Mutually Beneficial Agreement (D4 EM)

Re: Mutually Beneficial Agreement (D4 EM)

Postby Iuchi Yukarin on Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:36 am

Yukarin gave a nod and grabbed a flask, opening it up to pour warm water into the two cups before opening the jug. The shochu she poured out had a slightly yellow tint which lightened as it mixed with the water.

"This is a mellow sweet potato shochu made with black koji. I think it goes quite well with earthy sweet flavours."
Unicorn Clan · Courtier · Merchant · Lucky! · Blingin' · Pacifist · Greedy · Scholar · Nerd · Shellfish Allergy · Gambler · Queen of Commerce
Honor: Expected | Glory: 0.0 | Infamy 0.1 | Status: 1.0 | Courtship Points: 8
carries: wakizashi, dice & cup, heirloom jewelry, pearl & jade necklace, tiny Daikoku statue, coin purse, hand fan, silk umbrella, bottle of shochu, sake cups, personal seal
profile · full summer robes
Iuchi Yukarin

Postby Yasuki Tomonaga on Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:43 am

Tomonaga's eyebrows go up, impressed both by her knowledge of the shochu, and her handling of it. He lifted the cup with both hands, peering down into it for a moment before giving her an approving nod. "You certainly seem to know your beverages, Iuchi-san."

He lowered his left hand, keeping his cup in his right, as he turned his smile on Yukarin once more. "Well then, before you start telling me about all things Iuchi Yukarin, perhaps a toast? To... discovery." He suggested, his brown eyes glinting. Indeed, it seemed to be a time of discovery, and he was growing more pleased with each one.
Crab Clan • Courtier/Brewer • Benten's Blessing • Hero of the People (Golden Carp sake brand) • Gullible
Status: 2 | Glory: 1.0 | Honor: Untrustworthy | Courtship points: 6
Carries: Sake bottle, sake cups
Description
Final Drinking Count: 22/38 threads
Yasuki Tomonaga

Postby Iuchi Yukarin on Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:46 am

A nod and a raised cup, "Hai; I will certainly toast to that."

Having done so Yukarin took a sip and lowered the cup to her lap, "As to my knowledge of the shochu... well, I find knowing things about the food and drink you serve a guest or acquaintance is the perfect conversation starter, neh?"
Unicorn Clan · Courtier · Merchant · Lucky! · Blingin' · Pacifist · Greedy · Scholar · Nerd · Shellfish Allergy · Gambler · Queen of Commerce
carries: wakizashi, dice & cup, heirloom jewelry, pearl & jade necklace, tiny Daikoku statue, coin purse, hand fan, silk umbrella, bottle of shochu, sake cups, personal seal
Iuchi Yukarin

Postby Yasuki Tomonaga on Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:55 am

Tomonaga took a sip as well, nodding approval as he lowered his cup. "Mmm. This is very good. Good choice."

Her comment made him smile. "Huh, I suppose it is. I'm just so used to it being part of a sales pitch. There are some samurai who want to know everything about the sake they're about to drink, practically all the way down to the name of the worker who tapped the barrel." He took another sip of the shochu, almost thoughtfully. "Was this made in Rokugan, or did you acquire it elsewhere?"
Crab Clan • Courtier/Brewer • Benten's Blessing • Hero of the People (Golden Carp sake brand) • Gullible
Description
Yasuki Tomonaga

Postby Iuchi Yukarin on Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:02 am

That got a chuckle and a grin out of her, "Believe it or not, this was made in the back of a wagon by an Iuchi samurai. The sweet potatoes were grown in a planter box for just such a purpose; One of the reasons we never traded any of this stuff away; It was such small batches."
Iuchi Yukarin

Postby Yasuki Tomonaga on Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:12 am

"Really?" Tomonaga first looked down at his cup, then over at the bottle. "Well, that's really impressive! I'd actually been wondering how your various alcoholic beverages are made. We try to keep our sake undisturbed, and at a steady temperature, which you obviously couldn't do while traveling. Interesting."

