Are there any boken here? (D2, EA)

Re: Are there any boken here? (D2, EA)

Postby Seppun Hitako on Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:30 am

"Noooo. No, I don't do either. I have a little training in the Courtly arts, and as a shugenja. Thus why I need training here."
Seppun Hitako
Imperial • Shugenja • Sahir • Friendly Jinn
Honor: What is expected • Glory: 1 • Status: 1.5 • Courtship: 9
Mekhem
Seppun Hitako

Postby Moto Baatar on Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:04 am

"Spread your feet apart, and stand in a lower stance, your weight between your feet, like you were riding a horse," Baatar said. He adopted a horse stance to demonstrate, holding the short practice sword in front of him as he did so.

"Good balance will let you move easier." While maintaining this stance, the Unicorn took a small step forward, then a small step back, to show her what he meant. Baatar's shoulders stayed level and his weight balanced as he moved.
Unicorn Clan • Samurai • Gaijin Name • Failure of Courtesy
Honor: Untrustworthy • Status: 1.0 • Glory: 0.0 • Courtship: 4
carries: scimitar, wakizashi, shochu, puppy. when appropriate: Unicorn horse, riding armor
Moto Baatar

Postby Kitsu Takashi on Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:37 pm

"Yes, just as Moto-san is doing." Takashi nods enthusiastically, appreciative of the help.

"It may feel more comfortable if you think about how, in court, we use words to advance our ideas, metaphorically stepping back as the words are challenged. You're doing the same thing here. Your wakizashi is like the words, and you choose when and where to deploy your words..."
Lion Clan * Bushi/Courtier * Sensational * The jolliest Kitsu
Status: 1.0 | Glory: 1.0 | Honor: As expected | Courtship points: 4
Always carries: Daisho, unremarkable clothing, and some writing supplies (calligraphy set if planning ahead, but always a bit of charcoal and parchment).
Kitsu Takashi

Postby Seppun Hitako on Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:51 pm

She spread her feet, but still had a little trouble balancing. Not a big problem, she was just learning something that didn't come easily to her. Still she slowly started to get it.
Seppun Hitako
Mekhem
Seppun Hitako

Postby Moto Baatar on Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:39 am

Baatar moved to stand in front of Hitako, as if an opponent. "Now try to move your feet to retreat when I advance, and advance when I retreat," he instructed. "Little, shuffling steps - big steps would let me hit you! And try to stay balanced."

The young Unicorn took a few small steps forward, then a few small steps back while maintaining his horse stance, to illustrate to Hitako what he meant by this.
carries: scimitar, wakizashi, shochu, puppy. when appropriate: Unicorn horse, riding armor
Moto Baatar

Postby Seppun Hitako on Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:22 am

She squinted at his feet, then began to follow along. Totally focused on the feet movement, paying no attention to the weapons, just to the feet.

She was doing decently at that, anyways.
Seppun Hitako
Mekhem
Seppun Hitako

Postby Moto Baatar on Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:28 am

"Good, good!" the young Unicorn called encouragingly, as Hitako followed his example. "But keep your body balanced; don't lean or hunch your shoulders as you take a step. Your upper body doesn't need to move at all, even though your feet are moving quickly."
Moto Baatar

Postby Kitsu Takashi on Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:51 pm

"It takes a great deal of practice to make this all come easily. Seppun-sama is off to a very good start," he says with an approving bow of his head that no one else notices.

After a time, making sure not to rush the Imperial, Takashi suggests the next step: "As you've trained in the court, Seppun-sama, you may have learned to watch the head, the eyes of another person, but to still 'see' what the rest of their body is doing. Moto-san is working hard to keep his torso and arms steady, so as not to reveal what he is thinking and about to do. But in his eyes, the subtle movements of his head, he reveals his advances and retreats. Watch there, not his feet, and you will still see what he is doing so that your own feet may respond."
Always carries: Daisho, unremarkable clothing, and some writing supplies (calligraphy set if planning ahead, but always a bit of charcoal and parchment).
Kitsu Takashi

Postby Seppun Hitako on Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:45 am

She begins to try paying attention to what he is doing, but then loses the rhythm of the feet. When she has the rhythm of the feet back, she isn't paying attention to his torso. She tries, she just hasn't figured out the knack of it yet.
Seppun Hitako
Mekhem
Seppun Hitako

Postby Moto Baatar on Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:23 pm

"Uh... maybe that was too much to handle at once," Baatar said, after observing Hitako's struggles. "Forget about the upper body and just focus on footwork for now, until moving like this feels natural. You can add your upper body and arms later on - that is, if you decide to keep practicing."
Moto Baatar

Postby Seppun Hitako on Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:29 pm

"I will keep practicing. I have to get this right. If nothing else, it is good to have as a useful skill, and can be used to defend myself, yes?"
Seppun Hitako
Mekhem
Seppun Hitako

Postby Moto Baatar on Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:35 pm

"Hitting people with swords is always a useful skill," Baatar assured her solemnly. "As is not getting hit by swords. It's well worth practicing, if you ask me."

"Though I bet being a sahir is pretty useful, too," he added. "What kind of sahir are you, anyway? Are you the kind of sahir that sees the future, or the kind that makes things explode?"
Moto Baatar

Postby Kitsu Takashi on Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:40 pm

Takashi had been observing quietly, please to yield the teacher role to the young Unicorn. He was considering excusing himself to his own practice when one eyebrow perked up at Baatar's question. His focus returned to Hitako.
Kitsu Takashi

Postby Seppun Hitako on Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:28 am

"It is, from my understanding, a catch-all term. My own abilities allow me attack at a distance, or craft a weapon of fire to use. Though, with that, the weapon itself grants me skill. Mostly, I use the focus of the Seal itself to focus the prayers."
Seppun Hitako
Mekhem
Seppun Hitako

Postby Moto Baatar on Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:50 pm

"Oh, well, if you can use magic to gain sword skill, why don't you do that?" Baatar asked. "Normally it takes a lot of practice to get good at swordplay, but if you can become better by magic...." He snapped his fingers at the word. "Wouldn't that be a lot easier?"
Moto Baatar

PreviousNext

Return to Calm Heart Dojo