D2, EE - Checkups (outside Yukarin's yurt)

Re: D2, EE - Checkups (outside Yukarin's yurt)

Postby Togashi Udo on Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:10 am

"One doesn't spend all their time in the monastery..." he shrugs with a smile.

"Letters are not a distraction. That is like saying that eating is a distraction. If one eats too much, one might become ill. If one eats too little, the same thing might happen. It's moderation." Udo nods to himself as he speaks. "Besides, some people cook better meals than others, and the right flavors can enrich a person's life, don't you think?"

Did he take that metaphor too far? Eh. It's probably fine.
Tattoo of a Crane * Tattoo of a Lion * Slightly Distracted * Simple robes & hat

Status: 1 | Glory: 1.1 | Honor: What is Expected | Courtship: 15
More info.
Togashi Udo

Postby Iuchi Yukarin on Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:46 pm

"I had certainly heard different things on the matter; That some religious orders did consider things like eating a distraction, that some were all about moderation, and even that some were about connecting with the world to learn more about it and let it enrich their spirit."

She sounded interested in the matter at least.
Unicorn Clan · Courtier · Merchant · Lucky! · Blingin' · Pacifist · Greedy · Scholar · Nerd · Shellfish Allergy · Gambler · Queen of Commerce
Honor: Expected | Glory: 0.0 | Infamy 0.1 | Status: 1.0 | Courtship Points: 8
carries: wakizashi, dice & cup, heirloom jewelry, pearl & jade necklace, tiny Daikoku statue, coin purse, hand fan, silk umbrella, bottle of shochu, sake cups, personal seal
profile · full summer robes
Iuchi Yukarin

Postby Togashi Udo on Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:07 pm

"It depends on your order and on your teacher. There are many monks who distance themselves from the world, which achieves its own rewards.

"But I would not be here if the Togashi felt similarly, at least to the same degree. We keep our names and are trained to fight. The ise zumi are monks, but monks of the world. Some, with other teachers, are more withdrawn... My teacher wishes I was more connected. He felt that I would do better in my training if I was more involved."

Udo puts his hand out to catch a breeze. "I do find myself more interested here," he says, glancing at her.

More info.
Togashi Udo

Postby Iuchi Yukarin on Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:23 pm

Yukarin nodded a little at what Udo said, "Monks aren't exactly something we had while we were on the Journey, so it's interesting hearing all this. And there certainly weren't many books or scrolls on Togashi-Kami's order. I think I have much to learn about such matters."
Unicorn Clan · Courtier · Merchant · Lucky! · Blingin' · Pacifist · Greedy · Scholar · Nerd · Shellfish Allergy · Gambler · Queen of Commerce
carries: wakizashi, dice & cup, heirloom jewelry, pearl & jade necklace, tiny Daikoku statue, coin purse, hand fan, silk umbrella, bottle of shochu, sake cups, personal seal
Iuchi Yukarin

Postby Togashi Udo on Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:16 pm

Udo nods.

"There are many sects and Orders, but there are some that are more prominent. The Four Temples monks believe similarly to me, in that connection to the world is important. They see it as a more social involvement, though, where mine is more physical. The Temple of Osano-Wo believe in martial prowess like me, and even have physical signs of it like my tattoos... but they are more traditionally monks, giving up their place in society.

"I tend to think of the ise zumi as somewhere in between. Connected, social, physical, and at the same time detached and contemplative. It can change with the wind, as all things in the world can. As the Unicorn are about to. Recently, more of my Order have been traveling the world, which is inclining those with a say to more worldly things. Perhaps that is why my teacher has pushed me to become more worldly.

"Regardless, as with all things in life, there is much to learn and too many complications to a simple explanation, and yet a simple explanation often ends up seeming the most accurate."

More info.
Togashi Udo

Postby Iuchi Yukarin on Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:27 pm

As Udo finishes Yukarin has to give out a small chuckle, grinning, "Had I known I would be getting a lecture here I would have brought something to take notes on."
Iuchi Yukarin

Postby Togashi Udo on Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:37 pm

Udo blushes. "You seemed quite curious. I presumed..."

How to change the subject...

"Tell me about your jewelry. Does it hold special significance?"

More info.
Togashi Udo

Postby Iuchi Yukarin on Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:23 pm

"You misunderstand myself words; It WAS very interesting. So much so that taking notes would have really been nice."

Her grin softens into a smile.

"As to my jewelry..." she rattles her bracelets lightly, "Most of the small pieces are items that were traded for with various peoples of the Sands over the centuries. The necklace, specifically, is an heirloom though. The pearls are supposedly from spirits called the Ningyo, and the golden jade magatama was found in the Kamashimi no Komochi, already carved into its teardrop like shape. I do not believe it is awoken,but I do consider it a good luck charm of sorts, as well as a connection to my family's past."
Iuchi Yukarin

Postby Togashi Udo on Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:52 pm

"It sounds like most everything you wear has some story to tell. A quiet story that invites questions.

"Are you a trader?" he asks, quite curious. "It seems you have many things gathered through trade... how does one place a worth on something you've never before encountered that you might not need?" He gestures to his simple robes. "You spoke of monks not being worldly, and I can assure you it is at least the case in terms of possessions. I would not begin to know the value of the things you wear, other than that they may be precious to you now because of their history."

More info.
Togashi Udo

Postby Iuchi Yukarin on Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:21 am

"A trader and scholar, Togashi-sama. And that's the trick; One of the best ways to learn about other people and cultures is to trade with them. Not only do you find out what they value and why, but the interaction gets you an insight into other aspects of their culture like the food and drink they serve, as well as the clothes they ware and how they interact with one another. Then, in the process of learning about cultures and values, you learn how to tell what people are thinking without having to understand their language or sort out the lies from truths, by looking at body language and tone and such."

She smiles, "That is who I am, from the ground up I suppose."
Iuchi Yukarin

Postby Togashi Udo on Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:30 am

"Huh. So you value knowledge... would it make sense for me to try to trade you knowledge? Have you ever exchanged physical things for ideas or information?"

"It seems that you would need to be very good at understanding people to trade well with strangers."

He pauses and shuffles awkwardly for a moment. "With trade, you want to get the better end if the deal? Like a duel of goods?"

More info.
Togashi Udo

Postby Iuchi Yukarin on Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:57 am

Yukarin shrugs a little, "No more so or less than a courtier or monk duels with words really; Whatever way you look at it we go through life trying to get the best deal we can. Sometimes that's goods or money, but sometimes it's understanding or friendship, neh?"
Iuchi Yukarin

Postby Togashi Udo on Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:06 am

Udo nods thoughtfully. "There is wisdom in what you say, but it is not the common way it is viewed in the Empire." He shrugs. "I do enjoy speaking like a monk when there is a battle of words."

"Certainly everyone here is looking for the best husband or wife they can find. Do you have any tips for getting the best end of that deal?" he asks with a small smile.

More info.
Togashi Udo

Postby Iuchi Yukarin on Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:14 am

"Well, the same words I'd have in most situations; Figure out what things you value and why. When you figure that out, you can also figure out what things you're willing to give up. Then you give up on the things that you don't value to focus on the things you do. In this case, the people that match those values."
Iuchi Yukarin

Postby Togashi Udo on Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:22 am

"Hmm. I suppose I just value someone I enjoy speaking with. There is no great Dragon plan for me here, and I mostly am not pursuing some personal advantage in status. I'm fairly passive...maybe someone who is driven? So I could aid them."

His eyes had glazed over a bit, but they snapped back into focus. "Sorry, just thinking it through aloud."

More info.
Togashi Udo

PreviousNext

Return to Northwestern Yurts