(Day 4, EA) Back In The Saddle Again

Re: (Day 4, EA) Back In The Saddle Again

Postby Matsu Kogo on Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:38 pm

Shinjo Monkhbaatar wrote:"Good job," Monkhbaatar congratulates, honestly and with a wide smile. "All I'm doing is keeping her nearby with the rope. Everything else is you."

Kogo attempts to settle in, moving with the horse. " I am grateful for your teaching Shinjo-san. You are certainly an easier teacher than I usually have."
Lion Clan • Beastmaster • Gullible • Idealistic • Paragon: Courtesy
Honor: What is expected l Status: 1 l Glory: 1 l Courtship : 1

Carries: Wakizashi, sweets, traveling game of Go, jade

internal thoughts
Accompanied by Warcat Noburu at most times.
Matsu Kogo

Postby Shinjo Monkhbaatar on Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:57 am

"I'm happy that you seem to be enjoying the lessons. I certainly have been enjoying teaching and spending time with you," he replies while keeping Meushi moving in a circle. "You're looking fine up there. How are you feeling? Comfortable?"
Unicorn Clan • Bushi • Fortunate • Daring
Honor: Expected • Status: 1.0 • Glory: 0.0 • Courtship: 2

Equipment: Daisho, armor, yumi, sake cup, bottle of water, knife, Meushi
Shinjo Monkhbaatar

Postby Matsu Kogo on Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:33 am

Shinjo Monkhbaatar wrote:"I'm happy that you seem to be enjoying the lessons. I certainly have been enjoying teaching and spending time with you," he replies while keeping Meushi moving in a circle. "You're looking fine up there. How are you feeling? Comfortable?"

She nods. "Yes. Its starting to feel more natural."

internal thoughts
Matsu Kogo

Postby Shinjo Monkhbaatar on Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:19 am

"Good." He gives her a nod. "Alright, so to get a trot your going to want to remove slack from the reigns. Make sure they're not too tight that you pulling back on Meushi's head. After that you'll give a couple small squeezes with your legs to let her know you want to move a bit faster. Don't do so for too long though. Trot then walk then trot then walk. You can let her know to go back to a walk by pulling back slightly on the reigns and loosening your legs slightly. Be ready for a little bit of bounce."

Shinjo Monkhbaatar

Postby Matsu Kogo on Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:18 pm

Shinjo Monkhbaatar wrote:"Good." He gives her a nod. "Alright, so to get a trot your going to want to remove slack from the reigns. Make sure they're not too tight that you pulling back on Meushi's head. After that you'll give a couple small squeezes with your legs to let her know you want to move a bit faster. Don't do so for too long though. Trot then walk then trot then walk. You can let her know to go back to a walk by pulling back slightly on the reigns and loosening your legs slightly. Be ready for a little bit of bounce."

She nods. "All right." She follows his directions to the letter and notes the change in gait. She has some difficulty finding a way to sit without bouncing. "How does one sit for this pace? It seems like it would be uncomfortable for any length of time."

internal thoughts
Matsu Kogo

Postby Shinjo Monkhbaatar on Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:23 pm

"The trick is to move with it, not sit on it. Provide some light downward pressure with your ankles on the stirrup. Not enough to stand up, but just enough that some of the bounce is in your ankles. By distributing that pressure and moving up and down with the horse, timing the motion of your ankles, it will get much more comfortable over time," he explains. "And remember to keep your back straight."

He smiles at her practicing, keeping the rope with a bit of slack, so that Meushi doesn't try to wander off.

Shinjo Monkhbaatar

Postby Matsu Kogo on Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:25 pm

Shinjo Monkhbaatar wrote:"The trick is to move with it, not sit on it. Provide some light downward pressure with your ankles on the stirrup. Not enough to stand up, but just enough that some of the bounce is in your ankles. By distributing that pressure and moving up and down with the horse, timing the motion of your ankles, it will get much more comfortable over time," he explains. "And remember to keep your back straight."

