(Day 3, LE) The Gentle Barbarian (Misa's Room, Closed)

Re: (Day 3, LE) The Gentle Barbarian (Misa's Room, Closed)

Postby Tonbo Misa on Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:21 pm

That caused a thoughtful pause before Misa shook her head slowly. "Magic... no, it's not really magic. It doesn't take calling the kami, or appealing to any spirits. The tea ceremony can affect people by touching their spiritual side. The Rokugani have a state of understanding and peace called Enlightenment. A proper tea ceremony can bring one closer to that sort of feeling of wholeness."
Dragon Clan • Bushi • Advisor • Blind • Ascetic • Enlightened
Honor: What is Expected | Glory: 1.0 | Status: 4.0 | Courtship Points: 7
Carries: Traveling Pack, Daisho (where applicable), walking stick

Sanmi (Attendant)
Tonbo Misa

Postby Moto Butaj on Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:39 pm

This is all a bit confusing to Butaj, but he tries his best to understand as he sips tea. "Wholeness with whom? The one who performs the ceremony? Butaj does feel more attuned to Misa now if that was intended. But this may be because you have made made much effort to show me something special."
Scorpion Clan | Bushi | Big Bad Keshig | Black Horse | Slacker | Soul of the Steppe | Honest
Profile | Expected Honor | Status 1 | Glory 0

Has: furs & leathers, daisho, knife, one of musical instruments, skin of kumis, keepsake, Yuki's fan
Sometimes also: bow, horse, light armor, other musical instruments, tent
Moto Butaj

Postby Tonbo Misa on Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:42 pm

Misa once again flushed a bit, but this time her face remained more serious, her tone gentle and teaching. "In part with the performer, yes, but it is more than that. I... perhaps before I try to explain it more, you would do me the honor of telling me more of your family's religious practices Butaj. I don't need it all of course, but it would help me know where to start."

Sanmi (Attendant)
Tonbo Misa

Postby Moto Butaj on Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:06 pm

Butaj nods. "We worship Lady Shinjo, first and foremost. We revere the old heroes of all the Unicorn families. We revere the tribe, the Clan as a whole, the oneness and close bonds, they are spiritual. The Moto had some other gods once but I don't even know who they were exactly, they were sad and grim though, nothing like the shining beacon Lady Shinjo has been. But we have many traditions from the tribal times of the Moto which make us ourselves. Calling a kurultai. Going on a kurichitai when old and ailing. Butaj thinks it is hard to speak of Unicorn spirituality because it's something you live in... There are many influences from all across the Burning Sands, and it is hard to trace them all! They live in our songs, stories, rites... Ha, it would practically make Butaj a priest of sorts. Hahaha!" Butaj rubs bis stubble with amusement and embarassment. "Butaj didn't see that coming. Maybe just Butaj is not good o explain this, and Misa should ask a Iuchi."
Scorpion Clan | Bushi | Big Bad Keshig | Black Horse | Slacker | Soul of the Steppe | Honest

Has: furs & leathers, daisho, knife, one of musical instruments, skin of kumis, keepsake, Yuki's fan
Moto Butaj

Postby Tonbo Misa on Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:15 pm

Misa smiled gently, and with clear appreciation. "In some senses that sounds much as Rokugan. Each clan here reveres its founding Kami, including Togashi of the Dragon. We also pray to our ancestors, which is much like your worshipping old heroes and family members. The parts that are older are more unique, but even then." She paused before going on more thoughtfully.

"Wholeness speaks of a spiritual quality of completeness, of fullness. Everything, from people to plants, from animals to music, can have a sense of correctness, of perfection. With the tea ceremony, it is the maker putting their own spirit into the making, but also the right tea, right setting, right cups, right way of drinking. Practicing your sword can lead to that same sense though, as can meditation, or music, or even riding a horse I imagine. Being able to know what that is, that feeling that everything is right, that you can understand what correctness is; that is the best I can describe what wholeness is." She stopped to smile sheepishly, shyly hanging her head. "I am not a priestess though, I must have done a poor job of explaining all that. Enlightenment can take a lifetime without knowing though."

