[D7, LE] Fireside (Outside Mei's Yurt, Expecting)

Re: [D7, LE] Fireside (Outside Mei's Yurt, Expecting)

Postby Miya Mei on Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:21 pm

"That is a perfect mindset to have when raising a family, and I believe we are on the same page there, which is nice to know. I am not sure how that can change the world around us though. We still have a society that rewards name more than deed."
Imperial | Duelist | Kakita Trained | Unmarriable
Honor: Exceptional | Glory: 1.0 |Infamy 1.0 | Status 1.5 | CP: -2

Description

Wielder of an elegantly decorated katana, Meng. D8+ carries Shinjo Kemuri's Fan
Miya Mei

Postby Shinjo Kemuri on Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:41 pm

"It is the same thing." he shook his head. "One's name is honored because their parents secured their child's place in some way, as was done for them. A parent wants what is best for their child. That is true regardless of their own place in society. Even if their station were changed, it would continue. Society would be the same."
Unicorn Clan Marta Family Bushi Hunter Explorer Storyteller Completely Honest Rides Sarangerel
Honor: Expected • Status: .5 • Glory: 0.0 • Courtship: 4

Carries: Water, Knife, Sake Cup, Chopsticks, Dice
As Appropriate: Daisho, Light Armor, Daikyu, Quiver, Lantern, Cloak, Hat
Shinjo Kemuri

Postby Miya Mei on Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:43 pm

Mei thinks for a few more moments and is silent.

"Kemuri-kun, can you tell me how your family came to be? You said you are a vassal, though you carry the Shinjo name."

Description

Miya Mei

Postby Shinjo Kemuri on Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:54 pm

"I am a Marta." he explained. "Paper was not something we could keep and carry on large supply. There was no practical way to record our history in written form. Lady Shinjo created our family to maintain the history of our clan through an oral tradition. A storyteller nsmed Martazera taught us the way and we were named after her."
Unicorn Clan Marta Family Bushi Hunter Explorer Storyteller Completely Honest Rides Sarangerel

Shinjo Kemuri

Postby Miya Mei on Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:02 pm

Mei nods.

"My family, the Miya, were originally followers of a man named Otomo, another Imperial Family. When the 9th was defeated, it was our founder who was tasked to spread the news throughout the Empire. Eventually, the Miya were tasked with memorization of all things, delivering edicts and laws, as well as explaining things to those in the Empire and knowing every mon of every family in the Empire. Even though they were written down, a Miya is expected to know them by memory."

"In many ways, the Marta and the Miya are similar. Yet, You are a vassal, and deemed lower in station than the Shinjo who sponsored you. Miya was a follower of Otomo, yet we are a fully fledged family."

She grips Kemuri's hand warmly, intertwining her fingers with his again.

"It just seems so unfair. I see no particular reason why you and I are held at different stations. I want to raise children who have every opprotunity to become whatever they wish, and not be held back simply because of their name. Granted, being an Imperial means they already have a leg up, but I wish that they didn't."

"I wonder, since you have been here, have you met any of the Minor clans?"

Description

Miya Mei

Postby Shinjo Kemuri on Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:30 pm

"Oh yes." he nodded. "I find their stories fascinating. But, regarding the Marta, I do not really see an issue. I have lamented my station to some extent, as it means I must leave my family as a result of this miai. But, that is because I enjoy my role and the distinction we have within the Shinjo."

"Were I to marry into the Matsu, for instance, I would be one of countless samurai, hoping to prove myself but unlikely to stand out." He explained. "As a Marta, I already stand out to the other Shinjo. I can still prove my worth, and rise higher within the clan, but I am already a part of a strong legacy."

"One day, perhaps we will grow in size and will be able to support ourselves within the clan." he continued. "Maybe then, we might become a full great clan family. But, we would not ask for such without earning it."

Shinjo Kemuri

Postby Miya Mei on Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:38 pm

Again Mei is silent for some time. She traces the lines on Kemuri's palm with her fingertips.

"Again, I am glad you feel this way."

She lets out a long sigh and yawns a little.

