[Day 3 - Late Afternoon] Good Fortune and Cheer

Re: [Day 3 - Late Afternoon] Good Fortune and Cheer

Postby Shinjo Kemuri on Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:50 pm

"I do not think I will ever get used to shellfish." he chuckled.

"As you can imagine, we did not have any temples during our travels." He looked at the shrine. "We had small, temporary shrines, but not much more."
Unicorn Clan Marta Family Bushi Hunter Explorer Storyteller Completely Honest Rides Sarangerel
Honor: Expected • Status: .5 • Glory: 0.0 • Courtship: 4

Carries: Water, Knife, Sake Cup, Chopsticks, Dice
As Appropriate: Daisho, Light Armor, Daikyu, Quiver, Lantern, Cloak, Hat
Shinjo Kemuri

Postby Bayushi Hotaru on Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:00 pm

"Oooh...you had shellfish for the first time too?" She asked curiously, rather surprised that the Unicorn would find such food fascinating, or revolting. At least this one didn't compare them to berries. "They aren't so commonplace around the Empire, where not all lands have bodies of water. I'd think you can avoid them easily enough!"

Unlike milk and the Unicorn, apparently.

She followed his gaze for a moment and nodded. "Hai, it is hard to maintain shrines or temples on the road. However, it's good that you maintained your devotions wherever you went. The Fortunes must have been on your side during your centuries-old journey outside of the Empire, even if you weren't in the Emerald Empire. We're thankful that you've made a safe return back. Is everyone in the Unicorn as devout as you are, Shinjo-san?"
Scorpion Clan • Shrine Maiden • Diviner • Dangerously Cute • Slightly Short
Status: 1.0 • Glory: 1.0 • Honour: Untrustworthy • Courtship Points: 9

Description, Artist Details in Description
Personal Effects: Wakizashi (where appropriate), scroll satchel, fan, jade charm, mask, fortune sticks, kawaru coins

Mamoru, Protector of Shrines
Bayushi Hotaru

Postby Shinjo Kemuri on Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:12 pm

"I am sure there are many who are more devout." he shrugged. "We did our best to stay true to our beliefs, but that comes easier to some than others. Like many things, I am still learning."
Unicorn Clan Marta Family Bushi Hunter Explorer Storyteller Completely Honest Rides Sarangerel

Shinjo Kemuri

Postby Bayushi Hotaru on Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:48 pm

"I don't think devotion is ever a process that any of us have fully learned, even myself or most monks. We still debate the state of the Heavens and the Fortunes, reading their actions in our mortal realm and our ultimate place in their plans. It's not a science, but likely a life-long study, if you ever chose to embark on it."

She laughed softly on an optimistic note, "However, that also means that you won't ever be too behind! From my understanding, the Moto have also their own brand of religion too? Something to do with the Lords of Death? Is that something the Unicorn take to heart as well?"

Personal Effects: Wakizashi (where appropriate), scroll satchel, fan, jade charm, mask, fortune sticks, kawaru coins

Bayushi Hotaru

Postby Shinjo Kemuri on Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:11 pm

"No." he shook his head. "When the Moto joined the Ki-Rin, they abandoned those beliefs. Some may still cling to them, but the Moto were brought into the Celestial Order and now serve the Empire and the Heavens."

Shinjo Kemuri

Postby Bayushi Hotaru on Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:31 pm

"Oh!" She exclaimed in realization, it seemed she might have made the wrong assumption regarding the Moto. "I heard some whispers of them and I assumed that was true. I don't think many of the Moto have told me that such beliefs are actually in the minority...That is very good to know, thank you Shinjo-san! If anything, I think it just proves that less distance between each other after all."

Bayushi Hotaru

Postby Shinjo Kemuri on Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:57 pm

"When Shinjo no Kami brought them into the clan, great lengths were taken to ensure they would be true samurai." he explained. "We have certainly merged some of their views into our own, but they left those beliefs behind."

Shinjo Kemuri

Postby Bayushi Hotaru on Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:12 pm

"It seems that they've managed to retain much of their distinctive traits nevertheless. I'm sure they mean well with their intention. From what I've seen, they seem a little protective, if bold."

"If I may ask a question, I can't say I'm too familiar with the Marta Family who serve the Shinjo Family. Perhaps you could indulge me with a bit of your lineage?"

Bayushi Hotaru

Postby Shinjo Kemuri on Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:41 pm

"Our travels made paper a rare commodity." he explained. "We couldn't record our history in ink, so we use storytelling to pass out cultures and traditions from generation and generation. A woman named Martazera taught us this method and our family was formed to carry out this duty."

Shinjo Kemuri

Postby Bayushi Hotaru on Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:22 pm

"Oooh, something like an oral tradition of passing down knowledge. I can't imagine that being an easy task, especially growing up knowing that most knowledge can be found produced in books. It is perhaps a majority of how we keep our past knowledge from minds centuries old. Would it be right to say that Shinjo-san is a very skilled storyteller and a great asset to his family?" She smiled encouragingly.

Bayushi Hotaru

Postby Shinjo Kemuri on Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:27 pm

"I am learning to be both." he smiled. "Of course, there's much more to learn now."

Shinjo Kemuri

Postby Bayushi Hotaru on Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:20 pm

"Along with everything else when it comes to settling down on land of your own, I'm sure!" She chuckled on that note with a few nods. "Even if we don't record things through verbal histories in most of the Empire, storytellers are very much appreciated around the Empire. In the courts too, I hear. Perhaps in time, Shinjo-san's family will find themselves appreciated in time?"

Bayushi Hotaru

Postby Shinjo Kemuri on Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:48 pm

"I will be a part of a different family by then, but I look forward to it." he nodded. "I'm not sure what the future holds and it's scarey, to be honest, but it will be interesting."

Shinjo Kemuri

Postby Bayushi Hotaru on Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:38 pm

He does come from something of a vassal family, she recalled to herself. "In that case...it seems that your journey might not even after all. A new spouse promises another journey and another discovery. Would it be less scary, if you thought of it in that way? Who knows, you might find yourself with another Family with an appreciate of storytelling or the arts. That only means another home is waiting for you."

Bayushi Hotaru

Postby Shinjo Kemuri on Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:09 am

"Oh, it's quite exciting." he nodded. "But, it is unlike any experience I've had before. It's difficult not to worry."

Shinjo Kemuri

PreviousNext

Return to The Shrine of the Emerald Champion