(Day 4, LA) Here Comes the Rain Again (Butaj's Yurt)

(Day 4, LA) Here Comes the Rain Again (Butaj's Yurt)

Postby Moto Butaj on Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:17 pm

And dinner is not yet ready. Butaj is roasting a lamb, with the fire fueled with various steppe grasses for additional aroma. The amount of dense smoke is great so he is doing it just outside his yurt, not within. It's generally a boring activity once everything is prepared for roasting, so he plays on topshur while observing the darkening skies with some concern.

(Song!)
Scorpion Clan | Bushi | Big Bad Keshig | Black Horse | Slacker | Soul of the Steppe | Honest
Profile | Expected Honor | Status 1 | Glory 0

Has: furs & leathers, daisho, knife, one of musical instruments, skin of kumis, keepsake, Yuki's fan
Sometimes also: bow, horse, light armor, other musical instruments, tent
Moto Butaj

Re: (Day 4, LA) Here Comes the Rain Again (Butaj's Yurt)

Postby Bayushi Hotaru on Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:50 pm

Just as the clouds were folding and crumpling each other to create more of a darkened overcast on the village, Hotaru was making her way back from her stroll around the village. She was already pushing her luck with the day and that it was probably best to make her way back to the yurt before the rain really came down on her. While she was walking, she couldn't help but catch scent of something sweet and fragrant smelling, which made her veer off on her intended path slightly. Whatever it is, it smells better than salted rations.

When happened upon the site of the roast, she gave a few big blinks and shrunk an arm back when she discovered that it was a roasting lamb carcass. "Oh!"
Scorpion Clan • Shrine Maiden • Diviner • Dangerously Cute • Slightly Short
Status: 1.0 • Glory: 1.0 • Honour: Untrustworthy • Courtship Points: 9

Description, Artist Details in Description
Personal Effects: Wakizashi (where appropriate), scroll satchel, fan, jade charm, mask, fortune sticks, kawaru coins

Mamoru, Protector of Shrines
Bayushi Hotaru

Postby Moto Butaj on Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:59 pm

Butaj spots the appetized lady and nods for a greeting but does not stop the music until the song ends. "It's not ready yet but if you have some patience you could join Butaj for dinner." He calls.
Scorpion Clan | Bushi | Big Bad Keshig | Black Horse | Slacker | Soul of the Steppe | Honest

Has: furs & leathers, daisho, knife, one of musical instruments, skin of kumis, keepsake, Yuki's fan
Moto Butaj

Postby Bayushi Hotaru on Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:36 pm

Hotaru's shock managed to subside as she found herself a little distracted by the Moto who was playing his instrument. The mood feels a little conflicting to her, between the peaceful piece Butaj selected and the ghastly discovery of a roasted carcass of an animal not usually found in Rokugani cuisine. There was perhaps a bit of a double standard when she was used to seeing fowl and such being cooked. Nevertheless, she remained quiet and allowed him to finish his sophisticated rhythm.

She mustered a small smile and bowed deeply in thanks for offering. "Thank you for your offer...first, may I ask what's being cooked at the moment?" With it being roasted, she could scarcely make the animal of origin too. Is that a dog?

"I think I've seen you around the camp here the other day...My name is Bayushi Hotaru, honoured shrine maiden of the Shining Retreat. I don't I had the honour of knowing your name directly, Moto-san."

Personal Effects: Wakizashi (where appropriate), scroll satchel, fan, jade charm, mask, fortune sticks, kawaru coins

Bayushi Hotaru

Postby Moto Butaj on Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:52 am

"It's a young lamb, roasted and smoked in grasses and herbs." He rises, trying to emulate the bow after the deep one of hers. He doesn't remember if he has seen her. "Moto Butaj. Butaj is happy to meet Bayushi Hotaru." He gestures toward adjacent sitting log. "Butaj would like to know what shrine maidens do."

Moto Butaj

Postby Bayushi Hotaru on Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:23 am

"Oh, a young lamb..." She murmured to herself, recalling she had to eat such meat before in a meal where Unicorn were present. However, it was packed in neat little balls or in dumplings where she didn't have to see the meat itself. Do you think it's the same one who tried to eat me?

She smiled warmly as she made her way over to the log and say down, smoothing down the multiple layers of her outfit. "I'm glad you're curious, Moto-san! Shrine maiden have many roles. They tend to shrines and temples, as its holy custodian. They also function as the face of the temple in place of monks or priests, greeting those who visit and helping them however they can. However, they also serve a religious significance as well, hearing the kami and reading the will of the Fortunes, bringing that message to the mortal realm. There are a few ways they do this, I personally do so through blessings, divinations and dance."

