Star Wars: Nar Shaddaa Preview Extravaganza Time

Re: Star Wars: Nar Shaddaa Preview Extravaganza Time

Postby Moto Khulun on Sat May 13, 2017 8:36 pm

Tonbo Misa wrote:I think the well rounded ring approach from L5R has me a bit spoiled, I can't get myself to be super specialized enough to get 4 in a trait, let alone over 2 in a skill. I suppose I'd rather have 3+1 for 4-5 things than 4+3 for 1-2. The points do really go fast though, even if 175 feels like a lot.

Well rounded works here too.
Yogo Mizuki wrote:This brings a question.

"Returning characters are free to reprise and new characters will be built on the standard point total and then add 65 experience points."

Is that 65 considered part of character creation or after (ie can it be spent on Traits)?

It cannot be spent on traits, it is considered post character creation XP but it can take a skill above 2.
Bushi | Tough | Barbaric | Wealthy | Kuge | Strange Name | Description
Status: 1.0 | Glory: 0.0 | Infamy: 0 | Honor: Untrustworthy | Theme | Courtship Points: 4
Possessions: Daisho, Sturdy Clothes (Furs and Leather), Riding Armor, Unicorn Horse, Red Steel Katana "Massacre", Nintoku's Fan
Moto Khulun

Postby Yogo Mizuki on Sat May 13, 2017 9:24 pm

Setting question for background purposes: Is execution a punishment in the Republic?

If not, what is the most extreme form of punishment?
Scorpion Merchant * Kuge * Blessed By Daikoku * Wealthy * Black Sheep

Honor: Untrustworthy * Status: 3.0 * Glory: 1.0 * Infamy: 0.2 Courtship Points: 6
Yogo Mizuki

Postby Moto Khulun on Sat May 13, 2017 9:30 pm

Yogo Mizuki wrote:Setting question for background purposes: Is execution a punishment in the Republic?

If not, what is the most extreme form of punishment?

It can happen, it's not common on the core worlds, remember the Republic is just a collection of autonomous states that agree to work together and work under an umbrella of rules and laws. Some worlds and civilizations may have more extreme justice systems than others.

In general they tend to do incarceration, but execution is possible.
Status: 1.0 | Glory: 0.0 | Infamy: 0 | Honor: Untrustworthy | Theme | Courtship Points: 4
Possessions: Daisho, Sturdy Clothes (Furs and Leather), Riding Armor, Unicorn Horse, Red Steel Katana "Massacre", Nintoku's Fan
Moto Khulun

Postby Moto Khulun on Sat May 13, 2017 10:59 pm

I apologize for not making it clearer but the the extra 65 XP is spent after building the base character with the starting xp. So if human spend the 110 first on your stats and skills and talents and then add the 65. The 65 XP can be used on skills and talents really and Force Powers or whatever but not to increase stats unless you get Dedication.
Moto Khulun

Postby Iuchi Yukarin on Sun May 14, 2017 2:24 am

Question about the Gand species; Am I correct that the ammonia breathing Gand can speak other languages, but the lungless ones can only speak their native clicking language?
Unicorn Clan · Courtier · Merchant · Lucky! · Blingin' · Pacifist · Greedy · Scholar · Nerd · Shellfish Allergy · Gambler · Queen of Commerce
Honor: Expected | Glory: 0.0 | Infamy 0.1 | Status: 1.0 | Courtship Points: 8
carries: wakizashi, dice & cup, heirloom jewelry, pearl & jade necklace, tiny Daikoku statue, coin purse, hand fan, silk umbrella, bottle of shochu, sake cups, personal seal
profile · full summer robes
Iuchi Yukarin

Postby Moto Khulun on Sun May 14, 2017 2:27 am

Iuchi Yukarin wrote:Question about the Gand species; Am I correct that the ammonia breathing Gand can speak other languages, but the lungless ones can only speak their native clicking language?

That is correct.
Moto Khulun

Postby Iuchi Yukarin on Sun May 14, 2017 2:44 am

Followup question then;

What items/gear (besides a protocol droid) could be used to translate for a lungless Gand? A datapad?
Unicorn Clan · Courtier · Merchant · Lucky! · Blingin' · Pacifist · Greedy · Scholar · Nerd · Shellfish Allergy · Gambler · Queen of Commerce
carries: wakizashi, dice & cup, heirloom jewelry, pearl & jade necklace, tiny Daikoku statue, coin purse, hand fan, silk umbrella, bottle of shochu, sake cups, personal seal
Iuchi Yukarin

Postby Shinjo Liu Yue on Sun May 14, 2017 2:46 am

I think that might fall under the category of items that you just have. That being said, Dapper might have other ideas xD
Unicorn - Bushi - Horrible Burns - Missing Left Arm - Damaged Eye - Rather Tall - Unfamiliar (Gaijin) Name - Dauntless
Status 1.0 - Glory 2.0 / Infamy 0.2 - Honour: Untrustworthy - Courtship: 5
Languages: Mekhem, Yobanjin

Typically Carries: Sturdy Clothing, Daisho, Fan, Small Hand Mirror, Finger of Jade, Coin Purse, Small Knife, Medicine Kit, Sake Cup

Riding Horse: Hikazume, Puppy: Gon
Shinjo Liu Yue

Postby Moto Khulun on Sun May 14, 2017 2:55 am

Iuchi Yukarin wrote:Followup question then;

What items/gear (besides a protocol droid) could be used to translate for a lungless Gand? A datapad?

