Scary Stories to Tell In the Dark (D2, LE, Closed)

Re: Scary Stories to Tell In the Dark (D2, LE, Closed)

Postby Moto Khulun on Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:39 pm

“Creature is foul and claims to be Unicorn now, it is not! Says it took name!” she says with a growl.
Bushi | Tough | Barbaric | Wealthy | Kuge | Strange Name | Description
Status: 1.0 | Glory: 0.0 | Infamy: 0 | Honor: Untrustworthy | Theme | Courtship Points: 4
Possessions: Daisho, Sturdy Clothes (Furs and Leather), Riding Armor, Unicorn Horse, Red Steel Katana "Massacre", Nintoku's Fan
Moto Khulun

Postby Asako Hirase on Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:46 pm

"That...is in question. Please, bear with me a moment more, Moto-san."

Gaki were, he realized, probably not to blame here. Still, in the interest of being thorough and also of warning these women of a real danger, he had to touch on them, even if briefly.

"A gaki is the next option. You may have heard of them as the Hungry Dead. These are also spirits of a sort, though they are not those who have refused to pass on to judgement. Instead, they are the souls of those who have been judged by Emma-O-kami and found to be in need of atonement for sins in their past life. The form and corresponding hunger that they are given within their own Realm, Gaki-do, is often symptomatic of the sins they committed or virtues they lacked. A man who turns away the cold and hungry may be cursed to hunger for fuel to light fires in their new bodies which cause them the pain of burning, a pain which cannot stop the hunger that causes it."

Again, he frowned.

"Gaki can be dangerous. They come in various strengths and types and the intelligence left to them varies. Because of the position of Gaki-Do in the order of the Realms, some of them are even touched by Jigoku. Those hold a wholly different danger beyond mere mortal peril."
Phoenix Clan * Courtier * Widower * Single Father * Husband-elect of Shinjo Liu Yue
Glory: 1.0 Status: 1.0 Honor: What is Expected

Orange Text = Speaking Yobanjin * Description

Always Carries: Writing materials, healthy snacks, fan
Asako Hirase

Postby Moto Khulun on Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:48 pm

“Sounds like the dark stories of ghul, dead but not dead thing,” she hisses and makes a warding sign with her hands.
Status: 1.0 | Glory: 0.0 | Infamy: 0 | Honor: Untrustworthy | Theme | Courtship Points: 4
Possessions: Daisho, Sturdy Clothes (Furs and Leather), Riding Armor, Unicorn Horse, Red Steel Katana "Massacre", Nintoku's Fan
Moto Khulun

Postby Otaku Chi-Pu on Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:50 pm

Chi-Pu looks to Khulun

"They do sound similar to what the Moto know, though I do not think this beast was that. It looked unlike any spirit or animal I have ever seen. It was like a cross between things. "

Her eyes show a slight hint of fear at the recollection of the Oni's memory.

"It...It had a vile smell as well."
Unicorn Clan | Battle Maiden | Nikutai
Gullible | Can't Lie| Doubt: Kyujutsu | Allergy: Shellfish
Honor: Exceptional | Status 2.0 | Glory 0.2 | Courtship Points 2

Profile Theme

Outfit: Purple Shirt, Brown Leather Pants, Daisho
Combat: Back Banner, Dai-Kyu, Quiver, Daisho, Riding Armor
Steed: Tianma
Otaku Chi-Pu

Postby Asako Hirase on Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:56 pm

"With what you said about it saying it had one of your Names..." Here, emphasis was placed so that capital letter was unmistakeable. "I suspect it was an oni."

Grimly, he looked from one to the other.

"I will say again, this is not my field. There are Phoenix who study such things in my Family, the Asako Inquisitors, but I am not among them. Still, there are some things that are known. An Oni is a creature from the realm of Jigoku. There are many kinds. They are, in no small part, the reason that the Carpenter Wall exists and is manned at all times by at least one of the Crab's army. They come through where the Lost Brother fell and tore a whole in the world. But, that is no the only way they can come into Ningen-Do from their own Realm."

This would not please either of them, he knew, but he went doggedly on.

"It is possible for a person to give their Name to an Oni and summon it to whereever they are. It is a result of dark magic, blood magic. The most common term for that kind of spell is maho; the practitioner, a maho tsukai. I don't know how it happens, but I know that sometimes, the Oni takes the Name permanently and, it is said, the soul of the summoner with it."
Phoenix Clan * Courtier * Widower * Single Father * Husband-elect of Shinjo Liu Yue

Asako Hirase

Postby Moto Khulun on Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:03 pm

“No Unicorn would do such a fool thing,” she says confidently.

