If you can swim, can you ride? (Day 3, expecting, LM)

Re: If you can swim, can you ride? (Day 3, expecting, LM)

Postby Shinjo Liu Yue on Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:32 pm

The woman let out a sigh of relief. The last thing she wanted was to be the cause of permanent injury at a miai. "It is no problem, Taira-dono." She waved her hand in front of his eyes to get his attention and then led them to hers so that she could check their focus. "For now, no strenuous activity."
Unicorn - Bushi - Horrible Burns - Missing Left Arm - Damaged Eye - Rather Tall - Unfamiliar (Gaijin) Name - Dauntless
Status 1.0 - Glory 2.0 / Infamy 0.2 - Honour: Untrustworthy - Courtship: 5
Languages: Mekhem, Yobanjin

Typically Carries: Sturdy Clothing, Daisho, Fan, Small Hand Mirror, Finger of Jade, Coin Purse, Small Knife, Medicine Kit, Sake Cup

Riding Horse: Hikazume, Puppy: Gon
Shinjo Liu Yue

Postby Soshi Taira on Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:49 pm

He could focus, and his gaze was very intent.

"I want to try again."

His voice had fallen into little more than a whisper, but it was a very serious one. The attentive viewer would see tension in him such that his knuckles were white, his hands balled into fists, shaking slightly.
Scorpion Clan :: Good Cop :: Doctor :: Paragon :: Pragmatic :: Spirit-Touched :: Cursed
Honor: Untrustworthy Status: 1.0 Glory: 3.0 CP: 2
Carries: Daisho, medical satchel, black and red kimono, tall collar 'mask', ink-splotched fan
Now treating: Patient No.18

Description:: Theme:: Struggle
Soshi Taira

Postby Shinjo Liu Yue on Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:53 pm

Yue opened her mouth but then held back her words. She could see the intent in his eyes. Instead, she got to her feet and offered her hand to help him up. "Hikazume!" she called to her steed. The horse trotted backwards though she kept her distance from both of them. "I will watch more closely this time, Taira-dono."
Unicorn - Bushi - Horrible Burns - Missing Left Arm - Damaged Eye - Rather Tall - Unfamiliar (Gaijin) Name - Dauntless

Typically Carries: Sturdy Clothing, Daisho, Fan, Small Hand Mirror, Finger of Jade, Coin Purse, Small Knife, Medicine Kit, Sake Cup

Shinjo Liu Yue

Postby Soshi Taira on Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:59 pm

Taira nodded, jaw set.

"Thank you, Liu-Yue-hime. If there is the chance I may yet be Unicorn, I cannot fail at this."

Looking at his shaking hand, he clenched down a fist again, until it stilled. This was nothing like a boat, a horse did not ride a river. He could breath. He was fine.

Then he approached the horse, expression grim.

This time his foot found the stirrup, and he surged into the saddle. The hesitant steps of the horse didn't shift him, and to his surprise he was where he intended to be. More, the horse hadn't immediately thrown him back off. That was, for him, a victory.

A tiny one, but he'd take what he could get.
Scorpion Clan :: Good Cop :: Doctor :: Paragon :: Pragmatic :: Spirit-Touched :: Cursed
Carries: Daisho, medical satchel, black and red kimono, tall collar 'mask', ink-splotched fan

Soshi Taira

Postby Shinjo Liu Yue on Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:15 pm

"Any Unicorn that marries into the Scorpion would expect the same of her husband," she corrected him.

Yue stood behind the man the entire time. She was not sure how well she could catch him if he fell, given her impediment, but she was determined to try. Fortunately for both of them, the man had ended up on top of Hikazume with no problem. "Good!" she exclaimed, glad that he did not end up with a worse injury.

She reached up to take the reins so that she could lead the horse. "Keep your back straight and shoulders relaxed, Taira-dono," she instructed. "I will lead Hikazume for now."

Shinjo Liu Yue

Postby Soshi Taira on Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:23 pm

For a moment it seemed he might argue, but then he just nodded, tight-jawed.

