A Peaceful Place (D2-EE)

Re: A Peaceful Place (D2-EE)

Postby Shiba Kaizen on Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:31 pm

As it was apparent the women were paired off in their conversations Kaizen found it suitable enough as he was here with a different purpose in mind. He looked about and found a quiet spot and knelt down. He bowed and upon rising produced two pieces of mochi and in the little nook pushed them to the stone rail. He began to pray for a time considering his failure to complete the event of the day. The Fortune Daikoku is often not one favored for pious worship by bushi and Kaizen himself was guilty of such a slight. His failure reminded him that Daikoku was just not a Fortune for mercantile affairs, but held domain over worldly matters in general. Righting this imbalance held importance to the young Shiba as such he gave earnest offerings and prayers.

Two mochi to represent the twin bales of rice that are your perch. My prayers are said at the Fortunes feet. I seek not wealth or greatness only to give the Fortune due respect and pray for my Clan and kins success....
Phoenix Clan * Yojimbo * Previous Year Topaz Competitor of Renown * Crane are not Fans of.. * Short
Glory: 2.0 * Status: 1.0 * Honor: What is Expected * Courtship Points: 5
Carries: daisho, fan, samisen, and wears decent quality clothing with a haori and hakama
Shiba Kaizen

Postby Otaku Imane on Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:19 pm

Doji Fukawa wrote:Fukawa nodded.

"We are. But I think there is much to learn from you as well, Otaku-san. Rumors have been swirling about as to the special nature of your horses. Could you tell me a bit more about what makes them so special? I'd really like to know." she asks politely.

Imane smiled pleasantly at Fukawa, who was of a similar height. It was nice not to have to look up, which is what she typically experienced whenever she wasn't on horseback. She noted the Phoenix as he made his offerings and nodded to him politely when he looked their way.

"Oh yes, you are quite correct and I would be delighted to tell you about them Doji-san." Her eyes flicked out to where the horse was now lying down contentedly. "The Otaku war horses are descended from a noble breed that we believe originated in the spirit realms. Many generations ago my people were held captive by sorcerers in the Burning Sands. When we escaped that prison the ancestors of our steeds were also freed by Otaku Rumaru, and they have served as our companions and steeds ever since. Only a woman of the Otaku lineage may ride one into battle. They are faster, leaner, and more muscular than our cousin's steeds. We train them from the time they are foals, and they retire from active service after 15 years."

She looked to see if the Crane was satisfied with the answer, or if she had further questions.
Unicorn • Shiotome • Prodigy • Musical • Honest • Gaijin Name • Archer • Lancer • Singer
Status: 2.0 | Glory: 0.0 | Infamy: 0.1 | Honor: A Soul Above Question | Courtship Points: 9
Languages: Mekhem
Carries: Sturdy Clothing, Daisho, Flute, Light armour (where appropriate)
Carried by: Almatar (Otaku warhorse, where appropriate)
Otaku Imane

Postby Doji Fukawa on Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:08 am

Otaku Imane wrote:
Doji Fukawa wrote:Fukawa nodded.

"We are. But I think there is much to learn from you as well, Otaku-san. Rumors have been swirling about as to the special nature of your horses. Could you tell me a bit more about what makes them so special? I'd really like to know." she asks politely.

Imane smiled pleasantly at Fukawa, who was of a similar height. It was nice not to have to look up, which is what she typically experienced whenever she wasn't on horseback. She noted the Phoenix as he made his offerings and nodded to him politely when he looked their way.

"Oh yes, you are quite correct and I would be delighted to tell you about them Doji-san." Her eyes flicked out to where the horse was now lying down contentedly. "The Otaku war horses are descended from a noble breed that we believe originated in the spirit realms. Many generations ago my people were held captive by sorcerers in the Burning Sands. When we escaped that prison the ancestors of our steeds were also freed by Otaku Rumaru, and they have served as our companions and steeds ever since. Only a woman of the Otaku lineage may ride one into battle. They are faster, leaner, and more muscular than our cousin's steeds. We train them from the time they are foals, and they retire from active service after 15 years."

She looked to see if the Crane was satisfied with the answer, or if she had further questions.

The Otaku certainly had the Crane's interests...though perhaps not for the reasons the Otaku thought.

