A friendly game of Go [D2, LE, Open, Expecting]

Re: A friendly game of Go [D2, LE, Open, Expecting]

Postby Shinjo Monkhbaatar on Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:31 pm

Taking the pieces, he doesn't so much as blink at the minor touch, simply maintaining his pleasant demeanor and smile, nodding his thanks. He then listens intently to the explanation. "The rules seem to make sense, but I can already tell I'm going to have a difficult time with strategizing. But I will definitely be doing my best. I'll have to try my best to keep my focus on the game rather than my opponent," he replies, grinning at her playfully.
Unicorn Clan • Bushi • Fortunate • Daring
Honor: Expected • Status: 1.0 • Glory: 0.0 • Courtship: 2

Equipment: Daisho, armor, yumi, sake cup, bottle of water, knife, Meushi
Shinjo Monkhbaatar

Postby Matsu Kogo on Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:49 pm

Shinjo Monkhbaatar wrote:Taking the pieces, he doesn't so much as blink at the minor touch, simply maintaining his pleasant demeanor and smile, nodding his thanks. He then listens intently to the explanation. "The rules seem to make sense, but I can already tell I'm going to have a difficult time with strategizing. But I will definitely be doing my best. I'll have to try my best to keep my focus on the game rather than my opponent," he replies, grinning at her playfully.

Two competitions at the same time.

"Do your best. And perhaps your strategy will just have to more inventive than mine." She places the first stone more towards the center of the board, but to the right.
Lion Clan • Beastmaster • Gullible • Idealistic • Paragon: Courtesy
Honor: What is expected l Status: 1 l Glory: 1 l Courtship : 1

Carries: Wakizashi, sweets, traveling game of Go, jade

internal thoughts
Accompanied by Warcat Noburu at most times.
Matsu Kogo

Postby Shinjo Monkhbaatar on Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:56 pm

The Shinjo watches her placement and moves quickly after that, thinking he may be able to throw her off balance early by making moves that seem impulsive. But he also is thinking about trying to build some sort of defensive line.

"Perhaps. So, have you met many good potential matches here at the miai thus far?" he asks, wondering if maybe the subject might steal her focus a bit.

Shinjo Monkhbaatar

Postby Matsu Kogo on Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:03 pm

Shinjo Monkhbaatar wrote:The Shinjo watches her placement and moves quickly after that, thinking he may be able to throw her off balance early by making moves that seem impulsive. But he also is thinking about trying to build some sort of defensive line.

"Perhaps. So, have you met many good potential matches here at the miai thus far?" he asks, wondering if maybe the subject might steal her focus a bit.

She paused for a moment. Perhaps he is more of a tactician than I thought. "Assuredly. With such a variety of people, it would be impossible not to see valuable and interesting matches present. I am glad to be attending."

internal thoughts
Matsu Kogo

Postby Shinjo Monkhbaatar on Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:06 pm

"There is certainly a wide range of participants. It's a huge opportunity from how I understand it. My superiors said that I should count myself as fortunate to have such say over the spouse I'll end up with and to not waste the opportunity. So, as you can see," he inclines his head to her, "I am doing my best not to let it go to waste." He smiles at her.

Shinjo Monkhbaatar

Postby Matsu Kogo on Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:13 pm

Shinjo Monkhbaatar wrote:"There is certainly a wide range of participants. It's a huge opportunity from how I understand it. My superiors said that I should count myself as fortunate to have such say over the spouse I'll end up with and to not waste the opportunity. So, as you can see," he inclines his head to her, "I am doing my best not to let it go to waste." He smiles at her.

She is finally getting used to this...daring samurai's ways.
Don't blush, don't blush: 4d10o10k2 21

"Waste is a fearsome thing. It is good that your skill at living in the present moment has served you so well." She pauses again. "It is true, many others would not have as much say. And that each person has their own positives and negative elements. For example, any one who chose to accept me in this Miai would have to accept the Matsu name and leave his own behind. For some, that could be seen as a disadvantage. But for others, who know of the strength and honor of Matsu women, might cherish this possibility."

internal thoughts
Matsu Kogo

Postby Shinjo Monkhbaatar on Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:26 pm

His flattery and compliments weren't ever really intended as anything more than pleasant exchange. He really didn't know how difficult she was trying to not be affected by them. If he did he'd consider that very cute.

"Oh? I would have thought that the rules of the miai would have overridden any traditions by virtue of agreeing to attend?" he asked curiously. "With position being the biggest deciding factor and who chose who at the end being the second deciding factor based on the overseers' judgments. Not that I would personally have any problems with such an arrangement. It would be an honor to be able to serve one of the other clans."

Shinjo Monkhbaatar

Postby Matsu Kogo on Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:35 pm

Shinjo Monkhbaatar wrote:His flattery and compliments weren't ever really intended as anything more than pleasant exchange. He really didn't know how difficult she was trying to not be affected by them. If he did he'd consider that very cute.

