Boys' Night In (D10, LE, Butaj's Yurt)

Re: Boys' Night In (D10, LE, Butaj's Yurt)

Postby Moto Butaj on Sun May 07, 2017 2:04 pm

"No, they wrestled." Butaj frowns. "Lady Shinjo told so." But he doesn't linger on it. "Maybe it is as you say. Things are dealt with differently than with the peoples of the Sands. There's something similar there, called tahaddi, with knives rather than swords, but the Unicorn have not adopted it."
Scorpion Clan | Bushi | Big Bad Keshig | Black Horse | Slacker | Soul of the Steppe | Honest
Profile | Expected Honor | Status 1 | Glory 0

Has: furs & leathers, daisho, knife, one of musical instruments, skin of kumis, keepsake, Yuki's fan
Sometimes also: bow, horse, light armor, other musical instruments, tent
Moto Butaj

Postby Asako Hirase on Sun May 07, 2017 2:13 pm

"Knives?" That was intriguing, to say the least. It would never catch on, but it was very interesting. "Are they a more common weapon because of that tradition?"
Phoenix Clan * Courtier * Widower * Single Father * Husband-elect of Shinjo Liu Yue
Glory: 1.0 Status: 1.0 Honor: What is Expected

Orange Text = Speaking Yobanjin * Description

Always Carries: Writing materials, healthy snacks, fan
Asako Hirase

Postby Moto Butaj on Sun May 07, 2017 2:19 pm

Butaj nods. "Knife fighters are the duellists of the Sands. Butaj heard that knifes are common weapon in the Jewel of the Desert."
Scorpion Clan | Bushi | Big Bad Keshig | Black Horse | Slacker | Soul of the Steppe | Honest

Has: furs & leathers, daisho, knife, one of musical instruments, skin of kumis, keepsake, Yuki's fan
Moto Butaj

Postby Asako Hirase on Sun May 07, 2017 2:22 pm

"How intriguing..." Now he couldn't help but wonder how it would shape society if everyone simply used their tools to duel instead of sacred blades. Did that elevate knives beyond mere tools? Would they become showpieces, passed down? "How did the Unicorn duel, then, if they didn't pick up this...Tahaddi?"
Phoenix Clan * Courtier * Widower * Single Father * Husband-elect of Shinjo Liu Yue

Asako Hirase

Postby Moto Butaj on Sun May 07, 2017 2:25 pm

"Bariqu, of course. Hasn't Butaj told you already?" Butaj could swear he has, but he is tipsy a bit so he can't be too sure.

Moto Butaj

Postby Asako Hirase on Sun May 07, 2017 2:27 pm

"In among themselves, hai...but...what if you met someone from another group and had to settle things?" It had to have happened at least once....right? "How did Shinjo-no-Kami manage to win over the Ujik-hai if not with a duel to stop them from going to all-out war?"

Asako Hirase

Postby Moto Butaj on Sun May 07, 2017 2:30 pm

"Bloody battle. She slew fifty or a hundred with her own hand. The Ujik-hai only yielded when defeated. This was like this in most cases in the Sands. This is why we have many families of warriors. Sometimes the Ide succeeded to talk someone down or strike a deal, sometimes the Iuchi tricked the foe, but it was the Clan that duelled as a whole. Or so Butaj thinks it was, oral traditions tell so."

Moto Butaj

Postby Asako Hirase on Sun May 07, 2017 2:50 pm

Slowly the other man nodded. It was no surprise, really...that was how early 'negotiation' with the Yobanjin had gone, according to the records he'd seen. "At least it was a union in the end and the peoples were not killed entirely. Otherwise, you would not be here, and that would be a tragedy!"

Asako Hirase

Postby Moto Butaj on Sun May 07, 2017 3:14 pm

Butaj ponders it a little, then smiles. "It looks like it." He smiles broad, and gets up to put both hands on Hirase's shoulders. "You're a great friend, Hirase. I am avery fortunate man that a close friend of my beloved has become my close friend too."

Moto Butaj

Postby Asako Hirase on Sun May 07, 2017 4:03 pm

Grinning up at his young friend, Hirase nodded.

"I think you will make a fine Phoenix, Butaj-san. And I look forward to calling you Cousin, at least for a brief time. Do not think you will be free of me after this miai, either...I will be hounding you and Yuki with letters for years to come."

Asako Hirase

Postby Moto Butaj on Sun May 07, 2017 4:50 pm

"We both will have families across clans. My sister Gortun will be here, and I want my children to know the steppe. So not just letters. Good horse makes travelling better and faster. We won't be far apart." He chuckles, taking his hands off. "I'll be a good Phoenix. Maybe not the one your family expects, but good for them anyway."

Moto Butaj

Postby Asako Hirase on Sun May 07, 2017 5:35 pm

"They could use the challenge you present." Hirase stood too and, briefly, slung an arm over his friend's shoulders. "Now, though, we should go see how the Lion handled the challenge of getting enough alcohol for everyone with no traders in sight."

Asako Hirase

Postby Moto Butaj on Sun May 07, 2017 5:46 pm

Butaj nods in agreement. "I have Nintoku to defeat. We've agreed on a match a week ago, so I have a very good reason to go." He nods. "Let's."

Moto Butaj

Previous

Return to Northwestern Yurts