Lesson Number One (Day 4, Late Morning)

Re: Lesson Number One (Day 4, Late Morning)

Postby Usagi Tomoe on Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:49 pm

Tomoe watched the match too as Khulun turned her attention to it. It had been very ballsy of the one-armed to ask someone trained in the Soshi-style to not hold back, she thought, having seen Yuuru's skill with the style before, but she had some admiration for the woman not letting it hold her back at least.

"The Soshi-style is very strong," she commented with an approving nod of the Scorpion's victory.
Hare Clan • Sly Courtier • Sage • Soul of Tamamo-no-Mae • Herbalist • Fox-Child
ProfileMusic
Honor: Exceptional • Status: 1.0 • Glory: 1.0 • Courtship: 6!

Has: Wakizashi, pet tortoise (Ganko), fan, scroll or book, jade, stone, med-kit.
Usagi Tomoe

Postby Soshi Taira on Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:22 pm

Taira met her gaze, and there was no malice, or even amusement in her predicament. If anything, his gaze was kind, and his eyes searched hers for a brief moment, until he knew the lesson had sunk in. He eased the hold, pulling back and taking up his stance again.

"Now, I'd like you to remember what just happened, and tell me... how should you handle a trained grappler?"
Scorpion Clan :: Good Cop :: Doctor :: Paragon :: Pragmatic :: Spirit-Touched :: Cursed
Honor: Untrustworthy Status: 1.0 Glory: 3.0 CP: 2
Carries: Daisho, medical satchel, black and red kimono, tall collar 'mask', ink-splotched fan
Now treating: Patient No.18

Description:: Theme:: Struggle
Soshi Taira

Postby Moto Khulun on Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:24 pm

Soshi Taira wrote:Taira met her gaze, and there was no malice, or even amusement in her predicament. If anything, his gaze was kind, and his eyes searched hers for a brief moment, until he knew the lesson had sunk in. He eased the hold, pulling back and taking up his stance again.

"Now, I'd like you to remember what just happened, and tell me... how should you handle a trained grappler?"

She looks at Tomoe and says, “You trample them and get it over with, I say. But, I am sure he has something important to say.”
Bushi | Tough | Barbaric | Wealthy | Kuge | Strange Name | Description
Status: 1.0 | Glory: 0.0 | Infamy: 0 | Honor: Untrustworthy | Theme | Courtship Points: 4
Possessions: Daisho, Sturdy Clothes (Furs and Leather), Riding Armor, Unicorn Horse, Red Steel Katana "Massacre", Nintoku's Fan
Moto Khulun

Postby Shinjo Liu Yue on Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:11 pm

Soshi Taira wrote:Taira met her gaze, and there was no malice, or even amusement in her predicament. If anything, his gaze was kind, and his eyes searched hers for a brief moment, until he knew the lesson had sunk in. He eased the hold, pulling back and taking up his stance again.

"I need to use more than only my strength," she stated. She stretched out her arm. "I did not add yours to mine."

The younger Shinjo resettled her hair. "Let me try again."
Unicorn - Bushi - Horrible Burns - Missing Left Arm - Damaged Eye - Rather Tall - Unfamiliar (Gaijin) Name - Dauntless
Status 1.0 - Glory 2.0 / Infamy 0.2 - Honour: Untrustworthy - Courtship: 5
Languages: Mekhem, Yobanjin

Typically Carries: Sturdy Clothing, Daisho, Fan, Small Hand Mirror, Finger of Jade, Coin Purse, Small Knife, Medicine Kit, Sake Cup

Riding Horse: Hikazume, Puppy: Gon
Shinjo Liu Yue

Postby Soshi Taira on Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:20 pm

Taira tilted his head, contemplating that.

After a moment, he turned to look at Khulun, his face hidden from Liu Yue, stating "That is true, but it is the third solution. Perhaps with another try I may be able to demonstrate the first solution."

As he spoke, he looked directly at Khulun, and then slid his gaze to the bokken rack, somewhat pointedly.

Then turning back to Liu Yue, he settled into his stance, expression bland.

"Shall we?"

Initiative 14
Full Attack stance,
Armor TN : 5
Scorpion Clan :: Good Cop :: Doctor :: Paragon :: Pragmatic :: Spirit-Touched :: Cursed
Carries: Daisho, medical satchel, black and red kimono, tall collar 'mask', ink-splotched fan

Soshi Taira

Postby Shinjo Liu Yue on Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:29 pm

Yue watched her sparring partner. She was unsure how to interpret his words but she did not think on it more.

Instead, she rushed over to him and took a similar grip, her bicep flexed more than last time. "Do not hold back," she reminded him, her expression both amused and serious.

