[Day 3 - Early Morning] Brand New Day

[Day 3 - Early Morning] Brand New Day

Postby Bayushi Hotaru on Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:53 pm

As the morning dawned on the land, Hotaru could be found at the shrine steps and aiding the local monks in spiritually sweeping the shine to purify the grounds, bringing only good spirits in the literal sense. She was dressed in rather traditional miko garb, red hakama with a white hoari over her robes to complete the ensemble. Her hair was pulled up into a simple maiden's ponytail, which helped with all of the running around she did the morning.

Once she was finished, she sighed contently and waited to see who she would see to first this morning. It was a wonderous day and promised renewal. Despite being away from home, it was only fitting that the day was filled with celebration, renewal and peace.

They did celebrate the Setsuban festival around here, right?
Scorpion Clan • Shrine Maiden • Diviner • Dangerously Cute • Slightly Short
Status: 1.0 • Glory: 1.0 • Honour: Untrustworthy • Courtship Points: 9

Description, Artist Details in Description
Personal Effects: Wakizashi (where appropriate), scroll satchel, fan, jade charm, mask, fortune sticks, kawaru coins

Mamoru, Protector of Shrines
Bayushi Hotaru

Re: [Day 3 - Early Morning] Brand New Day

Postby Ide Samai on Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:47 pm

Samai arrived at the shrine, bowing to the Scorpion monastery.

"Good morning Scorpion-san. Ide Samai. Have you had rice today?"
Unicorn Emissary * Gaijin Rose * Storyteller
Honor: What is expected * Status: 2.0 * Glory: 0.0 * Courtship: 2
Carries: Wakizashi, Fan, perfume (rose), coin purse
Ide Samai

Postby Bayushi Hotaru on Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:55 pm

Hotaru was sure to present her most welcoming and brightest smile to the Unicorn who arrived at the shrine, bowing deeply to greet her. "Ohyaou gozaimasu, Ide-sama! I've had rice today, thank you. Welcome to the shrine and I hope you've had a pleasant day! This one is Bayushi Hotaru, honoured shrine maiden of the shining retreat, in Tengoku's Path. Have you come to celebrate the Setsuban and welcome a new season?"

Personal Effects: Wakizashi (where appropriate), scroll satchel, fan, jade charm, mask, fortune sticks, kawaru coins

Bayushi Hotaru

Postby Ide Samai on Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:03 pm

Bayushi Hotaru wrote:Hotaru was sure to present her most welcoming and brightest smile to the Unicorn who arrived at the shrine, bowing deeply to greet her. "Ohyaou gozaimasu, Ide-sama! I've had rice today, thank you. Welcome to the shrine and I hope you've had a pleasant day! This one is Bayushi Hotaru, honoured shrine maiden of the shining retreat, in Tengoku's Path. Have you come to celebrate the Setsuban and welcome a new season?"

Samai smiled back in a similarly bright fashion. "I am honored to meet you Bayushi-san. Today is Setsuban then?" She asked unsure... seasons were a here and there things during their journeys.

"How do you celebrate usually?"
Ide Samai

Postby Bayushi Hotaru on Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:44 pm

According to the Rokugani calendar, it was indeed the Setsuban Festival. A part of her thought the festival itself was held a bit late, considering that summer was already under way and spring was almost in the past. However, she didn't make the holiday, only uphold it.

Hotaru bobbed her head eagerly. "Hai! Today is the Setsuban Festival! It should be, at least! It's typically celebrated by doing a number of things to cast out the old and bad luck, while doing what we can to invite a good luck for the new season. How to celebrate it varies depending on the Clan but I'm learned in a good number of them! You can ask me anything! What most do is come to the temple or shrine to pray for purity and good fortune," she said with a gesture to the shrine they found themselves on.

"Soybeans are a stable in the holiday too, as they invite good luck. You can celebrate by eating roasted soybeans as if to ingest luck. Alternatively, you can throw them at the front steps of your home, warding against the spirits of bad fortune that might intrude in your good home!"

"Also!" She pointed out with a raised finger. "Today is an especially lucky day, so be sure to donate your money to the local shrine for good luck, consider also buying charms and other commemorative items for the festival. If you keep them in your home, tying them to you door way, you might just keep that luck for the whole year! Also, eat a lot of sweets, as it is a joyous festival for a reason!"

Bayushi Hotaru

Postby Ide Samai on Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:18 pm

Bayushi Hotaru wrote:According to the Rokugani calendar, it was indeed the Setsuban Festival. A part of her thought the festival itself was held a bit late, considering that summer was already under way and spring was almost in the past. However, she didn't make the holiday, only uphold it.

Hotaru bobbed her head eagerly. "Hai! Today is the Setsuban Festival! It should be, at least! It's typically celebrated by doing a number of things to cast out the old and bad luck, while doing what we can to invite a good luck for the new season. How to celebrate it varies depending on the Clan but I'm learned in a good number of them! You can ask me anything! What most do is come to the temple or shrine to pray for purity and good fortune," she said with a gesture to the shrine they found themselves on.

