Lesson Number One (Day 4, Late Morning)

Re: Lesson Number One (Day 4, Late Morning)

Postby Moto Khulun on Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:55 am

“Isn’t that obvious though?” she replies confused.
Bushi | Tough | Barbaric | Wealthy | Kuge | Strange Name | Description
Status: 1.0 | Glory: 0.0 | Infamy: 0 | Honor: Untrustworthy | Theme | Courtship Points: 4
Possessions: Daisho, Sturdy Clothes (Furs and Leather), Riding Armor, Unicorn Horse, Red Steel Katana "Massacre", Nintoku's Fan
Moto Khulun

Postby Soshi Taira on Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:07 am

Taira glanced at the Moto. "You'd be surprised how many have died as they grappled with a suspect, only to be knifed in the back."

With a soft sigh, he shrugged. "It may seem obvious, but sometimes we have to drill in the most obvious of things. After all, a sword is just something you swing at people, but there is a great deal to note in the details."

Looking back to Liu Yue, he answered her question simply, "Some magistrates carry tonfa and other tools, but the simple truth is that if an arrest gets violent, we might bring the suspect in with broken arms. From that hold I showed you, there were three different ways I could have attacked your elbow, and another half dozen targeting your forward knee. The best of our magistrates can enter a room of men and have them all on the floor or begging surrender in under a minute. Speed, confidence, and strength all play a part. I trained with the Bayushi, so I've only studied the martial arts in a supporting role."

Shaking his head, he concluded, "A full student who is training to be a magistrate... well they are not gentle."
Scorpion Clan :: Good Cop :: Doctor :: Paragon :: Pragmatic :: Spirit-Touched :: Cursed
Honor: Untrustworthy Status: 1.0 Glory: 3.0 CP: 2
Carries: Daisho, medical satchel, black and red kimono, tall collar 'mask', ink-splotched fan
Now treating: Patient No.18

Description:: Theme:: Struggle
Soshi Taira

Postby Moto Khulun on Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:10 am

“If they resist remove their head and be done with it. No time for such silliness, kill them and put ‘em on a pike to warn the others and move on,” she says casually.
Status: 1.0 | Glory: 0.0 | Infamy: 0 | Honor: Untrustworthy | Theme | Courtship Points: 4
Possessions: Daisho, Sturdy Clothes (Furs and Leather), Riding Armor, Unicorn Horse, Red Steel Katana "Massacre", Nintoku's Fan
Moto Khulun

Postby Soshi Taira on Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:12 am

Taira sighed.

"I would not presume to tell the magistrates how to do their duty, but I can say with some confidence that executing the hired thugs would not allow us to discover who hired them."
Scorpion Clan :: Good Cop :: Doctor :: Paragon :: Pragmatic :: Spirit-Touched :: Cursed
Carries: Daisho, medical satchel, black and red kimono, tall collar 'mask', ink-splotched fan

Soshi Taira

Postby Moto Khulun on Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:16 am

“Why does that matter? Such things are not concern for Unicorn,” she says.
Moto Khulun

Postby Soshi Taira on Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:17 am

"But I am a Scorpion, Moto-san."

That seemed the simplest answer.

Soshi Taira

Postby Shinjo Liu Yue on Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:18 am

"Why did you train with the Bayushi instead of focusing on martial arts?" Yue asked in between the statements. She swallowed and looked between the Moto and the Soshi.
Unicorn - Bushi - Horrible Burns - Missing Left Arm - Damaged Eye - Rather Tall - Unfamiliar (Gaijin) Name - Dauntless
Status 1.0 - Glory 2.0 / Infamy 0.2 - Honour: Untrustworthy - Courtship: 5
Languages: Mekhem, Yobanjin

Typically Carries: Sturdy Clothing, Daisho, Fan, Small Hand Mirror, Finger of Jade, Coin Purse, Small Knife, Medicine Kit, Sake Cup

Riding Horse: Hikazume, Puppy: Gon
Shinjo Liu Yue

Postby Soshi Taira on Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:22 am

Taira glanced back at Liu Yue, and said, simply, "I wasn't a shugenja. I went to the Bayushi, and when I wasn't admitted to courtly training, I moved to the dojo. It was then that I developed my love of learning, and medicine. I only began to study jiujutsu in earnest after I was assigned to support the magistracy, to help keep my fellow yoriki safe."

He had told her this before, but perhaps not in such a precise way.

"My first calling was medicine. I learned this art after."

Soshi Taira

Postby Shinjo Liu Yue on Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:39 am

"Sou desu ka," she replied after his explanation. His situation was starting to become more clear to her. "I am impressed that you had time to learn so much and train in the art of war at the same time." She stretched out her back with a sheepish grin. "Would I be a fool to ask for a third try?"
Unicorn - Bushi - Horrible Burns - Missing Left Arm - Damaged Eye - Rather Tall - Unfamiliar (Gaijin) Name - Dauntless

Typically Carries: Sturdy Clothing, Daisho, Fan, Small Hand Mirror, Finger of Jade, Coin Purse, Small Knife, Medicine Kit, Sake Cup

Shinjo Liu Yue

Postby Soshi Taira on Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:50 am

"Only the sort of fool who actually learns. Practice, Liu Yue-hime, makes perfect."

Taking his stance again, Taira nodded, offering her the opening once again, to take the grip, and then try to keep him from wresting control from her.

When the time would come, his grip would be much stronger than before, his form near perfect.

It almost was as if the questions... the doubts... the statements of the Moto, had all spurred something from Taira, and Liu Yue would find him as stable as the mountain.

____

TN 41 http://orokos.com/roll/507528

Soshi Taira

Postby Shinjo Liu Yue on Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:05 am

Yue nodded and charged in once more. She too noticed his immobile form. She was a bit flabbergasted. "I need more practice," she said as she strained to even get him to move a muscle.

---

Initiate Grapple TN 5: 10 Success
Cannot Assume Control

Shinjo Liu Yue

Postby Soshi Taira on Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:20 am

"Hai, and it isn't your failing."

He took two steps, darting behind her, shifting his grip such that it passed under her armpit and then up to the back of her head. "From here, the battle is decided."

One leg swept her feet, and he stopped her fall just inches from the ground, before gently setting her down, absolutely pinned.

"From here, I could either bind the wrists, or if the fight was ongoing, strike the back of the head, or break the arm."

It was a side of him that he had, perhaps, never shown to her before. Businesslike, pragmatic.

Then he shifted off, and offered her a hand up, his voice softening.

"It may not be a glorious battlefield art, but I do not fight on glorious battlefields, Liu Yue-hime."

Soshi Taira

Postby Shinjo Liu Yue on Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:41 am

Yue kept her composure as she was sent to the ground. She looked at him, focused more on his tone than his words. Hm, he does have a warrior's spirit. She took his offer to help her up without hesitation and smiled at him. "It does not need to be a glorious occupation to be a worthwhile one, Taira-dono."

Shinjo Liu Yue

Postby Moto Khulun on Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:52 am

“So is that the lesson?” the Moto interjects.
Moto Khulun

Postby Soshi Taira on Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:12 am

Taira glanced at the Moto.

"Did you have something you wished to add?"

He had been planning to show Liu Yue some kata, and training tips, but it seemed Khulun had something to say.

Soshi Taira

PreviousNext

Return to Calm Heart Dojo