Rotten Eggs or Tea? (D4, EA, Fukawa's Yurt)

Re: Rotten Eggs or Tea? (D4, EA, Fukawa's Yurt)

Postby Shinjo Liu Yue on Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:20 pm

"Hai. It was refreshing, Fukawa-dono." Yue gobbled down on the light snacks almost immediately with a smile on her face. "This is good!"

After a few more bites she swallowed and smiled weakly. "Did I do my part well, Fukawa-dono?"
Unicorn - Bushi - Horrible Burns - Missing Left Arm - Damaged Eye - Rather Tall - Unfamiliar (Gaijin) Name - Dauntless
Status 1.0 - Glory 2.0 / Infamy 0.2 - Honour: Untrustworthy - Courtship: 5
Languages: Mekhem, Yobanjin

Typically Carries: Sturdy Clothing, Daisho, Fan, Small Hand Mirror, Finger of Jade, Coin Purse, Small Knife, Medicine Kit, Sake Cup

Riding Horse: Hikazume, Puppy: Gon
Shinjo Liu Yue

Postby Doji Fukawa on Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:33 am

Fukawa considered her teacup.

"That is a difficult question for me, Shinjo-san." she returns. "Do you want the answer I should give as a good host, or do you want the answer that seeks to help you integrate into the Empire's culture better? Normally, I would only give the former, but given the Unicorn's special circumstances, I feel that I should offer the latter."
Crane Clane * Courtier * Pretty *Perfumed *Prized *Petite* Perfect Pitch

Glory: 1.0 Honor: Exceptional Status: 1.0 CP: 13

Carrying: Extravagant clothing, jewelry, money, (Day 6) Violet Fan with Horses Charging Forward (Day 8) Accompanied by Dog, Takahiro

Theme Song
Doji Fukawa

Postby Shinjo Liu Yue on Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:37 am

Yue perked her brow. "I prefer honesty, Fukawa-dono." She let out a small giggle. "That is not what I will always receive, though." She gave the Doji a slight bow. "I will not be offended by your teachings."
Unicorn - Bushi - Horrible Burns - Missing Left Arm - Damaged Eye - Rather Tall - Unfamiliar (Gaijin) Name - Dauntless

Typically Carries: Sturdy Clothing, Daisho, Fan, Small Hand Mirror, Finger of Jade, Coin Purse, Small Knife, Medicine Kit, Sake Cup

Shinjo Liu Yue

Postby Doji Fukawa on Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:43 am

The Doji bowed in return.

"As far as sitting quietly, and doing your part of the tea ceremony, you were fine." she relates. "The thing that is standing out as most incorrect is how you are using my name. Traditionally, you address someone by their family's name, unless you are on a well-known friendly basis with them, generally because they give you permission to do so. It's also the wrong honorific you are attaching. -Dono is for people much greater in status than yourself, family daimyos, clan champions and the like. -San would be most correct, and -sama would be fine if you wanted to be extra-deferential. But when you use one that is clearly too high like that....well, if you were a more experienced courtier, it would sound as if you were mocking me for being pompous."

Carrying: Extravagant clothing, jewelry, money, (Day 6) Violet Fan with Horses Charging Forward (Day 8) Accompanied by Dog, Takahiro

Theme Song
Doji Fukawa

Postby Shinjo Liu Yue on Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:49 am

"Sou desu ka," she said at the end of Fukawa's speech. She began to scratch the back of her head but then set her hand back onto her lap. "I have been corrected on that before, Fu-Doji-san. It is a habit of mine and I never meant it as an offense." She looked at the Crane rather sheepishly. "I mean it out of utmost respect for whom I meet."

She lowered her eyes. "I am not sure if I should correct myself. I am known for it. If I greet someone another way, I may appear to be less respectful than I wish." She let out a sigh. "However, I was told that people would assume that I was corrected on the behavior."

A soft smile spread across her lips. "I do not believe I have been doing anyone harm. That is why I have been slow to correct it, Doji-san."

Shinjo Liu Yue

Postby Doji Fukawa on Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:00 am

Fukawa nods.