"Soybeans are a stable in the holiday too, as they invite good luck. You can celebrate by eating roasted soybeans as if to ingest luck. Alternatively, you can throw them at the front steps of your home, warding against the spirits of bad fortune that might intrude in your good home!"

"Also!" She pointed out with a raised finger. "Today is an especially lucky day, so be sure to donate your money to the local shrine for good luck, consider also buying charms and other commemorative items for the festival. If you keep them in your home, tying them to you door way, you might just keep that luck for the whole year! Also, eat a lot of sweets, as it is a joyous festival for a reason!"

"Oh, I see." Samai crouchedd down and placed a coin (1 koku!!!) near the shrine. "I do not know if we have any soybeans, though I do might have some sweets."

She smiled at Hotaru. "The changing of the season has been... an inconsistent topic for us, considering all the traveling we did through our journey. In some places, seasons were divided into dry summer, and slightly wetter summer, for example."

She looked up at the sky, hopeful. "It feels... good to be home."
Ide Samai

Postby Bayushi Hotaru on Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:52 pm

Hotaru eye's lit up at the rather generous donation that Samai offered. Perhaps the Unicorn's appreciate of festivals and the Fortunes weren't lost on them after all, or maybe she was convincing after all. Her smile grew to a bright one and she bowed deeply in thanks. "Thank you, Ide-sama! Fortunes bless you! I'm also sure the monks here would be more than happy to receive your generous contribution, to ensure that your kindness will be known to the Fortunes and Heavens."

"They only have two summers or their summers are divided into two segments? From the furs I've seen your Clan favour, it seems like you've come from rather cold or frigid lands. As you've can see in Rokugan, we're heading toward warmer weather. It tends to get rather hot here once we're in the middle of summer. I don't know if that would compare very much to the places you been to! We just have hot summers, are there other kinds? I doubt you'll have much need for furs then," She tittered a small laugh.

Bayushi Hotaru

Postby Ide Samai on Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:14 pm

Bayushi Hotaru wrote:Hotaru eye's lit up at the rather generous donation that Samai offered. Perhaps the Unicorn's appreciate of festivals and the Fortunes weren't lost on them after all, or maybe she was convincing after all. Her smile grew to a bright one and she bowed deeply in thanks. "Thank you, Ide-sama! Fortunes bless you! I'm also sure the monks here would be more than happy to receive your generous contribution, to ensure that your kindness will be known to the Fortunes and Heavens."

"They only have two summers or their summers are divided into two segments? From the furs I've seen your Clan favour, it seems like you've come from rather cold or frigid lands. As you've can see in Rokugan, we're heading toward warmer weather. It tends to get rather hot here once we're in the middle of summer. I don't know if that would compare very much to the places you been to! We just have hot summers, are there other kinds? I doubt you'll have much need for furs then," She tittered a small laugh.

"Well, a blessing of the Fortunes during a miai will surely bring good... fortune." Wow, that was lame.

"Well, the nights are quite cold, so that is one reason for the dresses... the other is tradition I believe." She leaned in slightly towards Hotaru. "Though between us, I am not an expert on Moto fashion. Nor do I think anyone is."

She straigthened herself and opened her fan. "Speaking of which... perhaps you can guide me on what is the latest fashion among the Empire?"
Ide Samai

Postby Bayushi Hotaru on Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:33 pm

"They are called Fortunes for a reason!" She chuckled at Samai's statement, regardless of how lame she thought it was. "Mor or less the reason most people hope and pray for their blessings constantly."

"No one is an expert on Moto fashion, not even the Moto?" She blinked a few times at that revelation. "Hai, nights can get rather cold...I never thought of that, but I just thought that blankets would typically do the trick. Most people typically shouldn't be wandering around at night without a good reason."

"Oh, absolutely! Uhm..." She paused to consider, as she realized that she wasn't the authority on fashion around here. The courts weren't something she attended before but she had her own fashion opinion that she thought was fashionable. "To the best of my knowledge, layers are back in and classical styles too. The Imperial have always favoured such styles, along with the recent fruitful marriage in the Sparrow lands and the marriage of pillow books authors...people are hoping to invokes styles that harken back to the days of the Empire where things were more proper and even romantic."

Bayushi Hotaru

Postby Ide Samai on Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:45 pm

Bayushi Hotaru wrote:"They are called Fortunes for a reason!" She chuckled at Samai's statement, regardless of how lame she thought it was. "Mor or less the reason most people hope and pray for their blessings constantly."

"No one is an expert on Moto fashion, not even the Moto?" She blinked a few times at that revelation. "Hai, nights can get rather cold...I never thought of that, but I just thought that blankets would typically do the trick. Most people typically shouldn't be wandering around at night without a good reason."

