GM Questions

Re: GM Questions

Postby Iuchi Saksaha on Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:25 pm

Is my 15 on Lore: Spirit Realms enough to have some general clue what an Orokos... I mean, an Orochi is?

http://orokos.com/roll/508458

I figured I'd just roleplay the result free-form if it came out really low or really high... so of course then I rolled a number ambiguously in the middle, and now, having brought dice into the mix, I feel like I gotta check in. :lol:
Unicorn Clan • Priestess • Spiritwalker • Gives Love A Bad Name (Infamy)• Future Togashi???
Honor: What is Expected • Glory: 0 • Infamy: 0.2 • Status: 1 • Courtship Points: -1 • Description
"I'm not good, I'm not nice, I'm just right/I'm the Witch/You're the world."

Speaks Mekhem (with an Ujik-hai accent) and Rokugani.
On her person: embroidered wool robes, various dangling meishodo charms, belt pouch, kiseru, tanto, wakizashi.
Iuchi Saksaha

Postby Yogo Yuichi on Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:37 am

Can you cast Commune without casting Sense first?
*Scorpion *Shugenja *Soul of Gold *Discoloured Eye *Oni Mask * Spirits, Spirits Everywhere
|Glory/Infamy: 1.0/0.0| Honor: Honorless Dog| Status: 1.0| Courtship Points: -2
Mon: Scorpion, Yogo
Carries: Wakizashi, Robes, Scroll Satchel, Paper Wards (15), Fan, Kawaru coins, Pearl, Incense, Jade fingers (1), Magical Wards (5)
description
New Theme!!
Yogo Yuichi

Postby Iuchi Saksaha on Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:00 am

Yogo Yuichi wrote:Can you cast Commune without casting Sense first?

For what it's worth, Kaiya did just that here: viewtopic.php?f=98&t=438&start=60#p12431

I suppose if there are no spirits to commune with, the spell just fizzles...?
Unicorn Clan • Priestess • Spiritwalker • Gives Love A Bad Name (Infamy)• Future Togashi???
Honor: What is Expected • Glory: 0 • Infamy: 0.2 • Status: 1 • Courtship Points: -1 • Description
"I'm not good, I'm not nice, I'm just right/I'm the Witch/You're the world."

Speaks Mekhem (with an Ujik-hai accent) and Rokugani.
On her person: embroidered wool robes, various dangling meishodo charms, belt pouch, kiseru, tanto, wakizashi.
Iuchi Saksaha

Postby Fairuz Kaiya on Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:22 am

I've never really understood the specifics of it. Just always thought "Hey, there's water/fire/whatever here" = "there must be kami of that element around".

Weird that Sense isn't even mentioned in Commune's text, though Commune is mentioned in Sense's.. :?
House Fairuz • Shugenja • Curious • Quantum Horsing
Status: 2.0 | Glory: 2.0 | Honor: What is Expected | Courtship Points: 3
Carried Items: Flute, journal, knife, miniature go set, scroll satchel, wakizashi, writing kit.
Languages: Mekhem
Fairuz Kaiya

Postby Ide Samai on Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:33 am

I always understood it that Communing for regular information while the element is available is fine, while Sense is more noticing actual magicks going on?

Or really, just smush the two together and leave it at that? :)
Unicorn Emissary * Gaijin Rose * Storyteller
Honor: What is expected * Status: 2.0 * Glory: 0.0 * Courtship: 2
Carries: Wakizashi, Fan, perfume (rose), coin purse
Ide Samai

Postby Seppun Hitako on Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:54 am

Friendly Kami makes it easier to know there's a kami present. Without that, yeah, it's sometimes tricky.

Though for Sense, I try to work it into Events, when I can. It's supposed to be one of the basics, after all.
Seppun Hitako
Imperial • Shugenja • Sahir • Friendly Jinn
Honor: What is expected • Glory: 1 • Status: 1.5 • Courtship: 9
Mekhem
Seppun Hitako

Postby Shiba Kaizen on Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:34 am

Is it possible to use the Shiba Sentinel technique to give someone a void point in sparring so that individual may cast a spell unrelated to combat? Would a person trained in that school understand how to accomplish that or is it intuitive only to combat, meaning could it be set up on purpose to help someone without a void point?
Phoenix Clan * Yojimbo * Previous Year Topaz Competitor of Renown * Crane are not Fans of.. * Short
Glory: 2.0 * Status: 1.0 * Honor: What is Expected * Courtship Points: 5
Carries: daisho, fan, samisen, and wears decent quality clothing with a haori and hakama
Shiba Kaizen

Postby Mindshred on Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:16 am

Iuchi Saksaha wrote:Is my 15 on Lore: Spirit Realms enough to have some general clue what an Orokos... I mean, an Orochi is?

http://orokos.com/roll/508458

I figured I'd just roleplay the result free-form if it came out really low or really high... so of course then I rolled a number ambiguously in the middle, and now, having brought dice into the mix, I feel like I gotta check in. :lol:

It's a serpent monster from Sakkaku, generally rather humorless.

Yogo Yuichi wrote:Can you cast Commune without casting Sense first?

Yup.

Shiba Kaizen wrote:Is it possible to use the Shiba Sentinel technique to give someone a void point in sparring so that individual may cast a spell unrelated to combat?