"Ah, I understand Shinjo-san." she offers, politely. "I did not take offense from it, but it is rather jarring, considering how many times you say someone's name in a conversation. If you cared for my advice on the matter, I would correct it. There are hundreds of years of etiquette that if someone is being nit-picky about can fault you for. But names are a pretty basic error, and it looks worse for going uncorrected."

Fukawa sips her tea.

"The problem I have talking to the Unicorn, is I tend to talk to them as I would any other samurai. So I am very cautious in my speech, and prone to using stories to highlight my points, rather than saying directly that something is bothering me. If you find me getting too....flowery in my speech, Shinjo-san, feel free to ask me to be direct in the matter, and I shall try to do so." she says.

Theme Song
Doji Fukawa

Postby Shinjo Liu Yue on Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:11 am

The Shinjo shifted in her seat to get rid of some fidgety urges. "How do I correct it?" She let out a soft sigh, unsatisfied with her Rokugani. "I believe many samurai have gotten used to it. Do I start calling them 'Soshi-san' or 'Asako-san' without comment?" She cupped her chin. "Do I correct it with those who have vocalized acceptance my usage of the honorific?"

As if on cue, Yue also took a sip from her tea.

"I will do so, Doji-san." She gave a small laugh. "My Clan is known for directness, ne?"

Shinjo Liu Yue

Postby Doji Fukawa on Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:19 am

Fukawa sipped her tea, considering the question.

"I think it would depend on your impression of those people. Some would accept the change as you successfully adapting to the Empire's traditions, and some might be bothered because they've accepted the name you've given them. It's really your judgement call, Shinjo-san, I just offer advice, to be taken or ignored as you wish." she responded cordially.

Theme Song
Doji Fukawa

Postby Shinjo Liu Yue on Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:26 am

That's not helpful at all!

Liu Yue closed her eyes and nodded. "Sou desu ka. I will heed your advice and work on the matter, Doji-san." She then went back to smiling, genuinely. "Do you have any other pieces of advice?"

Shinjo Liu Yue

Postby Doji Fukawa on Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:29 am

Fukawa sipped her tea.

"I've noticed that the Unicorn are very...open about their emotions. I do not bring this up as something you can correct, just that it is different from normal, and for you to be ready for it to be treated as such." she offers.

Theme Song
Doji Fukawa

Postby Shinjo Liu Yue on Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:35 am

The Shinjo nodded. "Hai. My Family is known for its Honesty and Compassion." Her smile turned to a frown. "I wish the openness was common place, Doji-san. The Scorpion with their masks remind me that it is not so."

Shinjo Liu Yue

Postby Doji Fukawa on Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:43 am

Fukawa nods.

"Hai, but it is not the two tenents of bushido." Fukawa offers. "Courtesy is also an important element of our Empire. Even if this means you cannot simply denounce every Scorpion you meet with an accusation of being a liar....even if you'd probably be right."

Theme Song
Doji Fukawa

Postby Shinjo Liu Yue on Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:47 am

"That is not true," she said. She caught herself and sipped some of her tea. "Gomennasai. I have met Scorpion who can be honest, Doji-san." She lifted her cup again, pretending it still had some left inside, and kept it at her lips.

Shinjo Liu Yue

Postby Doji Fukawa on Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:52 am

Fukawa nods, refilling her cup and offering some to her guest.

"See, courtesy is important. I put only the slightest effort into it with a probably, and because I did not know of your relationship with a Scorpion, I've unknowingly offended you." she replies. "A samurai owns all of their words."

She bows to the Shinjo.

"I am sorry for offending you, Shinjo-san." she offers apologetically.

Theme Song
Doji Fukawa

Postby Shinjo Liu Yue on Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:59 am

"Arigatou gozaimasu," Yue stated after receiving a refill of tea.

"Sou desu ka." She felt a bit flushed when the Crane bowed to her. "That is not necessary, Doji-san. I am not angry about what you said about the Scorpion." Her finger traced the rim of the cup. "I wanted to be honest."

She smiled afterward. "However, I see what you mean when you say Courtesy is important, Doji-san."

Shinjo Liu Yue

PreviousNext

Return to Northern Yurts