[Day 6 - Early Afternoon] Sacred Duty

[Day 6 - Early Afternoon] Sacred Duty

Postby Bayushi Hotaru on Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:49 am

While everyone was having fun riding horses and hitting targets with their spears, Hotaru decided to take a day 'off' from the events to focus on the small things at the shrine. She would be found sitting at one of the steps of the shrine, carefully folding out rice paper to make new paper charms (shide) for the torii arch. The ones she volunteered to put up a few days ago were soaked and blown out by the heavy rain. A miko's work was just never done at the shrine.
Scorpion Clan • Shrine Maiden • Diviner • Dangerously Cute • Slightly Short
Status: 1.0 • Glory: 1.0 • Honour: Untrustworthy • Courtship Points: 9

Description, Artist Details in Description
Personal Effects: Wakizashi (where appropriate), scroll satchel, fan, jade charm, mask, fortune sticks, kawaru coins

Mamoru, Protector of Shrines
Bayushi Hotaru

Re: [Day 6 - Early Afternoon] Sacred Duty

Postby Tonbo Misa on Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:12 pm

Horse riding had turned out to be great fun for Misa, but in the end it was no more than that. When she'd heard about needing to ride hard, stay mounted, and make passes with spears, she knew all she would manage to do is hurt herself, or even others.

Instead, she had her servant keep her near the shrine, close enough for the sounds of the tournament of sorts to drift on the wind to her ear, loving the sounds of people having joyous fun. Still, it turned out she wasn't alone. She didn't see Hotaru of course, and the charm making was quiet enough, but Sanmi whispered into her mistress' ear when she spotted her. Misa stopped a polite distance away, and with some assistance in aiming, bowed toward the Scorpion. "Bayushi-san, konnichi-wa."
Dragon Clan • Bushi • Advisor • Blind • Ascetic • Enlightened
Honor: What is Expected | Glory: 1.0 | Status: 4.0 | Courtship Points: 7
Carries: Traveling Pack, Daisho (where applicable), walking stick

Sanmi (Attendant)
Tonbo Misa

Postby Bayushi Hotaru on Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:52 pm

Hotaru perked up when she saw that the shrine was getting some visitors, despite the excite that was just happening some ways away. She set her craft aside and rose from her seat, bowing deeply to Misa with a bright smile. "Konnich-wa, Dragon-sama! This one is Bayushi Hotaru, honoured shrine maiden of the Shining Retreat and part-time volunteer here. I'm pleased to see others here today, welcome to the shrine."

Personal Effects: Wakizashi (where appropriate), scroll satchel, fan, jade charm, mask, fortune sticks, kawaru coins

Bayushi Hotaru

Postby Tonbo Misa on Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:13 pm

Misa's head tilted a bit curiously, but she smiled warmly. "An assistant to the shrine, Bayushi-san? What a wonderful service to our hosts. This one is Tonbo Misa, advisor. This is this one's first time visiting aside from competitions."

Sanmi (Attendant)
Tonbo Misa

Postby Bayushi Hotaru on Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:50 pm

Hotaru giggled abashedly and shook her head. "My apologies, Tonbo-sama! I wouldn't claim to be an assistant to this shrine, I'm only pitching in here and there. It's not my intention to overstep my bounds when there's already honourable monk tending this shrine! With such a large gathering of people, they will only see more guests and people who need help around here, ne?"

She raised her brows, looking surprised. "Oooh, your first time here? The Shrine is known for its valuable history and a monument of greatness. I'm sure the monks would be pleased to have you here, I am! Is there anything I may assist you, if you have any specific in mind?"

Bayushi Hotaru

Postby Tonbo Misa on Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:35 pm

Misa shook her head softly, smiling. "In particular? No, nothing specific. I merely wish to learn and see... so to speak. Would Bayushi-san have a few favorites in mind?"

Sanmi (Attendant)
Tonbo Misa

Postby Bayushi Hotaru on Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:33 pm

Oooh...is this that blind Tonbo around the events? It perhaps dawned to her when Misa hinted slightly that her sight might not be quite there to 'see'. Oh my, maybe she's here to pray for forgiveness? She narrowed on her eyes for a moment, wanting to be sure, but proceeded as normal.

"Oh, that's quite fine too," she said as she reapplied her friendly smile again. "At the moment, there's not much to the shrine. It's quite a humble place, but one with a lot of significance. I'm currently helping around by putting up paper charms again on the torii arch. The ones I've put up before were taken by the storm, unfortunately." Her hand wave around the papers she was fiddling with to create an audible paper sound.

