[Day 2 - Late Evening] Story Time II

Re: [Day 2 - Late Evening] Story Time II

Postby Shinjo Hanashi on Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:31 pm

Hanashi turns to his fellow Marta.

"And what is false, cousin of mine? And what is true? The Moto have out-rode sandstorms. I have heard their battle cries above the roar of the wind. She has held the War Banner of the Moto as they rode into battle. Her mother has the warname 'One Eye'd Falcon', her father, 'Yellow Sand Tiger.'" He laughs a bit. "None of her enemies have lived long enough to run away, for she has killed twenty in battle. At age eleven she slew a raider seeking to steal her families horses. And she was yet short for her age, the scimitar thus half her height! And who would not rest easy guarded by such a fierce warrior?"

He grins fiercely. "Tell me, Kemuri-san, what is not true?"
Unicorn Clan • Marta Family • Teller of Tales • No Right Eye • Well-Voiced • Wounded
Status: 1.5 | Glory: 0.0 | Honor: What is Expected | Courtship points: 0
Generally Equipped: Daisho, Eyepatch, Sturdy Unicorn Clothing, Tanto, Chopsticks
When with Horse: Daikyu, Willowleaf arrows, Blanket

A voice to lighten the weight of those who travel.
Shinjo Hanashi

Postby Usagi Tomoe on Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:01 pm

Tomoe joined in the applause at the end of the tale of Khulun. The storytelling style of the Marta was certainly different than what she was used to, but it had its charm and appeal, and Hanashi told it very well.

However, hearing them speak of Massacre so... it filled her with some dread. Were there more weapons like these in the Unicorn, she wondered. How many might've lost their souls to such blades, unknowingly. And how could she possibly tell them?

She looked between Kemuri and Hanashi, seemingly interested in their discussion.
Hare Clan • Sly Courtier • Sage • Soul of Tamamo-no-Mae • Herbalist • Fox-Child
ProfileMusic
Honor: Exceptional • Status: 1.0 • Glory: 1.0 • Courtship: 6!

Has: Wakizashi, pet tortoise (Ganko), fan, scroll or book, jade, stone, med-kit.
Usagi Tomoe

Postby Otomo Tenzo on Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:27 pm

Tenzo applauded as well as the story of Moto Khulun was shared. That she was the Moto daimyo's niece he had learned last night from her, but it seemed she was, as he had suspected, much more than that. "Indeed a well-told story, Shinjo-san, and how good it was to have been able to meet Moto-san in person last evening: well-accomplished and another name among the Unicorn that might be known across the Empire in due time," he offered as he looked to one Shinjo storyteller and then the other, curious as to their little "disagreement."
Imperial | Seiyaku | Archivist | Wealthy | Blessed | Fortunate... or not so much?
Honor: What is expected | Glory: 1.0 | Status: 2.5 | Courtship Points: 8

Carries: personal chop, chopsticks, kiseru, sake cup, fan, and pleeeenty of paper

Description!
Otomo Tenzo

Postby Shinjo Kemuri on Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:03 pm

"I would think that the others on guard would not be resting." he shrugged. "More than one guard is usually posted."
Unicorn Clan Marta Family Bushi Hunter Explorer Storyteller Completely Honest Rides Sarangerel
Honor: Expected • Status: .5 • Glory: 0.0 • Courtship: 4

Carries: Water, Knife, Sake Cup, Chopsticks, Dice
As Appropriate: Daisho, Light Armor, Daikyu, Quiver, Lantern, Cloak, Hat
Shinjo Kemuri

Postby Shinjo Hanashi on Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:07 pm

Shinjo Kemuri wrote:"I would think that the others on guard would not be resting." he shrugged. "More than one guard is usually posted."

A few heartbeats of thought. "Too true Kemuri-san! I will have to seek out away to incorporate that into the renga."
Unicorn Clan • Marta Family • Teller of Tales • No Right Eye • Well-Voiced • Wounded
Generally Equipped: Daisho, Eyepatch, Sturdy Unicorn Clothing, Tanto, Chopsticks

Shinjo Hanashi

Postby Shinjo Kemuri on Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:08 pm

"It is a small thing cousin." he admitted. "But, the devil is in the details, no?"
Unicorn Clan Marta Family Bushi Hunter Explorer Storyteller Completely Honest Rides Sarangerel

Shinjo Kemuri

Postby Shinjo Hanashi on Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:15 pm

"Devils and jinn are wherever they can find themselves I think, but I'll see about reworking the lines." He smiles yet, filing away for now that bit of a task.

Shinjo Hanashi

Postby Usagi Tomoe on Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:26 pm

"Is... it common to discuss the stories?" she asked in a polite tone, clearly not wishing to mean any offense, but rather trying to understand what had just happened.
ProfileMusic

Has: Wakizashi, pet tortoise (Ganko), fan, scroll or book, jade, stone, med-kit.
Usagi Tomoe

Postby Shinjo Hanashi on Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:31 pm

He smiles, "Oh certainly. We're both part of the Marta vassal family to the Shinjo; storytelling is in our blood, so it can be easy to fall into such habits. Did you have questions?"