"Oh? I would have thought that the rules of the miai would have overridden any traditions by virtue of agreeing to attend?" he asked curiously. "With position being the biggest deciding factor and who chose who at the end being the second deciding factor based on the overseers' judgments. Not that I would personally have any problems with such an arrangement. It would be an honor to be able to serve one of the other clans."

Kogo paused. "I hadn't recalled that, but you are correct. I am so used to thinking of things in terms of how my family works, that I had forgotten that the miai is changing all of that." She smiled at his compliment. " As it would be to be able to serve the Unicorn clan. I was fortunate enough last night to meet a member of the Otaku family and speak with them in detail. We found many similarities between our own families. It was a comfort, to know that if I married into the Unicorn clan, there might be others who had grown up in families very like mine and who would understand those ways."

internal thoughts
Matsu Kogo

Postby Shinjo Monkhbaatar on Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:43 pm

He nods to her in understanding. "The Shiotome of the Otaku are some of the noblest and capable warriors in the world. I'm glad that is seen by members of the empire," he says with a nod, placing a few more pieces that are honestly not all that well positioned for the long game.

Shinjo Monkhbaatar

Postby Matsu Kogo on Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:45 pm

Shinjo Monkhbaatar wrote:He nods to her in understanding. "The Shiotome of the Otaku are some of the noblest and capable warriors in the world. I'm glad that is seen by members of the empire," he says with a nod, placing a few more pieces that are honestly not all that well positioned for the long game.

Kogo sees a possibility for a capture with his moves. She places several near him, aiming for a string capture. "What about you Shinjo-san? Have you seen any possible marriage prospects at these events? I am sure that your company has been much sought."

internal thoughts
Matsu Kogo

Postby Shinjo Monkhbaatar on Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:50 pm

"I've met a few prospects," he says giving a nod. "In most of those cases they were chance meetings, but there are a lot of people to meet. It's good to cultivate positive relationships with as many as possible. Even if you don't end up with most of those you spend time with, you have potentially made friends and allies among clans."

Shinjo Monkhbaatar

Postby Matsu Kogo on Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:58 pm

Shinjo Monkhbaatar wrote:"I've met a few prospects," he says giving a nod. "In most of those cases they were chance meetings, but there are a lot of people to meet. It's good to cultivate positive relationships with as many as possible. Even if you don't end up with most of those you spend time with, you have potentially made friends and allies among clans."

Kogo takes a small deep breath and places her next piece. If I can place here and here, then I win the game. But what about the second competition happening here? Or maybe its not. Maybe I have mistaken things

"That is true. No matter what, it is good to cultivate relationships." She pauses for a moment, staring at the board. "What do you think many of the Unicorn are looking for in a spouse Shinjo-san?"

internal thoughts
Matsu Kogo

Postby Shinjo Monkhbaatar on Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:07 pm

"I think the most important thing that many of them are looking for is someone understanding who will be able to accept their differences. And in some cases, someone who could be comfortable living among the Unicorn if that was the way things went," he replies. "Though individuals will have different things they are looking for, I think in general most would like for the marriage to be at least an acceptable and comfortable arrangement for both individuals. Me personally? I want to be with someone who would be comfortable seeking a duty that would involve travel as we work together in service to our clan and empire."

He easily leads her into a trap on the board where in she can take many of his pieces and secure a win against him. A daring strategy that will undoubtedly... wait, that's not right.

Shinjo Monkhbaatar

Postby Matsu Kogo on Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:16 pm

Shinjo Monkhbaatar wrote:"I think the most important thing that many of them are looking for is someone understanding who will be able to accept their differences. And in some cases, someone who could be comfortable living among the Unicorn if that was the way things went," he replies. "Though individuals will have different things they are looking for, I think in general most would like for the marriage to be at least an acceptable and comfortable arrangement for both individuals. Me personally? I want to be with someone who would be comfortable seeking a duty that would involve travel as we work together in service to our clan and empire."

He easily leads her into a trap on the board where in she can take many of his pieces and secure a win against him. A daring strategy that will undoubtedly... wait, that's not right.

She searches the board, seeing the easy possibility, but not quite believing he hasn't caught it. However, she can see no problem here. She pounces and sweeps 10 of his pieces up. "I agree Shinjo-san. Flexibility will be a crucial key, as will the willingness to live in the saddle at times." She places her next piece down. "Tell me, the Otaku mentioned Wardogs that are trained by the Moto. Do they fight alongside your people, like the lionnesses of the Matsu?"

internal thoughts
Matsu Kogo

Postby Shinjo Monkhbaatar on Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:27 pm

"They do, though I imagine that it's much the same with the dogs remaining near their handlers," he says. "In combat would you ever be far from Noboru?"

Shinjo Monkhbaatar

PreviousNext

Return to Northwestern Yurts