Little Shrine On the Prairie [D4 LA]

Little Shrine On the Prairie [D4 LA]

Postby Iuchi Saksaha on Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:04 pm

The Iuchi, like the rest of their Clan, had had little use for building temples and shrines on their long journeys, but they know the value of honoring a holy site when they pass one on their way. The tori arch on its lonely little rise reminds Saksaha strongly of the sacred trees she'd seen on the steppes as a child, bowed almost into arches themselves by the weight of the many prayer flags tied around their trunks and branches.

Kakita... husband of Lady Doji. That makes you Shinjo-no-Kami's brother in law, a member of her tent. I could wish for your guidance.

She climbs the steps to the shrine with a bowl held carefully in both hands. After bowing three times, she lifts the bowl and with a silently mouthed invocation scatters its contents--goat's milk, fresh that morning--into the wind and down the grassy hillside.
Unicorn Clan • Priestess • Spiritwalker • Gives Love A Bad Name (Infamy)• Future Togashi???
Honor: What is Expected • Glory: 0 • Infamy: 0.2 • Status: 1 • Courtship Points: -1 • Description
"I'm not good, I'm not nice, I'm just right/I'm the Witch/You're the world."

Speaks Mekhem (with an Ujik-hai accent) and Rokugani.
On her person: embroidered wool robes, various dangling meishodo charms, belt pouch, kiseru, tanto, wakizashi.
Iuchi Saksaha

Re: Little Shrine On the Prairie [D4 LA]

Postby Soshi Yuuru on Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:21 pm

The young Soshi magistrate in training approached the top of the shrine and caught sight of the woman spreading her offerings across the shrine. He looked on quizzically for a moment to see what it was she was doing exactly. It was certainly nothing he had ever seen be done before.

What is that... milk?

As he approached he saw it was the Iuchi he had met after his wrestling match a couple days ago. He smiled and greeted her as he drew near, "Good afternoon Iuchi-san. I hope I'm not disturbing you."
Scorpion Clan • Unlucky • Bushi • Cartographer • Explorer • 'Big Fish' Honesty • Engaged to Moto Khulun
Honor: Untrustworthy - Glory: 1.0 - Status: 1.0 - Courtship Points: 5
Carries: Daisho, Parangu, Sturdy kimono, Travel pack, Naga-shaped Netsuke
Description
Soshi Yuuru

Postby Iuchi Saksaha on Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:10 am

"Good afternoon, Soshi-san." Saksaha remembers to bow, for a wonder, wiping her free hand on her skirts. "No, I was nearly finished with the offering. I hope you are well?"
Unicorn Clan • Priestess • Spiritwalker • Gives Love A Bad Name (Infamy)• Future Togashi???
Honor: What is Expected • Glory: 0 • Infamy: 0.2 • Status: 1 • Courtship Points: -1 • Description

On her person: embroidered wool robes, various dangling meishodo charms, belt pouch, kiseru, tanto, wakizashi.
Iuchi Saksaha

Postby Soshi Yuuru on Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:14 am

He nodded, "I am."

He looked around and smelled the milk in the air. "What type of offering were you giving Iuchi-san?"
Scorpion Clan • Unlucky • Bushi • Cartographer • Explorer • 'Big Fish' Honesty • Engaged to Moto Khulun
Description
Soshi Yuuru

Postby Iuchi Saksaha on Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:54 am

"It is a spirit offering for the ancient Kakita," Saksaha says, setting the wooden bowl down on the step. "Not my ancestor, but an ancestor of the empire, so I thought it was still meet to give it." Then, belatedly parsing his curious look, she realizes a simpler explanation is actually in order. "Oh. It's milk. I suppose... your people must offer something different?"

Iuchi Saksaha

Postby Soshi Yuuru on Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:55 am

He nodded but decided to be interested rather than shocked, "Is there a meaning behind the giving of milk?"
Description
Soshi Yuuru

Postby Iuchi Saksaha on Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:25 am

Her brows draw together and one hand unconsciously rises to touch one of the amulets hanging at her breast as she tries to think how to explain something that is, to her, so basic. "Milk is life. It is what mothers give to their babies, and what the earth gives to us, through our herds, to keep us healthy and full. Milk is wealth and plenty, and... and springtime, and mother's love." She shrugs a bit helplessly. "It is the commonest offering to spirits, and one of the most powerful. You can also give wine or kumis or arkhi, or sweets, of course, depending on the prayers."

Iuchi Saksaha

Postby Soshi Yuuru on Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:37 am

Yuuru nodded, "I see. It's an interesting view; one I must admit is foreign to me... but not altogether incomprehensible."
Description
Soshi Yuuru

Postby Iuchi Saksaha on Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:30 am

"What would you offer an ancestor-spirit, instead?" she asks, looking up at him curiously. "Rice? Sake?"

Iuchi Saksaha

Postby Soshi Yuuru on Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:34 am

He nodded, "Those are common, yes. Most of these rituals tend to have something that's specific for the deity being paid homage to... or the season... or the occasion. My mother would be a lot better to answer a question like this than I am, but rice and sake are pretty common."
Description
Soshi Yuuru

Postby Iuchi Saksaha on Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:18 pm

She nods a bit gravely and, glancing back over her shoulder, moves a respectful few more steps down from the top of the hill before asking, "You don't think Kakita-shiryo will, um... will he object to my offering? If it is so different from what he is used to..."

Sure, Yuuru isn't a priest, but he's close kin to some. He might at least have an idea.

Iuchi Saksaha

Postby Soshi Yuuru on Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:22 pm

"I tend to think that it's more the feeling you're expressing than the objects you do it with. If you have access to both, then great.. that's probably what one should do. But if you did it in the spirit of respect and honoring; I know I wouldn't be upset if I were a deity." He replied.
Description
Soshi Yuuru

Postby Iuchi Saksaha on Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:13 am

"That is my feeling as well," she agrees, with an air of some relief. "But it is clear I do not always understand how things are done here. I would not like to give accidental offense, to gods or men."

And honestly, the latter often seems likelier around here. If Yuuru isn't bothered by her offering, that's good enough for her.

Iuchi Saksaha

Postby Soshi Yuuru on Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:59 am

He nodded, "There's plenty of sense in that. Most of the people honored by this shrine have been Kakita. Kakita can be pretty prickly types... as can Matsu... or Otaku as I have learned."

He smiled, "You're wise to be more careful about the people rather than the gods. Fortunately I'm a fairly open-minded guy, and don't sweat the details. I know your hearts are in the right place, even if some of the other people here don't think so."
Description
Soshi Yuuru

Postby Iuchi Saksaha on Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:00 pm

Saksaha listens thoughtfully and agrees, "I also have heard the Matsu and Otaku have much in common. Many similar virtues." And similar flaws... she remembers a few recent conversations with Dong-Ha about bushi with rocks where their brains ought to be.

Now. Should I take his bait, or let it lie? She decides to split the difference and tickle the fishhook a little, without grabbing hard at it. "I am glad you understand our good intentions. If some others do not..." she shrugs. "To give the benefit of the doubt is something that has served well on our travels. But maybe it is different for those who don't often meet new peoples."

Iuchi Saksaha

Next

Return to The Shrine of the Emerald Champion