(D2, LE) More Like... Balm Start Mojo! (Subjects are Hard)

(D2, LE) More Like... Balm Start Mojo! (Subjects are Hard)

Postby Tonbo Misa on Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:27 am

Misa had made her way out that evening to try to work up a bit of a sweat before bed. She was still feeling a little under the weather after diner the day before, but she had the theory of sweating out the rest. Not that her condition allowed for vigorous training, though she technically knew how to use a blade. Instead, after being guided to the dojo by Sanmi, Misa grabbed a bokken and just started flowing, elegant kata, the kata of the thoughtful order she had trained under.
Dragon Clan • Bushi • Advisor • Blind • Ascetic • Enlightened
Honor: What is Expected | Glory: 1.0 | Status: 4.0 | Courtship Points: 7
Carries: Traveling Pack, Daisho (where applicable), walking stick

Sanmi (Attendant)
Tonbo Misa

Re: (D2, LE) More Like... Balm Start Mojo! (Subjects are Har

Postby Otaku Imane on Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:40 am

Another samurai-ko had made her way to the dojo tonight, although for this one it was both the first time and entirely visible. Her horse was being groomed in the stables so Imane had decided to come and get in some kenjutsu practice on foot.

When she arrived she took off her shoes and looked around for a few moments before entering. Perhaps not realising that the Dragon was blind she bowed in Misa's direction before beginning some drills, "Good evening. Ah, Dragon-sama." Her own training used her blade rather than the wooden replicas.
Unicorn • Shiotome • Prodigy • Musical • Honest • Gaijin Name • Archer • Lancer • Singer
Status: 2.0 | Glory: 0.0 | Infamy: 0.1 | Honor: A Soul Above Question | Courtship Points: 9
Languages: Mekhem
Carries: Sturdy Clothing, Daisho, Flute, Light armour (where appropriate)
Carried by: Almatar (Otaku warhorse, where appropriate)
Otaku Imane

Postby Tonbo Misa on Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:32 am

The footsteps of another entering were unmistakable, but she couldn't tell anything just by that. Even the greeting told her no more than it was a female. Still, she paused in her kata to give a proper bow and smile. "Good evening samurai-sama. I hope it finds you well. This one is Tonbo Misa, advisor to my family head, bushi, miai participant."

She was looking in the general direction of Imane, but a bit off to the side.

Sanmi (Attendant)
Tonbo Misa

Postby Otaku Imane on Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:16 pm

Imane could tell that something was odd by the indirect look, but it could have been some sort of Dragon thing, supposedly they were a little odd. She returned the smile and moved closer.

"Ohayou and well met Tonbo-sama. I am Otaku Imane of the Shiotome, similarly seeking a suitable match, but also wishing to learn more of this land my people are to call home. I am well thank you, and pleased to meet a member of the Clan that did so much for my own."
Unicorn • Shiotome • Prodigy • Musical • Honest • Gaijin Name • Archer • Lancer • Singer
Status: 2.0 | Glory: 0.0 | Infamy: 0.1 | Honor: A Soul Above Question | Courtship Points: 9
Otaku Imane

Postby Tonbo Misa on Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:08 pm

A smile blossomed into the girl's face at the Unicorn maiden's words. "We were honored to help your clan out as we could Otaku-sama. So far all I have met from your clan have been compassionate and kind, forthright and proud. Plus, even if I cannot see it for myself, I have been told most to be quite handsome and beautiful too."

Sanmi (Attendant)
Tonbo Misa

Postby Otaku Imane on Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:35 pm

Which clicked that part of the puzzle into place. Imane sheathed her blade and moved closer to the blind Dragon.

"It makes my heart sing to hear it is so, Tonbo-sama. Have you met any of my sisters yet? We Shiotome pride ourselves on our adherence to the principles of bushido, maintaining our honour in distant and foreign lands."

The light accent led her to place emphasis in slightly different places than the Tonbo might have been used to.