"Hmm, your family is matriarchal then, Otaku-san, like the Moshi?" she asks, very curious to learn more about the Otaku.
Crane Clane * Courtier * Pretty *Perfumed *Prized *Petite* Perfect Pitch

Glory: 1.0 Honor: Exceptional Status: 1.0 CP: 13

Carrying: Extravagant clothing, jewelry, money, (Day 6) Violet Fan with Horses Charging Forward (Day 8) Accompanied by Dog, Takahiro

Theme Song
Doji Fukawa

Postby Otaku Imane on Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:35 am

Imane was thoughtful. "I have not yet met a Moshi, is this one of the new minor clans perhaps? In any case, yes the Otaku are matriarchal. Our men train for combat as well but may not ride our warhorses into battle, although they do assist in training them. What else would you like to know, Doji-san? I am happy to tell you more about my people."
Unicorn • Shiotome • Prodigy • Musical • Honest • Gaijin Name • Archer • Lancer • Singer
Status: 2.0 | Glory: 0.0 | Infamy: 0.1 | Honor: A Soul Above Question | Courtship Points: 9
Otaku Imane

Postby Doji Fukawa on Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:44 am

Fukawa fanned away a little of the heat left from the day.

"A great deal, Otaku-san. I am no Phoenix, but if I am to marry into your clan, I would certainly like to know more about the colors I am about to take." she says.

She pauses a moment, thoughtfully.

"But I do not wish to be rude, and simply ask you questions without end, Otaku-san. This miai is also a good time for you to learn about the Empire. Is there anything I can do to help you?" she asks politely.

[The Soul of Honor: 29]

Carrying: Extravagant clothing, jewelry, money, (Day 6) Violet Fan with Horses Charging Forward (Day 8) Accompanied by Dog, Takahiro

Theme Song
Doji Fukawa

Postby Shiba Kaizen on Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:33 pm

Shiba Kaizen stood from his small place of worship. After bowing again to his offering and by extension the Fortune he turned and exited the immediate area. As he did he found a place to sit on a stone step and as he took the impromptu seat he removed the samisen from his back. He idly fingered the strings not making any noise considering what he would play. He didn't want to disturb those who remained with something too lively, but he wanted to present the shrine with something that both it's Patron may enjoy as well as its current patrons. He started playing slowly closing his eyes and letting the song bound from the strings struck from his bachi. This song was a favorite of his mother's as it was popular in the northern provinces where she was born. It also seemed to suit the stillness of the evening outside the shrine.

Perform: Samisen/Agility 28
Phoenix Clan * Yojimbo * Previous Year Topaz Competitor of Renown * Crane are not Fans of.. * Short
Glory: 2.0 * Status: 1.0 * Honor: What is Expected * Courtship Points: 5
Carries: daisho, fan, samisen, and wears decent quality clothing with a haori and hakama
Shiba Kaizen

Postby Otaku Imane on Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:09 pm

Imane thought about that for few moments, enjoying the sound of the Phoenix samisen that provided a gentle background to their conversation. She favoured the man with a smile before replying to Doji Fukawa.

"There is so much to learn about Rokugan since my people departed. I am told that the Crane are the masters of both etiquette and iaijutsu, and that iai is the major route by which disputes are resolved. It occurs to me that the tolerance for our differences within the Empire will eventually come to an end, and the Ide can only be in so many places. So, perhaps it would be wise for a young Unicorn like myself to gain tuition in these things?"

-----

D2. Resisting Crane tech. TN29: 3d10o10k2 15
Otaku Imane

Postby Doji Fukawa on Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:43 pm

Fukawa listens to the samisen as she considered how to work out the Unicorn's needs.

It doesn't seem fair that someone so fair could come from someone so foul. Why should the Fortunes bless the Phoenix with a drop of artistic talent? she mused behind her fan.

"Hmmm, Otaku-san is wise to think of the long term." she says. "I don't believe the Crane sent any bushi to this miai, I've met an artisan and a shugenja so far."

She fans herself a bit.

"But I too can think of the long term. Assuming that we Crane marry in to the Unicorn, we would be motivated to reach out to our families to arrange such training. Until then....well, I would not offer to teach Otaku-san about etiquette, but perhaps she would be interested to hear about some of the stories of the Empire concerning the importance of good etiquette?" she offers, seeking to minimize offense.

