Life Choices (D9, Early Aft, Samai's Tent, CLOSED)

Life Choices (D9, Early Aft, Samai's Tent, CLOSED)

Postby Asako Hirase on Mon May 01, 2017 10:08 am

Hirase had been thwarted in his desire to ask a certain question of Akil the day before. As he'd thought of it, though, he'd decided that was a blessing.

It was, after all, best to ask the people involved about a thing like this when you could.

So, with his boy in tow to be chaperone, Hirase made his way through the Unicorn yurts until he found hers and tapped on the support pole nearest the entry.

"Ide-sama? It is Hirase. Do you have a few minutes?"
Phoenix Clan * Courtier * Widower * Single Father * Husband-elect of Shinjo Liu Yue
Glory: 1.0 Status: 1.0 Honor: What is Expected

Orange Text = Speaking Yobanjin * Description

Always Carries: Writing materials, healthy snacks, fan
Asako Hirase

Re: Life Choices (D9, Early Aft, Samai's Tent, CLOSED)

Postby Ide Samai on Mon May 01, 2017 11:48 am

The flap opened and Samai.peeked out.

"Hello Asako-san, Ichiro-san. Please join me?" her voice was uncertain but she was happy to usher them.in
Unicorn Emissary * Gaijin Rose * Storyteller
Honor: What is expected * Status: 2.0 * Glory: 0.0 * Courtship: 2
Carries: Wakizashi, Fan, perfume (rose), coin purse
Ide Samai

Postby Asako Hirase on Mon May 01, 2017 12:54 pm

"Konnichiwa!" Little Ichiro piped it even as he bowed, his father echoing the motion but giving a more sedate, "Thank you for the hospitatliy, Ide-sama." As both entered the tent, Hirase explained, "I thought that perhaps the boy would help reduce any potential negative murmurs before they start. If you like, though, he can play out in front of the tent while we chat."
Phoenix Clan * Courtier * Widower * Single Father * Husband-elect of Shinjo Liu Yue

Asako Hirase

Postby Ide Samai on Mon May 01, 2017 1:00 pm

Samai smiled at the thoughtfulness. "He can stay, I have nothing against it. I.hope both of you are well?"
Ide Samai

Postby Asako Hirase on Mon May 01, 2017 1:35 pm

"Papa's getting married!" Ichiro was jubilant, his father only slightly less so based on the smile he was trying to hide behind his hand. "He said it's because training dogs prooves he'd be a good parent or something." The boy crossed his arms, looking as fierce as a 3-year old could. "I said that's silly, 'cause I'm here to they should know. He said I didn't count because they didn't watch him do it, so that's ok."

The older Phoenix. who was by now barely containing laughter, said, "The marriage is part of why I'm here. I hoped you could advise me about a few things that might help with deciding the Family, assuming the nakodo wish my input. An Ide perspective will be invaluable in this."

Asako Hirase

Postby Ide Samai on Mon May 01, 2017 2:24 pm

"Well, we needed to do know whether you were a miracle, or can he raise another noble soul like you." She winked at Hirase as she said it.

She opened a bag of sweets and put it down in the middle of the trion. "Would you care for some?"

Finally, she turned to the father in the room with an amused expression. "Oh? Always happy to help, Asako-san. What would you need of me?"
Ide Samai

Postby Asako Hirase on Mon May 01, 2017 3:12 pm

A brief exchange between father and son over how much snacking was allowed, and indeed, advisable, this shortly after lunch followed. After thanking Samai properly, Ichiro took the two small pieces his father permitted him and sat down on the floor a bit out of the way to savor them while the adults talked about what was, to him, fairly boring.

"I am afraid there is no delicate way to ask some of this, so I hope you'll forgive some blunt questions."

Asako Hirase

Postby Ide Samai on Mon May 01, 2017 3:18 pm

A small yipping yawn was also heard, as Ostro stepped out of his cave of sheepskin. He looked up at all the new arrivals, his protective instincts kicking into overdrive.... so he moved to the smallest intruder, eyeing his prey.... and let out a ferocios (and high pitched) 'Yip!'.

Samai glanced at the dog for now, but it seemed it wasn't dangerous yet. She turned to Hirase. "Asako-san, I am sure it won't be a problem. You have experienced it with the Moto, but I assure, one thing the Ide through the centuries learned the value of Honesty and Sincerity. Please talk freely, no offense will be given here." She extended her hands to the side, imitating a protective circle.
Ide Samai

Postby Asako Hirase on Mon May 01, 2017 4:49 pm

Ichiro was in a quandary; he loved dogs, but he loved candy. And the two did not mix.

