[D4 LA] Once upon a time, pony met a bunny

Re: [D4 LA] Once upon a time, pony met a bunny

Postby Iuchi Dong-Ha on Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:33 pm

"it's ok... " he muttered, trying to swallow his shame. She was so kind.. and knew so much.

Having managed to regain his composure and having taken a bit from his yokan to sooth his nerves, Dong-Ha raised his eyes to take a look at Tomoe. "So... which story Usagi-san was going to share?" flustered as he might have been, the curiosity had never died.
Unicorn Clan • Mystic
Honor: Expected • Status: 1.0 • Infamy: 0.3 • Courtship: 2

"Power is what you think it is."
Languages: Mekhem
Carries: Wakizashi, assorted shamanistic trinkets and baubles, woolen robes, knife
Gaijin riding horse: Poppy
Iuchi Dong-Ha

Postby Usagi Tomoe on Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:40 pm

"Mhm, the story of how the Fox Clan came to be. You've heard that they were once the Ki-Rin who remained in the Empire, yes?" she asked to freshen her own memory of the previous evening while reaching for the two cups and the bamboo bottle.

Removing the stopper, she poured the sweet barley tea into a cup and offered it to Dong-Ha. "It's chilled barley tea. Not really anything fancy, but it's popular on summer days since it is sweet and not warm. I hope you like it. I thought it would be easier to bring that... than to bring a full tea set out here..."
Hare Clan • Sly Courtier • Sage • Soul of Tamamo-no-Mae • Herbalist • Fox-Child
ProfileMusic
Honor: Exceptional • Status: 1.0 • Glory: 1.0 • Courtship: 6!

Has: Wakizashi, pet tortoise (Ganko), fan, scroll or book, jade, stone, med-kit.
Usagi Tomoe

Postby Iuchi Dong-Ha on Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:47 pm

"Yes, I think that someone mentioned that when we were making our way back." he nodded. "Well, that those Ki-Rin that remained are now Fox. I don't think anyone offered any explanations... " For whatever reason..

"Thank you." Dong-Ha murmured as she filled the cups, reaching for the one she offered, his calloused fingers brushing softly against hers. "Yes..." The poor Unicorn didn't actually even know what a full tea set entailed besides a pot and cups. "I had flint and tinder with me, just in case but..." he took a sip of the tea. "..this is good too." It did taste a little bit strange, but the flavor was by no means bad.
Unicorn Clan • Mystic

Carries: Wakizashi, assorted shamanistic trinkets and baubles, woolen robes, knife
Iuchi Dong-Ha

Postby Usagi Tomoe on Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:06 pm

His touch made her smile a little, but it was not unwelcome. Strange to think that she met him only yesterday, and he was so far the only Unicorn to really now make the effort to spend time with her in a more romantic fashion. He is cute when he blushes though...

The Hare nodded. "It is a... bit of a complicated story. Not in the details, but because it will cast some in a bad light for actions long past."

She poured some of the tea for herself. "While the Mantis Clan is technically the oldest minor clan, the Fox are the first official minor clan recogized by the Emperor."

"When Shinjo took the Ki-Rin Clan to explore for threats beyond the borders of the Empire there were a small number of the clan that chose to remain within the Empire, to tend to the lands of Lady Shinjo and prepare for the day she would return with her people. Shinjo bargained with her brother the Emperor that they would have records of all things which she would miss in her time away, and be prepared for her return. Since that day, the Fox libraries have filled with recorded conversations, thoughts, and celebrations directed at Shinjo, in the hopes that one day she would return." Tomoe gave a clever smile. "I've seen the library, as my mother worked in it when I was young... it is quite impressive."

"Forty years after the Ki-Rin's Exodus, many last remaining Ki-Rin sought refuge in the lands of their nearest neighbours, the Lion Clan. There were uncivilized gaijin who were harassing their lands, and with their numbers so reduced after Lady Shinjo left, they were struggling to defend themselves. Many of the fleeing Ki-Rin aided the Lion as huntsmen and scouts, hoping to earn some goodwill from their neighbours to assist them. Not long after, they petitioned the Emperor for assistance to combat the threat plaguing their lightly populated lands. The Shining Prince, Hantei Genji, ordered the Lion Clan to assist them."

"And the Lion performed their duty with the military precision expected from the followers of Lord Akodo. They removed the threat posed by the barbaric tribes of northmen. The Ki-Rin were overjoyed to hear that their homes were safe once more and gathered together to return home... but the Matsu of the Lion Clan claimed the lands of the Ki-Rin for their own, stating that the Ki-Rin had been unable to defend the lands and they instead would be its rightful stewards."