Datapad or universal translator, either is fine to just have. Many people may just understand the Gand, but that is up to the players/NPCs.
Moto Khulun

Postby Iuchi Yukarin on Sun May 14, 2017 3:23 am

Cool; I was thinking of making a Gand techie that did all his speaking text-to-speech, so it's helpful to know.

Otherwise, one kind of general question for a different concept; What's the best weapon for a noble thief type character? Something easy to hide and based on Agility seems to point to a holdout pistol, but don't they give bright flashes and loud "pews" like any other blaster still? Not to mention I imagine it would take a lot of shots on "stun setting" to disable someone and having reduced range on the shortest ranged range weapon in the game. A couple times melee weapons were brought up for being silent and easy to hide (for some), and that fits the concept... but raising Brawn on top of already raising Cunning and Agility for thieving skills seems harder to justify.

Suggestions? XD
Iuchi Yukarin

Postby Shinjo Liu Yue on Sun May 14, 2017 3:31 am

Blasters are kind of loud, yes. I believe stun setting makes them much quieter. Keep in mind that minions and such typically take a lot less to take down than player characters. Amusingly, rivals don't take strain so they would take the same amount of damage too.

I see the problem with the melee weapon thing though. I think shooting them might be best for you if you already have agility lined up for you.
Unicorn - Bushi - Horrible Burns - Missing Left Arm - Damaged Eye - Rather Tall - Unfamiliar (Gaijin) Name - Dauntless
Status 1.0 - Glory 2.0 / Infamy 0.2 - Honour: Untrustworthy - Courtship: 5

Typically Carries: Sturdy Clothing, Daisho, Fan, Small Hand Mirror, Finger of Jade, Coin Purse, Small Knife, Medicine Kit, Sake Cup

Riding Horse: Hikazume, Puppy: Gon
Shinjo Liu Yue

Postby Yogo Mizuki on Sun May 14, 2017 3:57 am

EDIT: Nevermind. I figured it out.
Scorpion Merchant * Kuge * Blessed By Daikoku * Wealthy * Black Sheep

Honor: Untrustworthy * Status: 3.0 * Glory: 1.0 * Infamy: 0.2 Courtship Points: 6
Yogo Mizuki

Postby Ide Samai on Sun May 14, 2017 6:30 am

Hm, can the Stim Application Talent (Doctor, Medic) be use outside of combat?

*plan C for a doctor addicted to his own Medicine*
Unicorn Emissary * Gaijin Rose * Storyteller
Honor: What is expected * Status: 2.0 * Glory: 0.0 * Courtship: 2
Carries: Wakizashi, Fan, perfume (rose), coin purse
Ide Samai

Postby Asako Yuki on Sun May 14, 2017 8:53 am

That brings to mind a question. How are we dealing with the vast myriad of languages in Star Wars? If I remember correctly there's only one thing mechanically speaking which allows you to understand another language (Speak Binary). How will we be dealing with people Speaking/Understanding languages like Gand, Wookie, or (perhaps most importantly, given the setting) Huttese?
Asako Yuki • Phoenix Clan • Bushi • Dangerously Beautiful • Gullible
Status: 1.0 | Glory: 1.0 | Honor: What is Expected | Courtship Points: 5

Carries: Daisho, Smoking Pipe, necklace
Asako Yuki

Postby Moto Khulun on Sun May 14, 2017 9:58 am

Asako Yuki wrote:That brings to mind a question. How are we dealing with the vast myriad of languages in Star Wars? If I remember correctly there's only one thing mechanically speaking which allows you to understand another language (Speak Binary). How will we be dealing with people Speaking/Understanding languages like Gand, Wookie, or (perhaps most importantly, given the setting) Huttese?

It's up to the players, many people are polyglots apparently in Star Wars. If you want to understand you can, there may be times where the GM says you just don't understand but most modern languages either have translators or people understand them or don't.
Ide Samai wrote:Hm, can the Stim Application Talent (Doctor, Medic) be use outside of combat?

*plan C for a doctor addicted to his own Medicine*

Sure as long as they suffer the strain, sure.
Moto Khulun

PreviousNext

Return to Out of Character Chat