The Hills are Alive with the Smell of Yaks [D7, LM]

The Hills are Alive with the Smell of Yaks [D7, LM]

Postby Kakita Nanami on Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:49 am

Nanami wrinkled her nose as she watched the creatures... what was the word people used, graze? The smaller white-ish creatures - chiipu, wasn't it, why was a heroic samurai named after such a creature? - were cute enough. But no amount of cuteness could forgive the smell coming off the larger, shaggier creature.

She stared at them, the name slipping her mind. She knew she'd have to get used to them as the Unicorn were now a part of the Empire - for better or worse - but the Kakita didn't think there was any way she would get used to the smell.

"Smelly-chan," she asked quietly, still staring at the creature, "how do you see with that hair over your eyes?"
Crane Clan • Agasha Trained • Shugenja • Small • Description
Status: 1.0 | Glory: 1.0 | Honor: What is Expected | Courtship Points: 2
Carried: Wakizashi, Tanto, Straw Hat, Cricket in a Cage
Kakita Nanami

Re: The Hills are Alive with the Smell of Yaks [D7, LM]

Postby Shinjo Taichi on Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:43 pm

On his way back from spending some time with his Harukaze, Taichi spots a Crane speaking to a yak. That was definitely not something he was expecting - since all of the non-Unicorn samurai seemed to be avoiding them like they were laden with disease.

"They see better than you think, although you wouldn't always know it. It doesn't matter much anyway, since most things they might walk into will fall down in the face of that much weight." He bows, slightly deeper than is probably necessary. "Shinjo Taichi. A pleasure to make you acquaintance, Kakita-san."
Unicorn Clan • Bushi • Vain and Glorious • Tough • Idealistic • Bad with Money • Shiny Metal Shield
Glory: 0.2 • Status 1.0 • Honor: What is Expected • Just a little bit (in)famous • CP: 0
Carries: Daisho, Targe, Yumi, Knife
Wears: Expensive kimono, haori, Light armor when appropriate.
Horse: Harukaze
Shinjo Taichi

Postby Kakita Nanami on Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:55 pm

The Kakita stood up suddenly, eyes a little wide. She took a moment to compose herself then turned, "Ah... er, Shinjo-san. I wasn't expecting anyone else to be around." She bowed, "This one is Kakita Nanami."

She glanced back to the creature, "But, what if it walks into a tree? Surely it cannot win."
Kakita Nanami

Postby Shinjo Taichi on Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:27 pm

As she bowed, he almost bowed again reflexively.
He laughed a little. "Not from lack of trying, I assure you. They like to rub against things. Keeping them contained can be a hassle sometimes, and if there are too many together it can cause problems. Sheep are much easier to deal with."
Unicorn Clan • Bushi • Vain and Glorious • Tough • Idealistic • Bad with Money • Shiny Metal Shield
Glory: 0.2 • Status 1.0 • Honor: What is Expected • Just a little bit (in)famous • CP: 0
Shinjo Taichi

Postby Kakita Nanami on Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:08 pm

"Sheeeepu?" she stretches the word out, trying to say it correctly. "The fluffy white ones, yes? They are much more... agreeable than this one..."

The nearby sheep bleated.

"Even if they are... much more vocal."
Kakita Nanami

Postby Shinjo Taichi on Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:15 am

He smiled broadly, as always willing to impart his knowledge to those that could benefit from it.
"Sheep can be very mischievous though. They're curious animals, and like to nibble anything they can get their mouth onto. I heard that one of the other guests had some problems with the sheep a couple of days ago." He gestured towards the warning sign that had been put up after that incident.

"They both have their uses though. Sheep for their wool, Yaks for milk and cheese. And of course the meat."
Shinjo Taichi

Postby Kakita Nanami on Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:35 am

"Milk?" Nanami frowned slightly, looking at the yaks. "Those things are responsible for that... drink?"

She shook her head, "I think I like the sheep better."
Kakita Nanami

Postby Shinjo Taichi on Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:44 pm

"Yak's milk is usually turned to cheese. The milk of mares is what's used for Kumis."

He laughed softly once more. "I think many do, Kakita-san, including my clan. They're much more placid, and as long as you keep their wool clean, they smell much nicer."
Shinjo Taichi

Postby Kakita Nanami on Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:48 pm

"The... milk... of the..." she thought about the word for a moment. "The horses?" She shook her head slowly, "Shinjo-san, I'm not sure I will understand your clan or its ways. I have seen goats before, of course, but to keep creatures such as these..."
Kakita Nanami

Postby Shinjo Taichi on Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:34 pm

His broad smile is still firmly in place. Have to ease her into it.

"We're a functional clan, Doji-san. When you travel as much as we have securing food can be difficult, especially in the desert. Deprived of the ability to farm, we have had to adapt." A small pause "When you think about it, having your sources of food and drink able to carry themselves in addition to you and your belongings is very wise, is it not?"
Shinjo Taichi

Postby Kakita Nanami on Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:41 pm

"Mmm." The Kakita nodded non-noncommittally, "I spent most of my life in the mountains with the Dragons - I thought I had seen practicality in their way of survival in such harsh terrain. To see a clan that has spent most of its existence travelling, though... It is indeed a wise choice given the situation."

She glanced at the yak, "Still... I am not sure I can trust an animal who's eyes I cannot see."
Kakita Nanami

Postby Shinjo Taichi on Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:51 pm

"Sadly the yak does not have graceful hands with which to clear the hair from its eyes when it falls askew."

"You studied with the Dragon? From what I have heard, they are often reluctant to accept those from outside their clan without reason. This must speak to your talents."
Shinjo Taichi

Postby Kakita Nanami on Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:05 pm

There was another non-committal nod, "There was... an understanding between our clans on the matter and obligations that needed to be fulfilled. Shinjo-san will have to forgive me, as I can't speak more of the specifics." That she didn't know all the details of the arrangement, she kept to herself; she had, after all, been young at the time.

"It seems to have helped, though, that I was more readily able to call upon the fire kami - something of a specialty among the Agasha and..." She paused for a moment, "A rarity among my clan."
Kakita Nanami

Postby Shinjo Taichi on Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:13 pm

"I understand completely, Kakita-san, fear not." That politics as a whole confused and scared him a little, he felt was not important enough to mention.

Having been unable to pick it due to being unfamiliar with such things (and just plain dense), the revelation that she was a shugenja surprised him a little. "That you can call upon the kami at all is wondrous enough. When I began to travel the empire, I was amazed that such a thing was even possible. Tell me, what do they sound like?"
Shinjo Taichi

Postby Kakita Nanami on Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:19 pm

Nanami paused for a moment, recalling the conversation with the young Moto near a week past. Slowly, she spoke, "It is difficult to explain, Shinjo-san. It is... it is like listening to the crackle of a cooking fire or the susurrus of the wind through leaves. It can be both calming and incredibly exciting all at once."
Kakita Nanami

Next

Return to Animal Pens