---

Initiative: 29
Grapple: 17

Stance: Attack
TN: 20
Unicorn - Bushi - Horrible Burns - Missing Left Arm - Damaged Eye - Rather Tall - Unfamiliar (Gaijin) Name - Dauntless

Typically Carries: Sturdy Clothing, Daisho, Fan, Small Hand Mirror, Finger of Jade, Coin Purse, Small Knife, Medicine Kit, Sake Cup

Shinjo Liu Yue

Postby Soshi Taira on Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:36 pm

"I wouldn't dream of it."

His grip this time was slightly sloppier, it was true, but perhaps he was distracted. Still, it was, in most respects, the same hold, and one which would make escape difficult, but not impossible.

________

TN 23 http://orokos.com/roll/507492
Initiative 14
Full Attack stance,
Armor TN : 5

Soshi Taira

Postby Moto Khulun on Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:43 pm

Soshi Taira wrote:Taira tilted his head, contemplating that.

After a moment, he turned to look at Khulun, his face hidden from Liu Yue, stating "That is true, but it is the third solution. Perhaps with another try I may be able to demonstrate the first solution."

As he spoke, he looked directly at Khulun, and then slid his gaze to the bokken rack, somewhat pointedly.

She crosses her arms over her chest and says, “I look forward to this.”
Status: 1.0 | Glory: 0.0 | Infamy: 0 | Honor: Untrustworthy | Theme | Courtship Points: 4
Possessions: Daisho, Sturdy Clothes (Furs and Leather), Riding Armor, Unicorn Horse, Red Steel Katana "Massacre", Nintoku's Fan
Moto Khulun

Postby Soshi Taira on Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:48 pm

Taira was noticing that the Moto wasn't moving... and realized he had probably chosen the wrong Unicorn to ask, even though he thought she'd be eager to hit him with a bokken.

Glancing pointedly at the bokken, he wondered if ANY of those gathered would get the hint.

Soshi Taira

Postby Shinjo Liu Yue on Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:51 pm

Yue nodded and twisted her body and tugged him along. However, during her motion her foot stumbled, allowing for any progress to be nullified. "You are good at this," she said as she strained to release herself.

---

Assuming Direct Control TN 23: 20 Failure

Shinjo Liu Yue

Postby Soshi Taira on Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:56 pm

"I am trained, I should certainly hope my sensei wouldn't let me go until I was, and my sempai, Ayano-Yoriki wouldn't allow me onto the streets if my skills would get me killed."

He smiled.

"You have some promise, I must say, give it some practice and you would have had me flying there."

With a faint chuckle, he added, "The question still remains... what could break this stalement for you?"

------------------

19 TN: Because I guess touching Liu Yue is sapping his concentration http://orokos.com/roll/507498

Soshi Taira

Postby Moto Khulun on Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:04 am

She looks to Tomoe and says, "I think he wants us to get the wood sword either that or he is flirting with us. What do you think?"
Moto Khulun

Postby Shinjo Liu Yue on Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:25 am

Yue was ready to throw him off until she started to overhear dear Khulun's words. Wait, we're rather close. Is this all just a game to get me close? Oh, oh goodness, hm...

Her cheeks were bright pink when she tried to wiggle free. "I," she trailed off, a bit too flustered to come up with any more words.

---

Taking Control TN 19: 12 Failure
(I get that VP back from Doji Fukawa later)

Shinjo Liu Yue

Postby Soshi Taira on Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:35 am

Sensing distress, Taira leaned back a little, and asked, very softly, "Are you all right? I'm not... making you uncomfortable?"

Glancing at Khulun, he sighed.

"Yes, I meant for you to hit me with the bokken, Moto-san." A slow breath, and he released the hold, stepping back. "The first, and best, defense against a grappler is simply to have a friend; while I hold you, you would have found I had no ability to defend myself from another attacker. This is why the Soshi magistrates train to incapacitate suspects if there are multiple enemies."

Rubbing at his neck, a little concerned that his lesson had gone off the rails, he added, "There is a second principle, which Khulun did voice... which is to avoid engaging a grappler in his preferred form of combat. Using your mace and steed, you could possibly crush them without ever being drawn into hand-to-hand, and thus... you could view the techniques I'm teaching you not as a first line of defense, but... a safeguard. A backup."

Soshi Taira

Postby Shinjo Liu Yue on Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:46 am

"H-hush."

Yue straightened herself out after they separated. "Sou desu ka," she said, after listening to his lesson. She looked to the rack of bokken and back to him. "Are the Soshi known for their magistrates? How do you incapacitate suspects if grappling is your normal choice?"

She rolled her shoulder blade. "Hai. As I said, Taira-dono, I want to be prepared for all situations. I do not expect to be grappled atop of Hikazume."

Shinjo Liu Yue

PreviousNext

Return to Calm Heart Dojo