"What remained of the Ki-Rin's fighting forces resisted this and met the Lion's assembled army, who crushed the smaller opponent. From that day onward, it created an enmity between the two clans that would not easily be forgotten."

"Hantei Genji knew his father had promised to see to the welfare of these people, a promise he intended to uphold too. Not wanting a civil war so soon in the Empire when it hadn't even seen a hundred years yet, Hantei Genji made two announcements; that the remnants of the Ki-Rin would become the Fox Clan - the first minor clan recognized by the Emperor - and that no Great Clan could declare war against a Minor Clan. He granted the Fox the lands surrounding the Kitsune Mori, named so for the many fox spirits said to live there, which was also closer to the Imperial City than the Ki-Rin lands had been, so he could keep what remained of Shinjo's clan close for safety. They also earned the Ki-Rin's place at the Imperial Court, being the only Minor Clan with standing invitations to the Imperial Court."

While she was not a storyteller like the Unicorns, it was obvious that the Hare possessed a great depth of knowledge on history.
ProfileMusic

Has: Wakizashi, pet tortoise (Ganko), fan, scroll or book, jade, stone, med-kit.
Usagi Tomoe

Postby Iuchi Dong-Ha on Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:04 am

Dong-Ha listened, enraptured by the fate of Shinjo's children. "Such villainy..." he hissed when she revealed the Lion's true intentions. "Where is the honor in that..." Dismayed, the young man shook his head. "Blessed be the Emperor in his wisdom..." he added when she told of Hantei Genji's intervention.

"I wonder if we are ever invited to the library..." the young man sounded wistful. "I would really like to see it, one day." Not that he would have the time to go trough it.

"Thank you for the story, Usagi-san..." Dong-Ha was beaming. "Or I guess it wasn't a story..." Now he felt stupid again. Some girls had had that effect for him for the past few years. What might have been the reason. To hide his momentarily embarrassment, Dong-Ha took a bite of his yokan, savoring the earthen sweet taste in his mouth.

"So... what became of the Fox-clan? Have they kept the Shinjo's ways?" His dark eyes lingered on Tomoe as he hungered for more information. She had mentioned having been part of the Fox once, and while he was curious about what had had her change her liege, he wasn't going to voice his question. Yet.
Unicorn Clan • Mystic

Iuchi Dong-Ha

Postby Usagi Tomoe on Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:18 am

"I can't speak for the Fox, but I wouldn't be surprised if your clan will be invited to see it eventually," she said in a kind tone and sipped her mugicha.

"Yeah... I know it's not much of a story," she blushed as well, "I don't have the Marta's knack for telling the stories."

Tomoe smoothed out a lock of her long glossy hair. "The new lands they moved to was very different from their original lands, so the Fox had to change in their ways over time to adapt. Many would say they are still true to the original philosophies of Lady Shinjo; compassion, kindness, appriciation of all creatures in the world."

"As they learned to adapt in their new lands, they had little arable land at their disposal and they learned to hunt for food... something that is considered unclean by the other clans. Hunting for sport is an acceptable past-time for many bushi though," she added in as an explanation, even if she figured it probably sounded weird for a Unicorn. "But one of the reasons the Fox survived their hardships was because of the kitsune-spirits that dwell in the Kitsune Mori, who observed these humans for a while to see judge their character, and eventually stepped forward to help them. Some of the fox-spirits took on human forms and inter-mingled with the humans of the clan, it is said, and today many of those with the blood of the kitsune share a close connection to animals and the spirits of the forest."

"Due to this, the fox-spirits are revered in the clan, and the Fox Clan have a strong relationship to nature that is unrivaled by any clan."
ProfileMusic

Usagi Tomoe

Postby Iuchi Dong-Ha on Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:39 am

"Unclean, why? Who came up with that..." he asked, sounding somewhat baffled. "Food's just food unless it's spoiled..." Beggars could not be choosers and nomads fared only little better than paupers.

"Hee, so it's bit like with Shinjo-kami and Ki-Rin. How fitting." Dong-Ha seemed pleasantly surprised. "These spirits of the forest are unique to the Fox lands or... are they everywhere?"

"And what Usagi-san means with close connection?" He tried to imagine samurai riding elks and milking deers. The young mystic was literally full of questions.

"I hope I am not boring you, only having you explain things." Dong-Ha noted bashfully.
Unicorn Clan • Mystic

Iuchi Dong-Ha

Postby Usagi Tomoe on Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:01 am

"I don't mind," she assured him with a smile. "I enjoy talking about these sort of things."

Tomoe helped herself to another piece of yokan.

