The Book of the Hollow Throne aka The Wiki

The Book of the Hollow Throne aka The Wiki

Postby Kakita Nanami on Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:26 pm

Well! It took me a long time but last night I finally overcame the last few hurdles that were stopping me from bringing the old wiki back online. We're now entirely back up and operational!

The Book of the Hollow Throne (as I've taken to calling it) can be found at the following address:
http://hollowthrone.zerothedition.com/wiki/Main_Page

If you don't have an account, feel free to create one! I've temporarily removed the block I previously had in place on registration. It will remain open as such until we start to see spam problems (which I hope we don't) - if we get them again, it'll revert to having to PM me to get an account. Once you have an account, I recommend confirming your email as soon as possible as it'll remove the chance to get flagged to have to CAPTCHA test for edits.

If you need any help, feel free to ask and I'll try to respond to you as soon as I can!

(Also, Locustshell, could you pop me a PM? I have a quick question to ask re: the wiki and I'm not sure who you are on here yet!)
Crane Clan • Agasha Trained • Shugenja • Small • Description
Status: 1.0 | Glory: 1.0 | Honor: What is Expected | Courtship Points: 2
Carried: Wakizashi, Tanto, Straw Hat, Cricket in a Cage
Kakita Nanami

Re: The Book of the Hollow Throne aka The Wiki

Postby Iuchi Saksaha on Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:58 pm

I am she! Hope I didn't break something. :oops:

But I can't seem to send any PMs right now--hopefully a temporary issue. We could talk in this thread? or PM me as Suzume Kiyonori on the KS board?
Unicorn Clan • Priestess • Spiritwalker • Gives Love A Bad Name (Infamy)• Future Togashi???
Honor: What is Expected • Glory: 0 • Infamy: 0.2 • Status: 1 • Courtship Points: -1 • Description
"I'm not good, I'm not nice, I'm just right/I'm the Witch/You're the world."

Speaks Mekhem (with an Ujik-hai accent) and Rokugani.
On her person: embroidered wool robes, various dangling meishodo charms, belt pouch, kiseru, tanto, wakizashi.
Iuchi Saksaha

Postby Iuchi Saksaha on Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:41 am

Ps. The wiki is great, thanks again Nanami!

I don't know about others, but I find it a lot easier to absorb and use all that background info when it's broken up into wiki pages and hyperlinked. So I'll add another plug: if you're killing time hanging around OOC before game start, why not add a wiki page for your character(s)? (Or help update pages some of the NPCs who bit the dust in the last timeline installment? :lol: I've started working on that in spare moments, but I'm only up to the Imperials so far.)
Unicorn Clan • Priestess • Spiritwalker • Gives Love A Bad Name (Infamy)• Future Togashi???
Honor: What is Expected • Glory: 0 • Infamy: 0.2 • Status: 1 • Courtship Points: -1 • Description

On her person: embroidered wool robes, various dangling meishodo charms, belt pouch, kiseru, tanto, wakizashi.
Iuchi Saksaha

Postby Kakita Nanami on Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:30 pm

Word of warning: starting at 00:00 UTC on the 6th (that's when the clock changes over to the 8th in UTC) until 03:00 UTC of the same day, there may be some issues with the wiki. The data center my hosting is in is doing some router upgrades and has projected impact at latency and some packet loss - but I thought a warning best just in case it goes worse.
Kakita Nanami

Postby Iuchi Saksaha on Fri May 12, 2017 9:06 pm

Now that the game is over...

For anyone who's interested in fleshing out the Wiki pages for characters you've played--or adding other content, like listing the titles of all the plays and scandalous pillow books you've been chatting about!--but isn't sure how to get started, I've thrown together a Hollow Throne-specific quickstart guide to wiki editing.

With apologies to Nanami who could probably have done a more precise job of explaining the technical side, it's here: http://hollowthrone.zerothedition.com/w ... tart_Guide

Editing is actually really easy, so that's mostly a collection of the quick references I always want on hand for the job, to be honest. :D

(It's also linked from the wiki main page.)

Edit: also, feel free to hit me up if you have editing problems, though I think it's mostly pretty easy to figure out.
Last edited by Iuchi Saksaha on Fri May 12, 2017 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Iuchi Saksaha

Postby Kakita Nanami on Fri May 12, 2017 9:18 pm

I added a couple of small things that people might ask questions about to the Quick Start Guide - combo italic-bold text, potential problems with images, and two Table of Content tricks (placing it where you want it and removing it entirely).
Kakita Nanami

Postby Seppun Hitako on Sun May 14, 2017 6:59 am

Filled out a lot of Taromitsu, and added Mirumoto Toshi, though I haven't linked it to anything, if anyone want's to do that. I'm not sure how.
Seppun Hitako
Imperial • Shugenja • Sahir • Friendly Jinn
Honor: What is expected • Glory: 1 • Status: 1.5 • Courtship: 9
Mekhem
Seppun Hitako

Postby Kakita Nanami on Sun May 14, 2017 11:31 am

I'm working on getting some sort of semblance of order/consistency to the categories. I'll be editing where necessary but I'm trying to establish roughly the following order:

Current Clan
Games They Were In
Living/Dead Status
Birth Year
Death Year
Others

Additionally, when forwarding a page, please do your best to move the existing categories as well, changing those that're needed (for example, if you marry into another clan, changing the current clan).