Theme Song
Doji Fukawa

Postby Otaku Imane on Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:48 pm

Imane smiled politely and nodded. "I would be delighted Doji-san. The recent case of my Champion's actions being taken as an insult by the Lion only goes to show how important it is for my people to adjust swiftly. Some stories would serve as useful illustrations."

The fan caught her attention. It seemed a useful thing to carry on a day like this.
Otaku Imane

Postby Doji Fukawa on Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:14 am

The Doji noticed the Otaku's lack of fan. While she did have extra to spare, she didn't really want the gossips to spread the story that she was courting the Otaku.

Fukawa nodded.

"Well, since we are at this particular shrine, let's start with the famous story of the duel between Lord Kakita and Lady Matsu.

In the year 23, the Emperor created the position of his personal bodyguard. It was to be determined by a series of contests of athletics, wrestling, and strategy that culminated in a kenjutsu tournament. Throughout the contests, two competitors who were as different as night and day became the clear favorites to win.

Lady Matsu was a tall, powerfully built woman, possessed of a furious rage. She fought every duel as if it was a war, insulting each competitor's ability before they fought, and then berating them for their weakness when they fell.

Lord Kakita was a somewhat short, slender man, possessed of beauty and grace. He fought every duel as a meeting of equals. He politely greeted each competitor, and when they were defeated, he bowed to them, thanking them for giving him the chance to further hone his skills.

Lady Matsu laughed when it came time for the final duel at the little man that stood between her and a great honor. Lord Kakita, for his part, calmly studied her.

With a roar, Lady Matsu charged at Lord Kakita, planning to dispatch him with one devastating blow. But Lord Kakita was not there. In this one case, Lady Matsu was badly outmatched. Kakita had forged the first katana. His understanding of kenjutsu forms the basis of the Empire's understanding of kenjutsu. When Lady Matsu rushed him, he simply stepped to the side, and in one fluid motion drew his sword, and struck her down with one perfect strike.

The match was over, and Lord Kakita was the winner. But he had seen how Lady Matsu had treated her opponents. In this one case, he thought it fair that she should experience what she had treated them to, and did not bow to her.

This enraged Lady Matsu. In her mind, by not bowing to her, Lord Kakita was saying that she was worth less than all the other weaklings he had bested in the tournament, and had thought enough to bow to.

And so she said the words, 'Then let us be enemity between us, little man.' And so there has been between the Kakita and Matsu families for generation after generation. Countless lives have been lost on both sides over a single bow.'"

The Doji had a musical voice, and had obviously trained as a storyteller. Her tale now at an end, she looks to the Unicorn for her reaction.

Theme Song
Doji Fukawa

Postby Otaku Imane on Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:26 pm

Imane listened in rapt attention. The Doji told her story will and with more skill than her father, the self styled matter of stories. Although of course his stories had more of a play in which the listener was forced to take part.

She considered the message of the tale for a time and then offered a crisp bow. "That was a tale well told, thank you Doji-san. This is why the Lion and Crane are so often at odds, yes? Even after so many centuries have passed."

The little Otaku gazed over at the Shrine with new appreciation.

"These are the stories my people need to be told."
Otaku Imane

Postby Doji Fukawa on Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:10 pm

Fukawa nodded.

"I would be happy to tell you more when it is convenient for you, Otaku-san." she replies. "I'm certain the Unicorn have some stories of wondrous things seen on their ride that will certainly cause a stir."

Theme Song
Doji Fukawa

Postby Otaku Imane on Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:17 am

Imane smiled slightly at Fukawa's comment and bowed her head before looking back at the Crane.

"It's, this is true Doji-san. It occurs to me that it might be wise to discuss them with you first before releasing them upon the Empire?"

She let her smile widen a touch, thinking of her father's stories and the style of the Moto storytellers.
Otaku Imane

Postby Doji Fukawa on Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:21 am

Fukawa nodded.

"That probably would be wise. I would be honored to be a first audience for any tale you wish to release upon the Empire, so it might meet with priase, rather than derision." she agrees.

Theme Song
Doji Fukawa

Postby Otaku Imane on Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:25 am

Well, that had seemed straightforward enough. Imane looked at the Doji with a curious expression.

"Have you heard the tale of the Dark Ride Doji-san?"

She expected the answer was no but maybe someone has delivered it already.
Otaku Imane

PreviousNext

Return to The Shrine of the Emerald Champion