So he tucked one into his mouth, the other into his sleeve, and then sat very quietly, carefully not looking the puppy in the eyes as his father had taught him. Slowly, he held out a hand and waited to see if it would come to him.

Hirase, after a glance, seemed not to worry about any small creature problems. He focused on Samai with a slight frown, even as he hunkered forward, elbows on knees.

"I've noticed that, though you are one of the few persons of rank sent here, none of the others seem to have listened to you or, indeed, to Dabo. The occasional error would be expected; no one can master everything. But the habitual ignorance of norms is starting to seem systemic. Is it a lack of respect for the Ide, being courtiers in a warrior Clan, or is it a lack of numbers?"

Asako Hirase

Postby Ide Samai on Mon May 01, 2017 4:52 pm

Ostro took another step to the invader. He took a large sniff of the boy-hand, and started meditating on the meaning of life and licking the hand of strangers.

Samai frowned.... well, it was going to take a good answer. "Well..." she withdrew her hands, smiling a smile. "When I mentioned no offense would be given I did not quite expect this question. Yet, my word was given." She sighed, then looked at the flap of the tent. "I wold request of course, that everything would stay within this tent. It would be bad form."
Ide Samai

Postby Asako Hirase on Mon May 01, 2017 5:22 pm

Ichiro was a very good boy, but still...he was but a boy.

"Ichiro-kun, why don't you ask Ide-sama if you can take her pup out and throw a ball for him for a while?"

It was said in that 'I'm getting him out of the way' voice adults used amongst themselves, a sidelong glance given to Samai for approval even as Hirase spoke.

Asako Hirase

Postby Ide Samai on Mon May 01, 2017 5:24 pm

"I am sure Ostro would appreciate it. I haven't had time for him today unfortunately, and we cannot let his training waver. You would honor me Ichiro-san." Hopefully that will help, while she nodded to the Asako.
Ide Samai

Postby Asako Hirase on Mon May 01, 2017 5:31 pm

"Arigatou, Ide-sama! I'll be real careful of him."

The boy beamed, bowed, and then, moving carefully so as not to startle the puppy, lifted the tent flap and followed him out. At his father's reminder, he deliberately left the flap a bit ajar so that he could 'chaperone' while his father kept half an eye on him in turn.

Then, patiently, the Phoenix waited. It was, after all, a fraught question he had asked; such answers could not be rushed.

Asako Hirase

Postby Ide Samai on Tue May 02, 2017 6:44 am

The puppy proudly huffed outside to display is magnificent skill with small round objects. Truly, he was a master of the art!

Samai, meanwhile, frowned. "Some of it is due to status... some of our members have ranks and influence equal to, or more, than mine. Some of it is blood... despite lack of status, an upbringing as kuge can give a different perspective on responsibility. It is different to follow when you know you will lead one day. Probably."

She sighed. "Some of it is due to youth. We all strive to be proper samurai, but we all fall short. How much depends on a great many things." Standard diplomatic horsecake.

"Finally, I have my own failings. Despite my experience and status, I have not been as diligent as I should in keeping an eye on the members of my delegation and making sure that they are proper hosts and attendants at the same time. In fact, I would say, that is the largest reason."
Ide Samai

Postby Asako Hirase on Tue May 02, 2017 10:19 am

He listened in the patient way he had, not interrupting or changing expression.

"I had no wish to blame you. Nor, I think, should you blame yourself. You are not the highest in status in the Ide here; if anyone should have put out refresher courses before we began it should have been Dabo. You have been busy with the Duty you were given, which is to find a suitable partner; it was not, after all, to control every member of your Clan."

He let that sink in a few moments, then went on. "I ask the question because, as of yesterday, I will be taking a partner from your Clan. I do not expect anyone here to choose me, so I have begun to question how I will best serve the Empire with my own choice of maidens who could not be spared from their tasks to come here." A slight half-smile quirked his lips. "I had, before I ever came here, hoped to wed a warrior again. Part of that, I realize, is laziness; it is familiar and therefor simple. Now that I have seen matters, though, I have wondered if it might better serve everyone if I tried to join the Ide. Thus, I came to seek your advice, as the only one of that family I feel a kinship with and trust to have valuable insight. Your Cousin Amaya is lovely, but I do not think she has the practical experience that you have."

Asako Hirase

Next

Return to Northwestern Yurts