As for his posture, he settled into it smoothly.

He had several things he wanted to say, and all of them couldn't seem to make it past his stubborn, locked jaw.

Soshi Taira

Postby Shinjo Liu Yue on Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:29 pm

Hikazume blew air out of her nose harshly. The Unicorn woman hurried over and nuzzled with her steed. "It's okay, it's okay. He's a nice man. He's just a little frustrated."

She then turned over to him with the meekest smile she had given here. "Taira-dono, may I ask you to relax more? Hikazume can sense tension."

Shinjo Liu Yue

Postby Soshi Taira on Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:37 pm

Taira glanced at the Unicorn, and then let out a long, weary sigh.

"Hai."

With a sideways look he added, "I'm sorry. One wished to make a better showing of things. Not to be reduced to being led as a child might be... I thought myself more proficient than I was. I apologize for my discourtesy."

It was painful to admit, but he had made the mistake, and it was not fair to take it out on her or the horse.

"You have been astonishingly patient with me. You have my thanks."

Soshi Taira

Postby Shinjo Liu Yue on Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:41 pm

The woman blinked. "Daijoubu, Taira-dono. You are not a child. I would lead anyone on their first horseback ride." She held out the reins for a moment but then lowered them. Best stick to the lesson I had in mind.

She gave him an amused smile. "You should thank my sister for my patience."

Shinjo Liu Yue

Postby Soshi Taira on Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:45 pm

That brought a weary smile. "Perhaps I will, if you are not careful. You honor her, and your family."

Resting his hands on the pommel of the saddle, he relaxed, allowing the motion of the horse under him to feel just that little bit more natural.

Nothing like the sea, thank the kami.

"I hope I can repay that kindness, before the end of the miai..."

Soshi Taira

Postby Shinjo Liu Yue on Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:50 pm

Not careful? Is he... implying...?

Well, it is a miai.

Liu Yue led Taira and her horse along a gentle path. The trotting went along much more smoothly than earlier until Hikazume sensed tension, this time in her master. "'Repay that kindness?' Do you intend to teach me more about Medicine?" She stopped in her tracks, a smile on her lips. "What else do you know, Taira-dono?" She meant no offense in that question and she hoped, by now, that the Soshi knew how to interpret her quirks.

Shinjo Liu Yue

Postby Soshi Taira on Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:59 pm

He quirked his head, not realizing she had mistaken his jest about praising her to her sister.

"I don't know how, Liu-Yue-hime, only that one good turn deserves another. When you have need, you must only ask."

Pondering her question, he added, "A little about most everything written down in the empire, at least, in theory. As for how much I excel at... I'm not half bad at subduing criminals and the like. Strong grip, and all that."

Soshi Taira

Postby Shinjo Liu Yue on Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:04 pm

"That makes sense, Taira-dono." She held up the reins to him with a smile.

"Sugoi. I wish I had such knowledge." She glanced at her missing arm and then back to him. "I am not good at wrestling. My sister may claim otherwise but I cannot gain good leverage."

Shinjo Liu Yue

Postby Soshi Taira on Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:21 pm

"Ah."

He nodded. That was reasonable.

"There are methods that do not rely so much on grappling, though I can understand if you'd focus on the techniques you excel at."

After a moment of thought, he accepted the reins quietly, setting them loosely in his hands, getting some idea of the length and tension.

Glancing at Liu Yue, he added, "It is... tap of my heels to ask her to walk, yes?"

Soshi Taira

Postby Shinjo Liu Yue on Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:31 pm

"What techniques do you speak of, Taira-dono?" She looked at him with peppy curiosity.

She stepped backward and took in his question. To her surprise, she was not so sure immediately. Riding a horse came to her so naturally. "Iie. You need to squeeze your calves together to signal her, Taira-dono." She thought on it a bit more. "However, you should tap her if she does not respond."

Shinjo Liu Yue

PreviousNext

Return to Horsemanship Field