Are there any boken here? (D2, EA)

Re: Are there any boken here? (D2, EA)

Postby Seppun Hitako on Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:05 am

"A few reasons - first, if I am calling on the kami to bring forth the weapon, and you are already swinging it at me, what is going to happen? My top half will be holding the weapon, even as it topples to the ground. And, I can not always call on the favor of the kami - it would be disrespectful to call on them all the time. Improper. Finally, would it not be good to have skills of my own, not those that are borrowed from spirits?"
Seppun Hitako
Imperial • Shugenja • Sahir • Friendly Jinn
Honor: What is expected • Glory: 1 • Status: 1.5 • Courtship: 9
Mekhem
Seppun Hitako

Postby Moto Baatar on Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:03 am

"These reasons seem sensible," Baatar agreed. "Though ... you mention you speak to the kami? I thought this was only done in stories, but I have heard other easterners speak of this before; is this a gift of the sahir here in Rokugan?"
Unicorn Clan • Samurai • Gaijin Name • Failure of Courtesy
Honor: Untrustworthy • Status: 1.0 • Glory: 0.0 • Courtship: 4
carries: scimitar, wakizashi, shochu, puppy. when appropriate: Unicorn horse, riding armor
Moto Baatar

Postby Kitsu Takashi on Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:12 pm

Takashi continues to listen to the theology lesson, observing how the Seppun responds to continuing questions.
Lion Clan * Bushi/Courtier * Sensational * The jolliest Kitsu
Status: 1.0 | Glory: 1.0 | Honor: As expected | Courtship points: 4
Always carries: Daisho, unremarkable clothing, and some writing supplies (calligraphy set if planning ahead, but always a bit of charcoal and parchment).
Kitsu Takashi

Postby Seppun Hitako on Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:34 pm

"Here, Sahir is a title of a specific school, not a whole class of people, as it is further out. And the class of people that are in that school are a sub-group of the Shugenja, the priests that can, with the proper prayers, communicate with the kami, spirits of the elements and the places."
Seppun Hitako
Mekhem
Seppun Hitako

Postby Moto Baatar on Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:11 pm

"That sounds....really complicated," Baatar said, somewhat boggled. "But if you can speak to kami, can you talk to Lady Shinjo for us?"
carries: scimitar, wakizashi, shochu, puppy. when appropriate: Unicorn horse, riding armor
Moto Baatar

Postby Seppun Hitako on Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:20 pm

"There may be those that can, but I am barely more than an apprentice. I can speak to the kami, the spirits of the elements around me, only. Lady Shinjo, like the other Kami, founders of the Empire, are so much beyond me, it isn't worth my even trying, knowing I would only fail. Perhaps one day, but not any time soon."
_______
She doesn't know, of course, that Shinjo is still potentially alive, but thinks he is asking her to speak to her spirit in the Heavens.
Seppun Hitako
Mekhem
Seppun Hitako

Postby Moto Baatar on Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:42 pm

"Oh, okay," Baatar replied, a little crestfallen. "I didn't realize there were so many kami; I guess it would make sense that the important kami would have a lot of lackeys and assistants."

"Are you able to put in a good word with the spirits around us, so they'll give us good luck, or good weather, something like that?" he asked.
Moto Baatar

Postby Seppun Hitako on Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:27 am

"I suppose, with enough effort. But, as I said, my skills are still quite minor. Calling forth the Fire to strike an enemy, summoning a weapon of fire, I have one prayer to allow your ancestors to sustain you for a few seconds; not much more than that."
Seppun Hitako
Mekhem
Seppun Hitako

Postby Moto Baatar on Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:31 am

"Hmm, okay," Baatar acknowledged. "I hadn't realized magic was so hard to do. I mean, it's, well.... magic." He shrugged helplessly.

"But in that case, maybe practicing swordsmanship is a good idea," the Unicorn concluded.
Moto Baatar

Postby Kitsu Takashi on Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:55 am

"The kami may best protect those who can also protect themselves," Takashi comments, smiling cheerfully but with an not entirely joking tone in his voice.
Lion Clan * Bushi/Courtier * Sensational * The jolliest Kitsu
Status: 1.0 | Glory: 1.0 | Honor: As expected | Courtship points: 4
Always carries: Daisho, unremarkable clothing, and some writing supplies (calligraphy set if planning ahead, but always a bit of charcoal and parchment).
Kitsu Takashi

Postby Seppun Hitako on Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:55 am

"Kitsu-san is quite correct there. That is also one of our teachings. Depend not on the kami first, but on yourself, lest they decline to assist at the last venture, since you have already used up all your favor with them."
Seppun Hitako
Mekhem
Seppun Hitako

Postby Moto Baatar on Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:04 am

"A sensible idea," Baatar agreed with a firm nod. "Let the gods do what they may; a man must rely on his own strength." The young Unicorn struck his breast with a closed fist for emphasis.
Moto Baatar

Postby Seppun Hitako on Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:43 pm

"Hmm, if the opponent takes the time to do something like that, do you step back, or step forward, and strike at them then?"
Seppun Hitako
Mekhem
Seppun Hitako

Postby Moto Baatar on Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:49 pm

"Stepping forward and striking them while they're distracted is a fine idea," Baatar said with a sheepish chuckle. "A good warrior should take advantage of such opportunities. It's too bad for your opponent, true, but the reason you learn to fight is so that you and your family can live, while your enemy dies."
Moto Baatar

Previous

Return to Calm Heart Dojo