He smiles at her practicing, keeping the rope with a bit of slack, so that Meushi doesn't try to wander off.

She attempts to follow his directions. At first, it seems somewhat impossible and strange. "I am glad no one else is here, because I suspect I look quite foolish right now."

internal thoughts
Matsu Kogo

Postby Shinjo Monkhbaatar on Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:36 pm

"You look like someone learning to ride. It's not foolish looking at all," he replies. "Try to do less bouncing with your knees, and more with your ankles. Like you are standing on your toes. And feel the beat of the trot. It's quick." He starts snapping in time with Meushi's steps, which also lines up with the bounce.

Shinjo Monkhbaatar

Postby Matsu Kogo on Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:50 pm

Shinjo Monkhbaatar wrote:"You look like someone learning to ride. It's not foolish looking at all," he replies. "Try to do less bouncing with your knees, and more with your ankles. Like you are standing on your toes. And feel the beat of the trot. It's quick." He starts snapping in time with Meushi's steps, which also lines up with the bounce.

She listens to his snapping. It reminds her of beats as they practiced through defense moves. Her body begins to move with the timing. Suddenly, it seems to make a bit more sense. "Ahhh that is helpful Shinjo-san. Thank you."

internal thoughts
Matsu Kogo

Postby Shinjo Monkhbaatar on Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:06 pm

"Of course. Now try to slow her to a walk, just to get a feel for the actions you need to do to control the pace. Ease back gently on the reigns, walk for a bit, then pick up the trot again." He's got a bright smile, enjoying the lesson. Possibly as much as Kogo was.

Shinjo Monkhbaatar

Postby Matsu Kogo on Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:21 pm

Shinjo Monkhbaatar wrote:"Of course. Now try to slow her to a walk, just to get a feel for the actions you need to do to control the pace. Ease back gently on the reigns, walk for a bit, then pick up the trot again." He's got a bright smile, enjoying the lesson. Possibly as much as Kogo was.

She follows his directions and feels Mueshi slow. "You and Meushi are excellent teachers." She eases back into the walk, changing back to the previous posture. "How old were you when you started learning?" She asks as they walk for a brief time.

internal thoughts
Matsu Kogo

Postby Shinjo Monkhbaatar on Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:34 pm

"I can't remember," he replies. "Literally. My mother used to set me on her horse and have me play with the reigns while she held me in place and guided it. I remember always being encouraged to ride."

Shinjo Monkhbaatar

Postby Matsu Kogo on Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:44 pm

Shinjo Monkhbaatar wrote:"I can't remember," he replies. "Literally. My mother used to set me on her horse and have me play with the reigns while she held me in place and guided it. I remember always being encouraged to ride."

She smiles. "That sounds like a pleasant memory." She pauses for a moment. "I think I will try trotting again."

internal thoughts
Matsu Kogo

Postby Shinjo Monkhbaatar on Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:00 pm

"Feel free, I'll keep track of time so you don't overdo it and watch your form. You just switch between trot and walk to get used to the transition and practice posture at both speeds," he replies.

"And I've got a lot of nice memories like that. I get along well with my mother." He smiles at the thought of her.

Shinjo Monkhbaatar

Postby Matsu Kogo on Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:03 pm

Shinjo Monkhbaatar wrote:"Feel free, I'll keep track of time so you don't overdo it and watch your form. You just switch between trot and walk to get used to the transition and practice posture at both speeds," he replies.

"And I've got a lot of nice memories like that. I get along well with my mother." He smiles at the thought of her.

She smiles. "Is she a kind person, like you? Or is she very serious?" She taps Meushi's sides and puts her into a trot, shifting back into the peculiar stance. It is still strange, but easier. "I must admit, I cannot wait til I can go even faster. I had the thought the other day that it must feel like being one with the wind itself."

internal thoughts
Matsu Kogo

PreviousNext

Return to Horsemanship Field