"I bring up the Minor Clans as another example of something to think about. The founding of a Minor Clan is a great deal. Only the Emperor himself can grant permission for a clan to be formed, and it is usually after some deed that is more heroic than you could possibly imagine has taken place."

Mei's voice gets a little sadder.

"Yet, for their heroics, Minor Clans are treated with less station and respect than a member of the Great Clans, simply because their family does not have a name tied directly to one of the Kami."

There is a hint of sadness in Mei's voice.

"I fear what you seek for the Marta will not come to pass in the Empire, at least at current. Remember earlier this evening when I spoke of a flaw? I feel we need to return to that topic when we can be in absolute privacy. There are things you must know about the land you now call home, as well as the family you are to marry into."

Description

Miya Mei

Postby Shinjo Kemuri on Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:53 pm

"I didn't say I seeked it. I said it was a possibility." he shook his head. "It isn't as simple as desiring something and thinking it is unfair if you do not have it. Take the Tonbo as an example. What happened to the Dragonfly was unfair and unfortunate. But, regardless of how they were diminished, they could not survive on their own. They needed the assistance and protection of the Dragon. They had to give up a part of who they were. But, they could not remain a minor clan if they could not support themselves properly."

Shinjo Kemuri

Postby Miya Mei on Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:03 am

"There are some who would say the Dragon taking the Tonbo back was a mistake. That the Tonbo should have either stood or failed on their own merits. I am not one of those people, but it does well for me to know the thoughts others have. Obviously this was impossible given who their foes were, but it does bring one to think. If a Minor Clan can simply be retaken into a Great Clan, what was the purpose of splitting them off in the first place?"

Mei shrugs.

"It is a complicated world we live in. I am envious of the Unicorn. The families all stayed together, and when one wanted to join, they were allowed because they proved their worth. The Moto would never exist if they came to the Empire instead of the Unicorn. Gaijin are forbidden to even enter Rokugan, let alone be accepted as a family within a clan."

Description

Miya Mei

Postby Shinjo Kemuri on Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:26 am

"Hai, that is my point." he nodded. "Regardless of how they got there, the Dragonfly could not stand on their own. At no point in there history could they have served as a Great Clan. If they could not contribute to the Empire as the Great Clans could, why should they be regarded as the same? I admire the Minor Clans for what they have earned for themselves, but they are, comparitively, minor."

"Steps were taken for the Moto to be samurai." he shrugged. "They proved their worth to the Ki-Rin, who greatly needed them, and to Lady Shinjo how had earned their respect. They have continued to serve and contribute as the other families do."

Shinjo Kemuri

Postby Miya Mei on Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:31 am

"I suppose I just wonder what makes a Great Clan great, other than their connection to the Kami and the fact that in the begging they decided to follow. The Empire easily could have had each family be their own clan instead. I should be careful what I say though, just speaking that question would have many say I am heretical. A shame really. Open discussion is how we grow, I find."

"I think the Moto are a wonderful people, and would never say they are not Samurai. Though some would, and still might. This is something coming to this Miai has shown me I will need to discuss with the others in the Imperial City with great care. It will do the Empire no good if half of the citizens think the Moto are barbarians unworthy of the sword at their hip."

Description

Miya Mei

Postby Shinjo Kemuri on Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:41 am

"The clans conflict with one another as it is, do they not?" he shrugged again. "How much worse would it be if there were dozens? Or, would they just ally with one another and form larger groups?"

"These are all questions that might never be answered." He squeezed her hand. "But, let me ask, Mei-chan, how many children would you like?"

Shinjo Kemuri

Postby Miya Mei on Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:44 am

"Hmm. You have a point."

Mei reaches up and places a finger on her chin, looking toward the sky.

"I have always thought it would be nice to have one boy and one girl. A few years apart, so older could mentor the younger. I care not which is first though. What about you Kemuri-kun? Is two too many?"

Description

Miya Mei

Postby Shinjo Kemuri on Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:48 am

"No, that sounds perfect." he smiled. "A good family."

Shinjo Kemuri

Postby Miya Mei on Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:52 am

"I must confess, I do not know much about managing a household. I will certainly do my best to learn though, and I will always be devoted to you and the children."

Description

Miya Mei

PreviousNext

Return to Northern Yurts