"A fashionable kimono, eh?" Tomonaga eyes flickered up and down, noting her current garb. "Well, my family primarily deals in sake, and my gempukku was recent enough that I don't quite have the breadth of contacts that a lot of Yasuki do, but I could certainly give it a try." He tapped his chin thoughtfully with one finger. "Having one made for you may be best. Purple is not an often used color, although I suspect that's going to change." He met her eyes, smiling. "Or would you be interested in a different color? I think a lot of colors would look really great on you."
Description
Yasuki Tomonaga

Postby Ide Samai on Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:33 pm

Yasuki Tomonaga wrote:Once again, that giggle sent a little thrill through Tomonaga. "Well, Ide-san, I would have to say that while I certainly understand the need for discretion, and for being discreet-" He inclined his head to her, then, his brown eyes glinting appreciation. "When given the opportunity, I prefer to be direct."

"A fashionable kimono, eh?" Tomonaga eyes flickered up and down, noting her current garb. "Well, my family primarily deals in sake, and my gempukku was recent enough that I don't quite have the breadth of contacts that a lot of Yasuki do, but I could certainly give it a try." He tapped his chin thoughtfully with one finger. "Having one made for you may be best. Purple is not an often used color, although I suspect that's going to change." He met her eyes, smiling. "Or would you be interested in a different color? I think a lot of colors would look really great on you."

"Oh? Perhaps I should take care that I present you with such opportunities. I wouldn't want you to bemoan me as someone who does not allow you to be the Crab from your heart." She smiled at him, and then started slowly moving, her eyes scanning the horizon.

"Well, purple is a nice color... though I hear dark blue and grey can look good as well." Her eyes looked away, but still the sly wink could be seen. "I would appreciate it, or if you know a tailor I could talk to? I would be in your debt, Yasuki-san."
Ide Samai

Postby Yasuki Tomonaga on Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:22 pm

"I would appreciate that very much, Ide-san." Tomonaga said, his voice soft but intent, a smile still on his lips. Oh, my. And here he'd been thinking that Unicorn women didn't know how to flirt. I like her.

Tomonaga followed her gaze, his practiced eye catching the motion of her eyelid. He can't help but grin, impressed once again by Samai's playfulness. "I think you'd look beautiful in dark blue and grey." He said. Clearing his throat, he continued. "Let me see what I can do. In Crab lands, it would be an easy thing; I'd get you whatever kimono you desired by tomorrow. Here..." He spread one hand uncertainly.

He tilted his head thoughtfully. "Do you have other interests, Ide-san? Things besides your duties? Although I'll understand if there's overlap, of course. I mean, I consider myself to be a sake connoisseur, for example, which obviously relates to my duties."
Description
Yasuki Tomonaga

Postby Ide Samai on Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:34 am

Yasuki Tomonaga wrote:"I would appreciate that very much, Ide-san." Tomonaga said, his voice soft but intent, a smile still on his lips. Oh, my. And here he'd been thinking that Unicorn women didn't know how to flirt. I like her.

Tomonaga followed her gaze, his practiced eye catching the motion of her eyelid. He can't help but grin, impressed once again by Samai's playfulness. "I think you'd look beautiful in dark blue and grey." He said. Clearing his throat, he continued. "Let me see what I can do. In Crab lands, it would be an easy thing; I'd get you whatever kimono you desired by tomorrow. Here..." He spread one hand uncertainly.

He tilted his head thoughtfully. "Do you have other interests, Ide-san? Things besides your duties? Although I'll understand if there's overlap, of course. I mean, I consider myself to be a sake connoisseur, for example, which obviously relates to my duties."

"Oh, you think so Yasuki-san? It seems that I must not disappoint you now, lest I shame myself." Her voice had a musical tilt as she was teasing him.

She waved her fan at him. "I understand Yasuki-san, I appreciate the thought itself, no need to make work for yourself. I am sure the miai itself will keep you busy."

She closed the fan, holding the tip to her chin in thought. "Other interests... I am a fan of stories and books. They help us understand the culture of any region where we are, and here at home, I feel that we need to learn about the centuries we have missed... so I hope to find some good ones."

She looked at him sideways, a curious glance. "Sake? Why Yasuki-san, one would think you drink sake every morning with your rice. Anything else that interests you?"
Ide Samai

PreviousNext

Return to Northwestern Yurts