GM Questions

Re: GM Questions

Postby Moto Butaj on Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:36 pm

Mechanical question: Is it okay to add +1k1 from VP to Unskilled roll or the VP has to go to make it Skilled?
Scorpion Clan | Bushi | Big Bad Keshig | Black Horse | Slacker | Soul of the Steppe | Honest
Profile | Expected Honor | Status 1 | Glory 0

Has: furs & leathers, daisho, knife, one of musical instruments, skin of kumis, keepsake, Yuki's fan
Sometimes also: bow, horse, light armor, other musical instruments, tent
Moto Butaj

Postby Iuchi Saksaha on Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:38 pm

Moto Butaj wrote:Mechanical question: Is it okay to add +1k1 from VP to Unskilled roll or the VP has to go to make it Skilled?

You can do it, but your dice still don't explode and you still can't call raises (as normal for unskilled rolls).
Unicorn Clan • Priestess • Spiritwalker • Gives Love A Bad Name (Infamy)• Future Togashi???
Honor: What is Expected • Glory: 0 • Infamy: 0.2 • Status: 1 • Courtship Points: -1 • Description
"I'm not good, I'm not nice, I'm just right/I'm the Witch/You're the world."

Speaks Mekhem (with an Ujik-hai accent) and Rokugani.
On her person: embroidered wool robes, various dangling meishodo charms, belt pouch, kiseru, tanto, wakizashi.
Iuchi Saksaha

Postby Mindshred on Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:43 pm

Iuchi Saksaha wrote:In that case, for magic of shortish duration like Reversal of Fortunes, can one casting carry you through multiple challenge rolls? Or is it one challenge roll/one casting?

For this event, so long as it lasts more than 1 round, we'll say that it will carry you through.
Mindshred

Postby Otaku Kitakuhime on Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:38 pm

Do we have access to the Stable (thread is locked)?
Unicorn Clan • Kuge • Shiotome • Heir • Benten's Blessing • Dangerous Beauty • Contrary • Gullible • Overconfident
Status: 4.0 | Glory: 0.2 | Honor: Strength of a Thousand Ancestors | Courtship Points: 6
Carries: Ornamented Choker, Sturdy Clothing, Daisho, Riding Armor + Daikyu + Quiver (when appropriate) • ProfileTheme
Carried by: Gekko (Otaku Battle Steed, where appropriate)

Otaku Kitakuhime

Postby Ide Amaya on Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:46 pm

Wouldn't you be creating a new thread, not posting in the description thread?
• Unicorn Courtier • [Profile - Updated 4/29]
• Small • Gullible • Voice • Inner Gift (Animal Ken) • Love Actuary •
• Honor: Expected • Status: 1.0 • Infamy: 0.2 • Glory: 0.0 • Courtship: 5 •
Carries: Wakazashi, Seppun Fan, Personal Chop, Book of Poetry, Hand Mirror, Wooden Hair Comb, Partial Makeup Kit, Satsujin - a weasel.

Image Tokma - a Gaijin riding horse
Ide Amaya

Postby Otaku Kitakuhime on Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:50 pm

Doh... sorry.

*hides in shame*
Unicorn Clan • Kuge • Shiotome • Heir • Benten's Blessing • Dangerous Beauty • Contrary • Gullible • Overconfident
Status: 4.0 | Glory: 0.2 | Honor: Strength of a Thousand Ancestors | Courtship Points: 6
Carries: Ornamented Choker, Sturdy Clothing, Daisho, Riding Armor + Daikyu + Quiver (when appropriate) • ProfileTheme
Carried by: Gekko (Otaku Battle Steed, where appropriate)

Otaku Kitakuhime

Postby Soshi Taira on Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:08 pm

Can I use the poison emphasis to try and medicine people with food poisoning?

Also what would I roll here to search for medicinal components since I can't buy them, apparently (didn't notice that bit until game started) viewtopic.php?f=35&t=329#p4867
Scorpion Clan :: Good Cop :: Doctor :: Paragon :: Pragmatic :: Spirit-Touched :: Cursed
Honor: Untrustworthy Status: 1.0 Glory: 3.0 CP: 2
Carries: Daisho, medical satchel, black and red kimono, tall collar 'mask', ink-splotched fan
Now treating: Patient No.18

Description:: Theme:: Struggle
Soshi Taira

Postby Shimizu Ryori on Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:46 pm

I guess now is the time to ask.

It says if multiple people tie for first in an event they all get the courtship points for first.
But if two people tie for first does the person with the next score down get 2nd or 3rd?

Shimizu Ryori | Lion Clan | Bushi | Beastmaster | Touched By Chikishudo

+ Honor Expected - Status 1.0 - Glory 1.0 - Courtship Points : 2 +

Court: Wakizashi, Nice Kimono
Field: Armor, Sturdy Clothes, Daisho, Yumi + Quiver, Traveling Pack
Pack: Spare Rations, Canteen, Rope, Net, Blanket
Both: Bag of Sweets, Matsu Kyra - (Warcat)

Shimizu Ryori

Postby Mindshred on Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:58 pm

Soshi Taira wrote:Can I use the poison emphasis to try and medicine people with food poisoning?

