Daily History Lessons II (Day 2, Late Morning)

Re: Daily History Lessons II (Day 2, Late Morning)

Postby Shinjo Monkhbaatar on Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:36 pm

Which is the only way he knows how to take such teasing. "I've already started doing so. There are several topics I need to focus on and learn about that I hope will prove useful in the future. Proper etiquette, theology..." he makes a motion indicating the current setting, "...history. And even been considering more professionally useful skills that might be useful in the future for certain duties."
Unicorn Clan • Bushi • Fortunate • Daring
Honor: Expected • Status: 1.0 • Glory: 0.0 • Courtship: 2

Equipment: Daisho, armor, yumi, sake cup, bottle of water, knife, Meushi
Shinjo Monkhbaatar

Postby Usagi Tomoe on Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:40 pm

"Hm," she tapped her fan against her chin. "A good wife could certainly round out the skills you feel you lack, Shinjo-sama. At least, that's what I've heard from those I know who are married. You certainly have many choices here at this miai, as there are all sorts of women invited here - tough warriors, clever courtiers, talented shugenja."
Hare Clan • Sly Courtier • Sage • Soul of Tamamo-no-Mae • Herbalist • Fox-Child
ProfileMusic
Honor: Exceptional • Status: 1.0 • Glory: 1.0 • Courtship: 6!

Has: Wakizashi, pet tortoise (Ganko), fan, scroll or book, jade, stone, med-kit.
Usagi Tomoe

Postby Shinjo Monkhbaatar on Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:52 pm

"That actually sounds like a good suggestion," he replies. "Finding someone who has overlapping interests but different life experiences would likely make for an effective match."

Shinjo Monkhbaatar

Postby Usagi Tomoe on Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:57 pm

"Only happy to offer my advice, Shinjo-sama," she said pleasantly. "Sure, I'm not an expert on marital matters, but I like to help where I can. Mostly I can help in matters of lore or court, as that is where most of my training has been, though sometimes helping means to try things you've never done before either."
ProfileMusic

Has: Wakizashi, pet tortoise (Ganko), fan, scroll or book, jade, stone, med-kit.
Usagi Tomoe

Postby Shinjo Monkhbaatar on Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:59 pm

"It's appreciated. You've been extremely helpful thus far with your lesson and advice. And quite pleasant to talk to as well Tomoe-san."

Shinjo Monkhbaatar

Postby Usagi Tomoe on Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:11 pm

She flushed a little as he used her personal name, but quickly recovered. Tomoe was a clever girl and would not be outmaneuvered easily by such daring tactics!

"Ah... well, I am pleased to hear that, Mon..." she smiled with some embarrassement. "My apologies. Your name is very unfamiliar to me, I do not think I've encountered it before. I do not wish to give you any offense by saying it improperly."
ProfileMusic

Usagi Tomoe

Postby Shinjo Monkhbaatar on Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:19 pm

It wasn't even a maneuver. When she mentioned using his name he remembered back to the suggestion that it might not be appropriate. The fact that she seemed okay with it rather than chiding him made him feel more comfortable but he still was a bit embarrassed that he had forgotten.

"Ah. It's Monkhbaatar, but I often go by Monkh with others, which is fine with me," he says returning the smile. "It's actually from the Ujik-hai version of Mekhem. I don't speak it but names are common enough that I know what a lot of them mean. Monkhbaatar is 'eternal hero'."

Shinjo Monkhbaatar

Postby Usagi Tomoe on Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:30 pm

"'Eternal hero'?" the Hare mused, then folded her fan together and used the smallest end of it to draw the kanji in the earth before them. Even with such an impromptu instrument and canvas, the rabbit seemed skilled at the task as she wrote it with some flourish.

永勇

"I wonder how it is written in its native form, but this is one way to write it in Rokugani." She cocked her head to the side, giving the strange name another try. "Monkhu... bata-aru? Hm, no, that's not quite how you say it."

---

D2 LM Calligraphy/Int to write Monhkbataar's name in Rokugani kanji. Let's make 1 raise to impress! TN 20: 6d10o10k4 34
ProfileMusic

Usagi Tomoe

Postby Shinjo Monkhbaatar on Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:38 pm

"Yes," he says looking at the kanji and nodding. "That is how I learned to write it in Rokugani."

He then pulls out a small knife that's clearly not for weapon use and carves the Ujik-hai spelling underneath hers. It's nothing special or fancy. "I usually use the Rokugani characters for paperwork or writing. Though my back banner has both on it. I'm not as good at calligraphy, but I'm literate enough that I can write a letter that is legible." He chuckles at that. "Yet another thing I'll need to improve in the future undoubtedly."

Shinjo Monkhbaatar

Postby Usagi Tomoe on Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:43 pm

She seemed positively interested in seeing the name written in its original form, even if he did not have her flourish with calligraphy. It looked quite different from Rokugani, but it was quite fascinating nonetheless.

"... I think I might opt for your nickname of Monkh-san, if you do not mind? At least until I get a better handle on how to correctly say your name."
ProfileMusic

Usagi Tomoe

Postby Shinjo Monkhbaatar on Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:47 pm

"That's more than fine, Tomoe-san. So long as you can get the whole thing down before the wedding if that's how things turn out between us," he says with a cheeky smile.

Shinjo Monkhbaatar

Postby Usagi Tomoe on Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:50 pm

"Ah!" she exclaimed with some surprise, now upset that her fan was closed. "How very forward of you!"

I reserve the right to call my husband by whatever nickname suits him the best. Hmph!

She raised a hand to her mouth as she supressed a girlish laughter. "Quite the clever tactic you have there, I must say. Lulling us girls into a false sense of security like that."
ProfileMusic

Usagi Tomoe

Postby Shinjo Monkhbaatar on Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:55 pm

"I assure you, my intentions are quite honest. We may or may not end up together, that being the purpose of this miai. But I would like to at least make a few close friends as well. I see no reason to let the chance to do so slip through my fingers," he says with a smile. "And I could certainly be happy with an intelligent, dutiful, and beautiful member of a clan born from a hero being either a spouse or a friend... or both."

Shinjo Monkhbaatar

Postby Usagi Tomoe on Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:03 pm

"Heh, you do raise a good point," she smiled in return. But a bunny was not always easy to catch, even as she gave him a small wink. "And you're quite the flatterer too... and not bad to look at yourself."

"A miai like this is certainly an opportunity to gain new friends and allies, no doubt. Especially when we all are in the unique position of furthering knowledge and understanding between the returned children of Shinjo and the Empire they have come home to."
ProfileMusic

Usagi Tomoe

Postby Shinjo Monkhbaatar on Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:11 pm

"I'm glad you think so," he replies. "But I think that being able to speak with you this comfortably is worth far more than any physical traits. I am not the most clever man, but I am observant and I can already tell that there is a great deal I can learn from spending time with you. I only hope that I am up to the task of returning that favor, and I will certainly be trying my best to do so."

Shinjo Monkhbaatar

PreviousNext

Return to Northern Yurts