Sanmi (Attendant)
Tonbo Misa

Postby Moto Butaj on Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:29 pm

"Butaj is not a liar so he won't tell you he understands." It is his turn to smile sheepishly. "But it is the flaw of Butaj, not of Misa. Besides, Butaj has some general idea now, thanks to Misa. Enlightenment, ha. And if one has it, what happens next? They become heroes like the Seven Thunders?"

Moto Butaj

Postby Tonbo Misa on Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:33 pm

"That depends on the person I suppose." Misa looked deeply thoughtful. "Enlightenment is knowing. What can anyone do with knowledge? You could use that knowledge to save others like a hero I suppose. You could teach others that knowledge as well, become a famous teacher. You could also just keep it to yourself, or use it to work to your advantage at the expense of others. Enlightenment doesn't always come to only good people after all."

Sanmi (Attendant)
Tonbo Misa

Postby Moto Butaj on Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:02 pm

"Oooh." Butaj pouts in deep, somber thought. It's not a pleasant revelation. "There were powerful men and women in the Burning Sands that knew a lot and used what they know for evil things. But they were mostly sorcerers. The idea that one can master his mind and soul and be bad is very troubling to Butaj. Maybe this enlightenment is too dangerous for people to have it?"

Moto Butaj

Postby Tonbo Misa on Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:13 pm

Misa shook her head immediately at that. "Not at all. A sword can kill an Emperor, but that doesn't mean we should get rid of all swords. Enlightenment is knowing, and knowing is something that can help many. I use knowledge and understanding in my duty as an advisor, but even Butaj would use it. In battle, having a strong horse, a good blade, and a good army behind you will all help, but that is only half the battle. Knowing is the other half. That is true of working for peace too. Understanding the world and everything that makes it should never be turned away from."

Sanmi (Attendant)
Tonbo Misa

Postby Moto Butaj on Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:34 pm

"Wait." Something dawns on Butaj and his eyes go wide. "Misa, are you enlightened?"

Moto Butaj

Postby Tonbo Misa on Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:45 pm

She flushed a bit. "That's not really easy to say. I don't believe I am fully, but... in some ways, I feel I have found the correct path to go down. It is why I seek to advise my family and daimyo, to help them find a peace of their own that I feel inside myself."

Sanmi (Attendant)
Tonbo Misa

Postby Moto Butaj on Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:54 pm

Butaj sits in awe for a moment. "And... what has it changed for you, ever since you started to feel like... that?"

Moto Butaj

Postby Tonbo Misa on Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:57 pm

"It's not a feeling like being sick or sleepy, it's not so physical, but... I used to be more doubtful, more wary and cautious. I used to see myself as unfortunate because of my lack of sight, from losing all of my immediate family to violence. Since I've found a bit of the spiritual peace that I believe is the right path, I've been a lot calmer, a lot more accepting of what life is, and what I can do." She didn't seem fully certain, like she didn't know how to explain it all.

Sanmi (Attendant)
Tonbo Misa

Postby Moto Butaj on Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:11 am

"Butaj also knows what it means to lose close ones..." He sighs, taking a sip of the bitter Dragon tea. "So... enlightenment is being at peace with who you are and what has happened to you?"

Moto Butaj

Postby Tonbo Misa on Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:14 am

"It can lead to that, yes. When you know better the path the world takes, how things work together and how they connect, you can better realize your place in it. At least, that's how it's been for me. They say though that enlightenment isn't one path but many. It can mean many different things to many different people... which I know only makes it more confusing I suppose." Misa gave a soft sigh, smiling weakly.

Sanmi (Attendant)
Tonbo Misa

PreviousNext

Return to Prestigious Guest Rooms