He looks to the crowd, "Otomo-sama shared a story last night, so I expect someone else to volunteer to share one of theirs first!" He turns to Tenzo, "Though of course Otomo-sama if you've a tale to tell, I'm not one to stop you."

Shinjo Hanashi

Postby Shinjo Kemuri on Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:35 pm

"My apologies for the interuption." Kemuri dipped his head. "My grandmother taught me to speak my mind regarding our histories. Our duty is to carry our story from generation to generation. Hanashi-sana is the Teller of Tales, however, I am still a student."

Shinjo Kemuri

Postby Usagi Tomoe on Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:40 pm

"Oh, no, no... it was no interruption, Shinjo-san," Tomoe was quick to say. "I was merely curious of your interaction, but seeing as your are Family with the same Duties, I perfectly understand why you would speak up."

As Hanashi asked for the others to share a story, the rabbit looked shyly to the others, hoping any of them would volunteer first. Hopefully the Otomo, since he seemed to already understand the custom here.
ProfileMusic

Usagi Tomoe

Postby Otomo Tenzo on Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:51 pm

"Perhaps I do, Shinjo-san, but as I had opportunity to do so last night it would be fine to hear from another first," the Otomo responded with a nod of thanks as he looked to the others assembled by the fire, courteously leaving the door open for another storyteller. "Though if there are no takers, of course, I might oblige."
Imperial | Seiyaku | Archivist | Wealthy | Blessed | Fortunate... or not so much?
Honor: What is expected | Glory: 1.0 | Status: 2.5 | Courtship Points: 8

Carries: personal chop, chopsticks, kiseru, sake cup, fan, and pleeeenty of paper

Description!
Otomo Tenzo

Postby Usagi Tomoe on Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:56 pm

Right... it would probably be poor form to force the Otomo to do it again, if he had done it yesterday. Trial by fire, or something, Tomoe thought as her mind rummaged for something more suitable for a campfire story, than another historical passage she could recite flawlessly.

"Uhm... well... being the newcomer here, I suppose it would be proper to let Otomo-sama have the chance to listen to my attempt. As poor as it might be. If I may...?"
ProfileMusic

Usagi Tomoe

Postby Shinjo Hanashi on Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:01 pm

He smiles a bit, then looks up to the sky.

Back down to the Usagi, "The skys still shimmer, the Heavens have not forsaken us, the fire still flickers and we've still got ears to hear! Please do, Usagi-sama!"

Shinjo Hanashi

Postby Usagi Tomoe on Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:20 pm

She nodded, and carefully considered her choice of words as she would try to tell it more like a story, rather than a historical account. Her training as a courtier gave her voice a natural cadence, that showed potential for storytelling. All she lacked to truly pull the performance off was the experience and training with the art of weaving a tale before an audience. But what else could one expect from a librarian...?

"Once upon a time, here was a beautiful lady who arrived at the Emperor's palace. She was Tamamo No Mae, and she was so beautiful, intelligent, and graceful that the Emperor fell in love with her the first time he saw her.

When he asked her what could he do for a visitor like her, she told him that she would like to stay at the palace. The Emperor could not resist her charm, so he agreed.

The longer she stayed at the palace, the more people around her adored her. She was the most beautiful girl they have ever seen!

She was also very polite, elegant, and very, very intelligent. The scholars in the palace often liked to test her knowledge, and she always passed their tests, sometimes even exceeding their expectations.

The Emperor, who also enjoyed her company, found himself falling in love with her even deeper. One day, he asked her if she wanted to move in with him inside the palace. Tamamo No Mae agreed.

As the days went by, she and the Emperor became a couple. They were always together, day and night, all days of the week. They were almost inseparable!

As time passed, the people of the palace noticed that the Emperor was becoming weak. Until one day, he was so severely ill that he could not get out of bed!

The servants also found it strange that at first, Tamamo No Mae was apathetic, not showing any signs of sadness, nor any emotion at all. It was just until when the Emperor had a grave near-death convulsion that Tamamo No Mae almost appeared worried and restless, sometimes even looking quite confused.

One of the palace's scholars became very suspicious of their mysterious lady visitor, that he sought help from the monks in the holy temples. He told them how the nearly-perfect Tamamo No Mae came to their town and charmed everyone, including the Emperor, and that he fears that she might not be what she appears to be.

The monks gave the scholar a small wand, and told him to trick Tamamo no Mae into touching it. They said that when she touches it, it will reveal her true nature.

The scholar returned to the palace and immediately went to Tamamo No Mae. He found Tamamo No Mae in her room, staring blankly out of the window, looking very absentminded.