"Hm, it is said to be unclean because the flesh of the animals are too much like our own... fish, other sea creatures and poultry are considered acceptable to most clans, but minor ones and the Crab are less picky on such..." those clans had resource issues one way or another.

"It is said they can be in other parts of the Empire too, but the Kitsune Mori seems to be close to the spirit realms where the Fox spirits come from... those with the blood of kitsune often are said to be beautiful and wise, with a supernatural understanding with animals."
ProfileMusic

Usagi Tomoe

Postby Iuchi Dong-Ha on Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:11 am

"Oh good." the young man seemed and felt relieved. He didn't want to be seen boring.

How about rabbits? Dong-Ha wondered as Tomoe listed the taboo animals yet kept his mouth shut for once. "I see... so what is acceptable and what... is not the depends on where you are. That's bit like the word outside." the young mystic pointed his arm towards the north. "Every city, every tribe have their own customs and traditions. Their own taboos and laws. What is acceptable in one place.. is sacrilege somewhere else." As contradictory as her words seemed, he had no issue of understanding why things could end up that way.

"So, bit like Usagi-san then." he smirked, smiling softly. "Well... I don't know if you have supernatural understanding with animals, but at least Poppy seemed to like you."
Unicorn Clan • Mystic

Iuchi Dong-Ha

Postby Usagi Tomoe on Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:00 am

The Hare blushed in response at his words. Sure, her father had said that they had an ancestor who married a foxwife, but the only man who had called her pretty to her face was Yuuru.

"... thank you..." she murmured shyly.

"Uhm... yes, what is acceptable tends to shift depending on situations for each clan. The Crab are in a constant state of war so their need of resources are quite high, while the Minor Clans have less land for farming and fewer resources." Talking about simple topics allowed her to recover from the blushing.
ProfileMusic

Usagi Tomoe

Postby Iuchi Dong-Ha on Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:28 am

"I meant it." the young mystic affirmed, somewhat relieved that Tomoe too, seemed a little shy. Better than that all too straightforward bastard of a Yogo he had met earlier in the morning. "I see... all the any other customs that I should know of? That depend on the clan, rather than the law of the land. I know the the children of Bayushi-kami wear masks to remind them of his lessons..."

"Oh and if you want to ask anything, feel free to do so." he offered, gulping down what remained of the yokan in his hands before reaching for his cup.
Unicorn Clan • Mystic

Iuchi Dong-Ha

Postby Usagi Tomoe on Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:47 am

"Hmmm..." she put her fingers to her lips. "Well, shaking hands is not done in the Empire, but it seems most of you have been told of this. Blood and touching the dead, animals and people, is considered impure..."

She refilled her own cup and offered more to him.

"... what sort of stories were you told about the Empire?"
ProfileMusic

Usagi Tomoe

Postby Iuchi Dong-Ha on Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:02 am

"Eh... what's all this fuss with blood? We all bleed when poked hard enough, you and me." Dong-Ha huffed. "I mean, it's not like I won't wash my hands after slaughtering an animal but... it's just blood, right? Same with dead animals... and people." his gaze dropped for a moment as he recalled all the funerals he had taken part to.

"Many. Tournament of the Kami, the War against Fu-Leng... the Arrival of the Kami..." he wasn't listing things in a perfect chronological order, mentioning a legend as he recalled them. "How Shiba-kami bent knee to a mortal man. Kakita-dono and his love for Doji-kami... " Dong-Ha paused for a moment. "Though I am not sure if our versions are the same as yours."
Unicorn Clan • Mystic

Iuchi Dong-Ha

Postby Usagi Tomoe on Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:19 am

"Blood is... power. As you might remember, Isawa and his tribe used blood for magic in the early days. However, this changed after the Day of Thunder, as the once pure magic became corrupted by evil spirits - kansen. This change made the use of blood magic forbidden by Imperial law, and by association people avoid the touching of the dead and blood. After battle, warriors are purified from the blood spilled."

It was a slightly unpleasant topic, but she understood how important it was to inform the Unicorn of this.
ProfileMusic

Usagi Tomoe

Postby Iuchi Dong-Ha on Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:41 am

"Ah, Isawa-san mentioned something like that." he nodded briefly. "That's... going to make some things hard." Like the fact that some of the Unicorn ate their meat raw. Well, namely some of the Moto ate some of their meat raw. "Though I will keep it mind, thank you." Dong-Ha raised the tea cup into a grateful half-salute. "And I will pass the word to my kinsmen... just in case." Unicorn could use avoiding misunderstandings. "I guess I should ask a shugenja about such rites..." He actually had someone in mind.
Unicorn Clan • Mystic

Iuchi Dong-Ha

PreviousNext

Return to The Western Fields