He looked back at her. "What about kumis? I had cup after cup of the stuff at that first feast, but I couldn't guess at how you make it. It was... fizzy." He wrinkled his nose, not in disgust, but rather confused memory.
Description
Yasuki Tomonaga

Postby Iuchi Yukarin on Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:45 am

"Kumis is comparatively simple; Take some of the milk from a horse and put it in a hide skin. Let it ferment in the bag for a while while making sure to agitate it somehow, like riding a long time or occasionally shaking or punching the skin. When it's done it's bubbly and slightly sour, like runny butter."
Iuchi Yukarin

Postby Yasuki Tomonaga on Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:12 am

"Butter?" Tomonaga asked, but then shook his head. "No, wait. I think there was some of that at the feast, too. Something kinda like white bean paste? But okay, that's how you make kumis. That's interesting, too, using the agitation as a way of altering the flavor and texture. Hmmm..." For a few moments, his gaze went distant, as he imagined the possibilities.

His gaze snapped back to Yukarin; she was why he was here right now, after all. "Well, Iuchi-san, do you have other interests you could tell me about? Or you could ask me about something, but you'd better hurry. I'm about to have a mouthful of honey." Shooting her a quick grin, he lifted a piece of bread dipped in honey. He moved it at a slow and steady pace towards his mouth, giving her a clear time limit on asking a question.
Description
Yasuki Tomonaga

Postby Iuchi Yukarin on Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:43 pm

Yukarin let him eat; Talking about herself worked after all.

"Well... interest-wise, I suppose I would say I'm not that interesting. I like shopping for unique little things, enjoying good food and drink, reading, learning, cuddling with fuzzy little animals, and playing games. I've never been much for the outdoors and I have no talents for arts and crafts~"
Iuchi Yukarin

Postby Yasuki Tomonaga on Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:53 pm

Indeed, for a little while, all Tomonaga can do is eat, the honey providing an effective barrier to words. He does chuckle, though, at her mention of fuzzy little animals.

At the same time, though, he felt a tiny bit of creeping anxiety. If that's her idea of not interesting...

When she paused, he cleared his palette with a sip of the shochu. "Mmm. Yeah, I've seen some of that firsthand." He said, smiling. "Those all sound pretty good to me. Ummm... games. I don't suppose you have an interest in Kemari?"
Description
Yasuki Tomonaga

Postby Iuchi Yukarin on Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:55 pm

"Ke...mari? I have never heard of that one. How do you play?"

She tilted her head at him curiously.
Iuchi Yukarin

Postby Yasuki Tomonaga on Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:06 pm

"Oh, ok." Tomonaga sat up, setting down his cup. "Well, it's pretty simple. You have a ball, a kemari ball." His hands sketch the approximate size in the air. "You stand in a flat area with however many people are playing; two is a great number for it, in fact. The goal is to keep the ball up in the air. You can hit it with any part of your body except your arms. Feet, head, knees..."

"Advanced players play in full court garb. Makes it more entertaining to watch, but it's a lot harder." Tomonaga permitted himself another very brief glance at her legs. "I still play in clothing that allows plenty of freedom of motion, myself."

He picked up his cup, taking another sip. "It's simple, but it's fun. Cooperative. If you'd like, I could show you how to play." He offered.
Description
Yasuki Tomonaga

Postby Iuchi Yukarin on Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:03 am

"That sounds... silly. But it could be fun?"

Yukarin gave a smile to Tomonaga, "I can't promise I'd be any good, but I am more than willing to try, Yasuki-sama."
Iuchi Yukarin

Postby Yasuki Tomonaga on Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:47 am

Tomonaga nodded. "Silly, but fun. Yeah, that sounds about right." He smiled. "And okay, sounds great! I'd be happy to show you how." He let that hang there a moment.

"Of course, I didn't actually bring the kemari ball today." He said, shaking his head. "Didn't expect to be needing it. So, maybe tomorrow, or the day after? We could meet, and I could show you how its done." The smile he gives her is a trifle impudent.
Description
Yasuki Tomonaga

Postby Iuchi Yukarin on Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:56 am

She gave a slow nod, "Hai, that sounds fine. You are somewhat of an expert then?"
Iuchi Yukarin

PreviousNext

Return to The Western Fields