The scholar took opportunity of Tamamo No Mae's absentmindedness, and asked her if she wanted to come with him for another knowledge test, to get her mind off of things. He offered his hand to her to help her rise from her seat, and when she reached out her hand, he immediately pressed the wand against her palm.

The moment the wand touched her skin, it began to smoke! Tamamo No Mae retracted her hand in pain, but it was too late. A blinding light came out of nowhere, and amidst the light and smoke, the scholar was shocked to see a number of tails unfurl behind Tamamo No Mae.

The scholar screamed for the guards. Just as the guards came bursting into the room, a cornered and panicking Tamamo No Mae transformed fully into a kyuubi, or a nine-tailed fox! She leapt out of the window and tore through the town at top speed.

The people who adored her before, upon seeing her, threw rocks and sharp objects at her. Wounded, she escaped the town and headed towards the mountains.

Back in the palace, the scholars informed the Emperor of Tamamo No Mae's true nature. Kitsune and Kyuubi are creatures who are said to use their charm to absorb the energy of people, especially those who feel closest to them.

Heartbroken and still weak, but miraculously recovering, the Emperor heavy-heartedly authorized the scholars to "do what needs to be done", for the sake of the people.

The scholars then hired two skilled warrior-assassins, Kazusa-no-suke and Miura-no-suke, to hunt and kill the fox.

It took long before the two warriors found her. Tamamo No Mae, the fox, was found hiding in the mountains, victimizing wandering travellers for food. When she saw the two warriors, she instantly attacked them, but they were too skillful so they easily dodged her attacks.

Suddenly, Miura-no-suke said aloud, "Under the order of the Emperor, a foul traitor like you must die a painful death!"

The fox suddenly stopped, then a blinding light came again, and the two warriors found a very beautiful Tamamo No Mae standing before them, with nine tails on her back, and her eyes brimming with tears. She stood there shaking, staring at the ground, looking half angry and half miserable.

"Do what you need to do," she finally said. "But I'm not going to die without a fight." Upon these words she charged at the two warriors with sharp claws and bared fangs.

The three had a long and tough fight, eventually leading to the three of them heavily wounded, and with Tamamo No Mae transforming again into a fox and fleeing the mountains.

The fox ran towards the plains, again at top speed. The warriors chased after her, but she was too fast, so one of them took out a bow and arrow. He aimed at the running fox, and with several attempts, he successfully shot an arrow through the fox's chest.

The fox, as it lay dying on the ground, once again transformed into Tamamo No Mae. Hot tears of sadness, anger, and pain ran down her beautiful face, before finally dying.

The moment she drew her last breath, she transformed into a cursed black stone, known as Sessho-seki (Killing Stone). The stone released a magical poisonous gas, killing anyone who went near it.

The stone stood there for many generations, victimizing many. Until one night, a monk passed by, and set up a ritual around the cursed stone. He prayed the whole night, muttering enchantments and setting up blessed candles and incense around the stone.

The next morning, he got up and approached the stone, even placing his hand on its surface, but miraculously, he was not harmed.

He then called out to it, "I've heard of your story, Tamamo No Mae; of how as a kyuubi you bewitched the Emperor and got what you deserved - a painful and lonely death. But I know that there is so much more than that story, and I would like to lend a listening heart for you. Please, I want to know your real story."

He waited several moments, until a voice came from the stone.

"I am Tamamo No Mae, but I haven't always been Tamamo No Mae. My real name is Mizukume. My adoptive father found me in the forest as an infant, not knowing that I was already cursed to be a nine-tailed fox, which is probably why my real parents abandoned me. When I was seventeen years old, my adoptive father was framed for treason, and the palace sentenced him into exile, eventually leading to his death.

"I was terribly angry and alone. I decided to embrace my kyuubi self and immediately sought vengeance towards the palace, eventually gaining the trust and love of the young Emperor himself. As I slowly drained his life force, I came across something unexpected: I found myself falling for him, which was not part of the plan. A part of me didn't want him to get hurt, or to die. I became very confused about things. I got my heart broken even before that arrow tore through my chest, and that's what really killed me in the end.

"Please, kind monk, I cannot take this anymore. I have been cursed since I was born, and even after I died, I am still cursed. I have killed so many, in my life and death, and I am very sorry. Please, I beg you, release me from this misery."

The monk closed his eyes, and with his hand still leaning on the rock, he muttered a solemn incantation, which he ended with "thank you, Mizukume. Be free."

A brilliant ball of light rose up from the stone, and went up into the sky. The stone, which was not cursed anymore, crumbled into pieces, and the debris scattered all over Rokugan."

---

D2 LE Fluff untrained attempt at Storytelling.: 3d10 12
ProfileMusic

Usagi Tomoe

PreviousNext

Return to Northwestern Yurts