"Oh, absolutely! Uhm..." She paused to consider, as she realized that she wasn't the authority on fashion around here. The courts weren't something she attended before but she had her own fashion opinion that she thought was fashionable. "To the best of my knowledge, layers are back in and classical styles too. The Imperial have always favoured such styles, along with the recent fruitful marriage in the Sparrow lands and the marriage of pillow books authors...people are hoping to invokes styles that harken back to the days of the Empire where things were more proper and even romantic."

[OOC: Sorry for the delay, Easter stuffz :(]

"Well... their sense of fashion is their own, we can agree on that. Mostly practical, less for aesthetics."

"Hm, layers and classical styles... hopefully that the styles we have kept can be fashionable then. Perhaps I will look into what my family has stored away, I can find something." That thought seemed to cheer her up. "Pillow book authors? Oh my... I have heard of such books, and I... might have gotten a book or two. They do seem to be useful in learning about the going ons in the Empire. Do you think that is true?"
Ide Samai

Postby Bayushi Hotaru on Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:19 pm

"I think the Unicorn have done a rather good job of keeping customs from Rokugan rather pristine. You may very well have some authentic find among your families things. My collection is based more on recreations or inspirations from the fashion of those eras."

She gave a small shrug, as someone who only has a very meagre collection of those books. Only for learning purposes, of course! "Yes and no?"

"I'd like to think that many were written at a certain time or era that much of their fashion has found its way undeniably imprinted in the work of each author! However, I heard that there are some creative liberties used to make them interesting...So I'd consider them more entertain than an accurate piece set in the times. I'd stick to people when it comes to learning more, like me!" Hotaru beamed with a smile on that note. "I'd be more than happy to help, as would my kin here."

Bayushi Hotaru

Postby Ide Samai on Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:04 am

Bayushi Hotaru wrote:"I think the Unicorn have done a rather good job of keeping customs from Rokugan rather pristine. You may very well have some authentic find among your families things. My collection is based more on recreations or inspirations from the fashion of those eras."

She gave a small shrug, as someone who only has a very meagre collection of those books. Only for learning purposes, of course! "Yes and no?"

"I'd like to think that many were written at a certain time or era that much of their fashion has found its way undeniably imprinted in the work of each author! However, I heard that there are some creative liberties used to make them interesting...So I'd consider them more entertain than an accurate piece set in the times. I'd stick to people when it comes to learning more, like me!" Hotaru beamed with a smile on that note. "I'd be more than happy to help, as would my kin here."

"Oh, I am already grateful for your help Bayushi-san, it is invaluable." She smiled and raised her fan to gently fan herself. "If you would like, I would welcome you and show you my meager collection and what we have in our histories in regards to fashion like that." She gestured towards the plains where her yurt was located. "Oh they are certainly entertaining, though I do adore them as... unofficial sources about court? I find that a great many topics can be learned through simple conversation, rather than whatever official missives are sent out about such gatherings."
Ide Samai

Postby Bayushi Hotaru on Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:14 am

Her eyes lit up curiously at the offer given to her and she smiled broadly. "That's a very kind offer to present, Ide-san. Strangely enough, fashion is something I yet to discuss at length with your kin. It seems like everyone is more fixated on food than fashion at the moment, it must have been that great banquet you've held on the first day!" She chuckled a little. And, all of that milk...

"Hai, most like unofficial sources...It does occur to me now that you've never attended court, Ide-san? Wasn't there anything like court that was held instead for your kin?"

Bayushi Hotaru

Postby Ide Samai on Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:35 pm

Bayushi Hotaru wrote:Her eyes lit up curiously at the offer given to her and she smiled broadly. "That's a very kind offer to present, Ide-san. Strangely enough, fashion is something I yet to discuss at length with your kin. It seems like everyone is more fixated on food than fashion at the moment, it must have been that great banquet you've held on the first day!" She chuckled a little. And, all of that milk...

"Hai, most like unofficial sources...It does occur to me now that you've never attended court, Ide-san? Wasn't there anything like court that was held instead for your kin?"

"Well, many bushi find the importance of a well stocked stomach, so I can understand their focus on food." She giggled a bit. "If you like talking about fashion, I am happy to join you Bayushi-san. I find it a fascinating topic... you can learn a great deal of a culture by its fashion." She raised her fan to hide her smile. "That said, pretty outfits are fun."

She tilted her head in thought. "Court... well, I was in court while I was training. Courts of merchants and chieftains mainly, and I heard stories about where my ancestors were. Have you attended court, Bayushi-san?"
Ide Samai

Postby Bayushi Hotaru on Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:13 pm

"Pretty outfits are very fun! I do like shopping for them whenever the merchant caravan rolls around the temple. No such luck here! It seems unfortunate, with all of the maidens and boys who want to pursue maidens in attendence. The town is really dry for shopping options too..." she sighed. "Maybe I should make like your kin and consider trading, as a form of getting new clothes?"

She shool her head."No, I haven't before. I've spent most of my time at the temple ever since my gempukku. Court is admittedly for my other kin in the Family.

Bayushi Hotaru

Next

Return to The Shrine of the Emerald Champion