Sure.

Also what would I roll here to search for medicinal components since I can't buy them, apparently (didn't notice that bit until game started) viewtopic.php?f=35&t=329#p4867

You would need the Herbalism emphasis for that, as well as a well-tended herb garden or other area of significant vegetation. The rolling plains are unfortunately not that place.

Shimizu Ryori wrote:I guess now is the time to ask.

It says if multiple people tie for first in an event they all get the courtship points for first.
But if two people tie for first does the person with the next score down get 2nd or 3rd?

Per the rules description on points, they would get second.
Mindshred

Postby Iuchi Saksaha on Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:14 pm

Mindshred wrote:
Soshi Taira wrote:Also what would I roll here to search for medicinal components since I can't buy them, apparently (didn't notice that bit until game started) viewtopic.php?f=35&t=329#p4867

You would need the Herbalism emphasis for that, as well as a well-tended herb garden or other area of significant vegetation. The rolling plains are unfortunately not that place.

This is good to know--I was thinking of picking up that Emphasis later, but this means it won't in fact be usable anywhere in this particular game?
Unicorn Clan • Priestess • Spiritwalker • Gives Love A Bad Name (Infamy)• Future Togashi???
Honor: What is Expected • Glory: 0 • Infamy: 0.2 • Status: 1 • Courtship Points: -1 • Description

On her person: embroidered wool robes, various dangling meishodo charms, belt pouch, kiseru, tanto, wakizashi.
Iuchi Saksaha

Postby Iuchi Saksaha on Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:24 pm

Oh, also! Sorry for the double post, but I've never played a PC who crafts stuff before and I don't know the procedure. Can crafting rolls/activity happen during time slots when you've got another thread, if the action of that thread would only take up part of the full three hours? Or does it need a dedicated time slot, or even a dedicated on-screen thread?

Iuchi Saksaha

Postby Mindshred on Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:29 pm

Iuchi Saksaha wrote:
Mindshred wrote:
Soshi Taira wrote:Also what would I roll here to search for medicinal components since I can't buy them, apparently (didn't notice that bit until game started) viewtopic.php?f=35&t=329#p4867

This is good to know--I was thinking of picking up that Emphasis later, but this means it won't in fact be usable anywhere in this particular game?

Correct.

Iuchi Saksaha wrote:Oh, also! Sorry for the double post, but I've never played a PC who crafts stuff before and I don't know the procedure. Can crafting rolls/activity happen during time slots when you've got another thread, if the action of that thread would only take up part of the full three hours? Or does it need a dedicated time slot, or even a dedicated on-screen thread?

So.

Crafting in L5R sucks.

Generally speaking, we just say that it takes an appropriate amount of time and then a roll at the end, usually TN 10 or 15, depending upon complexity, with Raises for further awesomeness.

You can do that on- or off-screen, and you can totes talk to people while it's going on.
Mindshred

Postby Iuchi Saksaha on Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:33 pm

Okay, thanks!

If it matters, I was thinking specifically of Meishodo, which if I'm not wildly misremembering does specify that it takes one hour/spell rank. But I think that is enough guidance to go on!

Iuchi Saksaha

Postby Yuzuki on Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:58 pm

Question on grapples:

If you take control of a grapple by passing the contested roll, does that count as your turn, meaning you can only take actions on the following turn; or does it not count as your action, and you can take action immediately?

If its the former; say you pass the contested roll, and the grapple moves over into the next turn. You have the highest initiative. Can you then take action without passing another contested roll since the one not in control is only attempting to take back control on *their* turn?
Mantis Clan • Bushi • Cursed • Easily Distracted • Tough • Eccentric • Fashionable
Glory: 3.0 • Status 1.0 • Honor: Untrustworthy • CP: 1
Carries: Daisho, Kama(2x), odds & ends.
Wears: Expensive kimono, haori, hakama, Light armor when appropriate.
Yuzuki / Kon
Yuzuki

Postby Kitsune Kumahime on Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:06 pm

As I understand it, taking control of the grapple is, itself, an action, so you can't take control and take a grapple action in the same turn. It's just the only option available to you if you're not in control at the start of the turn.

Otherwise, the person who initiates the grapple is at a disadvantage because the person they're grappling has the first shot at taking a grapple action.

But yes, need clarification on grapple rules. This is a unique occurrence in the history of RPGs.
Fox Clan • Bushi • Large • Gullible • Student of the Proud Bear • Amateur Veterinarian • One Eye
Status 1.0 • Glory 1.0 • Honor 3.5 • Courtship 0
Carries: Daisho, tanto, medicine kit
Kitsune Kumahime

PreviousNext

Return to Out of Character Chat