(Day 10, EE) Cherry on Top (Expecting)

(Day 10, EE) Cherry on Top (Expecting)

Postby Moto Butaj on Thu May 04, 2017 2:59 pm

Butaj is riding through the village streets looking for the powder blue kimono somewhere among the people. He has looked in other places so she should be somewhere here.
Scorpion Clan | Bushi | Big Bad Keshig | Black Horse | Slacker | Soul of the Steppe | Honest
Profile | Expected Honor | Status 1 | Glory 0

Has: furs & leathers, daisho, knife, one of musical instruments, skin of kumis, keepsake, Yuki's fan
Sometimes also: bow, horse, light armor, other musical instruments, tent
Moto Butaj

Re: (Day 10, EE) Cherry on Top (Expecting)

Postby Doji Ameka on Thu May 04, 2017 3:13 pm

Ameka was moving along the streets, brows knit, looking thoughtful. Not especially happy, for certain. Still when she saw a familiar facing riding through the streets of the village, she smiled a little and bowed. "Moto-san, good evening."
Crane Clan | Artisan | Bad Health | Confectioner

Honor: What is expected | Glory: 1.0 | Status: 1.0 | Courtship Points: 4

Equipment: Wakizashi, fan, candy sculptures, parasol, beautiful clothing
Doji Ameka

Postby Moto Butaj on Thu May 04, 2017 3:17 pm

Butaj nods from the saddle in a greeting, then dismounts near her. His smile is a bit dispirited. "Butaj has been looking for Doji Ameka. Have you been well?"
Scorpion Clan | Bushi | Big Bad Keshig | Black Horse | Slacker | Soul of the Steppe | Honest

Has: furs & leathers, daisho, knife, one of musical instruments, skin of kumis, keepsake, Yuki's fan
Moto Butaj

Postby Doji Ameka on Thu May 04, 2017 3:21 pm

"I'm not at my worst," she says, her own smile slightly wan. Still, concern for his own dispirited disposition was overwhelming her own worries at the moment. She cants her head slightly and looks concerned. "Is there something I can help with, perhaps?"

Doji Ameka

Postby Moto Butaj on Thu May 04, 2017 3:25 pm

"Butaj would like to have your attention for a time, for talk. We can walk maybe, or Doji Ameka may even ride atop Huludai as Butaj leads him walking nearby?" He tries to summon his mirth but it works just a little. His eyes are full of worry.

Moto Butaj

Postby Doji Ameka on Thu May 04, 2017 3:28 pm

"We can walk... I don't have my hakama, anyway," she says with a smile and a nod, trying to be cheerful enough to bring up their spirits a little. "I'm happy to talk about whatever you'd like, Moto-san."

Doji Ameka

Postby Moto Butaj on Thu May 04, 2017 3:46 pm

"Butaj saw how ladies can ride sitting sideways in saddle, without parting legs. The offer stands if you tire. " Butaj pauses. "This is good. For there are serious subjects Butaj would like to discuss. Like what Doji Ameka thinks about romantic love. Is it important among married couples or not so much? Butaj heard how you sang to Shinjo Taichi and wonders how meaningful it was for you. Because that singing was differently meaningful to different people." He looks at her, trying to read from her face.

Moto Butaj

Postby Doji Ameka on Thu May 04, 2017 4:00 pm

She smiled a little. "I appreciate that, and may take you up on it." As they walk and he talks about romantic love, a cloud passes over her expression. "Marriage is a matter of politics and Duty, Moto-san. Outside of situations like this, many people's marriages are arranged by other people without them even necessarily meeting their spouse... Sometimes even when they're young children. In this case, the onus is on us to choose the best spouse to serve the needs of our Clan, whether we are joining theirs or bringing them into ours. Romantic love is pleasant, and it is nice if Duty and love coincide, but that situation is very rare," she said. "It's usually best if you and your spouse are at least friends, and can coordinate the running of your household well."

"As far as that goes, I let the fortunes decide who I sang to."

Doji Ameka

Postby Moto Butaj on Thu May 04, 2017 4:16 pm

He listens intently, and stiffens internally. Making little of the song worries him even more. In this she's like Fukawa, through and through. So the Doji are the same. Or maybe Ameka is even worse, Fukawa at least sang for Akil genuinely... or so he thinks. "Butaj knows it is how it has worked in the East. But Butaj comes from different upbringing, and love is important for Butaj. The Moto have long been choosing their future spouses by abducting those in love with them and carrying into the steppe, or chasing on horses until caught... With the rules as they are, the points decide. And since Doji Ameka's artistry has advanced her in points, Butaj has to consider what it means for him."

Moto Butaj

Postby Doji Ameka on Thu May 04, 2017 4:27 pm

She lowers her eyes. "If anyone had shown interest in me... if I had found love, I would have chosen them. I would have sung for them. Or they would have chosen me... Maybe. I didn't start in high favor for good reason. Despite the way it's supposed to work, I think everyone longs to find love and to be able to be with them within the bounds of Duty... The advantage of this miai, I suppose, is that it means some of the participants have a chance for that," she says with a soft sigh. "I have a cruel fate, so I suppose it colors my responses sometimes. My apologies."

It was entirely more honesty about her future than she was used to sharing.

Doji Ameka

Postby Moto Butaj on Thu May 04, 2017 4:37 pm

Butaj moves closer to Ameka to look at her more intently. His tension disappears, his compassionate side taking over. He has big weak spot for suffering of young maidens. The way Ameka phrases things grips at his heart. "Butaj hasn't been ranked high either, mostly because he is a bastard his family doesn't like too much because of it." Honesty for honesty. Hey, he would be honest anyway. "Butaj is really surprised and deeply sad that Doji Ameka has not been pursued. She has many endearing qualities. Is it because of..." He looks at her intently. "...frailty?"

Moto Butaj

Postby Doji Ameka on Thu May 04, 2017 4:47 pm

She smiles sadly. "Your gregarious and friendly nature has endeared you to many people, though, I'm sure. I'm sure some maiden is waiting with baited breath for tomorrow to choose you," she assures with a half smile. If he hadn't found someone, she would be genuinely shocked. "Perhaps. I'm sure it's not terribly appealing to have a wife who will only be around a few more years."

Doji Ameka

Postby Moto Butaj on Thu May 04, 2017 5:05 pm

His smile grows fond as she mentions his maiden waiting for him with baited breath but her final conclusion steals air from his lungs. "How... how do you even know this? It may not be true at all!" He cannot help grasping her shoulder gently.

Moto Butaj

Postby Doji Ameka on Thu May 04, 2017 5:09 pm

She looks up at him with a sad smile. "I appreciate your optimism, Moto-san. But I'm very vulnerable to injury, and in high stress situations, sometimes my muscles seize up and twitch uncontrollably. I'm sure it's not difficult to image what that means for childbirth."

Doji Ameka

Postby Moto Butaj on Fri May 05, 2017 3:45 am

"You should not be having them then!" Butaj avers, but then realises what's the problem with the concept of foreclosing having babies for someone attending a miai in particular, and for a young woman in general. And he is deeply distraught, trying to find the right thing to say. "There must be some way for this not to happen...!"

Moto Butaj

Next

Return to The Streets of Dark Edge Village