No, simply because I don't want to encourage impromptu play-fighting anytime someone needs a void point.
Mindshred

Postby Yogo Yuichi on Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:32 pm

thanks, minna-sama! :P
*Scorpion *Shugenja *Soul of Gold *Discoloured Eye *Oni Mask * Spirits, Spirits Everywhere
|Glory/Infamy: 1.0/0.0| Honor: Honorless Dog| Status: 1.0| Courtship Points: -2
Mon: Scorpion, Yogo
Carries: Wakizashi, Robes, Scroll Satchel, Paper Wards (15), Fan, Kawaru coins, Pearl, Incense, Jade fingers (1), Magical Wards (5)
description
New Theme!!
Yogo Yuichi

Postby Usagi Tomoe on Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:55 pm

Subject: A Puzzling Discovery (D5 EN)

Soshi Bantu wrote:Wandering back to his yurt after the impromptu concert, Bantu got a little turned around, direction sense was not his strongest talent, and found himself wandering past some unfamiliar tents.

The candle he carried was providing poor illumination and he resolved to ask an occupant of one of the tents for directions, as he drew close however, he noticed some unusual markings on the outside of the tent...

Day 5 Rumors wrote:ajndcwkvbx
kpbipdejut
tpylihudxj
rszbbjulvg
xyvzuuooqu
rnsgputwze
tteiakgmak
rermoktajc
qhogokucza
whvndqugbw

"What the hell?" He mumbled softly as he pondered the writing. He had done reasonably well interpreting the Ide's made up language the other day and wondered if this was another test of some sort.

As Tomoe is there too:

Any roll to try and decipher or understand the gibberish? :D
Hare Clan • Sly Courtier • Sage • Soul of Tamamo-no-Mae • Herbalist • Fox-Child
ProfileMusic
Honor: Exceptional • Status: 1.0 • Glory: 1.0 • Courtship: 6!

Has: Wakizashi, pet tortoise (Ganko), fan, scroll or book, jade, stone, med-kit.
Usagi Tomoe

Postby Mindshred on Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:16 pm

Usagi Tomoe wrote:Subject: A Puzzling Discovery (D5 EN)

Soshi Bantu wrote:Wandering back to his yurt after the impromptu concert, Bantu got a little turned around, direction sense was not his strongest talent, and found himself wandering past some unfamiliar tents.

The candle he carried was providing poor illumination and he resolved to ask an occupant of one of the tents for directions, as he drew close however, he noticed some unusual markings on the outside of the tent...

Day 5 Rumors wrote:ajndcwkvbx
kpbipdejut
tpylihudxj
rszbbjulvg
xyvzuuooqu
rnsgputwze
tteiakgmak
rermoktajc
qhogokucza
whvndqugbw

"What the hell?" He mumbled softly as he pondered the writing. He had done reasonably well interpreting the Ide's made up language the other day and wondered if this was another test of some sort.

As Tomoe is there too:

Any roll to try and decipher or understand the gibberish? :D

Sure, if you want to throw dice at it.

Calligraphy/Intellect TN 75. :P
Mindshred

Postby Asako Yuki on Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:43 pm

For the ending of the Miai. Are non-Unicorn allowed to pick a random NPC Unicorn while PC Unicorn are still available?
Asako Yuki • Phoenix Clan • Bushi • Dangerously Beautiful • Gullible
Status: 1.0 | Glory: 1.0 | Honor: What is Expected | Courtship Points: 5

Carries: Daisho, Smoking Pipe, necklace
Languages: Mekhem, Yobanjin
Asako Yuki

Postby Iuchi Yukarin on Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:01 pm

Seppun Hideo wrote:Can a PC pick a Unicorn NPC to marry if there are still Unicorn PCs to pick? Or is it pick PCs until none are left
Asako Yuki wrote:For the ending of the Miai. Are non-Unicorn allowed to pick a random NPC Unicorn while PC Unicorn are still available?

Is it something we did?

(hideo's got missed before)
Unicorn Clan · Courtier · Merchant · Lucky! · Blingin' · Pacifist · Greedy · Scholar · Nerd · Shellfish Allergy · Gambler · Queen of Commerce
Honor: Expected | Glory: 0.0 | Infamy 0.1 | Status: 1.0 | Courtship Points: 8
carries: wakizashi, dice & cup, heirloom jewelry, pearl & jade necklace, tiny Daikoku statue, coin purse, hand fan, silk umbrella, bottle of shochu, sake cups, personal seal
profile · full summer robes
Iuchi Yukarin

Postby Mindshred on Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:08 pm

I honestly thought it rather self explanatory.

Beginning with the character with the most Courtship Points, each character will be allowed to choose a spouse from the other participants. Unicorn characters must choose a spouse from among the participating non-Unicorn characters, and non-Unicorn characters must choose a spouse from the participating Unicorn characters.

A character may elect not to choose a spouse, but doing so provides an insult to the Unicorn Clan or the Clans of the Empire, as appropriate. Such a character will leave the miai unmarried but will lose Honor as if they had disobeyed their lord's commands, and they will gain two ranks of Infamy and the Sworn Enemy (Unicorn Clan Samurai) disadvantage.

Non-Unicorn characters with a positive number of Courtship Points (0 or higher) who are left unmatched will be engaged to members of the Unicorn Clan who are not present at the festival, while those who have a negative number of points (-1 or lower) will be sent home with an apologetic letter from the Unicorn, unengaged and quite shamed. These characters will lose Honor as if they had committed a major breach of etiquette and will gain 1 rank of Infamy.
Mindshred

Postby Soshi Taira on Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:15 pm

How will ties be handled?
*fingers crossed it isn't alphabetic*
Scorpion Clan :: Good Cop :: Doctor :: Paragon :: Pragmatic :: Spirit-Touched :: Cursed
Honor: Untrustworthy Status: 1.0 Glory: 3.0 CP: 2
Carries: Daisho, medical satchel, black and red kimono, tall collar 'mask', ink-splotched fan
Now treating: Patient No.18

Description:: Theme:: Struggle
Soshi Taira

PreviousNext

Return to Out of Character Chat