"I would say that we have many attractive candidates at this miai, though some may think us rather exotic. Might I ask if there is anything in particular that you are seeking in a match?" She looked at the bokken. "Of course this is something we can discuss another time. I would not wish to divert you from your training."
Otaku Imane

Postby Tonbo Misa on Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:54 pm

Misa gave a soft laugh, smiling. "I came here to relax and forget my feeling under the weather, and conversation will do that just as well as my kata. And yes, I have met an Otaku before you. Otaku Kitakuhime-sama was fabulous." Her smiled brightened.

Sanmi (Attendant)
Tonbo Misa

Postby Otaku Imane on Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:02 pm

A slightly more girly exclamation was her reaction to the mention of Kitakuhime.

"Oh how lovely, yes she is wonderful! We were sisters-in-training you see. We were in the same year at the Shiotome, well, dojo and we passed our gempukku on the same day!"

The youthful exuberance was obvious and full of joy.
Otaku Imane

Postby Tonbo Misa on Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:12 pm

Misa nodded a bit, her own smile remaining bright. "I performed the tea ceremony for her, and she gifted me a very smooth mirror. I will be riding along with her on my first horse soon too!"

Sanmi (Attendant)
Tonbo Misa

Postby Otaku Imane on Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:20 am

"Then you are in excellent hands Tonbo-sama! I look forward to hearing of your experiences on horseback." Imane was pleased that her sister was making friends and looking after their relations with the Dragon.

"I am curious to learn how the tea ceremony differs between the Unicorn and the rest of the Empire. My people tend to drink coffee these days, and we have traditions associated with it too. The people of the Sands taught us this."
Otaku Imane

Postby Tonbo Misa on Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:43 am

Her head tilted like a curious puppy. "Ka-fi?" She immediately imagined the drink from the feast that helped get her sick and bit her lower lip softly before smiling.

"I cannot say of course, but to say the tea ceremony is calming and relaxing would be close to description. The tea can be delicious too. I believe Otaku-sama enjoyed it at least."

Sanmi (Attendant)
Tonbo Misa

Postby Otaku Imane on Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:27 pm

She nodded encouragingly before realising it wouldn't register. "Yes, coffee. It is a strong, rich, and bitter drink made from the beans of a plant. I am told that there are many more varieties of tea than coffee though, so I look forward to becoming more familiar with them, and finding spaces for calm and relaxation are important."

Her fingers tapped on the pommel of her sword and she looked at the Dragon's bokken again. "May I ask what style of swordsmanship you practice Tonbo-sama?" A little humour entered her voice. "Of course I am sure I will not know it...but eventually I hope to learn about all of the Empire's schools of combat."
Otaku Imane

Postby Tonbo Misa on Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:06 pm

At the question, Misa looked lightly troubled. "My... swordsmanship style comes from the Mirumoto, though not the ninten of the main family. I fear I'm not very good with a sword though, and I more practice to focus and center myself."

Sanmi (Attendant)
Tonbo Misa

Postby Otaku Imane on Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:54 pm

Imane wasn't sure about what that meant exactly. "So the Mirumoto have different styles of swordsmanship. I remember hearing something about them having a strong tradition that is different to most schools. Do the Tonbo family not have a style of their own, or did this Mirumoto school seem a better fit?"

She wandered at the possibility of sparring against lots of different schools during the miai.. "The Otaku style is suited to both battles on foot and on horseback."
Last edited by Otaku Imane on Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Otaku Imane

Postby Tonbo Misa on Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:11 pm

"The Tonbo used to be a minor clan, the Dragonfly, and Misa nodded at the lack of understanding. our only school is one to train shugenja. Since I cannot speak with the kami, I was sent to train with the Dragon as a favor to my father. The main Mirumoto style is called Ninten, a two sword style that uses both blades of the daisho for defense and further damage."

"I was trained by a smaller school called the Taoist Swordsmen. Their focus is on just the katana rather than two blades, but they are just as centered on meditation and enlightenment through simplicity and meditation." She smiled a bit again at that. "That is more what I focused on during my training.

Sanmi (Attendant)
Tonbo Misa

Next

Return to Calm Heart Dojo