A Dragon Flies (D4, EE, Misa's invitation)

Re: A Dragon Flies (D4, EE, Misa's invitation)

Postby Tonbo Misa on Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:11 pm

Misa gave a small seated bow as Sanmi took the bottle carefully. "Arigato, Soshi-san. I will do just as you say."

Her face bore a peaceful look as her hands reached out and found the tea pieces all arranged in place, going about her ceremony with ease and patience. She still had enough presence to ask a question as she worked all the same. "You mentioned being trained by your family's magistrate school? I confess I know nothing about it."
Dragon Clan • Bushi • Advisor • Blind • Ascetic • Enlightened
Honor: What is Expected | Glory: 1.0 | Status: 4.0 | Courtship Points: 7
Carries: Traveling Pack, Daisho (where applicable), walking stick

Sanmi (Attendant)
Tonbo Misa

Postby Soshi Taira on Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:19 pm

"Ah, I actually trained with the Bayushi, but my posting placed me with the magistrates, and I've since started learning some of their methods."

Taira sighed, he had a weird life story.

"The Soshi magistrates handle much of the trade and travel centers, dealing with larger criminal organizations and breaking up systematic behaviors of crime. They are necessarily heavy handed, decisive, aggressive, and loyal. The local magistracy handles most minor crimes, they investigate local issues, etc... the Soshi magistrate apparatus is... a larger organization, and is responsible for more specific duties. Larger patterns, more difficult regions, that sort of thing."
Scorpion Clan :: Good Cop :: Doctor :: Paragon :: Pragmatic :: Spirit-Touched :: Cursed
Honor: Untrustworthy Status: 1.0 Glory: 3.0 CP: 2
Carries: Daisho, medical satchel, black and red kimono, tall collar 'mask', ink-splotched fan
Now treating: Patient No.18

Description:: Theme:: Struggle
Soshi Taira

Postby Tonbo Misa on Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:37 pm

The Tonbo seemed focused on her ceremony, her voice coming out a bit ethereally. "The Bayushi?
I see. Their courtier school or bushi? And you say you learned some lessons from the magistrates... like what?"

The tea was in a large bowl now being whisked with deft little flicks of wrist.

Sanmi (Attendant)
Tonbo Misa

Postby Soshi Taira on Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:02 pm

"Eventually the bushi."

Taira rubbed his neck. "Mostly I picked up the whole bit about not getting hit, and spent the rest of my youth reading. I got into medicine, and self taught. That got me assigned to the magistrates. I've been learning grappling from them."
Scorpion Clan :: Good Cop :: Doctor :: Paragon :: Pragmatic :: Spirit-Touched :: Cursed
Carries: Daisho, medical satchel, black and red kimono, tall collar 'mask', ink-splotched fan

Soshi Taira

Postby Tonbo Misa on Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:30 pm

Misa smiled faintly. "That reminds me a bit of my own youth and training. I was trained by the Mirumoto, but I can't say I picked up a lot of kenjutsu. Most of my time in the mountains was spent learning to meditate... and make tea."

With that she finished, pouring them both tea. She turned her cup 90 degrees and put a hand under her cup, lifting it to take a sip, smiling softly, It was pretty good tea, though not her best. She certainly seemed to find some focus all the same, appreciation showing on her face.

Sanmi (Attendant)
Tonbo Misa

Postby Soshi Taira on Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:46 pm

Taira would enjoy it, and the void point wouldn't go amiss later.

When the ceremony was complete, he said, softly. "Well, if you are no kenjutsu expert, you do make a very fine pot of tea. On a day like this, and on many a long night, a good pot of tea was more welcome than a good sword."

Soshi Taira

Postby Tonbo Misa on Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:56 pm

Misa nodded, giving a faintly shy smile, though it didn't extend to her soft yet earnest tone. "Just as touch is more important for me, so too is taste. Tea is certainly one of the only luxuries I allow myself. That said, I took up tea preparation more as a path toward centering myself, one step of many on a path towards self understanding, understanding this life, the realms, everything. To know everything, you must first understand a cup of tea, after all."

Sanmi (Attendant)
Tonbo Misa

Postby Soshi Taira on Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:00 pm

That was... more insightful, perhaps, than his comrades put it, but he chuckled, and replied, "Hai, many a grizzled yoriki can tell you that the only truth in a dark night is the mon on your back, and the tea you're holding, hoping the rain keeps the criminals indoor for just one night... sometimes your whole life seems like it was all about just a cup of tea... that was what made it worth it."

Soshi Taira

Postby Tonbo Misa on Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:07 pm

Misa smiled a bit at Taira's words. "That is quite a mix of this world and more esoteric thoughts as well Soshi-san. I was always told that Scorpion were very much in this world, that even the shugenja of your family tended to the courts and offices of the jade magistrates than libraries or monasteries. I was trained by the Taoist Swordsmen though, and they are practically monks, so I imagine to them anyone else would seem more worldly."

Sanmi (Attendant)
Tonbo Misa

Postby Soshi Taira on Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:35 pm

"Hai, that is true."

Drumming his fingers on the tabletop absent-mindedly, he added, "I guess we just... try to take the world as it is, not as we wish it could be."

Soshi Taira

Postby Tonbo Misa on Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:53 pm

"A very pragmatic view. In a way our clans have ever been opposites like that. Bayushi-kami looked for followers that sought the truth of this world, even the parts that most don't wish to acknowledge. Togashi-kami on the contrary sought followers that looked for truth outside this world. Yet, it is those that can see the truth of both that tend to reach the highest levels of enlightenment." She lightly rubbed a thin finger along the edge of her simple tea cup, her expression thoughtful in a distant, soft way. "That is in part why I told my cousin I would come here. I have found all I can I believe exploring myself, but I have never seen-- experienced-- the greater world."

Sanmi (Attendant)
Tonbo Misa

Postby Soshi Taira on Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:59 pm

"Hai, that is a challenge, learning what the world has to offer."

Taira took a sip, giving himself time to think.

"My clan does tend to worldly pursuits, but we do not ignore philosophy entirely, we just... tend to view it in the same way we do the world. Examining the good and the bad both."

Soshi Taira

Postby Tonbo Misa on Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:03 pm

Misa was silently thoughtful a moment, taking a sip of tea and just seeming to listen to the rain before breaking it with a quieter tone, as if loathe to do so. "Would Soshi-san say that such a way of thinking and living can lead to a touch of pessimism in some of your clan? The introspection of the Dragon certainly can lead to those that have no clue about the true hardships and trials of the material, mortal world of cities, wars, courts, farms and merchants, lies and regrets."

Sanmi (Attendant)
Tonbo Misa

Postby Soshi Taira on Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:30 pm

"Oh, I don't doubt that it does, Tonbo-sama. We have a remarkable talent for finding the cloud, and not the silver lining."

He rolled his eyes.

Soshi Taira

Postby Tonbo Misa on Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:40 pm

Misa looked a bit curious, but finally nodded slowly. "I understand. Or at least, I understand the basics. Perhaps one day I will find a reason to visit Scorpion lands and I can learn better."

Sipping then setting down her tea, Misa sat up a bit. "Still, such heavy talk for a rainy evening. I believe I promised you singing Soshi-san, did I not? I know a few, was there a mood you wished, or shall I just choose one to sing?"

Sanmi (Attendant)
Tonbo Misa

PreviousNext

Return to Prestigious Guest Rooms