“Maybe this oni lying, how do we kill them? Massacre hurt it just fine but not all are blessed with blade as I,” she says firmly. Under the furs she grips the hilt of Massacre even tighter.
Moto Khulun

Postby Otaku Chi-Pu on Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:09 pm

Chi-Pu glares at the Asako

"As Moto-san says, No Unicorn would do such thing unless tricked. Besides, our magic comes from Meishodo, not blood."

"Why is all of this so hidden, Asako-san? It seems dishonest and insincere. We should be told all of the threats and how to beat them upfront!"

She rests her hand on her katana hilt and grips it firmly.

"The Crab, do you know if any are here? Or these Inquisitors? Who can teach us?"

Profile Theme

Otaku Chi-Pu

Postby Asako Hirase on Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:16 pm

"Your sword is..." He tried to think of a way to describe a nemuranai for someone not familiar with all the term implied. "...special? Awakened, somehow, or of a sacred substance? If so, I do not doubt it would work well. From what I understand, many Oni are difficult, sometimes impossible, to harm with plain steal or wood. Jade works, of course, and magic, but for warriors with neither, often times the end is...tragic."

He looked between them. "I am very glad you both survived."

Then he got back to the complicated part. "As to the calling...I do not know how it may have been done. I would not be surprised to learn that the entity lied; it is in it's nature to do so. It is also possible that one can do such a thing on accident, a prayer misdirected or intercepted; I would not know. The study of maho and the users of it is limited, given the danger of that knowledge. I know only that it is possible to summon and Name and oni and that often kansen, which are sort of like evil kami, are involved. For help..."

Wasn't there a Hare..? Yes, there was.

"You might ask the Hare woman. Her Clan was created to fight such threats after the great war against the Bloodspeaker. There are those of the Crab who specialize in such matters as well but, sadly, I have not seen any from that Family, the Kuni, among the guests. Still, their warriors all should have at least a basic knowledge as part of their training."

Solemn, he held each woman's gaze in turn.

"As to why it is not talked about...it is an evolution of our society over the centuries. I cannot say that it is wise, only that it is so. There are many social rituals which, strictly speaking, are impractical. The Game of Refusals, for example. The art of turning away an unwanted guest with promises of 'tomorrow'. I will say that to bring up such a topic is taboo in public in all Clans but the Crab, for whom it is an urgent Duty to know of such things. Even then, they tend to keep such discussions private where they can."

Asako Hirase

Postby Moto Khulun on Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:17 pm

She scowls and says, "Rabbit have bad meat, do not like that one."
Moto Khulun

Postby Otaku Chi-Pu on Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:22 pm

Chi-Pu sits, realizing she was the only still standing. She relaxes slightly, her grip loosening.

"What of the Crane, Asako-sama? Is there a history between their clan and ours that has been told while we were away? Perhaps they can help?"

She looks to Khulun and motions with her eyes to the woman's pocket where the ivory trinket was stored, questioning in her eyes.

Profile Theme

Otaku Chi-Pu

Postby Moto Khulun on Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:24 pm

She nods and removes the ivory object for him to see.

OOC: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=343&start=30#p5547
Moto Khulun

Postby Asako Hirase on Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:37 pm

Curious, he leaned over to see it in more detail.

"I know that Doji-no-Kami gave a parting gift to Shinjo-no-Kami before the latter's departure from the realm. A fan, as I recall. The two Kami are said to have been especially close, so it was fitting that such a gift be given as a momento."

He frowned, sure it was familiar but not quite able to place it.

"It is possible my Cousin may have read about this in her schooling. I won't speak of it to her, but you might wish to do so. Asako Yuki is her name. Otherwise, you might seek out an Ikoma. They are great historians."

*edit: Wrong dice rolled the first time, still bombed

Asako Hirase

Postby Moto Khulun on Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:41 pm

"I know enough, do not wish to cause too many questions," she says.

"Thank you, Phoenix."
Moto Khulun

Postby Otaku Chi-Pu on Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:50 pm

Chi-Pu lets out a frustrated sigh.

"You have been helpful, Asako-san. Though it seems there is still too much that is shrouded in mystery. Thank you for your words on all of this."

She closes her eyes in contemplation for a few moments before opening them again.

"As you came today to speak tales, and not give us lessons, should this tale ever be told, let it be known that Moto Khulun, Neice to the Moto Daimyo and her blade Massacre destroyed an Oni when the Unicorn returned to Rokugan. That Shinjo Taichi delivered the final blow, and Otaku Kotakuhime and Otaku Chi-Pu stood between the beast and its targets while their steeds Gekko and Tianma trampled the creature without fear."

Profile Theme

Otaku Chi-Pu

Postby Moto Khulun on Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:52 pm

She adds with a smile, "My own steed, Oguro, was not so brave as others but he did not falter when I needed him most."
Moto Khulun

PreviousNext

Return to Northwestern Yurts