Lion Poll: The Iron Chrysanthemum

What will the Lion do about the Hantei and the returned spirits?

Poll ended at Fri May 12, 2017 9:18 pm

The spirits are unnatural and should be returned to Toshigoku! With the assistance of the Kitsu, the Lion put the spirit armies to the sword. The act of cutting down their ancestors takes a terrible psychological toll upon the Lion, however, and when they turn to the Kitsu daimyo for guidance, she fails them and claims that the Lion Clan is doomed. Seppuku and depression ripple outwards through the Clan to devastating effect.
12%
The Lion allow the spirits of their ancestors to move freely among the Clan, that they might speak with their ancestors. Even those spirits who are not Lion are allowed to return to their homelands with travel papers issued by the Lion. Unbeknownst to the Lion, however, this is all part of the Steel Chrysanthemum's plan, and the returned spirits begin to agitate their descendants into increased tensions with the throne. The Clans begin to separate into "traditionalist" and "modernist" factions as the debate grows in the courts, dividing the Empire in half just when it needs to be strongest.
12%
The Lion Champion personally meets with Hantei XVI to discuss the issue of the spirits. The strength and surety of the Hantei catch the young Lion Champion off guard, however, and it casts the weakness of the current Emperor into stark contrast. When the Hantei promises the lands of the Crane to the Lion Champion for her support, she bends her knee and pledges fealty to the former Hantei.
31%
The Lion delay their decision until the Emperor can arrive to speak with his ancestor. When he does, however, the Steel Chrysanthemum takes his descendant hostage and threatens to murder the Emperor unless he abdicates his throne. The Emperor refuses and is killed as the spirits rampage through Morikage Toshi, throwing the Lion Clan into chaos and leaving the Empress, Hantei Tokiyo, in control of Rokugan.
33%
The Kitsu daimyo visits the spirit camp to atone for the sin of opening the Toshigoku portal that dragged the spirits back into Ningen-do. While in the camp, she is attacked by the spirits, who brutalize and murder her before seizing control of the Mirror of Sorrow. The spirits present the mirror to Hantei XVI, giving him access to the whole of Toshigoku. The mirror shatters as he uses it to open a colossal tear in dimensions, giving him an army of slaughter spirits bolstered by the ancient Kitsu... who have been warped and twisted into the fearsome Tsuno. The armies of the Iron Chrysanthemum then march on the throne, plunging the Empire into war.
12%

Total votes : 51

Re: Lion Poll: The Iron Chrysanthemum

Postby Kitsune Takeo on Thu May 11, 2017 2:22 pm

Kitsu Takashi wrote:I'm genuinely surprised that there isn't enough Lion hate to have produced more votes for the Doom option. Especially when a post-ancestor-focused Lion Clan is such an interesting thought experiment.

Just seemed relatively boring compared to the others.

Maybe more interesting for Lion character development, but doesn't appear to have a "flashpoint" event that the other clans can react to.
Fox Clan * Bushi * The Fox Prince * Honorable * Hero of the People * Uncompromising * Idealistic

Status: 3.0 ; Glory 1.0 ; Honor: Exceptional ; Courtship Points: 5

Carries: Daisho, yumi, light armor
Accompanied by: a red fox named Asahi

Kitsune Takeo

Postby Matsu Nintoku on Thu May 11, 2017 2:34 pm

I made people like Lions.

I'll go away now
Lion Clan • Bushi • Hero • Kuge • Sometimes Smiles • Cuter Than A Goat
Honor: Exceptional | Glory: 3.0 | Status: 1.0 | Courtship Points: 3
Carries: Daisho, Sturdy kimono, Travel pack, Khulun's EXQUISITE fan.
Description
Matsu Nintoku

Postby Akodo Runno on Thu May 11, 2017 2:36 pm

Matsu Nintoku wrote:I made people like Lions.

I'll go away now

Eh Lion has been pretty popular I think, really none of the Clans has gotten all that much hate out of proportion with the others.

And after this vote all the clans will be in pretty rough condition. :lol:
Lion Clan • Samurai • Tactician
Status: 1.0 • Glory 1.0 • Honor: Exceptional • Courtship: 2
Carries: Things
Akodo Runno

Postby Shinjo Monkhbaatar on Thu May 11, 2017 2:43 pm

I think that people that dislike Lion just really dislike them.
Unicorn Clan • Bushi • Fortunate • Daring
Honor: Expected • Status: 1.0 • Glory: 0.0 • Courtship: 2

Equipment: Daisho, armor, yumi, sake cup, bottle of water, knife, Meushi
Shinjo Monkhbaatar

Postby Akodo Runno on Thu May 11, 2017 2:47 pm

Shinjo Monkhbaatar wrote:I think that people that dislike Lion just really dislike them.

