[D3 LM] Clearing my Head

[D3 LM] Clearing my Head

Postby Ide Amaya on Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:55 am

She was tired. Lacing her tea this morning with camomile had conquered the headache and the dryness in her throat that she had awakened to, but still she felt as if she hadn't slept all too well. She walked along the edge of the archery field, where Shinjo retainers were setting up for the afternoon event. One she was secretly looking forward to. She breathed deeply of the open air, it was so very different here from any place she had known.
• Unicorn Courtier • [Profile - Updated 4/29]
• Small • Gullible • Voice • Inner Gift (Animal Ken) • Love Actuary •
• Honor: Expected • Status: 1.0 • Infamy: 0.2 • Glory: 0.0 • Courtship: 5 •
Carries: Wakazashi, Seppun Fan, Personal Chop, Book of Poetry, Hand Mirror, Wooden Hair Comb, Partial Makeup Kit, Satsujin - a weasel.

Image Tokma - a Gaijin riding horse
Ide Amaya

Re: [D3 LM] Clearing my Head

Postby Asako Hirase on Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:33 am

Another samurai was watching the work in progress, his bright reds and oranges very vivid against the lush summer greens and of the fields. He'd already found where the Unicorn had set the bows that were to be used for the event and had picked one up, yet unstrung, to examine. It was lying over his lap as he sat, rather unconcerned for his clothes, on the ground.

Seeing her approach, however, the man pushed to his feet and bowed.

"Ohayou, Unicorn-san." A closer look. "Ide, yes?"
Phoenix Clan * Courtier * Widower * Single Father * Husband-elect of Shinjo Liu Yue
Glory: 1.0 Status: 1.0 Honor: What is Expected

Orange Text = Speaking Yobanjin * Description

Always Carries: Writing materials, healthy snacks, fan
Asako Hirase

Postby Ide Amaya on Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:38 am

Bowing, she smiles at the unfamiliar samurai, "yes, this one is Ide Amaya. Have you had rice today, Phoenix-Sama?"
Carries: Wakazashi, Seppun Fan, Personal Chop, Book of Poetry, Hand Mirror, Wooden Hair Comb, Partial Makeup Kit, Satsujin - a weasel.

Ide Amaya

Postby Asako Hirase on Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:50 am

"I have, arigatou." A brief flash of white teeth followed as a smile rose and then disappeared. "I am Asako Hirase, a pleasure."

Turning, he indicated with a tilt of his chin at where the targets were being put together by industrious heimen. "Are you here to oversee, observe, or to get some early practice in before the time of testing?"
Phoenix Clan * Courtier * Widower * Single Father * Husband-elect of Shinjo Liu Yue

Asako Hirase

Postby Ide Amaya on Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:05 am

"It is peaceful here, for now. I needed to escape confines and press of our little 'village' for a time. And you, Asako-Sama? What brings you out in this heat?" She nods to the bow he had been studying.

Ide Amaya

Postby Asako Hirase on Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:50 am

"I was curious to see if the bows that the Unicorn make would be any different than the ones that the bushi back home use. I'm no warrior, but my wife was one. She was skilled with a bow and I saw her oiling it and checking it for cracks many a night." The Phoenix spoke non-chalantly about the matter, thoughtfully turning the bow in his hands. "The wood is clearly different and they've notched the ends in a different place, a bit further in toward the grip than I'm used to. The former I understand, but not the latter."

Looking up at Amaya again, he asked, hopefully, "I don't suppose you are an archer or versed in the history of it as Unicorn practice it, are you?"

Asako Hirase

Postby Ide Amaya on Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:02 pm

She shakes her head, drawing her fan from her obi. She does not open it, yet. "I am no battle maiden, Asako-Sama, but my mother was. I am schooling in the use of words as the shield that deflects the blow before it is even made." Amaya tilts her head to one side, "you say wife, are you not a guest of the ma-ai?"

Ide Amaya

Postby Asako Hirase on Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:00 pm

"Oh, I am here for that. My wife fell honorably in battle nearly two years past." He paused, suddenly focused on her. "Your mother was an Otaku? I was given to understand that they did not marry out?"

Asako Hirase

Postby Ide Amaya on Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:09 pm

"I am terribly sorry, Asako-Sama. I too have lost one I was close to, I cannot begin to imagine your pain." At his question, she fidgets with her folded fan, "no, my mother was not shiotome. She was a warrior of the Moto family, she helped guard us on the long journey back to Rokugan."

Ide Amaya

Postby Asako Hirase on Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:15 pm

"My apologies. I thought the term was for Shiotome only." Inclining his head in apology, he grew solemn. "And I am sorry for your loss. It is hard to lose someone you care for, even if that caring is that of friendship. My first match was quite traditional."

Realizing that she might not know the full extent of that, he clarified, "I met her the day we wed. The nakodo handled everything up that point."

Asako Hirase

Postby Ide Amaya on Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:35 pm

"Perhaps amongst the Otaku they are more stiff about such things. Mother is an honourable and skilled fighter, and she has my highest esteem. I, at least, would not have made it here if it were not for her." She made no effort to correct the Pheonix's assumptions, though it pained her for her brother to be made topic of conversation for the second time in as many days, even if it was indirectly.

With more cheer, "this ma-ai will give you a better chance to know your second bride, then? How are you finding my Clanswomen?"

Ide Amaya

Postby Asako Hirase on Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:12 pm

"Those of your Clan I have met I have liked, more or less." The Phoenix smiled again. "That includes your menfolk, though naturally that is more a matter of friendship. Counting yourself, that's a solid half dozen Unicorn thus far." He thought about it, then amended, "Eight, if I count horses. Which I'm thinking I should, since they are so much a part of your history and so different than the ones we have here."

Asako Hirase

Postby Ide Amaya on Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:27 pm

"The steeds are special indeed. After spending the entirely of my life riding towards Lady Amaterasu, one would be forgiven for thinking I never wanted to be seated on a horse again, yet I miss it. Having no horse of my own is probably my only sadness at this ma-ai."

"Would you tell me more of yourself, Phoenix-Sama? You say you are no warrior, and neither am I, where do you skills lie?"

Ide Amaya

Postby Asako Hirase on Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:37 pm

She was the first Unicorn he'd met without a horse and his surprise was obvious. "Do they only give them to warriors, then? Interesting..."

Putting the bow aside, he leaned forward, elbows on knees.

"I am trained in the most typical role for those of my Family, which is the path of scholarship and courtly acumen. You spoke of defense by fan....well, the Pheonix as a whole tend to fight as a last resort and my Family especially tends to extreme pacifism."

He patted the bow.

"Which is why you see me studying this but not practicing with it. I will not be shooting today, as a bow is a weapon that can never be used in defense and is thus distasteful to me personally."

Asako Hirase

Postby Ide Amaya on Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:45 pm

She nods, smiling. She doesn't agree, and in fact intends to try the event herself, but there was no sense starting on the back foot by inviting disagreement. No matter how polite. "Pacifism is a noble ideal, one that I uphold myself. I have been trained in diplomacy and mediation."

Returning to his earlier question, "my family does not breed horses. I had my own horse once, but the Clan rode long and hard. Many horses were lost, many more are wind-broken and sway-backed and can no longer carry riders."

Ide Amaya

Next

Return to Archery Field