"People here have used the site to honour the great Kakita, or ancestors of ages past. It also serves as a site to challenge prayer for the Fortunes. There isn't a sole site devoted to them. Not yet, at least. It's my earnest wish that might change in the future, maybe with the help of generous souls and earnest hearts. I'm also a diviner too, and I offer my services to those who ask. Many at the Shining Retreat have spoken well of my consultations," she said on a confident note.

Bayushi Hotaru

Postby Tonbo Misa on Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:56 pm

Misa nodded, tone warm. "A diviner as well? Bayushi-san is quite talented then. Helping out here, divining... surely you will make some Unicorn man happy."

She paused for a moment, listening to the rustle of paper, as well as the wind blowing into the tent. "It sounds like a very good place. I've always appreciated the simple places, even if some would help it grow."

Sanmi (Attendant)
Tonbo Misa

Postby Bayushi Hotaru on Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:27 pm

Hotaru giggled with a small wave of her hand. "Ah, well...we'll just have to see, then. If my skilled talents can bring happiness to my future husband, like how it brings joy to others, then I may be truly blessed. Until then, I'd let the Fortunes determine that before I count my blessings."

"It is a simple place but it is brimming with potential. I'm looking to potentially change that in the future, if it is allowed. It is unknown if I will find myself here after my marriage, but all great things have a small start, ne?"

Bayushi Hotaru

Postby Tonbo Misa on Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:08 am

"That is indeed what they say. Every beach starts with a single grain of sand." She smiled, then gave a slightly mirthful, slightly curious tone. "If Bayushi-san is a diviner, can she not already know her future husband?"

Sanmi (Attendant)
Tonbo Misa

Postby Bayushi Hotaru on Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:12 pm

She chuckled at the question and nodded, "I already have some idea, actually." It's going to be a Unicorn, a man and someone at the miai. "But I think I'm saving some of the details as a surprise. It's boring if I know everything beforehand!"

"However! I'm more than happy to offer my services to those who wish to shine a light on their respective prospect or which direction they wish to take. I would consider it an honour to read the oracle for you, Tonbo-sama."

Bayushi Hotaru

Postby Tonbo Misa on Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:30 pm

Misa nodded, smiling. "This one already knows who she will be marrying, but perhaps there are other things Bayushi-san could show me? There would be eternal gratitude."

Sanmi (Attendant)
Tonbo Misa

Postby Bayushi Hotaru on Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:53 am

Or, the father of your children, probably. She thought as an aside, regarding Misa's confidence in her future match. "I trust that many value your wisdom, Tonbo-sama, and I see little reason to disagree with you when it comes to your match. However, I would be more than happy to delve into other matters for you. Was there a specific question you had in mind? Oh! Please ...hold on..."

She shuffled aside for a moment and found her tatami mat, laying it down with an audible flop. "Please, have a seat!"

Bayushi Hotaru

Postby Tonbo Misa on Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:01 pm

Misa sat, with just a bit of help from her servant, giving a quiet thanks to Hotaru as she did so. As she settled, she looked deeply contemplative. "...Tell me first Bayushi-san... your ability. Would you call it more divination... or prophecy?" Her tone was still warm, but it had an undercurrent of seriousness to it.

Sanmi (Attendant)
Tonbo Misa

Postby Bayushi Hotaru on Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:50 pm

Only after Misa sat down, she would take a seat as well to join the Dragon on the mat. She fished out from her satchel a tubular container that kept her divination sticks, giving an audible shake before she opened the top, fiddling through them in preparation.

It depends, what's the occasion? Hotaru looked up from what she was doing smiled softly at the question. "Quite the question, Tonbo-sama. I suppose on face value, what I do is merely divination, just a function to get a result. However, it does take a skilled ready to deeply read into the insight provided by the oracle, providing both knowledge of the future and a glimmer of what might be even hidden within. The pictures aren't so vivid where they can describe fully, in any sense, what the future may bring. However, is direction will be quite obvious, especially as time goes by and the future is given a chance to act in motion. Perhaps I can prevent disasters or see greatness to come...but I cannot guarantee anything. To do so, would be angering the Heavens, ne?"

Bayushi Hotaru

Next

Return to The Shrine of the Emerald Champion