In the coming weeks/months (don't take a promise of how long it will be), I'll work on getting the layout back up to what it's supposed to be too.
Kakita Nanami

Postby Ide Amaya on Sun May 14, 2017 12:06 pm

Kakita Nanami wrote:Additionally, when forwarding a page, please do your best to move the existing categories as well, changing those that're needed (for example, if you marry into another clan, changing the current clan).

I kinda disagree with this?

I've got a page and a redirect for Amaya.

The page Ide Amaya is a redirect page, but I've left it in the categories Unicorn Clan and Dark Edge Village where she can easily be found and recognised as an ex-Unicorn and participant in that game; while her new identity is in the Ronin category, but not the Dark Edge Village category, because she wasn't know as such then and her name wouldn't mean anything to anyone looking at the participant list... does that make sense?

It's a way of retaining old affiliations without having to manually update anything.
• Unicorn Courtier • [Profile - Updated 4/29]
• Small • Gullible • Voice • Inner Gift (Animal Ken) • Love Actuary •
• Honor: Expected • Status: 1.0 • Infamy: 0.2 • Glory: 0.0 • Courtship: 5 •
Carries: Wakazashi, Seppun Fan, Personal Chop, Book of Poetry, Hand Mirror, Wooden Hair Comb, Partial Makeup Kit, Satsujin - a weasel.

Image Tokma - a Gaijin riding horse
Ide Amaya

Postby Iuchi Saksaha on Sun May 14, 2017 1:49 pm

I'm neutral on whether redirect pages need categories (in the case of characters whose names change between games, they'll still be listed on the actual wiki page for the game under their old name, anyway) and on whether categories appear in any particular order.

But in the interest of preserving useful data I'm very much a fan of leaving categories for former clan/faction affiliations on characters' pages along with current ones. It should be obvious from the character name and the content of the page which Clan they currently belong to, and it's useful/interesting to be able to find them under their old Clan's category as well. Taking out old Clan categories removes information that still has value, imo.

Ps. Hitako, links are very easy--just put [[double brackets]] around any word you want to make into a link!

Iuchi Saksaha

Postby Ide Amaya on Sun May 14, 2017 2:01 pm

To my mind, it comes down to automation. If all characters present in a game have a page and that page is in the game category, then you don't need to generate a list: it's already there.

It also affects dpl if you decide to start using that.
Carries: Wakazashi, Seppun Fan, Personal Chop, Book of Poetry, Hand Mirror, Wooden Hair Comb, Partial Makeup Kit, Satsujin - a weasel.

Ide Amaya

Postby Asako Hirase on Sun May 14, 2017 2:46 pm

...I just realized that this is in fact a NEW wiki, not the old one.

That is tragic, because I had a lot of things written up on the old one and I really quail at the idea of redoing it, especially for my two most active PCs...

Ah, well. A project for downtime!
Phoenix Clan * Courtier * Widower * Single Father * Husband-elect of Shinjo Liu Yue
Glory: 1.0 Status: 1.0 Honor: What is Expected

Orange Text = Speaking Yobanjin * Description

Always Carries: Writing materials, healthy snacks, fan
Asako Hirase

Postby Iuchi Saksaha on Sun May 14, 2017 2:51 pm

Asako Hirase wrote:...I just realized that this is in fact a NEW wiki, not the old one.

That is tragic, because I had a lot of things written up on the old one and I really quail at the idea of redoing it, especially for my two most active PCs...

Ah, well. A project for downtime!

The old wiki went the way of wikispaces becoming a pay site, I think? Before my time. :(

It would probably be possible to chip in for a month of the service and use that time to strip all the content off the old wiki for later uploading to the new one. But even if others of us were willing to shoulder the cost and re-uploading and so on, I don't know how much of a hassle that'd be for Mindshred.

Iuchi Saksaha

Postby Ide Amaya on Sun May 14, 2017 2:55 pm

It might not work, but give the Wayback Machine a try and see if your content has been archived. You'll have to do all the layout and formatting again, and it might not be the last version, but it beats starting from scratch.

Ide Amaya

Postby Iuchi Saksaha on Sun May 14, 2017 2:57 pm

Ide Amaya wrote:It might not work, but give the Wayback Machine a try and see if your content has been archived. You'll have to do all the layout and formatting again, and it might not be the last version, but it beats starting from scratch.

Alas, I actually remember checking that out a while ago (during my first game, maybe)? but Wayback Machine only snapshots the main page, I believe.

Iuchi Saksaha

Next

Return to Out of Character Chat