Bayushi Hotaru

Postby Moto Butaj on Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:42 am

Butaj listens intently while pouring some dripping fat back over the meat with a makeshift wooden ladle. He picks out what interests him most and brightens at that. "Oooh, dance! Butaj loves dance. He would love to see Bayushi Hotaru dance, or even dance with you if it is allowed and the dance is possible to learn quickly."

Moto Butaj

Postby Bayushi Hotaru on Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:45 pm

"Ooooh...you dance?" She said it inquisitively, as she wondered if the Moto had something civilized enough to be considered a dance. Then again, the same Moto did play that contemplative piece just a few moments ago. It would be so easily to be twice surprised that the Moto have culture. "...I shouldn't be surprised, especially after your music. It was a very lovely piece!"

"I would be happy to dance, I'm merely looking for the opportunity...as my dance differs much from the other dances found in Rokugan, at least in purpose. I'm practiced in the art of kaguya, dances meant to channel the kami and for the purposes of worship. Usually, it is mostly only priests and monks who learn such a dance." She said with a faint smile, hoping that Butaj wasn't discouraged by her explaination. "Maybe...I can learn your dance? I'm sure that I could find a way to may apply what I know to learn another form!"

Bayushi Hotaru

Postby Moto Butaj on Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:58 am

"Ha! You want to learn biyelgee? That makes Butaj very glad!" The man puts away the ladle and stands up enthusiastically. "It is a lively dance, demands energy, have you eaten well today?"

Moto Butaj

Postby Bayushi Hotaru on Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:18 am

Eaten well? There was a questionable glance from Hotaru for just a moment before she bobbed her head a few times enthusiastically. She stood up as well, seeing as he did. "I think I've eaten well enough! Probably nothing like a banquet or anything, but I had planned to do a lot of running around this afternoon and prepared for it."

Bayushi Hotaru

Postby Moto Butaj on Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:35 am

"Ha! If all shrine maidens are like you than Butaj greatly respects them for how they are prepared for physical exercise!" Hype is high and vibe is right, so Butaj quickly grabs his instrument and begins to vigorously play to set himself into the mood, then adds his singing voice that takes the weight of the composition on itself as he puts topshur aside and begins to dance! Lots of movement is related to alternating between sitting, kneeling, squatting and standing with very energetic, sharp movements of head, torso and arms. Butaj proves to be really good at this, and he gestures for Hotaru to join him!

(No rolling because of day flip, but Butaj has 5k4 pool for it)

(The song and dance!)

Moto Butaj

Postby Bayushi Hotaru on Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:01 pm

Hotaru blinked as Butaj did a rather good job of injecting a lot of energy into the air and he solely did that himself, too! With both his singing and the topshur, he was a one man band. She was a bit at a loss of what to do herself, merely just standing there and staring as he put in all of the work. Lost at first, she wondering if she should be clapping along or cheering. However, that question was put aside when he began to dance...

"Oooh, me too?" She questioned him as he began to dance. "Like that? Uhm, oh!"

Awkwardly, she began to follow along with his movements. He wasn't joking when he talked about having a full meal. Her dances were more subtle and minimalistic, as all Rokugani dances were, which made his own dance seem like a vigorous exercise in comparison! She half-sats, but quickly fumbled onto the next step as she jumped up to stand and tried to follow the arm gesture, then what he was doing with his hands... I am sooo making a fool out of myself!

Bayushi Hotaru

Postby Moto Butaj on Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:22 am

Butaj smiles companionably and stays on one sequence until she will pick it up. The dance is clearly an enjoyment for him, something he wants to share, so he does his utmost to help Hotaru pick it up and enjoy with him rather than focus on what is not inaccurate. He encourages her with beaming and vocalises a cheer he weaves into a song each time she does it right.

Moto Butaj

Postby Bayushi Hotaru on Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:09 pm

"Uhm, not like that? Like this instead? Am I doing this right, then?" She said with an unsure smile as she managed to follow the steps he guided her with her hands, which was an aspect she focused on during their lesson. It seemed almost like a martial gesture and easily not something she had practiced before when it came to style, easily making her more tired as she got into it. He wasn't joking about the meal, thing.

It helped that she wasn't scolded for butchering the dance at first. In traditional Rokugan, you either had it, or you failed.

Bayushi Hotaru

Postby Moto Butaj on Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:09 am

Butaj is quick to praise and encourage and slow to scold, cleverly drawing out all the enthusiasm she can muster to get all the dancing sweat out of her! He makes it fun by adding varied facial expressions that go well with the story told in the song. He laughs and cheers and yips and ululates intermittently, between stanzas. It will only end when she says firm no or runs out of energy!

Moto Butaj

Next

Return to Northwestern Yurts