That is true of most clans really. Of course when it comes down to it, most people who hate a clan often point to a character (PC, NPC, or canon) from that clan they like so really clan hate only means something when you have polls like this. Where that hate would be basically meaningless under the pile of don't hate. :lol:
Akodo Runno

Postby Otaku Imane on Thu May 11, 2017 2:48 pm

I didn't like Lion until I made myself play one. Guess I should play a Crane one of these days...
Unicorn • Shiotome • Prodigy • Musical • Honest • Gaijin Name • Archer • Lancer • Singer
Status: 2.0 | Glory: 0.0 | Infamy: 0.1 | Honor: A Soul Above Question | Courtship Points: 9
Languages: Mekhem
Carries: Sturdy Clothing, Daisho, Flute, Light armour (where appropriate)
Carried by: Almatar (Otaku warhorse, where appropriate)
Otaku Imane

Postby Moto Baatar on Thu May 11, 2017 3:03 pm

I like the Lion, but I voted for the Lion joining the other team because honorable service under an evil Emperor is such a classic Lion trope.
Unicorn Clan • Samurai • Gaijin Name • Failure of Courtesy
Honor: Untrustworthy • Status: 1.0 • Glory: 0.0 • Courtship: 4
carries: scimitar, wakizashi, shochu, puppy. when appropriate: Unicorn horse, riding armor
Moto Baatar

Postby Matsu Nintoku on Thu May 11, 2017 3:08 pm

Moto Baatar wrote:I like the Lion, but I voted for the Lion joining the other team because honorable service under an evil Emperor is such a classic Lion trope.

I love the Lion and I also voted for that. If only because we can get some Mandate of Heaven style Empire =D
Lion Clan • Bushi • Hero • Kuge • Sometimes Smiles • Cuter Than A Goat
Honor: Exceptional | Glory: 3.0 | Status: 1.0 | Courtship Points: 3
Carries: Daisho, Sturdy kimono, Travel pack, Khulun's EXQUISITE fan.
Description
Matsu Nintoku

Postby Akodo Runno on Thu May 11, 2017 3:12 pm

Moto Baatar wrote:I like the Lion, but I voted for the Lion joining the other team because honorable service under an evil Emperor is such a classic Lion trope.

MS did a pretty good job of making this a Sophie's Choice for the Lion.

Is their loyalty to the Throne or the Man?

Can the ancestors be wrong?
Akodo Runno

Postby Asako Yuki on Thu May 11, 2017 3:14 pm

As a wise woman once said:

Asako Yuki • Phoenix Clan • Bushi • Dangerously Beautiful • Gullible
Status: 1.0 | Glory: 1.0 | Honor: What is Expected | Courtship Points: 5

Carries: Daisho, Smoking Pipe, necklace
Languages: Mekhem, Yobanjin
Asako Yuki

Postby Mindshred on Thu May 11, 2017 6:13 pm

Akodo Runno wrote:

MS did a pretty good job of making this a Sophie's Choice for the Lion.

Is their loyalty to the Throne or the Man?

Can the ancestors be wrong?

Mindshred

Postby Kitsu Takashi on Thu May 11, 2017 6:21 pm

Kakita Nanami wrote:
Kitsu Takashi wrote:I'm genuinely surprised that there isn't enough Lion hate to have produced more votes for the Doom option. Especially when a post-ancestor-focused Lion Clan is such an interesting thought experiment.

I chose the way that would see the Lion doom themselves by trying to fight both the Crab and Unicorn... <_<

Instead of deeply internal, personal, soul-crushing-depression-type doom? *Shakes head* I don't understand this Kakita at all. Lions practically get off on being killed in battle.
Lion Clan * Bushi/Courtier * Sensational * The jolliest Kitsu
Status: 1.0 | Glory: 1.0 | Honor: As expected | Courtship points: 4
Always carries: Daisho, unremarkable clothing, and some writing supplies (calligraphy set if planning ahead, but always a bit of charcoal and parchment).
Kitsu Takashi

Postby Akodo Runno on Thu May 11, 2017 6:27 pm

Kitsu Takashi wrote:
Kakita Nanami wrote:

I chose the way that would see the Lion doom themselves by trying to fight both the Crab and Unicorn... <_<

Instead of deeply internal, personal, soul-crushing-depression-type doom? *Shakes head* I don't understand this Kakita at all. Lions practically get off on being killed in battle.

It's actually worse for the Unicorn and Crab. The Lion army is still in top form with no other commitments. The Crab are stuck on the wall.... with a large number of undead ponies about to hit them. The Unicorn are about to lose some ponies to saving Shinjo and she might kill some of her own if her behavior mimics the Canon.

Oh and regardless more Shadowlands, more Kato machinations, and now a spirit army. Rokugan is not in it's best shape.

May you live in interesting times indeed..... :?
Akodo Runno

Postby Asako Yuki on Thu May 11, 2017 7:09 pm

I disagree there. Lion have suffered losses against the Phoenix, the Crab, and the Dragon, and then suffered even more losses when Kyuden Akodo got nuked. They probably still have the best armies in Rokugan right now (with the possible exception of the Crane, who have little direct experience but haven't suffered really any combat losses), but I'd say they are far from top form.
Asako Yuki • Phoenix Clan • Bushi • Dangerously Beautiful • Gullible
Status: 1.0 | Glory: 1.0 | Honor: What is Expected | Courtship Points: 5

Carries: Daisho, Smoking Pipe, necklace
Languages: Mekhem, Yobanjin
Asako Yuki

Postby Miya Mei on Thu May 11, 2017 7:14 pm

Lots of Lion were killed in the battles of the Naga War.

Imperial Legions are probably the strongest standing army to be honest.
Imperial | Duelist | Kakita Trained | Unmarriable
Honor: Exceptional | Glory: 1.0 |Infamy 1.0 | Status 1.5 | CP: -2

Description

Wielder of an elegantly decorated katana, Meng. D8+ carries Shinjo Kemuri's Fan
Miya Mei

PreviousNext

Return to Out of Character Chat